7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced ugly amber screen with Google Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Replaced ugly amber screen with Google Nexus 7

Just wanted to share one of my favorite projects. Replaced the ugly amber screen with Google Nexus 7 with Android 4.1, replaced stock radio with Pioneer AVH-X2500BT 6.1" Touch DVD/USB/MP3 Car Player and relocated temperature control screen to glove box. Here is the link to the video.

I apologize for the video quality, it was taken from cellphone while navigating through screen and stereo.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:05 PM

nice. how u did it>
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 PM

nice finally some non-ipad work... i hope you have an alarm.

So for the gps of the nexus you gonna have it tethered? And if tethered does gps work?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kmoney
nice. how u did it>
Thank you.

The Nexus is supported by 3 brackets. 2 "S" brackets to support from sides and used vent screws to hold it. 1 wide "L" bracket at bottom supported by HVAC control top screws. The audio is transmitted to stereo over bluetooth. Wifi is connected via phone tethering. Extended the temperature display wiring to accommodate it in the glove box. I wish I would have taken some pictures to post while installations. Still looking forward on to moving temperature display underneath stereo, if I am able to find that extra piece without messing up the original part.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
nice finally some non-ipad work... i hope you have an alarm.

So for the gps of the nexus you gonna have it tethered? And if tethered does gps work?
Nexus has built-in GPS sensor, no need for tethering. I tested it without connecting to my phone and it works perfectly fine.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 PM

This is the same/similar setup I'm aiming for. Great job!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 PM

Congrats! That's amazing. How are you managing power and the side buttons?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 PM

Clean
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Amazing work man. I want to try this but I'm sure I would mess it up lol how long did it take you?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM

NICE work!
How is your lag time for watching movies?
Do the actors lips sync up just fine?
That's the problem I run into trying to watch a movie through Bluetooth.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 PM

That it so badass!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Envymynissan
Congrats! That's amazing. How are you managing power and the side buttons?
Changed the power setting to turn on when it sees power and shuts down after 15 seconds of power shutdown. Volume can be controlled from the screen.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
NICE work!
How is your lag time for watching movies?
Do the actors lips sync up just fine?
That's the problem I run into trying to watch a movie through Bluetooth.
Thanks. I know it is difficult to see in the video that I posted but there is no lag at all.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by IAMALI1
Changed the power setting to turn on when it sees power and shuts down after 15 seconds of power shutdown. Volume can be controlled from the screen.
When you say shuts down, do you mean go into sleep mode?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 AM

looks great!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Pay attention Nissan. Put an android tablet in the next Maxima. To think that they charge $1000+ just for nav screen and this guy got Nav Google Maps Web Cool UI 32GB+ Jukebox Movies2Go Phone Pandora Weather Time & Social Media Widgets and so much more for $250. Very neat setup.....on the flip side the only thing Google tablets is missing is A/V input and FM support. Pay attention Google.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM

the technology you see in your car will always be a generation or two, or three, behind. reason is because when they design the car, they have to use whatever is available at the time. the time it takes to go from design, to prototype, through crash testing/safety testing, to production is quite a while so by the time the car ends up at the dealership the stuff inside is already out of date compared to the next tablet/etc that just got released.

im sure we'll start seeing more things LIKE this in the future; it just makes sense. on top of that Android is a free OS so car manufacturers can dive right in and utilize and existing platform instead of re-inventing the wheel.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Thank you.

The Nexus is supported by 3 brackets. 2 "S" brackets to support from sides and used vent screws to hold it. 1 wide "L" bracket at bottom supported by HVAC control top screws. The audio is transmitted to stereo over bluetooth. Wifi is connected via phone tethering. Extended the temperature display wiring to accommodate it in the glove box. I wish I would have taken some pictures to post while installations. Still looking forward on to moving temperature display underneath stereo, if I am able to find that extra piece without messing up the original part.
Being bored , I was thinking....how about instead of a double din, one can use say a single din JVC KD-AVX77, so you can have room for the temperature display and still get the backup camera as well.

