7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Reverse Tilt-Down malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:32 PM

HELP: Reverse Tilt-Down malfunction

Hi All:
Anyone else had this happen? The side mirrors tilted as they should when I backed out of my parking space at work this afternoon. As I drove off, I noticed that my passenger side mirror was facing all the way up. The driver side appeared fine and I was able to readjust the passenger side mirror with no problem.

I did some tests when I got home -
I put the car in park and tried both memory functions - on both settings, the passenger side was tilting all the way up.
When I put the car on reverse, the passenger mirror was tilting too far down - I can see the front door handle.

I got the car in September 2010 and have just a little over 8K on it. Just wondering if anyone have any clue what the issue could be. Hopefully this fixes itself overnight =) Otherwise, I'll have to go take it in for service.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM

where do you live could be ice build up also try moving the mirror by hand cause the gears mite be off track ,mine have done this in the past and this fixed it.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Love my '09

Is your mirror switch in the middle, left, or right?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 AM

Unhappy Apparently the switch doesn't matter

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Is your mirror switch in the middle, left, or right?
Left the switch in the middle last night so that it doesn't have to move when I get in the car this morning. Oddly enough, as I drove off this morning, same thing happened. Psgr side mirror tilted all the way up. Which doesn't make sense since it should not have moved - reverse tilt was off and the memory function was on my setting last night

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport
where do you live could be ice build up also try moving the mirror by hand cause the gears mite be off track ,mine have done this in the past and this fixed it.
Here in NJ where it's about to go below freezing again! I thought about the weather too that I did move it by hand a bit and even tried to feel if something was behind the mirror that may be jarring it. I may have to try it again and see if I could realign it.

For all I know, someone at work may have bumped into it

This is covered by warranty right? I'm hoping that this is not an electrical problem that would cost me.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:26 PM

I think this happened to me the other day. Noticed my mirrors were off so I went to adjust them and for some reason I couldn't get them adjusted right. Looked at them later and they had re-adjusted to a new position while driving? At least now I could put them back in their normal spot. Hasn't happened since but I did thing it was pretty weird.

Also had a few times where I got in and the auto-telescoping steering wheel didn't move. Manually moved it down using the switch and then it remembers it for a while.

I'm just making a short list and going to have Nissan look at these when I get my oil changed.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Update...

Well, issue still exists - will have to bring it in to service

New detail is that the issue is also linked to the keyfob - probably since it's linked to the memory system. It's weird coz the system seems to be unable to retain the setting in the memory that it always readjust. Who knows. A little upset since I have to adjust it everytime I get in the car right now.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quick question. Does the reverse tilt-down feature come with maxima's equipped with backup cameras? I've never noticed my side mirrors tilting down, I have the sports package with monitor package (backup camera).
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by dappy15
Quick question. Does the reverse tilt-down feature come with maxima's equipped with backup cameras? I've never noticed my side mirrors tilting down, I have the sports package with monitor package (backup camera).
Yes, but only if you have the mirror switch on the left side of the dash turned to the left or right setting. If the mirror switch is in the middle setting, the tilt-down is turned off. As info, the monitor package is not tied to the outside mirrors in any way.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Same malfunctioned happened to my car. Has to do with the position sensors in the mirror failing. Without knowing the postion of the mirror, the computer just keeps moving the mirror until it hits the max adjustment.

Long story short, the mirror needs to be replaced. Mine was done under warranty, although it did take some *****ing because at first they couldn't reproduce the problem and denied my claim. Like I have time to take my $40k car to the dealer and complain about problems that don't exist...

After "speaking" to the manager, the mirror was promptly ordered and replaced thus solving the issue entirely.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 AM

I'm going to try to get to the service department this weekend...should be fun. I've noticed now that with the tilt-switch on, the problematic mirror no longer tilts down even thought the driver side still does. So disappointed
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Well, got it in to be looked at this morning and service manager states that the side mirror has "frozen" which caused the malfunction. He says that he sees this happen to these automatic windows "often." I asked him how often it happens and he said that about 1 in 20 side mirrors this will occur. Oh well, still under warranty so they are ordering the part for me next week and will take it in then.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

does anyone know how to set the tilt down feature to go lower than it does because I cant see the pavement at the level it tilts to currently...thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by vish
does anyone know how to set the tilt down feature to go lower than it does because I cant see the pavement at the level it tilts to currently...thanks
I don't believe this is adjustable. It's strange that you can't see the pavement. I am 5' 11" and my wife is 5' even and we can both see fine with the tilt.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok, thanks for the feedback. i will try and adjust the mirror settings slightly to see if this helps.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by vish
ok, thanks for the feedback. i will try and adjust the mirror settings slightly to see if this helps.
That might work. It is possible that if we aim the mirror slightly lower for everyday driving, then when we drop the car in reverse, the mirror will drop the same amount as usual, and end up pointing slightly lower. But that is a guess. It can easily be proved or disproved by experimentation. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Adjustable Mirror Issue

OK, so it's been a long time since the last post, but my passenger mirror is doing the out of alignment adjustment thing too when placed in reverse. Since I'm out of warranty I guess I'll need to have this thing replaced...kind of nervous to hear how much this is going to cost me. Yikes!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:04 PM

mirror

Originally Posted by MaxMan2010
OK, so it's been a long time since the last post, but my passenger mirror is doing the out of alignment adjustment thing too when placed in reverse. Since I'm out of warranty I guess I'll need to have this thing replaced...kind of nervous to hear how much this is going to cost me. Yikes!!!
I had both of mine replaced due to moisture... however it was 400 usd each w/o labor. they are really expensive.. Good luck
Old 11-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Similar problem with my passenger mirror. I've checked the adjustment switch and it is not in the center so that isn't it. Just the passenger mirror drivers is fine. Also the mirror does not auto adjust when the seat presets are pressed either. The controls move it just fine but the passenger auto move/tilt isn't working.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's all in the manual. Everyone on here read the manual! Your car is tilting in reverse because somewhere along the way you or someone else set each mirror, one at a time, and stored each mirror where you wanted it to tilt down to when backing up. Also if your car had the reverse mirrors programmed for tilt down in reverse before at any time in past then it doesn't matter if it's in center position it's gonna tilt down. If you turn the switch to the left then only the right mirror well tilt in reverse and vice versa with the left. If you want the tilt down to not tilt when backing up then you need to read the manual section 3 pg 28 on reprogramming your mirrors when in reverse and set up the mirrors in normal position and store it like that so then when it's in reverse they wont tilt if you don't set them to go down when you reset them. If you don't want them to go down on backup then you have to program them in whatever position you want them to be in upon backup. You put on e bake, then push ignition to on postion (but not started). Then you push memory switch 1 or 2 for at least a second then place mirror switch to left then depress brake pedal n then put shifter in reverse. Then adjust that mirror to where you want it to be when backing, Then push set switch and within 5 secs push memory 1 or 2. The light for that memory will come on for about 5 secs. After light goes off that mirror is stored then repeat and follow steps for right mirror.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 AM

I have the same thing happening to my passenger mirror.
The funny thing is that I left the car standing for 4 months while I was away and a friend kept coming and ran it so the battery won't die.
When I came back and took the car for a ride the mirror was malfunctioning.
I thought that it was just a reset issue but it was not.
The dealership told me also that I need to change the mirror which is crazy.
It all worked fine when I left and it broke sitting in the parking spot 😅😅😅.
It cracks me up how things like this happen.