7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

7th Gen Sound System...sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

7th Gen Sound System...sucks?

Hey I've had several new cars different manufacturers and it seems like most all of them have had better sounding systems than my new seventh gen Maxima. How do you all feel about it ...do you like the 7G sound??
Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by digitaldoofus
Hey I've had several new cars different manufacturers and it seems like most all of them have had better sounding systems than my new seventh gen Maxima. How do you all feel about it ...do you like the 7G sound??
I think the Bose system in the 7th gen is a fantastic sounding stock stereo system. If you are looking for window rattling boom then you need to consider going with an aftermarket setup. I've been down that road enough in the past and dont need or want that anymore.

There may be a different stereo that comes in the non SV versions of the Max though so I cant speak for that one.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM

Not the audiophile I was before getting fried with microwaves nuked my right ear, but I have no problem getting the volume adjusted enough I can make out my big bands bright brass and deep base. Just a bit of an issue with audiobooks...seems I have to turn the volume way up to hear them well, but that may be years of not listening to my bride
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM

Non SV Max's have an 8 speaker sound system and I believe (don't shoot if I'm wrong) the SV's have a 9 speaker sound system with the one additional speaker being a subwoofer. I have the 8 speaker system and as far as stock sound systems go, it is pretty good. I can definitely jam out and not be left wanting more out of the stock radio. I'm sure the sub makes a difference but like mentioned above, for a truly bad azz system you need to go aftermarket.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^ I have to agree. Before I bought my car, I was already anticipating making the trip to Jersey to see Don (Pearl96max) and getting an aftermarket system. But I am pretty happy with the stock system and think I will stick with it to keep the stock look.

I just need to find a better way to hook up my Ipod. Using the 3.5mm AUX input isnt ideal. I've heard the USA-spec ipod adapter is a good way to go.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 PM

I have the bose system and I think it sounds really good for factory stereo. If I want to upgrade it I probably just add a sub to get more bass.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM

As far as I know up to 2011 The SV;s have the Bose system The S does not in the U.S. But here in Canada they only sell the Maxima SV with 2 different option packages!! Up here in the cold part of the world they only sell 20,000 Maxima's per year so we are restricted to what we can get!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM

funny you say that, I'm an audiophile and only thing i found lacking was bass. everything else sounds great
Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 PM

Just add a small sub. You will be completely content with the system. That's what I did
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM

Ok here's my two cents on the subject. Had a 92 Maxima SE and that car had the Bose System in it and loved it. That stereo was awesome. Bought a 03 Maxima with the Bose system and was like what did they do to these stereos. Would crank the volume and would never get louder.
Fast forward to 2012 SV and this Bose system brings back the good memories of the first Max I bought. I think it is again a great factory system.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 PM

It can get very loud without distortion. But to me it lacks detail and the low end is terrible. Low bass notes are missing so some songs don't sound like they should. When I had an aftermarket system in my last car, the vocals were soo detailed that you could hear the raspy-ness of a persons' voice. I don't get that affect with the Bose.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:32 PM

It is great till about 1/2 volume. Then it goes down hill fast.
Everything gets muddy, especially the low end.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM

I am not an audiophile but I do like my music and am very happy with the stocker in my 12 SV. It keeps me well entertained on my ride to and from work.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
I am not an audiophile but I do like my music and am very happy with the stocker in my 12 SV. It keeps me well entertained on my ride to and from work.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm the OP, and just to clarify... I don't think this '12 sound system has the separation and depth (and clarity of bass) as the systems in my other cars (including the Bose system in my '02 DeVille that I traded in for the Max). Of course, no doubt the acoustics were better in the DeVille, and it had several preconfigured "modes" such as ambient, spaciousness, etc. that are not programmed into the Max's Bose system. And the 325ic I had before the Caddy had a terrific stock Blaupunkt system that sounded better as well -- inside a cloth-topper! The other cars I owned were Detroit metal, including Pontiac Trans Ams (with only 5 speakers) and a 6000STE that also had better sound. Hey, it's not that I'm saying the Max has BAD sound...it just doesn't wow me as much as my previous rides' sound systems. I would rate the SV Max's sound only "adequate" -- it's not likely to impress anyone, IMO.

