7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Stock Nav/Radio...hello Motorola Xoom

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM

Goodbye Stock Nav/Radio...hello Motorola Xoom

Does this even count as a mod? Probably not because all I did was buy a mount. Whatever. It's a mod. I love it.

Motorola Xoom mounted using PadHoldr. This mount is adjustable in many ways and can come with different size arms to make it highly customizable. Also can have spacers interchanged so it fits different tablets with/without cases. I highly recommend these mounts if you want to get something to reliable mount a tablet in your car - they are even about to launch a second line that comes with optional carbon fiber finish, black gloss, 10 different wood grains, flush mount screws, etc. So definitely something to keep an eye on! A little pricey, but do you really want to mount your tablet with a cheap $50 mount? Me neither. Check them out - www.padholdr.com.

Xoom playing a music video, streaming bluetooth audio to my Blackberry Stereo Gateway that's connected to the RCA inputs

Pandora ftw.

Using the Torque app with my eBay OBDII Bluetooth module to pull info from the ECU live. Tons of gauges/info and can read error codes. Cool *** app.

Close-up

Sample info

Sample info 2

And my absolute favorite...Google Navigation with free traffic overlay and automatic routing around traffic. Crushes the Nissan nav.

Last edited by Ghozt; 05-19-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 PM

nice i like it. how you getting internet? or is it by a carrier?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Nice...
Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Tethered to my phone's internet. Mobile hotspot feature + unlimited 4G Verizon data plan. Was cheaper than buying a limited data plan for the Xoom itself
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 PM

How is it attached to the dash?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Using a padholdr mount. It has a piece that attaches to the dash in-between the radio piece and rubberized molding. Had to take off the dash and screw it in behind there but its pretty solid.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 PM

sweet! looks great.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 PM

very dope bid homie, god i need to grab a tablet asap!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 PM

looks sick!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:34 AM

Damn thats hot! I dont even have NAV and you have TWO!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:10 AM
Love my '09

NO, it doesn't count as a mod. Now take it off and I'll give you my shipping address for your Xoom.

I want one, but not in the budget for this year.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
NO, it doesn't count as a mod. Now take it off and I'll give you my shipping address for your Xoom.

I want one, but not in the budget for this year.
Lol...but I had to remove the dash to install...this was harder to put on than my intake so if the intake counts...

Don't sweat the Xoom, it's cool but plenty more tablets coming out too... check out the Asus Transformer it's the same as the Xoom on the inside and $399 for a Wifi one

Thanks for the compliments guys. So far it's been pretty sick, Google Navigation is butter smooth and runs in the background while I have Pandora or a music video running. Nav already found a less travelled way for me to get home and cut my commute from 45 minutes down to 30

For those who don't have Nav and don't want to go through the hassle of installing a new head unit, I'd highly recommend some type of tablet cause they do all types of stuff and can pretty easily integrate into your car. I have the Nav and all that and it still is a pretty sweet addition to the car. Had to leave my screen visible so I can still use my reverse cam. If I could figure out how to get the reverse cam to show up on the tablet I'd fabricate a dash piece to hold this much better and directly cover the OEM screen.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:11 AM

How are you streaming your music, I can't connect my DroidX via bluetooth except for calls and the rca cables I bought only connect the music into the front phone speakers so the sound is horrible.

Nice setup
Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
How are you streaming your music, I can't connect my DroidX via bluetooth except for calls and the rca cables I bought only connect the music into the front phone speakers so the sound is horrible.

Nice setup
Thanks man. Yeah was a little blown when I found out the 09's Bluetooth was phone audio only so had to figure something out. That's when I picked up a Blackberry Stereo Gateway

I plug it in using a 1/8" to RCA(red/white) cable (getting a shielded high quality cable here helps audio quality) into the middle console and my tablet pairs with it when I get in the car. This way my Android phone is paired to the car for phone audio, and the tablet is paired to the BB gateway for media audio. Works pretty damn well and the audio quality is just like listening to an audio CD - flawless!

