7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

PLEASE TELL ME WHY TO USE PREMIUM GAS

Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by maxxxxspeed
I am probably going to get bashed by all of "the KNOW IT ALLS"...
Not at all. There was enough sense in your post to make it worth reading. Yeah, it was a little long, but otherwise fine.

The VQ runs best on the recommended 91 octane... any higher is a waste of money, and any lower is a risk to performance loss. I think everyone reading this could agree with that statement right there, without embellishment.

(ps. Your follow-up, all-caps post kind of repudiates the intent of the previous one. But that's OK. It's just Teh Org.)

Last edited by Rochester; 03-01-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM

ya but that goes with any engine, u can take a honda fit and apply logic to that engine as well.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Not at all. There was enough sense in your post to make it worth reading. Yeah, it was a little long, but otherwise fine.

The VQ runs best on the recommended 91 octane... any higher is a waste of money, and any lower is a risk to performance loss. I think everyone reading this could agree with that statement right there, without embellishment.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 AM

AND just as a side note... if you fill up at a pump that has only ONE hose, about 4-5gallons of your fuel your are getting when you push the 91-93 button is whatever the person previously got (most likely 87) therefore lowering your octane rating below the RECOMMENDED octane rating.
+1.

I find pumps with dedicated hoses because of this.

For those who want to spend a little extra money because it gives them peace of mind, this is the exact same thing as people who buy lots of car insurance vs people who have bare minimum. Some just like peace of mind, even at the cost of money, while others like to "run the risk" and "chance" things more. I'm not doubting your knowledge of engines, which sounds advanced, but for most people they are forced with trusting a book from Nissan or an online forum and to them it's worth the peace of mind to get premium. I left a lot of things to "chance" with my last car and learned many things the hard way.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 AM

I don't see how this thread is still going.

If your doctor prescribed you something would you take it? Or would u go buy flinstones vitamins instead because they're cheaper.

I barely make more than the household average and can afford premium. If you can afford a 7th gen, you can afford the gas.

If the extra 5-8 dollars is too much, sell your 7th gen to someone who will take care of it and maybe buy yourself a beater that gets great gas milage.

sorry for the *****y rant and if I'm coming across brash but this is just laughable. It's like the Kings of Comedy say, "rolling in a 40k Mercedes with 2$ worth of gas"- epitome of ghetto fabulous.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM

well regardless of all this gas talk, I'm just glad I get 400 miles per fill up.

that's pretty good for an almost full size car that gets mad fast.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
well regardless of all this gas talk, I'm just glad I get 400 miles per fill up.

that's pretty good for an almost full size car that gets mad fast.
very nice compared to my 275-300, I need to check my cats
Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 AM

I wonder if the knock sensor is any easier to replace on the 7th gen?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
first off, u are paying about 7 bucks extra a tank on 92 octane.

u can get octane booster at the store for 4 bucks. At least then you know u are really getting the added octane. A gas station can easily skimp out on the additives to save money. It's done all the time. So even when u think u are getting the extra octane, in reality you are not.

I personally, would rather throw in a bottle of octane booster once a month.
Well, that could be true for some stations but when you switch from one to another and you see a mpg improvement in gasoline then its safe to say your getting what you paid for. R we suppose to be this paranoid about gas stations not to fill up with anything other then regular, I mean c-mon. That is why I use top tier companies. They submit their gas for testing periodically to prove that their octane and additives are what they claim. Use one of those companies and you can't go wrong.

Can't speak for how you drive or where you live (city or rural) but I get 450-460 per tank each fill-up and have gone as high as 470-480 with really nice weather.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by steevo
They keep accidentally putting in the wrong gas, and you keep going back for more! Still sounds like water in the gas. They aren't careful enough to give you the right gas, but you trust them to fill their own tanks properly?
As to theory, the only "theory" is yours(87 caused the stuttering). And you may be right. But my advice for you is that you SHOULD go to a Nissan shop and have them check everything out and tell them what happened. Document it in case of future issues. Or be pissed at me for posting the Nissan manual, whatever works. Mine is not a theory, I am simply telling the op what Nissan themselves say in the manual.

