7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change the bulbs in side view mirror turning signal

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 AM

How to change the bulbs in side view mirror turning signal

Just noticed the turning signal light on my side view mirror is out, how do I switch the bulbs and which bulbs do I put in there. Tried to do a Google search but that wasn't too helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 AM

you dont switch it u bring it back to the dealer because it happen to me and also it was getting condensation as well they changed it within 20 minutes.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 AM

They are LEDs so there is no simple swap. You have to take apparat the the whole mirror and bake the lights in your oven and resoder new LEDs. Or just take it to the dealer if your under warranty.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 AM

i called it they said it'll cost me $420 to get it changed since i'd have to replace the whole unit...

That can't be right...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM

you should check out courtesyparts.com or ebay you can probably get entire replacement side mirrors for less than that
Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 AM

called another dealer, and the guy told me its covered under my basic warranty. Going in tomorrow morning, hope I don't get a different story.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM

Haha, freaking dealerships! How do you call one and get $420 price tag, but the other says "come on in it's on the house!" haha
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by WrightOne86
Haha, freaking dealerships! How do you call one and get $420 price tag, but the other says "come on in it's on the house!" haha
its so ridiculous just proves having a truthful good dealership makes things so much easier. I'm lucky I have one 15 mins away and one a half hour away
Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 PM

I just had one done under factory warranty and one good will warranty, the left one the lights quit working and the other had some condensation in it, they were $409,00 ea plus labor.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:48 AM

i told u so!! dealer****s are thieves...
Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 AM

This is an older thread at this point but I found it while searching google.

My max is now out of warranty at 41k miles. I had my driver side mirror replaced due to moisture and not working. Well, the moisture is back and it's starting to diim again. The passenger side has stopped working all together. It seems that Nissan needs to fix this.

Has anyone heard of a TSB or have they had Nissan fix these outside of warranty?

As a last resort, I will consider opening up the mirrors and replacing the LED's. I've already taken a brief look at what it would take and it doesn't appear difficult and soldering/electronics is right up my alley. I'd still like to have Nissan roger up to a bad design and fix it. I guarantee you this is a wide spread issue. I've even seen a few Max's out on the street with non-functional side lights.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by umdpru
This is an older thread at this point but I found it while searching google.

My max is now out of warranty at 41k miles. I had my driver side mirror replaced due to moisture and not working. Well, the moisture is back and it's starting to diim again. The passenger side has stopped working all together. It seems that Nissan needs to fix this.

Has anyone heard of a TSB or have they had Nissan fix these outside of warranty?

As a last resort, I will consider opening up the mirrors and replacing the LED's. I've already taken a brief look at what it would take and it doesn't appear difficult and soldering/electronics is right up my alley. I'd still like to have Nissan roger up to a bad design and fix it. I guarantee you this is a wide spread issue. I've even seen a few Max's out on the street with non-functional side lights.
If your driver side mirror is acting up again, it still may be under warranty from the point at which you had it replaced. Check the receipt you got when it was worked on.

There is a TSB for moisture/condensation accumulation in exterior lamps. Search for "tail light moisture." I'm willing to bet it's on the second or third page of the 7th gen forum.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 PM

My Max is still under warranty and had the passengers side replaced 3 months ago. Now I have moisture in both mirrors and I am taking it back to the dealership tomorrow to see what they say? Will post the results.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:31 PM

about right price

Originally Posted by Ghost_capo
i called it they said it'll cost me $420 to get it changed since i'd have to replace the whole unit...