If you wanted to though, Android phones let you tether to two devices I used to have my phone tethered to both my car for phone audio and the BB gateway for media audio.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Are you paying for your tethered with Verizon?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by gtmassive75
Are you paying for your tethered with Verizon?
Na I hacked the phone to get it free but it's only 30/month anyway

Last edited by Ghozt; 05-22-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

Very cool. I am considering something similar in the future.

I want to know more about your eBay OBDII Bluetooth module. I heard that the ebay ones tend to be very trouble some (I think it says that on Torque's page). Have you had any problems with it? How much did it cost you and which ebay seller did you buy it from?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM

WHOA thats hott getting data from the ECU...! Ok. i think i want Xoom now!!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So, Torque does work with the 7th Gen Max..............
Old 05-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by deezo
So, Torque does work with the 7th Gen Max..............
Yeah it does. So far I haven't found a lot of use for it other than "looking sweet" but I'm sure it will come in handy if I ever need to read my engine codes. There's a very slight delay between when you hit the gas and the RPM needle jumps, so it's not perfect real time but very nice still. Used my OBD sensor and app to read/clear the CEL from my boy's car which he still can't believe.

Originally Posted by Legendman
WHOA thats hott getting data from the ECU...! Ok. i think i want Xoom now!!
When I found the app Torque I almost couldn't believe it. My mechanic thinks it's bullsh!t that I have an OBDII sensor for this cheap. Also pissed off a bunch of my friends who have iPhones who went crazy trying to find the same app for their phone. Turns out iPhones need an OBD wifi adapter and don't work via Bluetooth, and their apps are $50+ so just an FYI for anyone with iPhones/iPads. For me this was a ~$35 bluetooth OBD adapter and a $4 app.

FYI if you like the Xoom, check out a few similar Android tablets coming out such as the Asus Transformer and new Samsung 10.1 tablet. They're all the same on the inside, but some have nicer pricing/accessories. The Xoom is a little heavy in my opinion, especially compared to the iPad2, so if that's a concern I'd wait and go with the new Samsung one coming out.

Originally Posted by metalpiotr
Very cool. I am considering something similar in the future.

I want to know more about your eBay OBDII Bluetooth module. I heard that the ebay ones tend to be very trouble some (I think it says that on Torque's page). Have you had any problems with it? How much did it cost you and which ebay seller did you buy it from?
You're right that Torque does specifically say something about the cheap OBD sensors. I figured at the price it's worth a shot - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hotte...motiveQ5fTools

That's the exact one I bought, from the exact seller. It's worked perfect for me for several months now. Only pain is when I go to push the parking brake I have to be careful or I'll break off the OBD sensor with my foot. Some other member on here found a way to wire it in using wires and hid his OBD sensor somewhere else where he couldn't kick it.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by danielevans83
Yeah it does. So far I haven't found a lot of use for it other than "looking sweet" but I'm sure it will come in handy if I ever need to read my engine codes. There's a very slight delay between when you hit the gas and the RPM needle jumps, so it's not perfect real time but very nice still. Used my OBD sensor and app to read/clear the CEL from my boy's car which he still can't believe.
I can't get it to work right with my 4th Gen but it works flawlessly in the GT. Either way, Android FTW!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

You're right that Torque does specifically say something about the cheap OBD sensors. I figured at the price it's worth a shot - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hotte...motiveQ5fTools

That's the exact one I bought, from the exact seller. It's worked perfect for me for several months now. Only pain is when I go to push the parking brake I have to be careful or I'll break off the OBD sensor with my foot. Some other member on here found a way to wire it in using wires and hid his OBD sensor somewhere else where he couldn't kick it.
Thanks for the info. I think in the case of my car, it may get in the way of my leg when I use the clutch... but worst case, I may have to find a way to relocate the obd2 plug.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 AM

When I found the app Torque I almost couldn't believe it. My mechanic thinks it's bullsh!t that I have an OBDII sensor for this cheap. Also pissed off a bunch of my friends who have iPhones who went crazy trying to find the same app for their phone. Turns out iPhones need an OBD wifi adapter and don't work via Bluetooth, and their apps are $50+ so just an FYI for anyone with iPhones/iPads. For me this was a ~$35 bluetooth OBD adapter and a $4 app.

