7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding between 2012 Maxima and 2912 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile Deciding between 2012 Maxima and 2912 Toyota Avalon

I need help trying to decide between a 2012 Maxima (base or premium) and a 2012 Toyota Avalon XLS in Canada.

They are both demo type cars with about less than 1000 kms.

I am leaning towards the Maxima but here are the pros and cons are I see them:

Maxima:

Pros:

1. More sportier looking
2. More powerful motor
3. Larger tires
4. Better sounding stereo system – Ipod better integrated and center display not washed out by sunlight
5. I am able to display info in US or metric on the dash for fuel consumption etc. I live in Canada which uses Metric but I drive to the States also so I appreciate being about to use miles/gallion instead of liters/km for recognizing fuel consumption use.
6. Better handling around corners less body lean.
7. Cheaper to buy used than the Avalon.
8. Premium model has more stuff like powered telescoping steering wheel, heated as well and cooled seats.

Cons:

1. 99 percent of models have black interiors which I do not like much
2. Road noise is a bit more than the Toyota
3. Uses premium gas which is about 12 percent more than regular here. This really bugs me but I heard I can use regular but will it reduce fuel efficiency a lot.
4. Toyota is a bit better on fuel consumption on the highway and uses regular.
5. Not sure if the leather seats are comfortable after a long journey. They seem ok also I always scratch my watch trying to adjust the seat position.
No idea on the Avalon.

6. I read on reviews that most do not like the CVT. Is it really a hindrance when trying to use more power ie in snow or going up mountains?

7. Resale value is lower than Toyotas. If I don’t ever sell my car until it is 10 years old or more does it really matter?

Overall it looks better but carconection rates it slightly lower than the Avalon.

The big ones are the Premium gas usage and CVT. If it used regular and has a 6 or 7 speed automatic it would be no contest.

The Avalon is a very smooth and quiet car though. One of the best in it’s class. That’s the major thing I like about Toyota’s.

I realize this might be a biased forum but at least the members here are very familiar with the pros and cons of their car, so that's the best place to find an honest answer regardless.

Please help as I have to make a decision soon before the 2012’s are gone.

Don in buyers hell
Old 09-02-2012, 11:43 AM

Go with the Maxima. The Avalon is an old mans car.

Originally Posted by Oiler1
I need help trying to decide between a 2012 Maxima (base or premium) and a 2012 Toyota Avalon XLS in Canada.

They are both demo type cars with about less than 1000 kms.

I am leaning towards the Maxima but here are the pros and cons are I see them:

Maxima:

Pros:

1. More sportier looking
2. More powerful motor
3. Larger tires
4. Better sounding stereo system – Ipod better integrated and center display not washed out by sunlight
5. I am able to display info in US or metric on the dash for fuel consumption etc. I live in Canada which uses Metric but I drive to the States also so I appreciate being about to use miles/gallion instead of liters/km for recognizing fuel consumption use.
6. Better handling around corners less body lean.
7. Cheaper to buy used than the Avalon.
8. Premium model has more stuff like powered telescoping steering wheel, heated as well and cooled seats.

Cons:

1. 99 percent of models have black interiors which I do not like much
2. Road noise is a bit more than the Toyota
3. Uses premium gas which is about 12 percent more than regular here. This really bugs me but I heard I can use regular but will it reduce fuel efficiency a lot.
4. Toyota is a bit better on fuel consumption on the highway and uses regular.
5. Not sure if the leather seats are comfortable after a long journey. They seem ok also I always scratch my watch trying to adjust the seat position.
No idea on the Avalon.

6. I read on reviews that most do not like the CVT. Is it really a hindrance when trying to use more power ie in snow or going up mountains?

7. Resale value is lower than Toyotas. If I don’t ever sell my car until it is 10 years old or more does it really matter?

Overall it looks better but carconection rates it slightly lower than the Avalon.

The big ones are the Premium gas usage and CVT. If it used regular and has a 6 or 7 speed automatic it would be no contest.

The Avalon is a very smooth and quiet car though. One of the best in it’s class. That’s the major thing I like about Toyota’s.

I realize this might be a biased forum but at least the members here are very familiar with the pros and cons of their car, so that's the best place to find an honest answer regardless.

Please help as I have to make a decision soon before the 2012’s are gone.

Don in buyers hell
Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 PM

go with the 2912 Avalon. they'll probably be flying by then.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Honestly the Maxima and Avalon really dont compare in terms of drive the Maxima is way sporty and more of a drivers car than the Avalon. I think you'd have more fun with the Maxima
Old 09-02-2012, 12:50 PM

I personally love my CVT. If I ever encounter problems with it, that might be a different story. But right now I love the way it operates.