Last edited by digitaldoofus; 11-28-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Car Addict
It can get very loud without distortion. But to me it lacks detail and the low end is terrible. Low bass notes are missing so some songs don't sound like they should. When I had an aftermarket system in my last car, the vocals were soo detailed that you could hear the raspy-ness of a persons' voice. I don't get that affect with the Bose.
You've got the same "ear" for this Max Bose system as me!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:07 PM

for me ive found bose to not cover the highs... Its best for low pitched songs but doesnt cover the highs and vocals well. Ive found bose to be best for low pitched orchestral type music it shines there but nobody listens to that.. especially if your getting a sportish car.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM

I love the Bose system in the Maxima
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM

The stock 9 speaker BOSE system is great, actually awesome. Those two stock subwoofers are lacking base however, so I bought my self an aftermarket JBL subwoofer along with JBL amplifier. Now, my car can almost break windows.. I'll take a pic of my setup and post it here within few hours
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM

I've got the Bose system, and I do like it. I told myself I'd just leave it stock since I've listened to plenty of aftermarket setups that sucked. Sometime people just try to add power and put no thought into balancing the sound.

However, a few months have passed and I'm ready to add a small sub. It needs it. The mids and highs are clear and balanced, but the bass is just a hair below satisfactory in my opinion. Maybe it's the music that I've been into lately, but something's just missing from the bottom. I think it's because there isn't a true sub that's part of the Bose system.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Serpent
I've got the Bose system, and I do like it. I told myself I'd just leave it stock since I've listened to plenty of aftermarket setups that sucked. Sometime people just try to add power and put no thought into balancing the sound.

However, a few months have passed and I'm ready to add a small sub. It needs it. The mids and highs are clear and balanced, but the bass is just a hair below satisfactory in my opinion. Maybe it's the music that I've been into lately, but something's just missing from the bottom. I think it's because there isn't a true sub that's part of the Bose system.
Yup, thats why I got a sub, I only tuned it to 20% of its actual power, I don't need window smashing base, I just need a good setup
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM

yea i tossed in a single 12 and keep the gain low and it evened out the low end nicely
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM

I've wondered if I should get a 10 or a 12. And if I want clean sound, I should use a sealed box, right? I've never built up a system, so I don't know a lot about it. But if I could get a single, clean-sounding sub, with a volume switch that controls the amount of output from that sub, I'd be stoked.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 PM

I've wondered if I should get a 10 or a 12. And if I want clean sound, I should use a sealed box, right? I've never built up a system, so I don't know a lot about it. But if I could get a single, clean-sounding sub, with a volume switch that controls the amount of output from that sub, I'd be stoked.
Yes, I've done few tests on my Sub, make sure it is SEALED, if you make a hole (even if its 1inch hole) you'll lose the quality. Get a 12" Sub, sealed with a 80x40x50 cm (Length x Height x Depth). I'm at office, I'll go down, snap some shots of mine and get back here.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by Rafik Jabbour
Yes, I've done few tests on my Sub, make sure it is SEALED, if you make a hole (even if its 1inch hole) you'll lose the quality. Get a 12" Sub, sealed with a 80x40x50 cm (Length x Height x Depth). I'm at office, I'll go down, snap some shots of mine and get back here.
Enclosure size is dependent on the sub you use. There is no one size fits all unless you don't want it to sound how it's supposed to.

Sub size has nothing to do with sound quality. Large subs can sound sloppy and so can a small sub. A larger sub just pushes more air meaning more output.

Putting a hole in a sub box is not the proper way to make it ported. The size and area of the port should be tuned to the specs of the sub.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM

Enclosure size is dependent on the sub you use. There is no one size fits all unless you don't want it to sound how it's supposed to.

Sub size has nothing to do with sound quality. Large subs can sound sloppy and so can a small sub. A larger sub just pushes more air meaning more output.

Putting a hole in a sub box is not the proper way to make it ported. The size and area of the port should be tuned to the specs of the sub.
True that, that's why I said the best outcome is to have about that size box with 12" sub. I'll post few pics in moments of my setup.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Alright there we go,

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  112.3 KB
Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  94.6 KB

And that's when I drilled the box testing if it was going to be better... when it wasn't at all. So I glued it back.

Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  118.1 KB
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM

Right on man! I'm jealous because I want something like that installed. Gotta say, that's a little bigger than I thought though. Takes up a lot of trunk space.

So, is the output power the only thing that changes with a 10" vs a 12"? Is a larger sub supplying more gain at lower frequencies, or is the frequency range pretty similar and the 12" can just be turned up louder?

