7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Extended warranty options? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 PM

Extended warranty options? Worth it?

Hey all,

My 2009 has 34k on it and after a mere 19 months my warranty is close to being over(missing hyundai right about now). I am wondering if anyone has an extended warranty and what kind of prices they are? Are they reliable companies? I have never looked into it before.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 AM

That is a tough one. It will have to be up to you. For me they aren't worth it. Think about how much one costs, usually a couple of thousand right? Not sure where you find them, except the dealer. But compare the cost of the warranty to the cost of something going out. Now if you were to take that money you would spend on a warranty and save it, you more then likely will be able to simply pay for what went wrong.

That is what I do. For you only you know what is right. Some people simply like the fact that they have that warranty, kinda like a safety blanket. Call around and see what they cost! Maybe others have founds some and can chime in. usually I am offered them when I buy, and i figure out the money they cost, not in monthly payments, but total cost, and go from there.

Good luck, let us know what you find out
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM

I bought my 2009 Maxima w/ 40,000 miles on it from the Ford dealership where my wife works and got it for dealer cost (used car auction price) plus $500. I also bought an extended warranty (not sure right now which company) for about $1200. It covers the car bumper to bumper to 75000 miles and includes round trip transportation to/from the nearest dealer (185 miles one way). Like a previous poster said, the warranty is my comfort blanket since I live a long ways from any qualified repair facility and the car has an unknown usage/maintenance history. Since I got a good deal on the car, I ended up paying about market price for it out the door including the warranty.

I understand the previous poster's strategy of just paying for repairs and that's probably what I would have done if I lived closer to a dealership I trusted or knew of a local shop that could work on the car. After all, my 97 SE Max ran 200,000 miles without a major failure.

But cars today are so loaded w/ electronics, sensors, and the like that I visualize things going wrong that only a dealer can fix .... and dealerships seem like doctors who prescribe lots of unnecessary fixes I'm unqualified to evaluate in order to drive bills up. I'm not self insured for major medical bills and I like not being self insured for major car repair bills.

Anyway ... I can afford it so I paid for the comfort blanket and sleep well at night, YMMV.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka

Last edited by jlguru; 12-27-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Love my '09

WOW, talk about a can-o-worms question.

If you're a person who keeps their car for 4 years or less then probably not. If you're one who keeps their car around for MUCH longer than 4 years it's great peace of mind.

When buying a car new, they'll try to push the warranty really hard, if you plan for this and shop when they want to clear out the lots, you can sometimes get them to toss it in for 'free'. Well not really for free as they usually screw you over on a trade anyway.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 AM

I do not actually agree with the first poster that you can pay for these costs out of pocket and save. It depends on two factors - how long you plan on keeping your car, and how well you maintain/how hard you are on your car?

When I got my last car, a 02 Sentra SE-R, I bought it with an extended warranty through my bank that financed it. At the time I sort of felt like a sucker and planned on not doing that next time. Low and behold though a few months before the warranty expired my transmission went, and I got them to cover the entire rebuild which saved me $3000. On top of a few brake jobs I had covered and other extraneous things, I was able to get ~$3800 of work out of a $1700 warranty. DEFINITELY worth it. Then again I was very hard on my car and drove it like it had more cylinders than it actually did.

This time I bought my Max under warranty and it has a CPO coverage to 100k, after that if anyone offers me something I'll probably extend whatever it is on the drivetrain/transmission because if anything goes wrong there it is expensive regardless of the type of car.

To be honest I'm more concerned with cosmetic damage to this car, scratches to the paint or wearing on the leather interior. Wonder if anyone offers separate warranty's on those things, I know my dealer offered me some at the time of sale but it was too expensive.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM

which warranty do you want? i can give u prices directly from nissan so you will know the dealer cost
Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 AM

what is dealer cost for the wrap coverage on top of a CPO car ?

Originally Posted by KIDGLOK
which warranty do you want? i can give u prices directly from nissan so you will know the dealer cost
Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 PM

My 09 has a 60 month 72k bumper to bumper, like someone else mentioned I got it when purchasing the car and still got screwed on the deal

Extended warranties are like insurance, I had an 03 4Runner and purchased an 800 dollar bumper to bumper 60k coverage and had like 5000 in warranty repair work done, that same warranty is like 2800 today.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 AM

I am trying to look into it. I usually keep my cars 4 years or so, which means I have another good 2.5 years left with the car. I drive about 22k miles a year. Thats a lot of uncovered miles on the road.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
what is dealer cost for the wrap coverage on top of a CPO car ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maximas are class 2
Old 12-30-2010, 06:56 PM

some dealerships "pack" the warranty so the house makes a hidden profit they dont pay the employees on, such as this book:

Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM

wow I was going to say that 795 price for 100k miles sounds like a deal! Mind as well buy a used one since u get full, bumper to bumper warranty to 100k miles......if the world was perfect they would honor their warranty right ?

I can't believe they pack it like that. That's just unbelievable. But hey thanks for the screen shots.

Originally Posted by KIDGLOK
some dealerships "pack" the warranty so the house makes a hidden profit they dont pay the employees on, such as this book:

Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 PM

it depends on the dealer, some dealers dont pack them at all, some pack $150 over, our book is $310 as you can see, now the regular used warranty is about $2000 with no pack for a 96/120000