7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB not recognized. Cannot start car

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question Key FOB not recognized. Cannot start car

On my 2010 SV model my key FOB is inconsistent and sometimes my car says no key and cannot start the car. Took it back three times: one time they replaced entire sensor system, second time battery and third time new key FOB. I am so afraid that I will be stranded that I do not take the car out of time. This is a big problem.Anyone has the same problem? Last time I put the FOB in the slot in lower left hand corner and still did not start. I think this is a generic problem.

Last edited by ArvindCpatel; 04-10-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 PM

nope... but there is a slot on the lower left hand side of the dash where you can insert the fob to start your car...
Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Make sure your battery is ready for busines. The engine bay.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jam_Roc
Make sure your battery is ready for busines. The engine bay.
My 2010 battery crapped out with 14K (and yes it was serviced properly)
The one thing I didn't do was to let it not start on me. After a couple of super slow cranking episodes out came the stock Nissan motorcycle battery and in with the Interstate.

Also, I would think if you had it in 3 time they should have ruled out the car battery as the issue?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 AM

Well known problem with all "push start" Nissans...not only with Maxima...
Here you go...might be an explanation to what you are asking about :
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...not-start.html
Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by morteljc
nope... but there is a slot on the lower left hand side of the dash where you can insert the fob to start your car...
Thats just a key holder...it will not recharge the battery, although all nissan sales reps are sure it will do that, and it will not help you start your car if the Steering Wheel module is gone bad...
Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 AM

i mean it will not recharge but i think it will get your car started...
Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM

I believe its only usefull when the key battery is dead...i think the OP's problem is the Steering wheel lock module...i've been there...not fun
Old 09-23-2012, 07:16 AM

So how do I replace the battery in the key fob (or is this a Nissan Dealer thing)? I just got a 43k-used SV Sport+Tech from Carmax and it's an AWESOME car except for a few minor issues.

Upon entering the car, the dashboard flashes a picture of the key fob and a battery indicator (which I assume means the key fob is running out of juice).

Also, I see that if the battery dies, you can start the car by putting the key fob into the little slot. Regardless, how would I enter/exit the car with a dead key fob?

If anyone is curious, I'm also having entry/exit issues specific to: auto headlight shutoff, seat adjustment and steering wheel tilt. See this thread. Besides that, the car is in great shape! *knock on wood*
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 AM

Yeah sounds like you need a new battery in the keyfob. If you look at the back of the keyfob there is a small button you can slide to the side, this releases the physical key you can use on your door to get in if it dies.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Yeah sounds like you need a new battery in the keyfob. If you look at the back of the keyfob there is a small button you can slide to the side, this releases the physical key you can use on your door to get in if it dies.
Ah, that's right. I forgot about the physical key. Where would I insert this physical key on the door? All I see is a button on the door handle (unless I completely glanced over it).

Dumb question...I know. Today = Day #2 of ownership.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 AM

Yeah you should have a keyhole on your driver side handle
Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 PM

I figured something like this would happen... with the extra complexity introduced w push to start... but I coulda swore that the keyfobs had a key for a regular manual start for situations like this...
Old 05-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2009 Nissan Maxima "No key" / Car battery issue

Hello, I drive a 2009 Nissan Maxima. My battery is brand new just bought it Nov 2015 and I just moved, haven't drove my car in about 3 weeks.. needless to say it wouldn't start. I couldn't get my electronic key to unlock/lock my doors. So of course I bought new batteries and replaced to no avail. Tried jumping it with my sisters brand new caravan. Still to no avail. Checked the alternator, was still good. I did notice when trying to jump and start the car by pressing brake and push in start button it wouldn't turn on but showed "No key" but I had both my keys inside the car. My sister jumped in the car and closed the door, she saw a new symbol showing to put key inside this slot to start the car... (the slot that is located to the left under the steering wheel under where you adjust your mirrors, etc) She then pushed brake and pushed button and BINGO!! it turned on fine. Just wanted to share this in case anyone else has been through this before heading to a dealership. Thought we needed a key configuration but it wanted the key inserted. Hope this helps someone else out there!!

Originally Posted by morteljc
Old 05-14-2016, 03:50 AM

My 2 cents. I had the battery die on me. So the car wouldn't turn over.. The key wasn't being noticed. So I sat in the car for like 4 minutes(jumper cables still attached on to a camaro) than the car started. So here's my theory. I think the key system needs a few minutes to "boot up" with a weak battery. I kept trying to start it and it probably was getting too weak each time and starting over. So just give it a few minutes.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2011 Maxima SV, 52K miles. Recently I started getting the 'key fob battery low' light. I tried swapping out the battery and it didn't go away. Then I started having problems with the door handle button not unlocking the doors. Then the fob buttons stopped working unless I was IN the car. The physical key will lock the car but not unlock it. I saw a post elsewhere that the key fob/car interface could be reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (key fob not near car), putting the fob in the fob plug and reconnecting the battery. This solved the problem for about 10 minutes. I have an Interstate battery (probably has 30K on it, came with the car when I bought it used. Car will run with fob in fob plug, but I don't dare lock the car. Same problem with both fobs that I have. Help?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:31 AM

First thing I would do is change out the FOB batteries with new off the shelf stuff, then put in a new car battery. This way you rule out battery issues. Your car battery is probably due for a change anyway.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Already swapped the batteries in the fobs (I have a box of them for a red dot gunsight), didn't help. Car battery could stand to be swapped out I guess, it's looking kind of grody.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I put in a new battery, key unlocks door and after the first start, everything works good all day. 1st thing in the morning I have to use the physical key still. Ugh
Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

fob buttons never work now, have to put the fob in the slot to run the car, don't dare lock it. All batteries replaced. Is there a sensor issue here?
Old 11-07-2023, 04:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ArvindCpatel
On my 2010 SV model my key FOB is inconsistent and sometimes my car says no key and cannot start the car. Took it back three times: one time they replaced entire sensor system, second time battery and third time new key FOB. I am so afraid that I will be stranded that I do not take the car out of time. This is a big problem.Anyone has the same problem? Last time I put the FOB in the slot in lower left hand corner and still did not start. I think this is a generic problem.

I've been having the same problem with my 2010 Nissan Maxima I've replaced the battery in the key fob I replaced the battery in the car I don't know what it is but it's really annoying me I'm pissing me off I just haven't got the car 3 months ago and put more money in this thing just because of the key fob and the battery and security system it's unbelievable if there's any advice please give it to me now
Old 11-26-2023, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

key fob not recognized- car not starting

Originally Posted by ArvindCpatel

i’m going through the same thing right now! i have a 2014 Maxima. i’ve changed the batteries 4-5 times. had the key fob reprogrammed and it worked for maybe 2 weeks and now it reads the key intermittently- mostly when the weather is over 50 degrees! WTH?!! i’m checking to see if there’s a fuse connected in some way (here’s hoping), but like you, i don’t take it out (when i’m able to start it it) and turn it off- hopefully one of us finds a remedy sometime soon! i’ll keep checking back …good luck to you!