7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Adding a back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Adding a back up camera

Hey all,

I have a a 2010 SV sport with the color screen. I am interested in adding the backup camera to it..

How easy or difficult would it be to do this?

Has anyone done this ? Thx!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:55 AM

Btw .. No nav...
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 AM

get an aftermarket wireless back up camra
Old 11-15-2011, 04:46 AM

can that be integrated into the screen?
can you suggest one?

thank you!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 AM

Theres a way that's a pain in the pass. You have to run a cable from the head unit to the rear of the car. I done it to my oldtruck. But I seen a video of it being done to a truck. Try YouTube or google and it should come up
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 PM

I saw some vids online on how to do it but not on a max.. So was curious on how to hook up the wiring..
Thx!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:18 PM

any luck on this?? I was wondering if you could replace the factory backup camera with a larger one to get a wider picture in the screen (and so i dont see the license plate)
Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
GT4

funnyman82, please let me know if you found anything. I am in the EXACT same boat as you (Color screen without navigation), and I also want to add a backup camera.

I removed the trunk lining and hoped it was pre-wired for the backup camera (some older Murano were), but unfortunately, our car is not pre-wired. I am willing to spend the money(about $1000) and buy the OEM camera from Nissan if it was plug-and-play. Too bad that's not the case .
Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 PM

looks like its gonna be a pain in the a$$
Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Sorry I really didn't look further into this... I saw a lot of aftermarket ones which use wireless to separate screen but nothing to integrate into the color screen
Keep me posted on any developments... Thx
Old 03-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by GT4
funnyman82, please let me know if you found anything. I am in the EXACT same boat as you (Color screen without navigation), and I also want to add a backup camera.

I removed the trunk lining and hoped it was pre-wired for the backup camera (some older Murano were), but unfortunately, our car is not pre-wired. I am willing to spend the money(about $1000) and buy the OEM camera from Nissan if it was plug-and-play. Too bad that's not the case .
1k???? you crazy lol.. i bought mine for 75 bucks.. installed it myself and i am very pleased.. now note that i have an aftermarket radio so yea..
Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 PM

Huh, I thought all of the models with the color screen (and no nav) had a backup cam. I test drove a 2011 w/o nav but with color screen and it definitely have a backup cam.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM

I have a 2011sv with color screen, no nav, and no backup cam!!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi I just wanted to confirm that if I want to install an aftermarket backup camera that will display on the existing LCD color screen (w/o Nav) that I would need a product like the NAVTOOL or PA VCI-NIS2 installed behind the screen in order to connect the camera.

thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Guys, why waste time and money on this? The backup cams are fun to watch, but entirely unneeded. Just turn your head both ways. You can't see oncoming traffic from the sides if you are backing out of a driveway, regardless of the spread of the video.
If i relied on the cam, I'd get T-Boned.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 AM

I love my backup cam, I only park backwards now because it's easier and I can keep my bodykit safe. I wouldn't use the backup cam to backup onto a street where you need to look left/right - that of course is just stupid - it's amazing for parking lots/parallel parking or other low-traffic areas when you're moving in reverse.

If you can figure out how to add the camera cleanly I think you'll be the hero for a lot of other members lol
Old 08-24-2012, 09:54 AM

^ Same here...i use mine all the time!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by AlDente67
Guys, why waste time and money on this? The backup cams are fun to watch, but entirely unneeded. Just turn your head both ways. You can't see oncoming traffic from the sides if you are backing out of a driveway, regardless of the spread of the video.
More negativity to a post....not needed dude.

I know the pros and cons of a back up camera. It's to AVOID OBSTACLES THAT MIGHT BE BEHIND YOU! We know it doesn't watch the sides. I back in my parking spots wherever I go and I have an unforgiving cement wall in my parking garage so I'd like to continue AVOIDING THAT OBSTACLE by using my camera.

This forum gets me everytime.......thanks for the input AlDente67!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 AM

7th Gen Max has hips and butt like Kardashian .. Not the easiest to see around, backup cams don't hurt on the max when parking in the city
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM

My post was not meant to be negative. It's just that after driving cars for 25 years without a cam, and now having one, it is nice but not a replacement for swiveling your head.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just to clarify, I am not looking for advice or opinions on installing a backup camera.

If anyone has any useful information on performing this installation (specifically that would address my original question) I would very much appreciate the input.

Thanks again!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by furly
Just to clarify, I am not looking for advice or opinions on installing a backup camera.

If anyone has any useful information on performing this installation (specifically that would address my original question) I would very much appreciate the input.

Thanks again!
Well asking bryansuavo wouldn't hurt, since he actually installed it, as noted earlier in the thread. PM him.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Well asking bryansuavo wouldn't hurt, since he actually installed it, as noted earlier in the thread. PM him.
the thing about it is. i have installed mines and OBY20 from the forums camera.. but we are both maxima S.. not SV with color screen.. that right there creates a problem..i am not familiar with how you would connect it to it. THat is the big deal here.. im not familiar with how the screen functions on the OEM SV..
Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 PM

My post was not meant to be negative. It's just that after driving cars for 25 years without a cam, and now having one, it is nice but not a replacement for swiveling your head.
In theory I agree with this, but in reality I feel handicapped when I am driving a car without a reverse cam now (I drive random cars for work) and it's not so much because I've gotten used to the cam but the cam has made me realize how little you can actually see by swiveling your head or looking in the mirrors. the one place these all miss is directly behind your car. like I mentioned I agree that if you're backing out onto a street, aside from side mounted cameras (lol) nothing will replace turning your head.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 PM

This thread reminded me of the *Active Park Assist* from the 2012 Ford Focus

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 08-24-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ghozt
In theory I agree with this, but in reality I feel handicapped when I am driving a car without a reverse cam now (I drive random cars for work) and it's not so much because I've gotten used to the cam but the cam has made me realize how little you can actually see by swiveling your head or looking in the mirrors. the one place these all miss is directly behind your car. like I mentioned I agree that if you're backing out onto a street, aside from side mounted cameras (lol) nothing will replace turning your head.
I'm reading this thread and I'm wondering,
was Henry Ford such a failure not to think to include backup camera in his car?
It looks like absolute necessity!

