7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered a stillen CAI for my 2012 maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just ordered a stillen CAI for my 2012 maxima

i have the limited edition maxima s and i was wondering if this was a good choice for my car. Also, should i order a better air filter for the CAI? im kind of new with this stuff
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM

All of the intakes available for purchase are short-ram intakes, not cold-air intakes. That aside...they're all going to do just fine and get you pretty much the same result. The only concern with the stillen is that for some people it set off the check engine light. If that doesn't happen for you, you should be fine.

How you liking your car?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Serpent
All of the intakes available for purchase are short-ram intakes, not cold-air intakes. That aside...they're all going to do just fine and get you pretty much the same result. The only concern with the stillen is that for some people it set off the check engine light. If that doesn't happen for you, you should be fine.

How you liking your car?
im loving my car i got black on black so it looks sweet im just trying to figure out whats the best break caliper covers to get. so do you think i should send back the intake if it isn't worth it?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dizzo21
im loving my car i got black on black so it looks sweet im just trying to figure out whats the best break caliper covers to get. so do you think i should send back the intake if it isn't worth it?
no... keep the intake you will notice a difference..and dont get caliper covers....waiti till you can get the 370z Big brake kit.or just paint them black(or whatever color you like).. caliper covers are a waste of money and look sort of tacky...(to me and some others)
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM

Black on black is sweeeet. Good for you. No need to send it back--it's not like any other intake will give you much more in terms of performance. They're pretty similar. As long as you can still return it in the case that it DOES set off your cel, I wouldn't think too much about it. If you second guess things too long, you'll find 100 people here telling you different opinions. It'll be fine.

If you reaaalllyy want to do your intake right, you'll have to build it custom. A few people here have done it (I'm not one of 'em) and ended up with results they really have been happy with.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Serpent
Black on black is sweeeet. Good for you. No need to send it back--it's not like any other intake will give you much more in terms of performance. They're pretty similar. As long as you can still return it in the case that it DOES set off your cel, I wouldn't think too much about it. If you second guess things too long, you'll find 100 people here telling you different opinions. It'll be fine.

If you reaaalllyy want to do your intake right, you'll have to build it custom. A few people here have done it (I'm not one of 'em) and ended up with results they really have been happy with.
alright thanks, does anyone know of any other good bolt on mods besides y pipe and exhaust?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 PM

That answer is in these forums dozens of times over. I'd suggest spending a while and just reading through the history here. Tons to learn.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 PM

^ agreed. everyone new asks this same question. you can search the forums and find your answers
Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 PM

Good choice, I also have the black on black lim ed. In my humble opinion, the stillen housing is the best looking intake which looks almost OEM, I would give it a try and maybe change to an AEM dry filter. They use a K&N filter element which is top quality. The only concern with this setup is that people have lost Air flow sensors because of improper use of the oil to clean the filter (every 50k miles). And like Serpent said, the Stillen has thrown check engine lights for some folks. Enjoy the intake, the sound will be amazing!
Cxj spacers and racingline y pipe could be next on your to do list. If you have a deep pocket go for the Aam exhaust
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Dizzo21
alright thanks, does anyone know of any other good bolt on mods besides y pipe and exhaust?
Seriously? Use the search feature. Like everyone is saying, these questions have been literally asked 100's of times. The info is there. Look for it.

I really wish this site stuck with the 15 post rule.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 PM

They should put different categories like...
Intake posts
Exhaust posts
Interior posts
Exterior posts...etc

So whoever wants onlh 7th gen intake info they go there.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 AM

my7thgen.org is organized like that ^
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 PM

Lol I understand it pisses some of you guys off that the newbies don't bother to "search" but damn, some of y'all act like if they ruined your whole day! Jeez... Smh
Old 12-28-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by MIA_SHIFT
Lol I understand it pisses some of you guys off that the newbies don't bother to "search" but damn, some of y'all act like if they ruined your whole day! Jeez... Smh
lol my day was ruined!

some topics, like intakes, have been beaten into the freakin' ground man. a quick search of the word "intake" gives you endless material to read...pointless to re-post an already asked question. people act like they're being dismissed when really they're being directed to the answer..
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 PM

Problem is, I wrote back multiple times trying to help. I was giving as much help as I could in the beginning. After a certain point though, the time I spend answering questions over and over is unfair to me. Some people need to invest their time into searching instead of asking me to spend my time--again--answering super general questions.

Besides, were we too harsh with how we said that people need to search first, THEN ask? I don't think so.