7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually downshifting bad for CVT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM

Manually downshifting bad for CVT?

I recently had a rear brake job done, and of course had to take it light on the braking for a few days. I started using the tap shifters to down shift when slowing down, which really works well and I can tell I'm using my brakes way less. I only ended up using them this way for a few days and went back to regular braking.

Question is though, is this bad for the transmission? I assumed it wasn't because I saw mention in other threads of people using the shifter to save their brakes. Reason I ask is because when I drive in Ds mode now it sort of acts weird...RPMs seem to rev higher and drop off more suddenly when trying to throttle...sometimes ends up for a weird "jerky" feel when accelerating.

I'm gonna take it in to Nissan if it keeps up, but was just curious if anyone else ran into this or simply knew that this is bad for the transmission. D mode works fine, it's just Ds that revs weird and drops off.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 PM

The CVT it just a strange transmission. What you are describing is normal.

Also just cause you have new brakes why do you think you need to take it easy? The brakes have no idea if they are new or not and frankly don't care.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:09 PM

It wasn't that I "thought" I needed to take it easy, it was on a piece of cardboard in the EBC Green Stuff brake pad box saying basically to take it easy on the brakes for the next few days. I got the rotors machined at the same time so I'm guessing everything had to "bed in". I'm not typically the kind to go against manufacturer recommendations, especially when it is something small like taking it easy for a few days.

Granted I know the CVT is an odd transmission, but it is definitely behaving differently than before. It is doing a dropoff in RPMs that it has never done before, and the jerky acceleration has also never happened before either. Normally what I experience with the CVT is either a slow or really fast acceleration, this is "choppy" now sort of.

Last edited by Ghozt; 03-31-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 PM

I dont know think we have rev matching in this car, so that makes it harder on the tranny.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 PM

My mistake we do have rev matching, just googled it.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM

Shouldn't be bad on the CVT, and if anything happens, you can always take it to the dealership, it has a 3 yr warranty.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM

I personally haven't noticed any degradation and tap to downshift a few times a day (primarily when exiting the myriad of toll roads here in Central Florida.) Granted, I tap one at time...pausing a bit between each consecutive downshift as required, never letting the revs exceed the range of 3000 to 3500 RPM. And having just reached 112K, notice no degradation in my CVT's normal shifting behavior. Of course, I have yet to have my brake pads replaced either.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by danielevans83
It wasn't that I "thought" I needed to take it easy, it was on a piece of cardboard in the EBC Green Stuff brake pad box saying basically to take it easy on the brakes for the next few days. I got the rotors machined at the same time so I'm guessing everything had to "bed in". I'm not typically the kind to go against manufacturer recommendations, especially when it is something small like taking it easy for a few days.
Yes, we should treat reworked brakes just as we would the brakes on a new car; gently for awhile so they can 'bed' in before high stress is applied.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by DJ Zreik
Shouldn't be bad on the CVT, and if anything happens, you can always take it to the dealership, it has a 3 yr warranty.
Not exactly. The power trains on all Maximas have a FIVE year 60,000 mile warranty, and the CVT on danielevans83 '09 Maxima has a TEN year 120,000 mile warranty.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 AM

First things first, brakes are meant to be used...why downshift a $30,000+ car to "save the brakes"? I get it for the 'take it easy part' you were talking about, but never consider your brakes wellbeing over the transmission unless you've overheated the brakes, or are otherwise having trouble stopping safely. Use the manual shift for specific reasons, in turns for faster response and control from the throttle, or going down a steep hill and want to prevent overheating brakes for instance...

That said, using the manual tap shouldn't harm things as long as you're not shifting too low or two high at the wrong RPM. And on my 07 I've noticed the strangeness in D immediately after being manual for a while. It's almost like the car tried to learn and mimic what I was doing earlier. The strangeness in D goes away after a few miles, but I've experienced what you're talking about. Not really sure what it is, but I doubt it's a problem with the CVT, more a computer adjustment of sorts...
Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 AM