That can't be right...
That is pretty close on the cost. I had mine replaced under warranty and it was 400 usd . In fact I had both sides replaced all under warranty.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by sonomamax
That is pretty close on the cost. I had mine replaced under warranty and it was 400 usd . In fact I had both sides replaced all under warranty.
you do know the entire side mirror unit (including LED strip) is like 150-200 on ebay right?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM

Dealership ordered 2 new mirror assemblies and will replace them both when they come in this week at no cost to me. Man I am glad I have a warranty.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

this is crazy

I love my max, but boy is it hard maintenance..replace the whole mirror for a couple of burnt bulbs..I'll just leave it as is..my warranty is expired and I could find some other parts to spend 500$ on
Old 09-02-2014, 09:46 PM

http://www.go-parts.com/0911-nissan-...r-p-50440.html

Buy that and just get it painted.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good find
Old 09-03-2014, 06:06 AM

It happened to me too.. the blinker was flickering. I took it to the dealer and they said they don't change the lights, they replace the whole mirror. So I went back a couple days later and they installed. (I was under warranty)
Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM

For those of us out of warranty you don't have to buy a whole new mirror. Simply pop off the cover and mirror and unscrew the unit. It will unplug from the back of the lens. The turn signals from the 07-12 Altima are the exact same thing and they sell the part individually. It will not be listed under 09-13 Maxima but here are the part numbers. I went through thick and thin to figure this out.

NISSAN 26442ZX50A - Passenger side
NISSAN 26443ZX50A - Drivers side
Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Just had my Nissan dealership order a new driver and passenger side mirror assembly; the condensation/moisture buildup is causing some of the LEDs to flicker and we can't be having that.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dudemaine
Just had my Nissan dealership order a new driver and passenger side mirror assembly; the condensation/moisture buildup is causing some of the LEDs to flicker and we can't be having that.
Done and done!

Anchor Nissan in North Smithfield, RI just replaced my driver and passenger side mirrors at no charge; only thing that made me nervous was if they were gonna mess up the vinyl wrap covering the chrome window trim - - which they didn't.

If any of you cats are in the RI or MA area and you're close in proximity to that dealership, it's a total no-brainer. I feel as if the word 'stealership' gets thrown around frequently on these forums -- and deservedly so -- but I've been doing business there for 2.5 years + and have been waiting for them to drop the ball / screw it up / try to pull one over on me, and, I really can only say nothing but great things about them.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 PM

Drivers side mirror LED is out

2011, bought at end of 2010, so it's out of warrantee. Just noticed drivers side mirror LED is out. Passengers looks partially out.

I'm now looking for something on the internet that I can review before I start taking them apart.
I could get new mirrors, but hard to believe the fix is new mirrors. Seems like such a waste and will be doing it again in a few years.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 PM

They are both around $35 - $45 which is so much cheaper than a new mirror. it is almost impossible to surface mount solder those small leds. You could try to use some air dry conductive epoxy but the time and effort isn't worth more than $45. Trust me I've tried.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am posting a question: I have a 2010 maxima and the side mirror signal has stopped working, how is this repaired?
Old 12-04-2014, 05:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

so you cant just replace the bulbs
Old 12-04-2014, 01:28 PM

You literally posted a question in a thread that already had the answer to your question.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:47 PM

at least he searched.. just read
Old 12-04-2014, 05:18 PM

@J_dubb you seem to be the "search the threads" police. I get it but there is no point in replying to everyone's dumb questions with a dumb answer that doesn't further the thread. I count 4-5 of these replies just within the last week from you. If everyone searched the threads I wouldn't have anything new to read on the throne and that would suck!!! So... Go ahead and let them repeat some questions as there may be a new slant or angle to the info. Also, I believe you got mad at someone for updating an old thread... Anyway, I'm just poking fun as the site is not that great at this point anyway and is good for a read every now and then!
Old 12-05-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
@J_dubb you seem to be the "search the threads" police. I get it but there is no point in replying to everyone's dumb questions with a dumb answer that doesn't further the thread. I count 4-5 of these replies just within the last week from you. If everyone searched the threads I wouldn't have anything new to read on the throne and that would suck!!! So... Go ahead and let them repeat some questions as there may be a new slant or angle to the info. Also, I believe you got mad at someone for updating an old thread... Anyway, I'm just poking fun as the site is not that great at this point anyway and is good for a read every now and then!
Anything I've responded with has been an attempt to educate someone on proper forum use. These are all things that are outlined in the forums rules. I'm not really sure where the inference is that I was mad about anything? I suppose using your thought process it's safe to say that you got mad about me getting mad at someone for updating an old thread, huh?

