7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

FOB Key Not working. Car wont start Windows down!! ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM

FOB Key Not working. Car wont start Windows down!! ***

my windows are stuck down and it is snowing outside. Couldnt get care started so I was chacking fuses under hood when I leaned on key in pocket rolling all my windows down and I live in Alaska. I have a 2010 Max SV.

******PLEASE HELP**********************************

Yellow key light on. Cant turn on the accessory. Cant roll up windows (hard key doesn't work). I live in Alaska. 100 MILES FROM THE DEALER.

I've changed the car battery, the primary fob battery, and have tried the back up fob.

My brake lights do work.

I've noticed that the steering wheel lock is not engaging though.

All the while, though, the yellow light stays on while I'm seated in the car with either or both keys.

Yes I've tried to sit key in key boot. without any changes. Not even sure why they put that in the car.

And Yes, I've checked all the fuses.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Throw something over the car to keep the snow from getting inside your car. Hopefully your car is still under warranty, so I would call up your local Nissan dealership and have it towed in to see what's going on with it.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 PM

disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Then try again. Your car is in park correct? and foot is on the brake when you try to start? I know these are trivial, but sometimes when people panic they forget the little things.

If nothing, get the dealer to tow the car in for service, if it is under warranty.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM

yes foot on the brake. have disconnected the battery for >30 minutes without any success
Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 PM

Car is definetly in park. Cannot even turn on accessory to take out of park. I have covered the windows with sheets of plastic.

For some reason key doesn't work to roll windows back up.

Last edited by themark1; 01-22-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Man that sucks... let us know what's up once you get it looked at. I would recommend taking it to your dealership.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:38 PM

I believe the keyfob doesn't have the feature to roll the windows back up... Only down...
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by funnyman82
I believe the keyfob doesn't have the feature to roll the windows back up... Only down...
True. To roll the windows up requires either the key (removed from fob) in the driver's door lock turned to one side and held for several seconds, or use of the window switches on the inside of the doors while the ignition is on (engine does not have to be running).
Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 AM

I have the exact same issue and the car is at Nissan now. I read that somebody else on the board has that problem also. I read that it is the steering wheel lock module. Waiting to hear back from the dealer. I really hope that my experience is not like this post http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...not-start.html.

Good luck dude!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 AM

Thats exactly what it is...^^^....they dealership will tell you the part on back order...but you can deff located it via partsvoice.com....Not a pleasant bill i tell you that much!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile

Thanks for the thread. My 2009 Maxima had the same problem with not starting and you guys solved it for me. For those wanting to order the steering lock part themselves (because you are also out of warranty and live a hundred miles from the nearest dealer) it is a different part number than the one that fits the 370z. The part number that fit mine was 48700-9N00B. Yours might be different depending on the manufacture date so use the VIN check to be sure. You also might want to order two 48703-06F0A bolts.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 AM

So the steering wheel lock module prevents the car from not only starting, but also from going into the accessory start as well?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by PalmettoFellow
So the steering wheel lock module prevents the car from not only starting, but also from going into the accessory start as well?
That's correct. When you push the start button (without the brake) it will not go to "Acc". The person who had tried to start my car at the time said the front windows went down automatically. I don't know about that for sure but I can tell you I was unable to raise them. Also was unable to take it out of park.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 AM

Anyone else have further info on this. My car is at the dealer right now waiting to be repaired. I am out of warranty and they say the part is almost $1000. Total bill would be $1300. Anyone ever done this repair themselves? HELP!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 AM

I am not sure what further info you need...see above for part number! I found the part for around 400
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM

guys read this thread here

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ock-issue.html

there are temporary work-arounds that may work to get you operational again, and once you're operational you can disable the fuse that controls this never to be bothered again. 370z/GTR owners have the same problem for the same part for cars made around the same time and they have reported this DOES work.

-- TEMPORARY POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS TO TRY IF YOU ARE STRANDED --

1) Try the edmunds technique.... Turn the car off completely. Unlock your steering column (the lever under the steering) and abruptly move the steering wheel all the way up and down several times while hitting the push-start button once to ACC. If you hear a winding nose your steering-lock is free and should start the car...continue starting the car. If you dont hear it, re-try.

2) Try the tapping technique (if you want to call it that).... Turn the car off. get under your steering column, locate your steering lock, tap at the steering lock itself GENTLY with a small hammer or plastic mallet...while you press the start button once. or even use one of your metal temporary tools in the trunk. If you hear a winding noise coming from the steering-lock it is free. You should be able to start the car. Continue to start the car. If you don't hear the noise continue tapping it and cycle through the starter button ACC/ON/OFF a few times slowly.

3) Try unplugging the steering lock harness and tap at the steering lock gently, plug it back in and try #2) above.

LINK TO DISABLING THE FUSE

http://www.the370z.com/diy-section-d...lved-real.html
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 AM

^^^^^ Dan's right def the steering wheel lock issue
Old 12-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Is the fuse location and info for the 370Z the same as the Maxima?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM

It is not confirmed yet, but I believe so yes. Should be labeled "steering column" or something similar
Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 AM

I love this forum! Just saved $1300. I was able to tap on the part and unlock it. Started the car and pulled the fuse. Good to go. I am still trying to get Nissan to pay for the part, let's see what they do...
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 AM

dude that's awesome news!

