7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

clear coat paint issue on spoiler 2010 SV Premium

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM

clear coat paint issue on spoiler 2010 SV Premium

I just noticed that the clear coat is already starting to peel on my spoiler... do you know if the factory warranty will fix it?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by smokin5s
I just noticed that the clear coat is already starting to peel on my spoiler... do you know if the factory warranty will fix it?
You have an SV with Premium package. The Premium package does not come with a spoiler. Only the Sport package comes with a spoiler. This was either a special order car, or, far more likely, had the spoiler bought, painted, and added by either a dealer or an earlier car owner.

Unless this was a special-ordered car from the factory, Nissan has no responsibility for this peeling. If a dealer added the spoiler, he certainly has a moral responsibility, and possibly a legally pursuable responsibility. But every dealer will see this differently . . .
Old 03-02-2013, 05:22 PM

so... how would I know if it came from the factory or not, I do not have the window sticker.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
You have an SV with Premium package. The Premium package does not come with a spoiler. Only the Sport package comes with a spoiler. This was either a special order car, or, far more likely, had the spoiler bought, painted, and added by either a dealer or an earlier car owner.

Unless this was a special-ordered car from the factory, Nissan has no responsibility for this peeling. If a dealer added the spoiler, he certainly has a moral responsibility, and possibly a legally pursuable responsibility. But every dealer will see this differently . . .
My 2010 has a factory installed spoiler and the premium package. It is listed on the sticker as such but not sure if that means it was special ordered. However, I do feel if it was factory installed and under the bumper to bumper warranty, the dealer should help. Good luck
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Most dealerships, regardless of make, can order a replacement window sticker. However, this usually has to be done within the first 3 years of the vehicle being produced.

If it is not covered under warranty, check with a local shop as they should be able to sand and clear your spoiler for a reasonable price.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 AM

2011 SV Premium and came with trunk spoiler. It came to the dealership that way. It was still in the back from being received when I got it.

How long have you had the car yourself, and are you the only owner? If you are and it has been within at least 18-24 months, I would definitely take it back to them. If they do most of your maintenance and know/remember you, you shouldn't have too hard of a time getting to a resolution.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM

atlanta10 - Yes, if your Maxima with Premium package has a spoiler that was installed at the factory, it was special-ordered by the dealer. The Nissan site lists exactly what is standard on each version of the Maxima.

Interesting to see that some dealers are special ordering Maximas with the Premium Package AND a spoiler. That probably is based on the demographics of the area in which the dealer is located. The Spoiler is standard ONLY with the Sports package, and the Sports package and the Premium package are mutually exclusive (can't have both).

So far, the only Maximas at my dealer's two lots with both Premium package and spoiler had the spoiler added after the car arrived. I can tell this because the spoiler is listed on the separate 'dealer added' sticker, along with locking lug nuts, upholstery protectant. paint protectant, etc.

smokin5s - If I bought a used car from a third party and the clearcoat began to separate on the spoiler, I would simply bite my tongue and pony up the money and get it fixed. But since you bought this car from a dealer, there should be a specified period (different for each dealer) during which he will fix problems. Even after that period expires, he may help in some way to make your car right. That would be good business on his part, as you might be inclined to shop again there some day.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM

the car was built in the end of 2010, I am the 2nd owner, I did trace back to the original dealership today, they did install it aftermarket, but it is a Nissan spoiler painted by Nissan. When I took it to our local dealership, they told me it was aftermarket so they won't cover it... but now knowing this info, I am going to go back to them and *****.... a car that's 2 years old using full nissan products and painted by nissan should be covered under the factory warranty!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM

I'm guessing this changed for 2013 ( or I am reading this wrong) as I don't have a premium or a sport but do have a factory spoiler
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
I'm guessing this changed for 2013 ( or I am reading this wrong) as I don't have a premium or a sport but do have a factory spoiler

I just checked the nissanusa site to confirm - The spoiler options did NOT change for 2013.

