7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Cold Air...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012 | 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cold Air...

What's up fellas, new to the forum and all but I been searching for a good cold air intake and since probably 99% of you guys have more experience than me when it comes to a maxima I'd like to see what kind of recommendations I get as far as the most superior intake for the 7th gen..
Old 05-18-2012 | 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by BENNYKNOX
What's up fellas, new to the forum and all but I been searching for a good cold air intake and since probably 99% of you guys have more experience than me when it comes to a maxima I'd like to see what kind of recommendations I get as far as the most superior intake for the 7th gen..
Seems like most go either Stillen or R2C here... but I've heard of issues with some with the Stillen and same with the R2C hence why I havent done anything yet with mine
Old 05-18-2012 | 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by PSU09MAXIMA
Seems like most go either Stillen or R2C here... but I've heard of issues with some with the Stillen and same with the R2C hence why I havent done anything yet with mine
I've heard the same thing that's why I'm questionable as well..what about AEM? Any news on that?
Old 05-18-2012 | 11:19 AM

you know its funny people call them "cold air intake" I have the Stillen and it is definetly a short ram intake, Cold air intakes route the piping towards the bottom of the vehicle to pull in "Cold Air" from underneath the car. I have not seen such a systme for the 7th gyn yet!
Old 05-18-2012 | 11:23 AM

Hot air intake
Old 05-18-2012 | 11:31 AM

Some people also prefer to just do a drop in K&N filter into the current box. They have said that has good results as well.
Old 05-18-2012 | 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by seesole
you know its funny people call them "cold air intake" I have the Stillen and it is definetly a short ram intake, Cold air intakes route the piping towards the bottom of the vehicle to pull in "Cold Air" from underneath the car. I have not seen such a systme for the 7th gyn yet!
Ghozt made his own custom true CAI the write up is on My7thgen.org
Old 05-18-2012 | 12:41 PM

I have a stillen intake on mine, and the install wasn't too shabby and neither was the reclean I just recently did on it.
Old 05-18-2012 | 01:40 PM

Don't waste your time money on these short ram intake (SRI). A member on here (Ghozt) did a full research comparing stock vs SRI vs custom CAI and it shows that the stock intake provides more MPG than the SRI. This is becasue the stock intake is a fully enclose unit thus it sucks in less hot air, the other SRIs (Stillen, Takeka, RC2) are not fully enclose and the filter is expose to the rising temperature in the engine, 2009 engines get quite hot.

Unless you plan to move the battery to the trunk, cut and bend pipes and custom fit the cold air intake system don't waste your time with SRI.

Save your money and go buy the K&N air filter for 50 bucks...save money and work great
Old 05-18-2012 | 03:08 PM

sorry, the bay is a little dirty in this pic. here's the custom CAI I built off my Takeda SRI (which does require relocating the battery).

overall my conclusions were the short ram wasn't that much better than stock due to the significant heat soak at idle and subsequent low end losses in power. theres even a thread on the 6th gen forums comparing short ram intakes to the stock intake and the results were stock intake got better mileage and the low end loss wasnt worth it overall.

some members here are looking at building a complete shroud similar to the R2C just actually complete. whoever can do that first and make a nice fitment to the OEM grill duct will have the first short ram cold air intake that doesn't require a battery relo. can't lie i LOVE my CAI but with a properly made complete shroud a SRI would be awesome. right now though the short rams just make noise, so iuno. its a little more work than I would have liked to put into an intake but it was a fun project so...

OP - are you looking for noise or power? cause you can go the exhaust route (even just a custom resonator) to get a nice sound out of this car.

Last edited by Ghozt; 05-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2012 | 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ghozt
sorry, the bay is a little dirty in this pic. here's the custom CAI I built off my Takeda SRI (which does require relocating the battery).

overall my conclusions were the short ram wasn't that much better than stock due to the significant heat soak at idle and subsequent low end losses in power. theres even a thread on the 6th gen forums comparing short ram intakes to the stock intake and the results were stock intake got better mileage and the low end loss wasnt worth it overall.

some members here are looking at building a complete shroud similar to the R2C just actually complete. whoever can do that first and make a nice fitment to the OEM grill duct will have the first short ram cold air intake that doesn't require a battery relo. can't lie i LOVE my CAI but with a properly made complete shroud a SRI would be awesome. right now though the short rams just make noise, so iuno. its a little more work than I would have liked to put into an intake but it was a fun project so...