Last edited by Ghozt; 12-14-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by doubler8
I love this forum! Just saved $1300. I was able to tap on the part and unlock it. Started the car and pulled the fuse. Good to go. I am still trying to get Nissan to pay for the part, let's see what they do...
That is so rad. I'm lucky that I shouldn't be encountering the problem, and I really don't know much about it, but still want to point out and thank the guys who really do spend a good amount of time sharing their knowledge here. $1300 saved? Good god that's awesome.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM

Glad to hear you saved $1,300 bucks Merry Christmas
Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Whoa, great news man! Spending that much loot close to Xmas is not easy!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM

This seems like a common issue on the 370z but how common is it for the Max? Are there particular years effected. I've been on and off here so this is the first I've heard of it.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:25 AM

Guys this just happened to me a week ago. Same issues as above. Car was excellent, never had a problem with starting, until I came out of wawa at 3am to go to work, and the ***** wouldn't start for ****. Got towed to the dealer, and had to drop $850 with tax, to fix the damn steering lock module. And it was right around Xmas. I contacted nissan right away and I told them about my issue, my car has 46000 miles on it so wasn't covered. But they said they will let me know if they will reimburse me because of this issue. And I seen almost everyone had this problem. For my guys who hasn't, please disable your steering lock fuse which is in engine bay. It will save u greatly trust me.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Let me know if you have any luck with Nissan. They told me No, I escalated to a supervisor and was told no again. I was given very legal/canned BS responses. They wouldn't answer any of my questions like, why was this part recalled on the GTR, but not other models? I was just trying to get them to pay for the part cost and I would pay labor. No luck...
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 AM

if you have an 09 you'll want to do this NOW before your part fails. disable the fuse before you're wishing you had guys
Old 12-28-2012, 11:26 AM

'09's and 10's, right Dan?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Ok, So how does one disable this in a 09 model ?

I assume it is simple but pulling a fuse can also lead to other issues, if that fuse is on a share circuit.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:46 PM

Nevermind I will try this link as Ghozt posted, it may work..

Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

disabling the fuse works did mine today
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

09 maxima got stranded picking up a pizza, did the diy after i had it towed home. the 2 safety screw is on the side , after removing my lock waas stuck in down pos. took a screwdriver and push the lock up and down hard( like a dead bolt on your door) plug back in and bam car turn back on like normal and it starts, i qickly remove the fuse and all is good. cheapest new lock i found was 600 $ . i took the safety screw put it on my vice, use hacksaw to cut a grove on the screw and used a flat head screw driver to reinstall did all this after 2 days of researching on this site and 370z
just want to tell everyone how much i appriciate all the reseach and posting, without it i would have had to dealt with stealership
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

anyone need specific answer on how i did it can message me or email me directly at luonghai@sbcglobal.net new to site and dont know how to navigate around here yet just want to pay it forward. it sucks being stranded and to find out it could cost a 1k to fix at stealership
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the fuse is in main fuse box beside the bat. if u can get steering lock to work, just turn on acc. then remove fuse, turn car off , then start as normal, did mine after i had steering lock fail, works great have not noticed any adverse problems
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 AM

For what it is worth our '09 Maxima had its Steering Lock fail at ~39,400 miles two days ago and the replacement part on the invoice Nissan used was 48700-9N00B. I could yank off the column trim and take a look at the lock to confirm if that part # is on the lock itself or just a universal "lock" P/N they use for invoicing. Thankfully the extended warranty we purchased covered the part and the roadside assistance tow.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM

yea just disable the fuse - GMTraitor found that link on 370z forums and Monte found the solution to disable the fuse to save all our asses.

funny thing is the 2010+ maximas dont even seem to have it, must have been nissans solution lol
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ghozt
guys read this thread here

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ock-issue.html

there are temporary work-arounds that may work to get you operational again, and once you're operational you can disable the fuse that controls this never to be bothered again. 370z/GTR owners have the same problem for the same part for cars made around the same time and they have reported this DOES work.

-- TEMPORARY POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS TO TRY IF YOU ARE STRANDED --

1) Try the edmunds technique.... Turn the car off completely. Unlock your steering column (the lever under the steering) and abruptly move the steering wheel all the way up and down several times while hitting the push-start button once to ACC. If you hear a winding nose your steering-lock is free and should start the car...continue starting the car. If you dont hear it, re-try.

2) Try the tapping technique (if you want to call it that).... Turn the car off. get under your steering column, locate your steering lock, tap at the steering lock itself GENTLY with a small hammer or plastic mallet...while you press the start button once. or even use one of your metal temporary tools in the trunk. If you hear a winding noise coming from the steering-lock it is free. You should be able to start the car. Continue to start the car. If you don't hear the noise continue tapping it and cycle through the starter button ACC/ON/OFF a few times slowly.

3) Try unplugging the steering lock harness and tap at the steering lock gently, plug it back in and try #2) above.

LINK TO DISABLING THE FUSE

Thank you very much. I applied this to a friend's Maxima and the car is up again
Old 01-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Just took fuse out,took me about a minute...
Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 AM

For anyone that has run into this issue, here is the direct link to Nissan's site that this issue is covered under extended warranty, and they will even reimburse for people that have bought this part in the past (under certain conditions):

Electronic Steering Column Lock (ESCL) Warranty Extension

I had this fixed at my Nissan dealership yesterday. Luckily my dealership had 20+ of these parts in stock and have done this fix on 20-30 Altimas/Maximas/370's and a few GT-R's in the last couple of months. It took them just over an hour to change the part once they had it at the dealership. I had the car towed to the dealership, it got there around 10:30, got a call at noon that my car was fixed, they had washed my car and even thrown in an oil change since they saw it was due for a change from the window sticker.

I'm extremely satisfied and I was stressing big time over having to pay the $650 for the part, which is the going price for the part right now, and another 300-400 in replacement costs. Overall, I paid nothing and got a free oil change.

Quick Reply: FOB Key Not working. Car wont start Windows down!! ***