If your other contender is an Avalon, I assume you don't have many intentions for modifications/upgrades to the engine? I shouldn't assume, but, well...one of the big complaints about the CVT is that it causes issues for people who mod and upgrade and tune their cars. If you don't intend to do that then many of the CVT complaints you read shouldn't concern you.

Premium fuel is recommended, mid-grade is acceptable, but low grade is a no-no. That is what it is.

Go with the maxima. You knew I was going to say that though.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM

I drove both cars and many other and there is really no comparison. If you want to get from point A to point B while having a boring ride with a car that floats go for the Avalon. However, if you want a car that you truly enjoy and can't wait to drive the Maxima is for you.

In reference to your comments:

1. The black interior it will stay cleaner looking than any other color.

2. Road noise is still very low for the Maxima.

3. Resale value does not matter to me as I keep my cars for a least 10 years.

4. Don't go by carconection or any other ratings, you need to drive both cars for more than a few minutes and decide what make you happier.

5. I never had a CVT before, now that I am driving my 2012 Maxima I could not be pleased more, very smoth acceleration and always goes for the best gas mileage. would be no contest.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
go with the 2912 Avalon. they'll probably be flying by then.
agreed, thats 900 years of enhancements they got on the Max
Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Both are great cars but completely different, this is not BMW/MB differences where they have subtle differences but its still the same car, one is a 4 door sports car, the other is a soft large boat ride sedan, you might want to take both for an extended test drive, the thing about the Avalon is it comes off the lot tight and feels pretty good but, soon it hits this gushy sweet spot that might make you realize you don't enjoy the overly soft ride of the car

If you decide on the Avalon wait for the all new 2013 Avalon to cause the prices to drop on a 2012 model, and you should check out the Hyundai Azera
Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I actually like the floaty soft ride of an Avalon. It's just an extended Camry which is what I am used to. My current Camry is a 1997 and they don't build these cars like they used to. Thicker metals, cloth seats that don't burn you, simple controls with a minimal of electronics to go wrong. Boring car but I don;t feel any bumps of the road so it is great for long distance and all weather driving.

I know I cannot get the same car now but I am aiming for the best bet.

Having said this I was thinking of changing up so I can have a more sportier style while still retaining some of the smoothness and comfort of a Camry or Avalon.

Toyota's are boring but reliable. Hinda's and Nissans are the just as reliable or maybe a bit less. It depends on what you read.

The cost here in Canada is about $40K for a Avalon and the same for a Maxima with premium upgrade more or less.

I'd like to get a Maxima as a used or demo is cheaper than the equivalent Avalon. I calculated over 10 years I'd send about $4000 more on the premium gas so it almost balances out. If I get the fully loaded premium Maxima new then it doesn't. Bugs me that I can't use regular gas on the Maxima.

I've looked and test drove about 20 cars and these are the main two I like. Subaru's are ok but more costly here.

Last edited by Oiler1; 09-02-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Very unusual pair of cars under consideration here.

The Avalon has always been the quintessential 'affordable foreign-made Buick' for freeway cruising by the elderly set. It is a solid car, rides very comfortably, and is very reliable. It does not, however, like to be driven in a spirited manner. Fortunately, the average Avalon owner has no interest in driving in a 'spirited manner.' Once I reach the age and physical condition where I feel the need to slow down, relax and drive very carefully, the Avalon will be one of the first cars I will look at.

The Maxima has always been the 'affordable, spirited, agressively-styled 4DSC (four door sports car)', much in favor with the younger set. It accelerates, turns, and evades better than the Avalon, and pays for its better handling with a slightly firmer ride than the Avalon. Maxima owners are more likely to be interested in mods, car shows, etc, in which Avalon owners have zero interest.

The Maxima comes with what I consider to be the tranny of the future - the CVT. It took a little getting used to, but now I love my CVT. Premium gas is not required. I have used MIDGRADE (89 octane) gas in my Maximas for 28 years with no change in performance or MPG. I would NEVER put regular in my Maxima.

Maximas are considered to be very stylish by many folks, while Avalons are noted for their understated styling (some call it blandness). Some folks like to be noticed (Maxima), while others prefer to travel beneath the radar (Avalon). If I robbed banks, I would drive an Avalon and never be noticed.

Looking ahead, the Maxima design will stay the same until around spring of 2014, when a total redesign (generation 8) will be released as the 2015 Maxima. The Avalon is being replaced by a totally redesigned 2013 this fall. The 2013 Avalon is considered by most to be a much more attractive design than the 2012, and comes with a more sporty chassi. It also comes with a slightly heftier price.