OP - are you looking for noise or power? cause you can go the exhaust route (even just a custom resonator) to get a nice sound out of this car.
Ehh I think im leaning towards the sound of the car mostly..
Old 05-18-2012 | 04:36 PM

I feel kind of like an idiot asking this but here goes: What is the point of a Short Ram Intake though? Just sound? BC it seems you dont get much more power out of them its mainly sound... Where as a true CAI you get both
Old 05-18-2012 | 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by PSU09MAXIMA
I feel kind of like an idiot asking this but here goes: What is the point of a Short Ram Intake though? Just sound? BC it seems you dont get much more power out of them its mainly sound... Where as a true CAI you get both
Sound mostly, and Yes.
Your stock intake is actually a cold air intake. Dump the oiled-up mess of the stock Nissan filter and replace it with either a K&N filter or a "dry type" panel filter as others here seem to prefer.
I bought the pre-oiled K&N and like it a lot. No issues at all as the oil applied is very light. I could not get any oil to absorb onto a tissue or paper towel prior to installation.
**Definite performance increase over stock without the SRI heat soak issues.

**I failed to mention the filter change was also concurrent with a RacingLine Y-pipe install.

Last edited by dr_2010SV; 05-18-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2012 | 05:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
Sound mostly, and Yes.
Your stock intake is actually a cold air intake. Dump the oiled-up mess of the stock Nissan filter and replace it with either a K&N filter or a "dry type" panel filter as others here seem to prefer.
I bought the pre-oiled K&N and like it a lot. No issues at all as the oil applied is very light. I could not get any oil to absorb onto a tissue or paper towel prior to installation.
**Definite performance increase over stock without the SRI heat soak issues.

**I failed to mention the filter change was also concurrent with a RacingLine Y-pipe install.
Sounds good..will give it a try thanks bro
Old 05-21-2012 | 07:40 AM

I have link on how the Racingline Y-Pipe and a custom resonator build sounds on one of these posts somewhere. Although these Intakes produce little to no hp or torque gains, I would only get them for the power. With that being said, I had dropped a K&N air filter in way ago, and it runs nice and smooth.

Real question for me is: Do I have to re-oil it or do anything to it over time? nothing stated that I did.
Old 05-21-2012 | 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
I have link on how the Racingline Y-Pipe and a custom resonator build sounds on one of these posts somewhere. Although these Intakes produce little to no hp or torque gains, I would only get them for the power. With that being said, I had dropped a K&N air filter in way ago, and it runs nice and smooth.

Real question for me is: Do I have to re-oil it or do anything to it over time? nothing stated that I did.
When it gets real dirty you should wash it and re-oil.
Old 05-21-2012 | 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jam_Roc
When it gets real dirty you should wash it and re-oil.
I would just check it out year to year After I put around 30,000 miles on it I'll honestly just throw it out and order a new one rather than go through the whole reoiling process because you have to make sure you dont put to much oil on it... this is where you hear of issues caused by them with the MAF
Old 05-21-2012 | 01:42 PM

^ Thanks you guys. I appreciate the feedback. Yeah..Autoanything.com sells the Filters for like 40 bucks..Its a good price + when they have coupon codes & Discounts!
Old 05-21-2012 | 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
^ Thanks you guys. I appreciate the feedback. Yeah..Autoanything.com sells the Filters for like 40 bucks..Its a good price + when they have coupon codes & Discounts!
Also check out Amazon.com that's where I got mine free shipping no tax it was $39.99
Old 05-21-2012 | 04:08 PM

I went with the dry filter from aFe off of Amazon:

http://forums.maxima.org/8470250-post1.html