7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Premium for Premium

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 PM

A Premium for Premium

Just returned from vacation off the coast of GA-regular unleaded down there $3.59/gal ----premium $4.20! What the #($*!
I thought about midgrade then drove 10 miles to another station with the "normal" markup of 40 cents
Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Midgrade works perfectly fine in the Max, use premium for "Maximum" performance they say which is true. If you aren't a stop light to stop light racer Mid grade is fine for it, the 09 is the only year Max that they said premium is required but for 10 it went back to the old Max standard since the 4th gen..... what I said above. Nothing changed in the fuel system, just good ole Marketing!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:32 AM

MONTE nailed it. Midgrade works wonderfully well in the 7th gen. A few folks here think they are doing fine with regular, but that is really pushing it. Several here who tried regular found their car would hardly run on it.

Stick to midgrade, unless the car is used only by your grandmother to go to Sunday school. Accellerating briskly in this 7th gen with regular fuel is strictly forbidden in the owner's manual.

Georgia has been notorious for years for having wide differences in prices between the grades. Folks in some parts of the country used to doubt me here when I posted those differences, and their areas had a dime difference for each grade.

In my area south of Atlanta, the difference is usually between 20 and 30 cents per gallon increase for EACH step up in grade. I save around $4.50 per fillup just dropping from premium to midgrade. Years of checking in my last few Maxima generations convinced me the MPG does not change when I drop from premium to midgrade, and I detect no difference in performance.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 AM

Idk whats more annoying to see, the fuel topic or CVT vs manual debate. Lets end this here, midgrade will do, premium if u want the best perfomance, regular is a no-no, unless its only for a few miles. Thats it, lets end this here.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 AM

It's just the same in NY. Regular is around $3.89 and premium is still $4.39. A few weeks ago it was $4.19 and $4.99 (at least near the expressway) insane!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sg1214
Idk whats more annoying to see, the fuel topic or CVT vs manual debate. Lets end this here, midgrade will do, premium if u want the best perfomance, regular is a no-no, unless its only for a few miles. Thats it, lets end this here.
I think the CVT vs manual topic may be the worst. But we do seem to have a new thread on each one each week. I think the variation with this thread might be that it was started based on the immense price difference some dealers are charging between grades, which is obviously gouging.

Service stations sacrifice some of their profit on regular gas so they can display a lower number out front to draw folks in, but make up some of that loss by padding their price on midgrade, premium and diesel.

But since the thread-starting post was not specific to the 7th gen Maxima, it could have appeared on either the 'Maxima General' board or one of the boards here dealing with specific subjects, such as lubrication or maintenance.

Or probably best, it could have been added onto the end of one of the weekly fuel threads we have had here over the past three years. I'm just glad I'm not a mod and don't have to make these decisions every day on every thread. I'm far too old for that frustration. I like a simple life, where all I have to decide is what day to wash my Maxima.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I think the CVT vs manual topic may be the worst. But we do seem to have a new thread on each one each week. I think the variation with this thread might be that it was started based on the immense price difference some dealers are charging between grades, which is obviously gouging.

Service stations sacrifice some of their profit on regular gas so they can display a lower number out front to draw folks in, but make up some of that loss by padding their price on midgrade, premium and diesel.

But since the thread-starting post was not specific to the 7th gen Maxima, it could have appeared on either the 'Maxima General' board or one of the boards here dealing with specific subjects, such as lubrication or maintenance.

Or probably best, it could have been added onto the end of one of the weekly fuel threads we have had here over the past three years. I'm just glad I'm not a mod and don't have to make these decisions every day on every thread. I'm far too old for that frustration. I like a simple life, where all I have to decide is what day to wash my Maxima.
I concur Light!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 AM

At least I haven't seen a thread about "what oil to use" in a while...
Old 06-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Love my '09

I think the CVT vs manual topic may be the worst.
I'm just glad I'm not a mod and don't have to make these decisions every day on every thread. I'm far too old for that frustration. I like a simple life, where all I have to decide is what day to wash my Maxima.
Oh come on, I stickied the CVT vs manual so folks wouldn't keep making 100's of them esp since that one causes so much strife between members.

The fuel threads, well, they pop up, I say just ignore them, mostly they show up from new users NOT searching like they should and usually die out pretty quickly as long as folks don't respond, or it pushes it up.

Sadly it's the same answer every time, by the same folks.

As far as merging them, once a thread falls 3+ pages behind, it's hard to find to merge.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by atlanta10
Just returned from vacation off the coast of GA-regular unleaded down there $3.59/gal ----premium $4.20! What the #($*!
I thought about midgrade then drove 10 miles to another station with the "normal" markup of 40 cents

If it wasn't actual price gouging, it's possible the last time they filled their tank they didn't take on any premium, so they were still at the price from 2 weeks ago...some stations, depending on the demographic of the location, may not sell very much premium at all...it's common.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 AM

this thread was never intended to restart the age old debate of what is the best fuel, oil, air filter, exhaust or even what size chrome strip to use in the "inexpensive and easy mod"
It was simply a perspective on what felt like price gouging-was looking for other perspectives on what they have experienced.
this thread can be deleted to avoid causing undue frustration for anyone who read it differently

Last edited by atlanta10; 06-21-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by atlanta10
this thread was never intended to restart the age old debate of what is the best fuel, oil, air filter, exhaust or even what size chrome strip to use in the "inexpensive and easy mod"
It was simply a perspective on what felt like price gouging-was looking for other perspectives on what they have experienced.
this thread can be deleted to avoid causing undue frustration for anyone who read it differently
I probably came across as not very excited about this thread. But actually, since I have been complaining about the absolutely insanely huge difference between the prices of the different octanes in Georgia for at least five years, I sorta appreciated this thread, which directly addresses my gripe.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Love my '09

Nah, I'm not going to delete it. Don't feel alone in the price gouging. There were some stations here in Florida well over the $4.50 mark for premium that are being investigated by the state for that.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 AM

In the past the increase was only $.10 between grades here and that was jumping from 89 to 93 as well. Lately i've seen a trend where it's $.10 from 87 to 89, but $.15 up to $.30 from 89 to 93. I just tell myself at least it's 93 and not 91. I miss being able to fill up my Z28 with $20
Old 06-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrodenberg0124
In the past the increase was only $.10 between grades here and that was jumping from 89 to 93 as well. Lately i've seen a trend where it's $.10 from 87 to 89, but $.15 up to $.30 from 89 to 93. I just tell myself at least it's 93 and not 91. I miss being able to fill up my Z28 with $20
Thats the case/trend here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area as well....