In case it helps to know where I am coming from, I became eligible for Medicare in the second millenium (1900s). I am still planning on purchasing a 2015 Maxima in 2014. That might be my last Maxima, and I may change to an Avalon for the stretch between age 90 and age 100. Time does take its toll.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 AM

Maxima vs. Avalaon

You may also want to look at the year end rebates. In the USA Nissan is offering $4,000 off 2012 Nissan Maxima's which expires tomorrow. With that and the dealer discount I got my Maxima for $8,000 of list. Not sure about reabtes in Canada.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:04 AM

Did this person just compare a Maxima to a Avalon...Need I say more?

and a 2912 Avalon? What's those look like? Do they have wings and does it go in the water..does it turn into a transformer? Please show pictures!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Very unusual pair of cars under consideration here.

The Avalon has always been the quintessential 'affordable foreign-made Buick' for freeway cruising by the elderly set. It is a solid car, rides very comfortably, and is very reliable. It does not, however, like to be driven in a spirited manner. Fortunately, the average Avalon owner has no interest in driving in a 'spirited manner.' Once I reach the age and physical condition where I feel the need to slow down, relax and drive very carefully, the Avalon will be one of the first cars I will look at.

The Maxima has always been the 'affordable, spirited, agressively-styled 4DSC (four door sports car)', much in favor with the younger set. It accelerates, turns, and evades better than the Avalon, and pays for its better handling with a slightly firmer ride than the Avalon. Maxima owners are more likely to be interested in mods, car shows, etc, in which Avalon owners have zero interest.

The Maxima comes with what I consider to be the tranny of the future - the CVT. It took a little getting used to, but now I love my CVT. Premium gas is not required. I have used MIDGRADE (89 octane) gas in my Maximas for 28 years with no change in performance or MPG. I would NEVER put regular in my Maxima.

Maximas are considered to be very stylish by many folks, while Avalons are noted for their understated styling (some call it blandness). Some folks like to be noticed (Maxima), while others prefer to travel beneath the radar (Avalon). If I robbed banks, I would drive an Avalon and never be noticed.

Looking ahead, the Maxima design will stay the same until around spring of 2014, when a total redesign (generation 8) will be released as the 2015 Maxima. The Avalon is being replaced by a totally redesigned 2013 this fall. The 2013 Avalon is considered by most to be a much more attractive design than the 2012, and comes with a more sporty chassi. It also comes with a slightly heftier price.

In case it helps to know where I am coming from, I became eligible for Medicare in the second millenium (1900s). I am still planning on purchasing a 2015 Maxima in 2014. That might be my last Maxima, and I may change to an Avalon for the stretch between age 90 and age 100. Time does take its toll.
Thanks for the post. I am an older guy near 55. I don't like overly stiff suspensions.

The reason I am trying to decide on these two cars is that they are available locally and in my price range. Now, along with a Subaru Legacy Limited, these cars seem like the best quality and bang for the buck.

I didn't realize there were so many differences as they are all V6 engines and upper class in the normal lines of Nissan, Toyota and Subaru.

My choice $32K 2012 used base Maxima at 7400 mi, A 2012 Avalon XLS demo 400 mi for $38K or a 2012 loaded Maxima 1000 mi at $38K.

I saw a 2011 Subaru Legacy for about $32K too.

It's still a tough choice as I like them all though I don't like the AWD gas robbing Subaru.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Oiler1

Thanks for the post. I am an older guy near 55. I don't like overly stiff suspensions.

The reason I am trying to decide on these two cars is that they are available locally and in my price range. Now, along with a Subaru Legacy Limited, these cars seem like the best quality and bang for the buck.

I didn't realize there were so many differences as they are all V6 engines and upper class in the normal lines of Nissan, Toyota and Subaru.

My choice $32K 2012 used base Maxima at 7400 mi, A 2012 Avalon XLS demo 400 mi for $38K or a 2012 loaded Maxima 1000 mi at $38K.

I saw a 2011 Subaru Legacy for about $32K too.

It's still a tough choice as I like them all though I don't like the AWD gas robbing Subaru.

I think you'd actually enjoy the suspension of the premium package Maxima. I'm assuming that's the model when you say fully loaded. I think the Maxima is hands down the best bang for your buck in that class.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by PSU09MAXIMA
I think you'd actually enjoy the suspension of the premium package Maxima. I'm assuming that's the model when you say fully loaded. I think the Maxima is hands down the best bang for your buck in that class.
I agree. My 2009 Maxima does not ride as firmly as my previous six Maximas. I especially think the ride is fine if you cary the recommended 33 psi in the tires. I found 33 psi a little soft and mooshy, so carry 36 psi front and 35 psi rear.