Name:  9ecd94cdcab26e181000d1e9c12b60b3_zps05284083.jpg
Views: 3194
Size:  66.2 KB
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
the technology you see in your car will always be a generation or two, or three, behind. reason is because when they design the car, they have to use whatever is available at the time. the time it takes to go from design, to prototype, through crash testing/safety testing, to production is quite a while so by the time the car ends up at the dealership the stuff inside is already out of date compared to the next tablet/etc that just got released.

im sure we'll start seeing more things LIKE this in the future; it just makes sense. on top of that Android is a free OS so car manufacturers can dive right in and utilize and existing platform instead of re-inventing the wheel.
Makes sense!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MADMAXXED
Pay attention Nissan. Put an android tablet in the next Maxima. To think that they charge $1000+ just for nav screen and this guy got Nav Google Maps Web Cool UI 32GB+ Jukebox Movies2Go Phone Pandora Weather Time & Social Media Widgets and so much more for $250. Very neat setup.....on the flip side the only thing Google tablets is missing is A/V input and FM support. Pay attention Google.
This totally makes sense.. hopefully/wishfully the 8th gen comes w that option but they never do things of this nature unless the demand is high as with the ipod etc. I can see inexpensive cars being successful at this 1st.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM

Being bored , I was thinking....how about instead of a double din, one can use say a single din JVC KD-AVX77, so you can have room for the temperature display and still get the backup camera as well.
That's true. I did realize it after the pioneer was installed and had no other choice other than moving the temp display to glove box for now. I will find a way to install it underneath the stereo as soon as I find that extra piece. Some Dremel work needs to be done to accommodate it.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM

Great work... Where r u located???
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 PM

That's true. I did realize it after the pioneer was installed and had no other choice other than moving the temp display to glove box for now. I will find a way to install it underneath the stereo as soon as I find that extra piece. Some Dremel work needs to be done to accommodate it.
Regardless, Great job.
Dunno if you experienced the factory nav b4 but how does the nexus google nav compare to it. Is it slow , is it lagging as far as updating current location? Do it lose signal?

Whenever you get chance, why not post some pics of it from behind. This way , if your not willing to do a walk thru, we can still copy if not improve on your work.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Would he view the backup camera from the jvc?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jam_Roc
Would he view the backup camera from the jvc?
Yes. You need a secondary screen to view the auto reverse feed. Whether it be a double din, single din, or rearview mirror w builtin monitor (for a neat setup).
Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM

Yea please post some pics when you get a chance
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Any loss of sound quality? There was a rumor about the factory 2 ohm speakers losing sound quality with conventional aftermarket stereos that are 4ohms... Don't know if this was a salesman trying to sell me new speakers for my old 07 Altima, not sure even if this applies to the maxima too. I hope you can forgive my ignorance... How does it sound compared to stock?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 PM

Regardless, Great job.
Dunno if you experienced the factory nav b4 but how does the nexus google nav compare to it. Is it slow , is it lagging as far as updating current location? Do it lose signal?

Whenever you get chance, why not post some pics of it from behind. This way , if your not willing to do a walk thru, we can still copy if not improve on your work.
I did not notice any lag or loss of signal. I tried it with 3 different navigation apps. I will post some pictures as soon as weather gets favorable here, its still snowing around here.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM

Any loss of sound quality? There was a rumor about the factory 2 ohm speakers losing sound quality with conventional aftermarket stereos that are 4ohms... Don't know if this was a salesman trying to sell me new speakers for my old 07 Altima, not sure even if this applies to the maxima too. I hope you can forgive my ignorance... How does it sound compared to stock?
I would not listen to those salesman. The sound quality is much better with the Pioneer compared to stock radio. I don't know how different it would be if it was Bose that's in SV.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 PM

Niceeeee install man. I did the same install but with a galaxy tablet.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM

DIY would give me a project this weekend! Just purchased that Pioneer radio (:
Old 04-20-2013, 04:20 PM

bump! I'm having trouble making room for the power cable. I have a 7inch tablet that fits perfectly but not enough room for the power mini usb =/ suggestions?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by GNCMaxima
bump! I'm having trouble making room for the power cable. I have a 7inch tablet that fits perfectly but not enough room for the power mini usb =/ suggestions?
What tablet are you putting in? You could look into a right angle micro USB cable. I'm thinking of using a Nexus 7 and getting that dock. That way I can integrate a quick slide in to connect to the car.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:31 PM

yeah I've been looking forever for that right angle micro USB.... no luck. Also I have no room for the aux cable. I was thinking about getting a Bluetooth aux output for the car so I can stream it wireless? I dunno I'm still stuck lol

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Quote:

What tablet are you putting in? You could look into a right angle micro USB cable. I'm thinking of using a Nexus 7 and getting that dock. That way I can integrate a quick slide in to connect to the car.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 PM

yeah I've been looking forever for that right angle micro USB.... no luck. Also I have no room for the aux cable. I was thinking about getting a Bluetooth aux output for the car so I can stream it wireless? I dunno I'm still stuck lol

Yeah man, you can do both. Amazon/Google are your friends, dood. Plenty options, otherwise you're likely gonna be cutting some plastic with a good rotary tool...