I took delivery of my car with 6.5 miles on the odometer and a full tank of gas. I asked him if they filled it with premium. They told me that its ok to use 87 but you will have a slight performance hit. BS answer. So I took that to mean they probably filled it with 87 !!. The car drove fine, but as soon as I got down to half a tank I topped it off with 93....
No hypocrisy here. I recommend premium in this car and that's what I use. All I did was post the EXACT text from NISSAN, so he could get it from the horses mouth. The Original Poster was looking for reasons NOT to use 87. I think he got plenty of info from this thread.
I am sure there are plenty of drivers using 87 out there. Do you really think they are all sputtering and stalling down the road?? Maybe they are! But I kinda doubt it.
OP -- what octane gas are you using now and how does the car run?
Listen, it happen only twice. Since I actually stand their and watch what button they push to make sure premium goes in to the damn thing. I found out if you catch them before the pump starts pumping then they can cancel it out and redo it.

Anyway, I use 93 octane since Shell here in NJ only sells 87, 89, and 93 and the difference between 89 and 93 is usually only 10cents so its not worth it saving 1-2 bucks each fill-up to put midgrade in rather than premium thus I only run premium. I have no performance hit and I've been able to keep up with many BMW and Infiniti's with this puppy.

Plus, I can't complain about the 24mpg avgs I get per tank in the summer and winter and 28mpgs in the fall and spring.

Personally, with the rise in gas prices and what they are saying it is going to be going up to, I think these car companies should start designing and making everything just needs regular only and forget this premium required or recommended bull crap. The difference between regular and premium does begin to add up at the end of the year. Right now, the difference here at my local Shell's is about 45 cents per gallon.

This might be the last year for my FX35 if gas prices go up past $4.00 a gallon. I get 19-20mpg avgs with that and it just kills me at the pump. But I had almost 7 long years with her so I can't complain.

Last edited by smarty666; 03-01-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM
TBA

I think the pain felt at the pump is directly related to the number of miles driven. For those that talk about spending a "measly" $7 per fill up for 93, I'd be willing to bet they are not high mileage drivers.

Then there's people like myself that are putting on 25,000 miles a year. Not super high like Lt. Leary (104,000 miles in 24 months), but high enough. It seems like some people are gassing up once, twice a month. That's not bad. Seeing the pump hit $70 twice a week is not exactly a good time. I can empathize with anyone that wants to lower that number.

As for folks that are on their high horse about buying an $30k+ car, and saying don't complain about gas, I politely suggest that you dismount and consider an alternative view. Lots of folks have interests other than cars; I'd rather spend the extra money on golf, or fishing gear, or my kids rather than gas. There's nothing wrong with wanting both a well-performing car and less money on fuel (but you can't always get what you want).

For the record, I did pay cash for my Maxima. Until today I have only ever put 91 or 93 in it. Today I put in 87 just to see the effect.

And I'm no stranger to vehicles with high fuel consumption. I have a 27 foot boat with a 100 gallon tank; that's going to be about $400 or more a fill this summer. With a 350 CID small block V8 that burns 15 GPH at cruise that translates to 1.80 miles per gallon.

You may now feel free to misinterpret my position.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TBA
I think the pain felt at the pump is directly related to the number of miles driven. For those that talk about spending a "measly" $7 per fill up for 93, I'd be willing to bet they are not high mileage drivers.

Then there's people like myself that are putting on 25,000 miles a year. Not super high like Lt. Leary (104,000 miles in 24 months), but high enough. It seems like some people are gassing up once, twice a month. That's not bad. Seeing the pump hit $70 twice a week is not exactly a good time. I can empathize with anyone that wants to lower that number.

As for folks that are on their high horse about buying an $30k+ car, and saying don't complain about gas, I politely suggest that you dismount and consider an alternative view. Lots of folks have interests other than cars; I'd rather spend the extra money on golf, or fishing gear, or my kids rather than gas. There's nothing wrong with wanting both a well-performing car and less money on fuel (but you can't always get what you want).

For the record, I did pay cash for my Maxima. Until today I have only ever put 91 or 93 in it. Today I put in 87 just to see the effect.

And I'm no stranger to vehicles with high fuel consumption. I have a 27 foot boat with a 100 gallon tank; that's going to be about $400 or more a fill this summer. With a 350 CID small block V8 that burns 15 GPH at cruise that translates to 1.80 miles per gallon.

You may now feel free to misinterpret my position.
Finally a post that hits it on the nail, well said and the truth!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TBA
Fair enough, and point well made.

