7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

A/C not working.. WTH??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 01:08 PM

A/C not working.. WTH??

Ohhh man.. 113 degrees, sitting in traffic and the A/C quits.

Shoot me.

Anyone know of any electrical type issues that have shown up on these things? Mine is an 09 and has about 60k on it. Compressor has sounded healthy, and it's been fine but it just stopped working the other day. I left it alone and the next morning it worked for a few seconds, until I killed the car and restarted it. Hasn't worked at all since.

I put gauges on it today and high and low side are perfect, so it's holding freon just fine. I was thinking clutch, but I don't know. I know cars, but A/C isn't at the top of that list if you know what I mean. =)

I noticed that the low pressure switch has a CPU of some sort built into it. At least according to my dad's online Mitchell's software/database it does. I couldn't find the low pressure switch anywhere. I followed the low side all the way to the firewall and didn't see it. Never seen the pressure switch on the high side, but I checked it too..

Anyway -- long story short, is there anything on these Nissans that someone could suggest for me to check? Personally, I think it's either the head/switch unit on the dash, or the low pressure switch/cpu combo thing they have going on... I don't know how one acts if the compressor clutch goes out so I can't say there..

Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by corbryant

Shoot me.

Anyone know of any electrical type issues that have shown up on these things? Mine is an 09 and has about 60k on it. Compressor has sounded healthy, and it's been fine but it just stopped working the other day. I left it alone and the next morning it worked for a few seconds, until I killed the car and restarted it. Hasn't worked at all since.

I put gauges on it today and high and low side are perfect, so it's holding freon just fine. I was thinking clutch, but I don't know. I know cars, but A/C isn't at the top of that list if you know what I mean. =)

I noticed that the low pressure switch has a CPU of some sort built into it. At least according to my dad's online Mitchell's software/database it does. I couldn't find the low pressure switch anywhere. I followed the low side all the way to the firewall and didn't see it. Never seen the pressure switch on the high side, but I checked it too..

Anyway -- long story short, is there anything on these Nissans that someone could suggest for me to check? Personally, I think it's either the head/switch unit on the dash, or the low pressure switch/cpu combo thing they have going on... I don't know how one acts if the compressor clutch goes out so I can't say there..

Any suggestions?
Does it work while running over 40 mph? Are the fans working? Have someone sit in your car while you look under the hood. when they turn on the AC the compressor and fans should kick in. The way you describe it with it running for a short time and then not, I'm thinking it may be your fans..if not, and you are sure the freon level is good (which can really only be checked while the compressor is running) it is pointing more to the expansion valve in my mind. Of course, it can be the temp controller is shot, the heat/ac mixer or a few more insidious things, but validate the others before taking it to a pro.

Once more, with the freon levels checking good on low and high side, i don't think it is your compressor or clutch but I have been surprised before!!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Banned

Same problem here! Morning had AC got in the car a few hours earlier and no AC. fans come in and freon levels are great, just not blowing cold. Any help would be great. I will be taking it to the dealer on 7/6/12, but I want to save my $50 deductible if I can do it myself.

Scott
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM

Might b a stupid answer but did you push the A/C button? Sometimes I forget to push it to turn it on and it blows less cold then it would if turned on. Jus a suggestion....
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Banned

Sorry, that wasn't it. Looks like a new compressor for me. The clutch is not engaging and there is a service bullitan on a noisy clutch. I had a noisy clutch a few weeks ago at start-up, but it went away.

Scott
Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

Just got the call from my favorite Nissan dealer and I need a new AC compressor. Man, this Nissan Warranty Plus is paying for itself now!

Scott

** As of 8/7/2012 there are 76 AC Compressors on backorder with Nissan and are not expected to be shipped until 8/20/12! I think there might be a problem with the compressors. There was also a part number supersession...

Last edited by partsace; 08-07-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 PM

WoW same problem here today. Woke up everything working fine, car sat in sun from 12-5pm and when i got in the car a/c wasn't working. Now time to figure out what the problem is. Car has 70k miles now. Is it covered by nissan? LoL
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned

Got my car back yesterday and ...

AC works great, but I won't need it for another 10 months (Seattle).

The techs put power directly to the AC clutch and it did not engage, so they ordered a new compressor and installed it. It did not take as long as they initially thought to get the compressor from Nissan.

New AC compressor
New DS lower seat assembly
New tilt motor for steering wheel
New Alternator
All of this was out-of-warranty, but paid for with my Nissan Security+Plus Warranty. If someone wants a cheap place to get a Nissan warranty, let me know.

Scott
Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 PM

wait, my AC has been making these loud engagement noises when i crank up the car. this has been happening for awhile now?

nissan knows about it and won't fix it for cars out of warranty? i sure hope mine last for the next few years or bye bye nissan.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
wait, my AC has been making these loud engagement noises when i crank up the car. this has been happening for awhile now?

nissan knows about it and won't fix it for cars out of warranty? i sure hope mine last for the next few years or bye bye nissan.
Mine does that too but what I'm hearing with mine is normal. As they get older, they get a little bit louder when they engage. It shouldn't be crazy loud or anything though. A loud clack-clack sound as soon as you press the A/C button and kick the compressor on. I've noticed that mine also brings the RPMs down a tiny bit for a second if I'm sitting idle at a light or something. That kind of tells me it's not spinning as freely as it did when it was new. Also normal in my honest opinion.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by corbryant

Shoot me.

Any suggestions?
So in the end my issue ended up being the fuggin' Sunload Sensor on the dash! $40 part and $500 in labor to pull half of the dash to get to it. Unreal. They were nice enough to replace both of them while they were in there. It's the round quarter sized things on the dash in the faux speaker grilles facing up at the base of the windshiled. Those things, I'm guessing detect the sun and adjust the climate control accordingly and they also control the headlight's auto on feature. [I think]
Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 PM

Just great, cause my AC went out yesterday, 85k miles,,,,,and about a month ago, seemed like something got louder under the hood? Going in shop tomorrow. Im nervous......and not impressed with the max, as had to replace elec tilt steering, exhaust, its also noisy as hell and also got a bad shake at 70mph.