7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Iphone5-Lightening to 30 Pin Adapter-2009 Maxima

Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by deconomist
I tried this 30-pin to 8-pin adapter and had no luck (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...n-adapter-02-m). Are you suggesting only this one will work? (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=3a)

Also, the iPod cable in the 2009 Maxima never charged my iPhone -- even when I had a 4/4S which had the 30-pin connection.
My iPhones had the same problem and they will NOT charge until I purchased a Scosche IFWA passPORT Charging Adapter. The adapter switches the power wires so you can charge your devise.

Scott
Old 01-13-2015, 04:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by partsace
My iPhones had the same problem and they will NOT charge until I purchased a Scosche IFWA passPORT Charging Adapter. The adapter switches the power wires so you can charge your devise.

Scott
Tried the 30 pin to lightning adapter without the extension, and it worked. Only issue is the lightning adapter is too short to work with my case, so I ordered an extension cable from eBay.

Is the Scosche passPORT the best charting adapter? Amazon had mixed reviews.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by deconomist
Is the Scosche passPORT the best charting adapter? Amazon had mixed reviews.
I have not read or seen any other charging port for Apple products that work. Personally, I've been through three of them because I'm a cheap guy and I buy them used for $10. I've also purchased one of those from China and it lasted a month. If you come across a different brand, let me know and I'll test it for you.

Personally, someone should come out with a 30-pin to lightning adapter that does the same thing as the passPORT that also has a 6-inch pigtail so people can plug them in without having to remove their case. But that's just wishful thinking.

Scott
Old 01-30-2015, 04:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by partsace
I have not read or seen any other charging port for Apple products that work. Personally, I've been through three of them because I'm a cheap guy and I buy them used for $10. I've also purchased one of those from China and it lasted a month. If you come across a different brand, let me know and I'll test it for you.

Personally, someone should come out with a 30-pin to lightning adapter that does the same thing as the passPORT that also has a 6-inch pigtail so people can plug them in without having to remove their case. But that's just wishful thinking.

Scott
Received all of the pieces from eBay and tested it out briefly last night. Addition of the Scosche passPORT seems to do the charging trick. I agree 100% that the whole contraption is cumbersome, but the lightning extension does a good job of hiding everything.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:44 AM

****UPDATE****
I went through two of these stupid things in like 3 months. They are total junk and stop working super quick. I'd recommend not going with this module.

I did figure out a different way to do it though.

Here's a link

***END UPDATE***

FINALLY solved this issue. I haven't been able to play music from my nissan apple port since upgrading to my iPhone 5 a few years back. I now have an iPhone 6 and it wasn't playing music through the nissan plug (with the 30-pin power adapter and the 30 pin to lightning adapter both plugged in) either. Someone said something about frying the iPod module that runs the nissan iPod socket, which might have happened since I tried a bunch of different cable and bluetooth options from china. I didn't want to shell out the $99-350 for a new one, so I went searching for other solutions.

I found this:

Bluetooth 4.0 receiver Bluetooth 4.0 receiver

It's bluetooth 4.0, so it sounds amazing. Better than any of the other cables I've used.

I plugged it into the RCA plugs in my center console via
this adapter this adapter

It sounds great and works well, it even has two usb ports in the included plug, one for the bluetooth receiver, and one for a iPhone lightning cable if you want to charge your phone too.

HOWEVER... the cig plug in the console is an always-on outlet, which means that when you turn off your car and get out, the receiver stays powered on for like 15 minutes, and then shuts itself off. Then when you get back into your car, you have to open up your center console and turn the receiver back on and then go into your bluetooth settings on your phone and re-pair the connection.

NOT A GOOD SOLUTION.

So... I tried plugging the receiver into the outlet in the little box between the cup holders and the flip open center console. This outlet shuts off when you turn off your car. Since the receiver doesn't go to sleep when you turn off your car, it doesn't need to be woken up and pairs automatically when you start up your car again. So now, I jump in my car, start it up, hit play on my iPhone, and it starts up crisp and clear music right away without having to mess with pairing or anything else.

HOWEVER... this meant leaving the little door open on that small box, and running the power cable from it into the flip up center console so that it could be plugged into the RCA outlets. I'm a freak about clutter, so having the door open and and a cable running between the two was driving me crazy.

SO... I pulled out my center console and flipped the two cig outlets so that the always on one is in the little box and the one that turns on and off with the car is in the big center console. It took about 30 min to do, and didn't cost me anything. I did have to splice one of the outlets because the cable wasn't long enough to reach the new location. I had some 16 gauge wire left over from another project that I used, which matched the wire that nissan used in the original outlets.

Now the bluetooth receiver lives in the center console and functions exactly the way I want it to. It pairs to my phone automatically when I turn on my car, and shuts down when I turn it off. It sounds great, and it doesn't interfere with the bluetooth calling link to the car (when a phone call comes in, it still goes directly to the car and can be answered with the steering wheel controls).

I'm super happy with this solution.

I'll put together a quick writeup about what I did to swap the cig outlets soon.

Last edited by JakeOfAllTrades; 07-13-2015 at 09:43 AM.