The rear spoiler is available on Maximas from the Nissan factory in only three ways:

1 - As part of the LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE available only on the base 'S' Maxima

2 - As part of the SPORT PACKAGE available only on the 'SV' Maxima

3 - By SPECIAL ORDERING the car and requesting a spoiler as part of the special order

The Limited Edition Package has become a very popular option on the base 'S' Maxima. It has only been available on the '12 and '13 model Maximas. I think that is where many folks are seeing a spoiler and wondering if it is OEM or added later.

If that base 'S' Maxima has such features as front fog lights and turn signals on the outside mirrors, it has the Limited Edition Package, and the spoiler is OEM from the factory. Otherwise, it was special ordered or added by a dealer or previous owner.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM

I just checked the nissanusa site to confirm - The spoiler options did NOT change for 2013.

The rear spoiler is available on Maximas from the Nissan factory in only three ways:

1 - As part of the LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE available only on the base 'S' Maxima

2 - As part of the SPORT PACKAGE available only on the 'SV' Maxima

3 - By SPECIAL ORDERING the car and requesting a spoiler as part of the special order

The Limited Edition Package has become a very popular option on the base 'S' Maxima. It has only been available on the '12 and '13 model Maximas. I think that is where many folks are seeing a spoiler and wondering if it is OEM or added later.

If that base 'S' Maxima has such features as front fog lights and turn signals on the outside mirrors, it has the Limited Edition Package, and the spoiler is OEM from the factory. Otherwise, it was special ordered or added by a dealer or previous owner.
My car is a 2013 SV , Not limited, Sport or Premium. The dealer must have special ordered it as the car was in the showroom
Old 03-31-2013, 12:46 AM

My car is a 2013 SV , Not limited, Sport or Premium. The dealer must have special ordered it as the car was in the showroom
Either special ordered it, OR added the spoiler when the car arrived at the dealership. The two Nissan dealers nearest me have a habit of adding things to vehicles they plan to display in their showroom. Spoilers are one of their favorite additions.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:07 AM

Either special ordered it, OR added the spoiler when the car arrived at the dealership. The two Nissan dealers nearest me have a habit of adding things to vehicles they plan to display in their showroom. Spoilers are one of their favorite additions.
I'm guessing it must have been special ordered as on the window sticker under "Options Installed By Manufacturer" it has Rear Spoiler $380.00
Old 03-31-2013, 07:30 PM

I'm guessing it must have been special ordered as on the window sticker under "Options Installed By Manufacturer" it has Rear Spoiler $380.00
If that is on the sticker, then the spoiler was indeed already on the car when it rolled off the Smyrna assembly line.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 AM

If that is on the sticker, then the spoiler was indeed already on the car when it rolled off the Smyrna assembly line.

Whoever orders the cars at my dealer must have been spoiler happy as not only mine is factory but 12 others on the lot have the spoiler from the factory on non premium/sport SV's according the the window sticker
Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 PM

380 $$$ wow I paid 100 for a pre painted spoiler off ebay..installed myself took me 30 minutes
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jarohnimo
380 $$$ wow I paid 100 for a pre painted spoiler off ebay..installed myself took me 30 minutes
Hopefully it lasts , hence the OP's issues
Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 AM

Whoever orders the cars at my dealer must have been spoiler happy as not only mine is factory but 12 others on the lot have the spoiler from the factory on non premium/sport SV's according the the window sticker
Either your dealer simply loves the look of the spoiler on the 7th gen Maxima, or the dealership is in a location where most customers prefer to have a spoiler. Spoilers are very popular in the counties on both sides of the county I live in, but I live in an ultra-conservative county where spoilers are usually seen only on lower-priced vehicles such as smaller Chevys, Dodges, Fords, etc, or on higher-powered sports-type vehicles.

Probably two-thirds of the vehicles on the road in this county are pickup trucks (most fancied up to between $40K and $55K) or SUVs. I think the most common sedan in this county is Lexus, which is a brand I have never been interested in. Second most common sedan brand around here would be BMW, which looks good, but has had reliability problems for years.

I do see several 7th gen Maximas almost every day. They look good!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Either your dealer simply loves the look of the spoiler on the 7th gen Maxima, or the dealership is in a location where most customers prefer to have a spoiler. Spoilers are very popular in the counties on both sides of the county I live in, but I live in an ultra-
Since I'm in Minnsota the dealer must love the look