I'm a low mileage guy... full disclosure.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 PM

i was using 89 for a few years, then i wanted more out of it so i went to 93, so if u go to 89 u should be fine
Old 03-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by TBA
I don't understand. Is there something wrong with buying a $30k+ car and wanting to give it the manufacturer recommended fuel? I bought this car knowing it took Premium fuel and never had any intention of putting any other type of gas in it. I picked this car because it was the perfect mix of performance, luxury, and attractive styling so in my mind sacrificing some of the power it is supposed to have by using regular gas seems odd. Granted I can't assume everyone bought this car to drive it fast, but if you didn't then why did you get a 290hp car? Granted extra cash is nice nobody will disagree with you there, but as others have said you can cut costs in other areas of the car such as driving slower, changing your own oil, washing/waxing it yourself, etc...

I wonder if this type of conversation would show up on the G35 forums with people arguing about putting 87 in their luxury sports sedan. At the very least from what I gather you'll lose both power and mileage.

Last edited by Ghozt; 03-01-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the article sh1ft. i found it very informative
Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't understand this fuss about regular versus premium! When you buy a $30K plus car, the difference in two grades does not matter. Buy Camary or Honda if the 20 cent per gallon matters. Use what Nissan recommends! It's a no brainer
Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

"I think everyone reading this could agree with that statement right there, without embellishment"

rochester, just wanted to point out that i like your vocabulary. nice word "embellishment"
Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM

I wonder if the knock sensor is any easier to replace on the 7th gen?
3.5 manifolds are easy to take off

though i would have no clue about the composite style.

With a knock sensor in place i feel fully confident putting in 87. But with my 3.5, it seen nothing but 91/92 because of various reasons
Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1995maximayea
"I think everyone reading this could agree with that statement right there, without embellishment"

rochester, just wanted to point out that i like your vocabulary. nice word "embellishment"
That's another reason I wish there were more reason for me to hang out in the 7th gen forum... you can use adult language, grammar and spelling is intelligible, and you rarely see someone say, "That's sick, bro!" My poor 5th gen forum is turning into the new 4th gen forum.

As for this thread, I don't think there's anything more that can be said in any way that contributes... even if only for entertainment's sake.

I'm outta here. Adios, 7th genners. I've said it before, but here's a parting observation: the 7th gen is the most beautiful Maxima ever. Enjoy.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 AM
TBA

Originally Posted by danielevans83
I don't understand. Is there something wrong with buying a $30k+ car and wanting to give it the manufacturer recommended fuel?
There's nothing wrong with it. Many / most people do.

I don't understand this fuss about regular versus premium! When you buy a $30K plus car, the difference in two grades does not matter. Buy Camary or Honda if the 20 cent per gallon matters. Use what Nissan recommends! It's a no brainer
Apparently it does matter to some people. I'm not sure where you are, but the difference between regular and super is more like $0.50 around my parts. As I said in my last post, the impact is largely dependent on how much the car is driven.

I'll reiterate that I would bet that people saying the price doesn't matter are not driving as much as those that are asking the question. Desiring both a car that runs on regular fuel and one that has a modicum of sportiness (AKA not a Honda or Toyota) are not mutually exclusive.

To the point of the OP, he stated that the price is gas is getting tough for his particular situation. We don't know all the details (lost job, family illness, etc), nor do we need to. He already had the Maxima so it's a moot point about buying another car. Similarly it's not reasonable to tell him to sell it and buy a beater; he's loose his shirt with the depreciation and a car he likes. What he needed was technical information about negative aspects of using regular gas in the Maxima, not an eruption of indignity concerning his doing the same.

It's been discussed a bit, and for the OP's benefit I think this is the result:
  • Nissan "requires" (2009) or "recommends" (2010 - 2011) at least 91 octane for the Maxima
  • Using at least 91 will deliver the intended vechicle performance
  • Using less that 91 may deliver a lesser amount of performance, and perhaps fuel economy
  • Using 89 octane probably is OK, both for performance and mechanical safety
  • If using 87, performance will likely take a hit. But the modern anti-knock sensors of the car will prevent mechanical damage.

The choice is up to the OP.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:56 AM

AND just as a side note... if you fill up at a pump that has only ONE hose, about 4-5gallons of your fuel your are getting when you push the 91-93 button is whatever the person previously got (most likely 87) therefore lowering your octane rating below the RECOMMENDED octane rating.
do your research, that can't be more untrue
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM

O really... DO YOUR research... and then prove me wrong.