BUT - Always drive the cars before committing to anything, paying close attention to the ride. Check the psi in the tires to be sure they are at 33 (any vaiation changes the 'ride'). And should you come upon a Maxima with the Sport package, turn and walk away. The Sport package has a firmer chassi than all other Maxima packages. Stick to the Base, 'SV' or Premium versions.

Prices surely are high in Canada. Sutherlin Nissan in Atlanta had a new 2012 Maxima (VIN 812437) advertised in this past weekend's Atlanta newspaper for $22,985. But most new base 2012s around Atlanta are advertised for around $23,900 to $25,900.

My loaded new 2009 with Premium and Tech had an MSRP right at $40,000, but I paid only $34,600 when I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. Of course that took a little 'negotiating.' Nobody pays anything near MSRP in the U.S., but I understand things are not as easy in Canada.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 PM

Go with the loaded maxima. Dealers have gone down from 40 to the 35s with rebates... The time is right. I have the limited edition, and i regret not getting the nav. As far as the comparison. Test drive and decide..
Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mario66
Go with the Maxima. The Avalon is an old mans car.
This...

Every person i've seen driving a fairly new Avalon is an old guy. I do contract work at a body shop, and there's at least two Avalon's a week that come in cause they hit a parked car or backed into or sideswiped something. I'd much rather have a new Maxima over an Avalon any day.

If you want a comfortable A to B car without spending too much, I'd rather spend less money and buy the new redesigned Altima over an Avalon, or Accord or Camry.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM

I 65 and have a 2010 Max. First car ( since a 1970 Porsche 914 ) I've had that on a long trip was not tiring to drive, I recently drove from the Tampa area to Atlanta, a trip I've made lots of times since 2000, the 2010 was the best, the 96 max and the 2002 max were similar and I though both were very good on long trips, but the 2010 was noticeably better. As to the CVT, it makes my drive to work on US 19 tolerable, the paddle shifters make downshifting just a flick of the wrist. Makes driving fun again! No comparison on the looks the Max has a great sport look.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Turning 52 soon. If you want cushy ride with no road feel, go for the Avalon. Very good car. My brother-in-law had a 2000 and put like 250,000 miles on it and it still road smooth as heck. Now if you like a driver;s car and still want relative comfort than go for the Maxima. Personally at 52 I still want sporty. Maybe in another 10 years or so, I'll want the Avalon too?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What exactly is a driver's car? I reckon it is one you can modify and has the sports performance of great handling and road feel?

Since I just drive around town at no more than 40 mph and mostly 30-35 mph, I am not sure what a great driving car would do for me.

I go on a long trip maybe once or twice a year so a cruiser that is smooth and comfortable would be great in that case but 90% of my driving is in city.

Tough to balance out sportiness with comfort as they seem mutually exclusive.

I guess I am used to the cushy ride from my old Camry. Trying something new may make me have buyer's remorse or I could be pleasantly surprised.

Darn I wish I could buy in the U.S but I think I have to pay a lot of import fees (It think). Why are cars so much cheaper in America than Canada?

New Maxima's list for $42000 which I assume no one pays. I think with Employee pricing in the spring we got $6000 off the MSRP but still have to add 5% GST and provincial tax to get the final all in price.

A 2012 new Camry XLE V6 MSRP is $36K. I think the Camry materials are cheaper than the Max.

Last edited by Oiler1; 09-03-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 AM

Oiler1 - With your type driving situation, I have the feeling you would be happy with either of the cars you are looking at. They are certainly both fine, upscale vehicles. The 2012 Avalon is fairly plain looking, but it doesn't look bad, and you won't be seeing a hundred of them in every mall parking lot like you would Camrys and Accords and Altimas.

If I were you, I would test drive the Maxima and make a decision as to whether the ride is comfortable for you. If it is, I would take the Maxima. If the ride is firmer than you like, take the Avalon.

Two other considerations:

Dealer location. Any vehicle sometimes needs a dealer's attention, and it is nice if your nearest dealer is not too far away.

Places you drive (especially driveway entrances). The Maxima is a sporty vehicle with a small ground clearance (4 1/2 inches). It scrapes on some speed bumps, and the front bumper does not clear some parking bumpers. The 2012 Avalon is meant for less-sporty driving, and should clear 5 1/2 to 6 inches.

Again, the Maxima is a sporty, aggressively-styled vehicle that will be noticed, while the Avalon is a secure, plush vehicle that generally goes unnoticed. Those factors may be of no interest to you, but I mention them just in case.