FYI if you like the Xoom, check out a few similar Android tablets coming out such as the Asus Transformer and new Samsung 10.1 tablet. They're all the same on the inside, but some have nicer pricing/accessories. The Xoom is a little heavy in my opinion, especially compared to the iPad2, so if that's a concern I'd wait and go with the new Samsung one coming out.

If you simply open that BT unit you can see it has a lot of slack to bend it out of the way when plugged in. I just took it a step further and extended the 4 wires that is needed and moved it up to my fuses box. It still plugs in and out like it did before just the bulk head of it is relocated a few inches out of the way.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:22 AM

I'm interested if anyone has tried to mount a 7" tablet in their Maxima. I am thinking about doing that and using it for Navigation/Entertainment. I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet which can be purchased for about $250. I have tethering through my droid x so connectivity is not an issue. I am just trying to figure out the best location and method to mount it. My maxima is an SV with monitor package.

Here is a mount I am looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Tablets-Samsung-BlackBerry-Playbook/dp/B004VG6LDE

I just like the idea of a dedicated tablet for navigation, music streaming, entertainment, checking emails etc. In the near future I hope to get a 4G smartphone and hopefully be able to continue tethering.

Last edited by omario; 05-25-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's a nice set up there. I'm actually about to get a xoom from verizon tomorrow. But I don't know if I'll hook mines up like you have yours. I don't think I can get away with it on my side of the dmv with out someone trying to break in my car...lol.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Daniel, I'm interested in finding out more about how you're using the tablet to stream Pandora to the car's audio system. I have a tablet, but it's the LG G-Slate from T-Mobile; very similar to the Xoom. I have bluetooth in the car, and my Blackberry is already paired to it for cell service/calls. I cannot get my tablet to find my car, though, via searching for devices. I already use my USB port in the center console for my iPod.

I hate how the iPod cable & iPod itself are just tossed down in the center console & the wires are all over the place in there. I wish I could hardwire it somehow to a docking station or something nice, and do the same w/my G-Slate. In fact, if I had the time & extra money, I'd go to a local stereo shop probably and just have them fabricate & hardwire my ish. Maybe this winter! LOL
Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Very nice man and "Days of our Lives". That is the CUT!! You got good taste in music man.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Juggernaut23
If you simply open that BT unit you can see it has a lot of slack to bend it out of the way when plugged in. I just took it a step further and extended the 4 wires that is needed and moved it up to my fuses box. It still plugs in and out like it did before just the bulk head of it is relocated a few inches out of the way.
That's a great idea. Do you have any pics so I can see better how it looks? I just threw my BT thing in the glove box and plug it in when I'm using Torque.

Originally Posted by omario
I'm interested if anyone has tried to mount a 7" tablet in their Maxima. I am thinking about doing that and using it for Navigation/Entertainment. I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet which can be purchased for about $250. I have tethering through my droid x so connectivity is not an issue. I am just trying to figure out the best location and method to mount it. My maxima is an SV with monitor package.

Here is a mount I am looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Tablets-Samsung-BlackBerry-Playbook/dp/B004VG6LDE

I just like the idea of a dedicated tablet for navigation, music streaming, entertainment, checking emails etc. In the near future I hope to get a 4G smartphone and hopefully be able to continue tethering.
I'm not sure about a mount for a 7" tablet, but the one I have (Padholdr) is awesome for 10" tablets. It comes with spacers that you can get different kinds of to fit different tablets with/without cases. So this will be my first and last tablet mount, going to just contact the company and get new spacers if I get a new tablet. Highly recommended.

Originally Posted by lonewolf5
That's a nice set up there. I'm actually about to get a xoom from verizon tomorrow. But I don't know if I'll hook mines up like you have yours. I don't think I can get away with it on my side of the dmv with out someone trying to break in my car...lol.
I never leave the tablet itself in the car, so the most they'd get is a tablet mount and maybe my gum from the center console. Insurance FTW. Got the Viper 5902 on my to-do list regardless though.