Last edited by maxxxxspeed; 03-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
do your research, that can't be more untrue
Yes it is true. Nobody said it's in the hose or anything, because obviously people have driven off with those attached to their cars, but the first fuel pumped IS the remainder of what the last person used. If they didn't keep fuel in the line to maintain the vacuum in the hose it would take 25-30 seconds for the fuel to begin pumping from the reservoir beneath.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 AM

quickie

SO i just got my Maxima and ive been putting Premium in it since the first day. I am not the first owner so i am wondering if the previous owners having used lower tahn premium fuel could be the cause ofr my getting around 5-10 mpg all of a sudden. It just dropped out of nowhere from an avg of around 24 highway and city to the needle dropping with me going 10 miles
Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM

I'm a bit surprised this thread has gone on as long as it has. If people want to put in 87, that's their choice. If people want to use 89 or 93, also their decision. Sure, cost of filling up the tank is always going to be an issue for some folks. Personally, I run 89 when the price gets out of control and don't feel one bit of difference.

Let's face it, very few forum members are ASE certified technicians or have a plethora of automotive knowledge. I'm not just talking about this forum in particular, but any other car owner forum for that matter.

So let's quit flaming each other about who knows more than the other guy and provide some sound, quality advice for once.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
let's quit flaming each other about who knows more than the other guy and provide some sound, quality advice for once.
The days of calm and reason are gone. These days, folks are bored with calm and reason, and aren't happy unless there is contention and disagreement involved. That is why 'reality' shows, sports, song and dance contests, etc dominate TV, and why discussion boards dominate the internet.

The reign of 'Scientific Method' is drawing to a close. Internet drivel, urban rumor and blind faith will soon rule the universe. Most Americans these days have their needle pegged to one extreme or the other on every issue. Words such as 'negotiation', 'compromise' and 'moderation' will soon disappear from dictionaries.

For me, I feel regular fuel sacrafices a little too much in performance, while premium sacrafices a little too much in money. But that is JUST MY CHOICE; NOT FACT. Rather than beat others over the head with my position, I'm just going to keep sailing along with my middle-of-the-road 89 octane and say nothing more to deter others from opting for the extreme of their choice - premium or regular.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The days of calm and reason are gone. These days, folks are bored with calm and reason, and aren't happy unless there is contention and disagreement involved. That is why 'reality' shows, sports, song and dance contests, etc dominate TV, and why discussion boards dominate the internet.

The reign of 'Scientific Method' is drawing to a close. Internet drivel, urban rumor and blind faith will soon rule the universe. Most Americans these days have their needle pegged to one extreme or the other on every issue. Words such as 'negotiation', 'compromise' and 'moderation' will soon disappear from dictionaries.

For me, I feel regular fuel sacrafices a little too much in performance, while premium sacrafices a little too much in money. But that is JUST MY CHOICE; NOT FACT. Rather than beat others over the head with my position, I'm just going to keep sailing along with my middle-of-the-road 89 octane and say nothing more to deter others from opting for the extreme of their choice - premium or regular.
Well said Light.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM

That's another reason I wish there were more reason for me to hang out in the 7th gen forum... you can use adult language, grammar and spelling is intelligible, and you rarely see someone say, "That's sick, bro!" My poor 5th gen forum is turning into the new 4th gen forum.

As for this thread, I don't think there's anything more that can be said in any way that contributes... even if only for entertainment's sake.

I'm outta here. Adios, 7th genners. I've said it before, but here's a parting observation: the 7th gen is the most beautiful Maxima ever. Enjoy.
Rochester.....you had better stop "dissing" the guys over in the other gens forums over here.....Some of those guys might see and might not want to give you that "technical/mechanical -knowledge/advice" that you and I both know that they have when you need it.......hehe This is coming from an educated 370Z and Happy 5.5 gen owner!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Love my '09

OhioMax, I'm going to un-delete this thread even tho it has slightly gone off topic, it's still a valid topic that others probably ask and there's no better reason than this thread that shows how everyone's opinions and feelings differ.

Honestly, Light said it best, no matter what, everyone is going to have their opinions and according to the 2010 on, premium is NO LONGER required. My manual says it is, therefore I will continue, but I can't blame others for not, as it IS getting pricy.

I don't see this thread going anywhere else, so I'll go ahead and lock it for future sake, but the next person that wants to know the info here, it will be retained.

Fair enough? If you disagree, please IM me directly.

Last edited by Compusmurf; 03-02-2011 at 05:55 PM.