Amazon.com: Right Angle Micro USB Cable - Motorola Droid, Incredible, Droid X: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Right Angle Micro USB Cable - Motorola Droid, Incredible, Droid X: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: BlueGate Bluetooth Adapter Wireless Receiver by GOgroove Audio with A2DP Technology for Home Stereo , Portable Speakers , Headphones , and Car Music Sound Systems: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: BlueGate Bluetooth Adapter Wireless Receiver by GOgroove Audio with A2DP Technology for Home Stereo , Portable Speakers , Headphones , and Car Music Sound Systems: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM

I bought the radio and a non slip pad and have the tablet outside, sitting below the radio. I have not taken the plunge to put it in the dash to make sure it works. I have seen a charging temp warning in the mid 80s, and i'm worried about how it will behave in the hot texas summer. Sucks that pioneer app mode only works with Iphone, at least on the x2500bt. Another problem is that bluetooth has to be adjusted manually, to switch from phone to tablet. For now, I'm using the tablet for nav only, and using my phone for music, Pandora can be controlled from the radio via bluetooth, but it doesn't connect automatically about 75% of the time. I am considering switching to iphone to use app mode on the radio and remove the tablet. I am able to tether with a free app with limited functions. To unleash the tablet, i will need mobile wifi or pay for a tethering plan. I still don't know which way I'm going to go. So far invested 800 on the install with a back up camera plus the cost of the tablet. I should have waited for the tech package.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 PM

I bought the radio and a non slip pad and have the tablet outside, sitting below the radio. I have not taken the plunge to put it in the dash to make sure it works. I have seen a charging temp warning in the mid 80s, and i'm worried about how it will behave in the hot texas summer. Sucks that pioneer app mode only works with Iphone, at least on the x2500bt. Another problem is that bluetooth has to be adjusted manually, to switch from phone to tablet. For now, I'm using the tablet for nav only, and using my phone for music, Pandora can be controlled from the radio via bluetooth, but it doesn't connect automatically about 75% of the time. I am considering switching to iphone to use app mode on the radio and remove the tablet. I am able to tether with a free app with limited functions. To unleash the tablet, i will need mobile wifi or pay for a tethering plan. I still don't know which way I'm going to go. So far invested 800 on the install with a back up camera plus the cost of the tablet. I should have waited for the tech package.
Do you have a picture of it? I live in Texas too, Dallas, but my maxima is a S non Bose/tech package so my Bluetooth only does phone calls =/

My current problem is mounting this dang tablet and making room for the power and aux plugs...the vents are in the way!!!!!

Last edited by GNCMaxima; 04-21-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 PM

Pioneer AppRadio SPH-DA100. could that REPLACE the Amber screen? it's a whole DVD nav system. I know it's not suppose to go there but just thought I would ask y'all first

Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM

It would require a lot of custom work for the screen to fit plus you may not have enough space behind screen.

On a another note, I was looking at Kenwood products because they come with Garmin and supposedly can integrate some vehicle display functions. I contacted customer care to ask them if I could route the nav display to another screen? I was told by them that this years model couldn't but the previous 2011 model could. too late..
Old 04-21-2013, 07:35 PM

That would be awesome. I wanna call Nissan and ask them if I can reroute the a/c vents somewhere else lol fml
Originally Posted by Jam_Roc
It would require a lot of custom work for the screen to fit plus you may not have enough space behind screen.

On a another note, I was looking at Kenwood products because they come with Garmin and supposedly can integrate some vehicle display functions. I contacted customer care to ask them if I could route the nav display to another screen? I was told by them that this years model couldn't but the previous 2011 model could. too late..

Quick Reply: Replaced ugly amber screen with Google Nexus 7