7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Tech Package without Music Box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question: Tech Package without Music Box?

Hi all - proud owner of a used 2011 with premium and, I believe, tech package. That's what my question is about:

I have Nav, back-up camera, etc but don't seem to have Music Box? I don't see a record option when I play a CD and I don't see any reference to Music Box anywhere.... is there something I need to enable or was it possible to get one with the Tech options but no Music box?

thanks, any help appreciated.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 PM

Sounds like you only have the premium package. I also have a 2011 with sport and tech package. You usually have an option to record once gracenote has scanned the cd. Congrats on the Maxi
Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 PM

not really needed imo. i never used mine. ipod is just fine.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by gabe606
Sounds like you only have the premium package. I also have a 2011 with sport and tech package. You usually have an option to record once gracenote has scanned the cd. Congrats on the Maxi
Correct. The Music Box is part of the Technology Package, which can be added on top of other packages (such as Sport and Premium) as the car is assembled, but not added later.

Many old fogies like me, who still live in the 1947 Kodak box Brownie camera age, absolutely love this Music Box. But many young folks (who are already sporting devices Buck Rogers and **** Tracy could only dream of) don't seem to need the Music Box; too many other music options with which they are already familiar.

EDIT - Seems the famous comics book detective's first name is now a 'four letter word.' That poses a problem, because he was never known as 'Richard' in his comic strip.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-27-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks all - I am certainly happy with the iPod interface,I just wanted to confirm which packages I had. I had thought that Nav and DVD player etc would indicate Tech on top of Premium.

When I put a CD in it said something about Gracenote scanning but then it just played with no record option.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by rak_canada
Thanks all - I am certainly happy with the iPod interface,I just wanted to confirm which packages I had. I had thought that Nav and DVD player etc would indicate Tech on top of Premium.

When I put a CD in it said something about Gracenote scanning but then it just played with no record option.
Given what you stated you should have music box. Tech package consists of Nav and DVD player. The only way to get those is within the Tech package. Have you pressed the Aux button to cycle through to see if Music Box appears? Since it is used maybe the Music Box was loaded up by the previous owner and the storage is full and that's why you don't see a record option.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by LSIII
Given what you stated you should have music box. Tech package consists of Nav and DVD player. The only way to get those is within the Tech package. Have you pressed the Aux button to cycle through to see if Music Box appears? Since it is used maybe the Music Box was loaded up by the previous owner and the storage is full and that's why you don't see a record option.
OOPS!

LSIII is correct. In my earlier post, I caught the fact you had backup camera, which is standard with the Premium, but overlooked the mention that you had the Nav, which is NOT part of the Premium Package. You do indeed have the Tech Package with Music Box.

Either you may be overlooking the 'record' option, which is dispayed with a VERY TINY 'rec' in the lower left corner (only while the CD is playing), or your disc area has been filled with music, which you should be able to either delete or play and enjoy.

Sorry I misled. But happy you do have the Music Box.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:04 PM

Some disk, especially pre-recorded, (home made) "may not" record. I store purchased disk will record , my home made will not!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by a2rob
Some disk, especially pre-recorded, (home made) "may not" record. I store purchased disk will record , my home made will not!

A few others here have had this problem. This is pretty much restricted to 'homemade' CDs. There have been very few store-bought CDs reported here that would not record onto the Music Box.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Love my '09

If a CD is written as a MUSIC cd with tracks and finalized, the music box should read it and write it.

If the CD is written as MP3 files, it will NOT record for you, but the player will still play it.

the first format allows for 60 minutes of music. The 2nd format allows for tons more but is actually a "data" type format.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks all - car is being shipped right now so I haven't been able to get in again and check a few CDs. I only tried one CD that was an actual music disc. I did cycle through sources and didn't see anything like Music Box as an option. I'll play more when I'm reunited next week.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima 2012, Sports Pacakage, Please help!

Hello,

I just bought Maxima 2012, sports package, no tech package!

Ok, so I had the home made CD that I put it in and I didnt see Rec option anywhere!!! So then I took it out and I was able to see Rec OPTION.

After that when I plugged my Iphone thru AUX (USB Connection), I haven't seen Rec option while playing songs.

I think it should be able to read all the format even though it is MP3. If not, then how can I record the cd that will be read by Music Box???

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by hot_n_sour_242000
Hello,

Ok, so I had the home made CD that I put it in and I didnt see Rec option anywhere!!! So then I took it out and I was able to see Rec OPTION.

After that when I plugged my Iphone thru AUX (USB Connection), I haven't seen Rec option while playing songs.

I think it should be able to read all the format even though it is MP3. If not, then how can I record the cd that will be read by Music Box???

Thanks.
Only works for store bought CDs
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by hot_n_sour_242000
Hello,

Thanks.
It's because the player can't read MP3 CDs that's why it didn't give you a record option. Re-burn the cd but this in standard CD format (wav files). It'll work then, I've tested it. Personally, I wish there was a quicker way to load music in the music box hdd then having to swap in/out CDs. I'm leaning towards getting a dedicated iPod and leaving it in the car. Much easier to manage especially if you use iTunes Match.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by JuiceZ
It's because the player can't read MP3 CDs that's why it didn't give you a record option. Re-burn the cd but this in standard CD format (wav files). It'll work then, I've tested it. Personally, I wish there was a quicker way to load music in the music box hdd then having to swap in/out CDs. I'm leaning towards getting a dedicated iPod and leaving it in the car. Much easier to manage especially if you use iTunes Match.
Also you can turn off the REC from disc option. I have an old 60 gig ipod that I dedicated to the Maxima and I use my other one in my Cougar. Btw, I have a disc that I recorded and muisc box read it, played it, and applied the artists and song titles as well.