Originally Posted by MiDiablo
Daniel, I'm interested in finding out more about how you're using the tablet to stream Pandora to the car's audio system. I have a tablet, but it's the LG G-Slate from T-Mobile; very similar to the Xoom. I have bluetooth in the car, and my Blackberry is already paired to it for cell service/calls. I cannot get my tablet to find my car, though, via searching for devices. I already use my USB port in the center console for my iPod.

I hate how the iPod cable & iPod itself are just tossed down in the center console & the wires are all over the place in there. I wish I could hardwire it somehow to a docking station or something nice, and do the same w/my G-Slate. In fact, if I had the time & extra money, I'd go to a local stereo shop probably and just have them fabricate & hardwire my ish. Maybe this winter! LOL
That's odd you can't get the tablet to pair with the car. My 09 came with the phone audio only Bluetooth, so I had to get a Blackberry Stereo Gateway that connects to the RCA in the middle console. My tablet has no problem connecting to that, although sometimes I have to go in the settings menu and force it to connect - but very rarely. A high quality audio cable between the RCA jacks and the Blackberry Stereo Gateway helps significantly with audio quality.

Yeah hard-wiring everything would be nice. My dock has no charger, it just holds the tablet so I have to run the plug up through the bottom if I want to charge it while driving. Nice part is 10 hours of video-playback on the device so it lasts forever. I wish I could somehow integrate the reverse backup cam with my tablet because then I'd just mount it in front of my stock screen. A fabricated mount would be sick - let me know if you end up doing that. The best one I've ever seen is the Fish Edition Ford Expedition - check this out it is the nicest fabrication job I've ever seen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6zAyPFNFYE. THAT is pimpin.

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
Very nice man and "Days of our Lives". That is the CUT!! You got good taste in music man.
Bizzy is my favorite, I got a few of his individual albums. Gotta love the old school Hip Hop I hate this trash now a days..
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 AM

For android wireless tethering, you don't need to hack, or root your phone anymore. Download the free app FoxFi. It will enable hotspot tethering very easily, I have been using it now for a few months without a problem. So far this month I have used 17 gigs on a 3G plan, last month was over 35 gigs and never been questioned.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Batteryacd
For android wireless tethering, you don't need to hack, or root your phone anymore. Download the free app FoxFi. It will enable hotspot tethering very easily, I have been using it now for a few months without a problem. So far this month I have used 17 gigs on a 3G plan, last month was over 35 gigs and never been questioned.
Honestly I wouldn't trust that long term, other tether apps that don't require root get taken off Market or Verizon automatically adds the hotspot fee to your account. The rooted tether masks the traffic so it looks like the phone is using the data, anything else looks like a tethering app. 35 GB in a month though? Jeez you're part of the reason why we're seeing limited data plans now lol
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM

^^^^ Agree with Ghozt
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM

There must be a grandfather clause in the Verizion data structure as I still have the unlimited package with the lowest price attached to my calling plan.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 PM

THats how mine is with AT&T if you had it before they got rid of the unlimited Data plan then they grandfather you in for new customers the unlimited plan doesnt work
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

looks hott... i was looking in to a few options to do something similar. can u hook me up with a pic of where the arm actually meets the dash. my ideal situation would be able to mount my tab directly over where my screen is but have is so the arm would allow me to adjust it easily to get to my climate controls
Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 AM

Is that app available from iPad or iPhone?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:39 AM

Padholdr doesn't have a vehicle specific one for Max 09-12...
Old 05-08-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by funnyman82
Is that app available from iPad or iPhone?
the Torque one? not that I know of. dont know if iPhone/iPad can do this last we looked into they can't actually, not via bluetooth

contact Padholdr and ask about an 09 Maxima bracket, I was the first to order it and test it for them im surprised they never added the bracket to their site.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

@Ghozt - when using the bb gateway feature does that limit listening to music on the radio ?