If the 12" isn't reaching any lower/deeper than a 10" would, I'm betting that a 10" would be sufficient for my needs. Anyone here have a 10 installed that could weigh in? Do you regret not going for a 12?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 PM

The deep clear tone, from my experience, comes from the sealed box. When I drilled it, it scattered away.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Right on man! I'm jealous because I want something like that installed. Gotta say, that's a little bigger than I thought though. Takes up a lot of trunk space.

So, is the output power the only thing that changes with a 10" vs a 12"? Is a larger sub supplying more gain at lower frequencies, or is the frequency range pretty similar and the 12" can just be turned up louder?

If the 12" isn't reaching any lower/deeper than a 10" would, I'm betting that a 10" would be sufficient for my needs. Anyone here have a 10 installed that could weigh in? Do you regret not going for a 12?
A 10" can get just as low as a 12". A bigger sub just equals louder bass with the same amount of power. The most important factor with getting the sound you want is the type of sub to buy. Also, when you buy a sub, in the manual, it will tell you to use a range of enclosure sizes. For example, a 10" might say to use .75 cu. ft3 to 1 cu. ft3. If you go with the largest size enclosure it will yield a deeper spacious sound and if you use the smallest size you would get a punchier type bass.

A 10" sub getting about 300-500 watts rms should be plenty for the average person.

Last edited by Car Addict; 11-28-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Rafik Jabbour
The deep clear tone, from my experience, comes from the sealed box. When I drilled it, it scattered away.
I'd love to hear your setup!!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 AM

I've got the non-bose, 8 speaker setup. I have to say, I actually think it's pretty well balanced although a bit more base in the lows would be nicer. Don't really need anything earth shattering (I play more rock in my car anyway).

That said, I've been bitten by that bug again and have been looking into some aftermarket headers and sounds. A friend of mine just installed the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH and it seems to be a great unit. I saw the install of that Infinity Baselink II and I'm thinking a similar setup might be fine for my needs. I like that not too much trunk space was sacrificed either. Meh... itch itch... scratch scratch =)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The more I think about it the more I believe sound systems are like women: to some people a certain woman seems like a goddess while to another she might seem to be a dog. Some men think women with small **** are perfect while others think only massive melons will do the trick. You get the idea. To each his own, I guess!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by digitaldoofus
The more I think about it the more I believe sound systems are like women: to some people a certain woman seems like a goddess while to another she might seem to be a dog. Some men think women with small **** are perfect while others think only massive melons will do the trick. You get the idea. To each his own, I guess!
lol. pretty much
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM

what some of you may not be used to is how Boss has the "bright center front stage" with its audio. most of the highs/mids come from the front of the car while most of the lows from the rear. this is why when you add a sub the people in the rear cant hear a damn thing except BOOM BOOOM BOOOOOOM. if you replace your rear stock "subs" with normal speakers it really brings out the clarity for the rear passengers, but in the front i feel like its always been good
Old 11-30-2012, 04:42 AM

I had a 12 elantra limited with "premium" sound which was terrible (i have a 120 mile commute, so i thought i needed a gas saver... Traded it after 9 months) i upgraded the system with speakers and 2 x10s. Even after the upgrade, i think the base system in the Maxima S has better sound quality where you can hear clear sounds midrange. It lacks bass, but the terrible system I had before makes this one shine. I still saved my subs, and I plan to install them in the max soon. Bottom line, We get a decent stock system in the S.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 AM

Yep, system is great with high-mid tones, just lacks the base. Throw a sub in the trunk and you're all good!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 AM

What i did to get the most out the sound is change the rear & front balance. Turned two dots towards the rear. and turned the treble 3 dots higher... well i got two JL subs in the trunk so i turned the bass off on the stock radio and use the amp remote for the bass.. and ur all good
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mikky
Turned two dots towards the rear.
First thing I did when I bought the car.

Second thing was ... roll down windows, crank volume, and blast "All I do is Win" as I slowly rolled off the dealer's lot.

You may proceed with the "hardo" comments and at this time
Old 11-30-2012, 02:51 PM

!!!!!!
A 10" can get just as low as a 12". A bigger sub just equals louder bass with the same amount of power. The most important factor with getting the sound you want is the type of sub to buy. Also, when you buy a sub, in the manual, it will tell you to use a range of enclosure sizes. For example, a 10" might say to use .75 cu. ft3 to 1 cu. ft3. If you go with the largest size enclosure it will yield a deeper spacious sound and if you use the smallest size you would get a punchier type bass.

A 10" sub getting about 300-500 watts rms should be plenty for the average person.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen Sound System...sucks?