When they R&D this car I am sure they tried this senario out and found it to be ok .Cause if not, They would have put a lockout preventing you from downshifting at a specific rpm point to safe the CVT from any harm.Look at all the other locks/blocks they put in this car,S i am sure they looked into it. Warranty is a great thing.Also, Ever take notice of Nissan's commercial " DRIVE,SHIFT" . lol
Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
I personally haven't noticed any degradation and tap to downshift a few times a day (primarily when exiting the myriad of toll roads here in Central Florida.) Granted, I tap one at time...pausing a bit between each consecutive downshift as required, never letting the revs exceed the range of 3000 to 3500 RPM. And having just reached 112K, notice no degradation in my CVT's normal shifting behavior. Of course, I have yet to have my brake pads replaced either.
NO BRAKE CHANGE IN 112kMILES????
Old 04-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Sleeper
No, I tend to drive ahead and slow with the accelerator and brake with the engine more than my brakes. My father, an over the road trucker for many years, was very emphatic about the need to save your brakes for WHEN you NEED them and I have found that his wisdom was true in this area. I will not repeat the "choice words" he had for those who did not agree

My bride of 30 years does not "buy in" to my father's driving style and I have replaced her brakes about every 40 to 50K (depending on the car.)
Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Sleeper
If it's a lot of highway miles, limited stopping...I can believe it. How else would a guy with an 09 have 112k...I have an 07 with only 41k, owned it for 2 years myself.

As it is I changed mine at about 40k and still had at least half the original pads left. Replacement pads are much smoother then before, stopping may seem a little better, but nothing scientific. But yeah, 112k is a lot with no relining...
Old 04-01-2011, 07:11 AM

No, I tend to drive ahead and slow with the accelerator and brake with the engine more than my brakes. My father, an over the road trucker for many years, was very emphatic about the need to save your brakes for WHEN you NEED them and I have found that his wisdom was true in this area. I will not repeat the "choice words" he had for those who did not agree

My bride of 30 years does not "buy in" to my father's driving style and I have replaced her brakes about every 40 to 50K (depending on the car.)
Thats great.. I drive a little more aggressively so I change mine every 40-50k
Old 04-01-2011, 07:11 AM

.)
I'm the same way. I buy my cars used, so I usually have to change the pads because of someone else's misuse. But once I've replaced pads, I've never had to replace them again...70-80k miles and the pads still look as thick as when i put them on. I love rolling around town watching all the brake lights lighting up everywhere, knowing i only have to use the brakes to actually stop the car. Get decent MPG's that way too...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
First things first, brakes are meant to be used...why downshift a $30,000+ car to "save the brakes"? I get it for the 'take it easy part' you were talking about, but never consider your brakes wellbeing over the transmission unless you've overheated the brakes, or are otherwise having trouble stopping safely. Use the manual shift for specific reasons, in turns for faster response and control from the throttle, or going down a steep hill and want to prevent overheating brakes for instance...

That said, using the manual tap shouldn't harm things as long as you're not shifting too low or two high at the wrong RPM. And on my 07 I've noticed the strangeness in D immediately after being manual for a while. It's almost like the car tried to learn and mimic what I was doing earlier. The strangeness in D goes away after a few miles, but I've experienced what you're talking about. Not really sure what it is, but I doubt it's a problem with the CVT, more a computer adjustment of sorts...
This sounds like what I'm talking about. It feels like its trying to shift the way I just was manually. Weird...no biggie though still got warranty. Definitely feel unique in that I needed my rear brake pads changed at 26k but previous owner is such an unknown factor so I know this set will last me a while.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Down shifting won't hurt the transmission, as long as you're not hitting 2000rpm to anything too extreme. I'm not sure if you have any steep hills in your area, but the CVT acknowledges an incline slope, and will automatically down shift to compensate your driving speed. The EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) is also equipped on these cars, when you have more than normal weight in your car. The braking force as well as down shifting will increase to compensate weight.

These transmissions have been proven to range in RPM at consistant and inconsistant from both ends (high/low) to maintain performance.

I personally will drive in D and shift to Ds Auto just to raise RPM and engine brake. In my opinion, you're safe... just dont go from 6th to 2nd, common sense should play a factor at least.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 AM

I've noticed whenever I downshift it seems to put it in the appropriate "gear" for how fast I'm going. For example if I downshift around 30-40 the gear I'll be in is 2 or 3, and RPM's will jump up to 3-4000 then slowly drop back down beneath 2000. I don't do anything crazy like downshifting multiple times or anything, just wait until the RPM's calm down then hit it again while still using the brakes.