Furthermore; you responding to each of the posts that you've dubbed "dumb" and "doesn't further the thread" is a bit hypocritical, dontcha think?

Maxima.org does not exist so that you've reading material while you're "on the throne." You should probably head over to reddit, you'll find loads of reading material there. I'd imagine that those of us that would prefer not to wade through pointless posts to find decent content on the forums are in the majority.

I'll look forward to your response about how incredibly angry I obviously am over all of this.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:05 AM

You got me dead go rights! No worries and thanks for setting me straight. It won't happen again.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
You got me dead go rights! No worries and thanks for setting me straight. It won't happen again.
hahah dang bro tuck your tail much?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:50 AM

Sarcasm
Old 12-08-2014, 04:45 AM

They are both around $35 - $45 which is so much cheaper than a new mirror. it is almost impossible to surface mount solder those small leds. You could try to use some air dry conductive epoxy but the time and effort isn't worth more than $45. Trust me I've tried.
It's not difficult to solder the LED's at all if you have a decent iron with a small tip. Most irons from Radio Shack, etc. will have tip that is just too large. If you buy replacement lights then you'd server yourself well to separate the housing and glue them together with a good adhesive.

I had this issue (as many have on my 2010. I had both mirror replaced under warranty and the problem returned after the warranty was up.

I disassembled the mirros and pulled the light assembly out. The adhesive the manufacturer is using on the light lens assembly is absolutely garbage and doesn't hold well which opens up the whole light assembly to moisture. I ended up desoldering the LED's from the flexible circuit within the light. I ordered replacement LED's from Digikey and installed them. Then I used some better adhesive Loctite Stick N' Seal Ultra to glue the light assembly back together. It's been like that for almost a year now and NO moisture in the light.

The only problem is the LED's I bought are more red than they are orange but that's fine with me.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by umdpru
It's not difficult to solder the LED's at all if you have a decent iron with a small tip. Most irons from Radio Shack, etc. will have tip that is just too large. If you buy replacement lights then you'd server yourself well to separate the housing and glue them together with a good adhesive.

I had this issue (as many have on my 2010. I had both mirror replaced under warranty and the problem returned after the warranty was up.

I disassembled the mirros and pulled the light assembly out. The adhesive the manufacturer is using on the light lens assembly is absolutely garbage and doesn't hold well which opens up the whole light assembly to moisture. I ended up desoldering the LED's from the flexible circuit within the light. I ordered replacement LED's from Digikey and installed them. Then I used some better adhesive Loctite Stick N' Seal Ultra to glue the light assembly back together. It's been like that for almost a year now and NO moisture in the light.

The only problem is the LED's I bought are more red than they are orange but that's fine with me.
Yes the sealant/adhesive used in the OEM mirrors is terrible. I took my brand new ones apart, removed all the old adhesive, and went and got some good quality clear silicon. Re sealed them and haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 AM

You can grab the 4th gen Altima side mirror signals. They sell those by themselves and they fit in our Maxima. It's like $40 for each side. Cheaper than buying a whole assembly when you don't need it.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Led

Originally Posted by mjhuffer
For those of us out of warranty you don't have to buy a whole new mirror. Simply pop off the cover and mirror and unscrew the unit. It will unplug from the back of the lens. The turn signals from the 07-12 Altima are the exact same thing and they sell the part individually. It will not be listed under 09-13 Maxima but here are the part numbers. I went through thick and thin to figure this out.

The part says it is the lens. Is the LED attached to the lens when ordering these part numbers? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by tbpowers
The part says it is the lens. Is the LED attached to the lens when ordering these part numbers? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.
It's the entire signal. you just pop the other one out of your light, plug this one in and reassemble and you will be ready to go.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by tbpowers
Yes these part numbers are the entire led/lens assembly. Like others have said in the thread, it's not a terrible idea to bake apart the new units, clean out the OEM adhesive, and use a good quality silicon sealant to adhere them back together.

Quick Reply: How to change the bulbs in side view mirror turning signal