7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking break question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Parking break question

Hi guys!

I have a 2012 Maxima S Limited and I want to know if i have caused damage to my parking break. Without knowing any better, I have been disengaged the parking break without pressing the break pedal first. Is this bad?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:38 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

http://www.beedictionary.com/common-...brake_vs_break
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Hi guys!
Hi.

I have a 2012 Maxima S Limited and I want to know if i have caused damage to my parking break.
Yes, most likely your parking is now broken.

Without knowing any better, I have been disengaged the parking break without pressing the break pedal first.
Actually, this is the best thing to do. Do not press the break pedal, everything will break when you become disengaged from taking a parking break.

Is this bad?
Yes.

Did you mean.. BRAKE?

If you mean, BRAKE, then there is no problem with disengaging the parking brake with out pressing on the brakes. The parking brake is there to prevent your car from moving around the parking lot after you park the car, and some people like to use it to prevent that CLUNK sound when they release the parking prawl and drive.

Last edited by Akiyukio; 11-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
Hi.

Yes, most likely your parking is now broken.

Actually, this is the best thing to do. Do not press the break pedal, everything will break when you become disengaged from taking a parking break.

Yes.

Did you mean.. BRAKE?

If you mean, BRAKE, then there is no problem with disengaging the parking brake with out pressing on the brakes. The parking brake is there to prevent your car from moving around the parking lot after you park the car, and some people like to use it to prevent that CLUNK sound when they release the parking prawl and drive.

Does it matter how many "clicks" you do (pushing parking brake down) to engage the parking brake? Is it applied either way?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by ej2zo
Does it matter how many "clicks" you do (pushing parking brake down) to engage the parking brake? Is it applied either way?
It makes no difference whether or not you are pressing on the brake pedal when you press on the parking brake. But if you are on a slope, I would think you would have you foot on the brake in order to keep the car from rolling until you get the parkling brake applied.

As to the number of clicks, you don't go by the number of clicks, but by the pressure you are feeling under your foot.

You can experiment by taking your car to a sloped area where there is no traffic around and playing with your parking brake pedal until you know how much pressure is needed to keep the car from rolling at various steepnesses of slope.

If I am parking on flat ground, I don't press very hard, but if I am parking on a steep slope, I usually press the parking brake pedal rather strongly. If the car still moves when you lift your foot off the regular brakes, then you haven't pushed the parking brake pedal quite far enough.