What the other poster above said I think nailed it, it feels like the CVT "remembers" where I downshifted and tries to do it on its own the next time I hit that speed/RPM. It's like as I'm accelerating in Ds mode it will hit 3-4000 RPM's then downshift (seemingly) giving me the unexpected drop off in power and spike in RPM's that I was noticing. It seems to go away after a while and behave normally again. What a weird *** transmission.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 AM

Random related question, anyone tried using downshifting for speed gains like in a manual?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM

The car lets you manually downshift. It won't let you do something stupid like choose first gear at highway speeds. The brakes are a wear item not inexpensive to replace and the transmission is warranted forever.

Add all this together and I have no problem downshifting for stops. I personally only do it when I have to stop quickly from high speed. There's probably more wear on the brakes from one 60 MPH hard stop than from driving around town for twenty miles.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by danielevans83
Random related question, anyone tried using downshifting for speed gains like in a manual?
I use the manual mode quite frequently when tearing up some backroads. On most downshifts, I'm keeping the revs at about 3-4,500 to stay in the power band.

I've also just been cruizing on the highway, then decide to pop it in Manual mode, drop down a few gears and nail it. Never had any issues, even with full-throttle up-shifts at 6K.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM

I never use the manual mode, less wear and tear on the tranny.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
I never use the manual mode, less wear and tear on the tranny.
120K warranty ftw!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Ive been downshfting into corners alot lately, I really like the manual mode, and as for wear and tear on the tranny I have three words, Its A Lease.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Yeah love the warranty on the tranny, shifting has to be covered...
Old 04-07-2011, 09:23 PM

i got a free lifetime powertrain warranty cover from the dealership...probably means nothing
Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Personally I down shift all the time in the traffic here, hardly ever use the paddles but use the gear stick all the time. I live in the hills so I'm hoping to save on the brakes and discs big time!!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I'm the same way. I buy my cars used, so I usually have to change the pads because of someone else's misuse. But once I've replaced pads, I've never had to replace them again...70-80k miles and the pads still look as thick as when i put them on. I love rolling around town watching all the brake lights lighting up everywhere, knowing i only have to use the brakes to actually stop the car. Get decent MPG's that way too...

This is awesome to hear because our breed is such a rarity. I thought I was the only one who drove this way.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 AM

I hope it's not bad 'cus I do it all the time...especially if they won't move out of the fast lane
Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM

If it has paddles, Use them. Its not going to hurt anything the transmission is controlled by a separate computer. this computer will not let you destroy it.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is there any way to stop the cvt from auto downshifting two gears when going down a slight hill? There's really no reason for it and it slows me down when I could coast, maintain speed and save gas. I started to proactively tap the upshift paddle to prevent it from downshifting, but it would be nice to just disable it.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM

Would you rather replace brake pad/rotors or a new tranny? Use the paddles when you need to hold rev's in corners.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:20 AM

I drive this way too about 90% of the time. I find it more fun. I always wondered if it would do damage. I thought the user manual said something about using the tap shift to slow down and save brakes.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM

I like DS mode best, It switches gears after the Peak Torque is reached, and on top of that slamming it in D and just accelerating endlessly makes me feel like the Engine is gonna over rev and explode.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:39 PM

I spoke with a few of the Nissan tech's and they said downshifting manually is not only perfectly fine on the car but that the CVT actually does it a little on its own as some of you may have noticed. Good to know because it will definitely help slow down in the rain/snow.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Yea I sense a little bit fo a downshift even in D. Thanks for the good info Ghost.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 PM

you only get that warranty if you have all your services done at the dealer
Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Not exactly. The power trains on all Maximas have a FIVE year 60,000 mile warranty, and the CVT on danielevans83 '09 Maxima has a TEN year 120,000 mile warranty.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by SCR_speed
you only get that warranty if you have all your services done at the dealer
Do you mean all our CVT services? I would think that all non-CVT services can be done anywhere you choose without voiding the CVT warranty. Why would getting my windshield wiper blades replaced at Auto Zone nullify a CVT warranty? As for servicing my CVT, I personally would not want anyone other than a Nissan dealer working on it.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 PM

Down shifting is not good on a manual, definitely not good on an auto.

Quick Reply: Manually downshifting bad for CVT?