Just like a vibrator...
Old 08-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Black Marko
I'm reading this thread and I'm wondering,
was Henry Ford such a failure not to think to include backup camera in his car?
It looks like absolute necessity!

Just like a vibrator...
yeah i dont know why he didnt have heated seats or steering wheel either, i bet it would have sold well back then
Old 08-30-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks again!
Heres my useful piece of info. If you dont know what you're doing and there is no DIY post on the forums, don't even attempt it. Have one professionally installed. Save urself the headache of running back to the computer every five minutes to ask a question on the forums cuz u get stuck on something and dont have the knowledge to figure it out.

Not bashing here at all but I've seen a lot of "backyard installs" gone wrong.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt

Let's do all around tint at 1% and install cams in back, sides and front. Drive it like a tank.

If the cams fail, we could open the sunroof and poke our heads out.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by bryansuavo
the thing about it is. i have installed mines and OBY20 from the forums camera.. but we are both maxima S.. not SV with color screen.. that right there creates a problem..i am not familiar with how you would connect it to it. THat is the big deal here.. im not familiar with how the screen functions on the OEM SV..
What camera did you put in your "S" model? Just curious because I have an S and the wife is scraping the hell out of the rims when she parks.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi I just wanted to confirm that if I want to install an aftermarket backup camera that will display on the existing LCD color screen (w/o Nav) that I would need a product like the NAVTOOL or PA VCI-NIS2 installed behind the screen in order to connect the camera.

thanks
Just an fyi, I went ahead and ordered the PA interface (listed above) had Futureshop install it with an aftermarket backup camera. It works perfectly with the factory LCD screen when the car is shifted into Reverse. I had it installed instead of doing it myself mainly bc running the RCA cable from back to front seemed like it would be a fairly annoying/frustrating task
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Hello.. How much did that all run you? I have an SV with the color screen and seems like its impossible to find something that will work :s what parts did u purchase and how much to install at futureshop? Thx!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey funnyman, it wasn't cheap. I bought the PA interface module (link in my first post) from Amazon.com for around $225 i believe. I bought a license plate style back up cam online for around $150 and FutureShop installed for $160 (regular back up cam installation is $80, but they charged me double bc of the interface module). The guys at FS installed it no problem.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 AM

UPDATE: I was doing some searching at work (more like browsing cuz we were slow) and found if you have the color screen and no camera, it looks like it prewired to accept a camera. I don't know if it's an option or not to have the a camera with color screen from factory or not.

Meaning there's a reverse signal, Video +, and Video - locations in the harness. Wires may or may not be there but that really isn't an issue.

So it could be possible that one just needs a camera and wire it to the factory screen without the need of modules or additional peices.

Now I wish I had a Max I could test this on!!

Last edited by 20_Maxima_10; 09-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 20_Maxima_10
UPDATE: I was doing some searching at work (more like browsing cuz we were slow) and found if you have the color screen and no camera, it looks like it prewired to accept a camera. I don't know if it's an option or not to have the a camera with color screen from factory or not.

Meaning there's a reverse signal, Video +, and Video - locations in the harness. Wires may or may not be there but that really isn't an issue.

So it could be possible that one just needs a camera and wire it to the factory screen without the need of modules or additional peices.

Now I wish I had a Max I could test this on!!
Maybe if u can show where these wires are located I could take a look :s
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM

Hey funnyman, it wasn't cheap. I bought the PA interface module (link in my first post) from Amazon.com for around $225 i believe. I bought a license plate style back up cam online for around $150 and FutureShop installed for $160 (regular back up cam installation is $80, but they charged me double bc of the interface module). The guys at FS installed it no problem.
So all that is needed is the module and back up camera?? What does the module do exactly? Thx!

Furly where are you located? In Canada?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by funnyman82
So all that is needed is the module and back up camera?? What does the module do exactly? Thx!

The module has a t-harness harness the you plug into the factory unit that interupts the factory color screen and plays either the back-up cam or even a video source if you want. Seeing as its a t-harness I would assume that the radio can see the reverse wire and the video inputs without any additional programming to the radio.

Here's a photo of the module

Old 09-15-2012, 03:37 PM

Maybe if u can show where these wires are located I could take a look :s
Here's what I got.

Name:  20120915_151826.jpg
Views: 3297
Size:  67.7 KB

The first photo shows the smaller harness that goes into the back of the radio. It shows FROM THE HARNESS SIDE that there is a "video +" signal and "Video -" signal (location 70 and 71)

Name:  20120915_151845.jpg
Views: 3311
Size:  74.5 KB

The 2nd photo shows that there is a reverse signal wire (location 105) that would, if no wire is present, just need to get a signal from the reverse lights and that would in theory trigger the screen to into "reverse" mode thus showing you the view of the camera.

Funnyman, can you check to see if these wires are present and possibly snap pics? Take the pics of the harnesses with the plug end faces away (harness/wire side faces you/camera)

Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, in Calgary.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM

Little of topic but in the same direction...so I test drove the new JX35...and besides the back up camera they have a front+ side cameras...no i find no use for side, but if i could have a button to press for the front camera then i would fins that extremely usefull when front parking the car( lip+lowered)...so could the eletronic geniuses figure out how to hook up a camera through a switch in the SV cars?

Quick Reply: Adding a back up camera