7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Exhaust smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Tof
Newbie - Just Registered

Exhaust smoke

Hi
I have a 2010 max with 46k miles on it. When I accelerate (pedal to the floor) I see some smoke come out of my exhaust. It does not dissipate fast, not blue or white in colors, just dirty looking or grayish. I am not using any oil when I check I between oil changes (3.5k). This only seems to happen during the foot to the floor acceleration.
For most of these miles I have used 87 oct gas and switched over the last 4k miles to 93 oct but no difference other than performance at acceleration.

Any ideas?

Tof
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 AM

That's weird. A friend of mine has a 2012 with 9,000 miles and the other when I bought my new Max I was driving behind him and he floored. It was a huge stream of smoke that came out. He called to ask if I saw that and it kind of had dissipated pretty fast and it wasn't heavy but was gray to black in color. He had taken his car in that day at the dealership so I'm sure they would have said something if there was an issue. it could just be the exhaust. I don't know anyone with that other issue though.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's probably only water and carbon monoxyde
Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 PM

Does this occur with subsequent aggressive acceleration runs? I ask because this only happens on my 2012 SV after I have driving it less aggressive for a few days. After the first full throttle pull...any time just after that on the same day there is no visible smoke/steam from exhaust with each full throttle acceleration. I'm guessing it is some type of carbon buildup being blown out from not pushing the motor very hard...and the full throttle cleans it out.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Tof
Newbie - Just Registered

Guy thanks for the responses

Wtgkb8,
I think u are correct that it only happens with a sudden acceleration. I will try tonight on my way home. I will stomp on it and clean things out then drive normal for 10 min or so and stomp on it again. I will let u all know tonight

Are any of u running 87 oct gas, is there any negative effects other than some performance

Tof
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tof
Are any of u running 87 oct gas, is there any negative effects other than some performance
My brother was using 87 in his 2009 S for like 6 or 7 months then switched to 91/93 octane. He noticed a big difference in performance. The engine seems to be a bit more responsive with higher octane gas.

Gas mileage is supposed to be a bit better but he mashes the pedal so I don't think he was actually benefitting in that aspect.

Other than that there are minimal reports of engine knock in the 7th Gen's (compared to the 5th Gen's anyways).

And of course ... there is the recommendation of using premium fuel throughout the manual and on the fuel door.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tof
Guy thanks for the responses

Wtgkb8,
I think u are correct that it only happens with a sudden acceleration. I will try tonight on my way home. I will stomp on it and clean things out then drive normal for 10 min or so and stomp on it again. I will let u all know tonight

Tof
I run 87 octane for normal everyday driving, but change to 91 for mountain driving. In normal everyday driving there is a slight loss of acceleration but no engine knock. The engine is designed to adjust itself to the type of fuel being used. Try both, you will not harm the engine. My buddy has been 87 for years with no adverse affect.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM

But why run 87 when Nissan recommends premium? If you do the math, the difference is a negligible 3-4 bucks. That's less than a combo meal at any fast food joint. The gas in your tank will last much longer, give you more driving satisfaction and less heartburn than a super-sized artery-clogging burger.

Go premium for your Max and your health!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 PM

The key here is not MPG, but EFFICIENCY. When the engine is running EFFICIENTLY, the MPG does not change with different octanes.

The fuel system for the 7th gen Maxima is set to operate most efficiently at 91 octane. It can use octanes very close to 91 such as 89 (midgrade) or 93 (super premium) with no loss of efficiency. But it must adjust so far to use 87 octane that it is no longer running EFFICIENTLY, and that always shows itself. This loss of efficiency may show as pinging when climbing a hill or slightly less accelleration or slightly reduced MPG. But it will show.

Drivers not very carefully attuned to how their car is operating may notice no difference with 87 octane. Drivers who are truly **** with how their cars are running will ALWAYS notice the difference when using 87 octane.

If the price of gas is a concern, I would suggest using midgrade (89 octane), which I have used after the first 18K miles in all my Maximas for thirty years. But the one time regular was accidentally put in my 7th gen Maxima by my dumb cousin, I didn't realize it until I pulled away from the station. I immediately knew something was wrong, so pulled over and looked at the receipt. As soon as I saw the 'REG' I knew what the problem was.

Yes, we can use regular (87 octane) in these 7th gen Maximas. But I would suggest that those drivers who use regular in this car may not be driving the correct car for their lifestyle.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The key here is not MPG, but EFFICIENCY. When the engine is running EFFICIENTLY, the MPG does not change with different octanes.

The fuel system for the 7th gen Maxima is set to operate most efficiently at 91 octane. It can use octanes very close to 91 such as 89 (midgrade) or 93 (super premium) with no loss of efficiency. But it must adjust so far to use 87 octane that it is no longer running EFFICIENTLY, and that always shows itself. This loss of efficiency may show as pinging when climbing a hill or slightly less accelleration or slightly reduced MPG. But it will show.

Drivers not very carefully attuned to how their car is operating may notice no difference with 87 octane. Drivers who are truly **** with how their cars are running will ALWAYS notice the difference when using 87 octane.

If the price of gas is a concern, I would suggest using midgrade (89 octane), which I have used after the first 18K miles in all my Maximas for thirty years. But the one time regular was accidentally put in my 7th gen Maxima by my dumb cousin, I didn't realize it until I pulled away from the station. I immediately knew something was wrong, so pulled over and looked at the receipt. As soon as I saw the 'REG' I knew what the problem was.

Yes, we can use regular (87 octane) in these 7th gen Maximas. But I would suggest that those drivers who use regular in this car may not be driving the correct car for their lifestyle.
Yuup, I agree. I think this is true for any Maxima 02 to 13 with the 3.5, they tend to not like 87 at all....Hence the premium recommended for maximum performance on the gas doors and manual.....except the 09 which said premium required which was a fluke writing year by Nissan

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 03-19-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Tof
Newbie - Just Registered

Not sure if it were carbon deposits in the heads or muffler system but I don't see anymore smoke. I accelerated, foot to floor, and left it there till everything cleared. I did this everyday for a few days and no smoke when I decide to stomp on it. I will continue to use 93 octane gas also.