7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Custom Headlights.

I'm reaching out to the forum on whether or not these headlights are compatible with my 2011 Nissan Maxima SV. Just want to make sure I'm ordering the right equipment. And would like any input of others who have these lights installed or a similar product. I'm also wondering if those included bumper LED will fit in the I assume bumper air duct that's next to the fog lights and how hard would that be to wire. I'm 100% sure I'm getting it professionally installed, but what worried me when you scroll down is the "Fitment" :
09-12 Nissan Maxima Halogen Headlight Model Only
***DOES NOT FIT MODEL WITH HID MODEL***
How can I find out if my car is the HID Model? And should I use factory bulbs if they're even removalble or can someone suggest some different kind to go with the new headlights. Sorry if I've used the wrong terminology as I am a Network Admin and not car mechanic. Thanks in advance for all that can help.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRL-LED-BUMP...=mtr#vi-ilComp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-9005-...=mtr#vi-ilComp
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM

it just means you'd have to splice wires if you have an OEM HID kit. so basically, those are only halogen headlights, which is mostly why they're so cheap. you'd need to figure out what packages are on your car to determine if you have HID's, but one good way to tell is when you turn on the headlights do they slowly brighten until they get full strength? if so they're likely HIDs and while its possible to install these headlights you'd have to do some splicing and you'd be downgrading from HIDs to halogen bulbs.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hhhmmm, I will take a closer inspection when I get a break and see. Definitely don't want to downgrade. And I THINK they do slowly brighten up. I would think it being an SV they would be HID and not Halogen but I will try to look closer and make sure. Thanks for the reply/knowledge Ghozt.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Just because it is an SV does not mean it came with the HID kit from the factory. It is an option when you by the car. Mine had the crappy Halogen lamps in them and I installed an aftermarket HID kit in it with a quickness. Good luck man.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM

I don't remember exactly, but I think the sport, sport tech, and premium all come with HIDs. the base S does not, SV I'm not positive about. now, you can always get an HID kit with this, and wire up these "halogens" with an HID kit and relay harness so you end up with HIDs anyway; that's what one guy did here who wanted the black out headlights without spending a grip.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 AM

what ^ said
Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Hope you don't mind me hijacking real quick. Question on the factory HID setup.

The low beam projector lamp does not incorporate a shudder system like the 6th gens correct? This one actually has a high beam that is inside of the low beam? Is that high beam also a xenon bulb?

I ask because I ordered an OEM HID kit from Ebay thinking the 7th gens were the same as the 6. Now I am going to have xenon low beams and halogen high.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Hope you don't mind me hijacking real quick. Question on the factory HID setup.

The low beam projector lamp does not incorporate a shudder system like the 6th gens correct? This one actually has a high beam that is inside of the low beam? Is that high beam also a xenon bulb?

I ask because I ordered an OEM HID kit from Ebay thinking the 7th gens were the same as the 6. Now I am going to have xenon low beams and halogen high.
the low beam projector light (on the models that have HID) is simply an HID Xenon bulb, no shutter system, none of that. the high beam is halogen on all cars, and unless you have bi-xenon projectors it doesnt make a lot of sense to use HIDs for high beams. all cars come with halogen high beams since they're usually just "flashed" and HIDs use most of their power just to light.

if you ordered the OEM HID kit, it will not fit on your halogen headlight without some modification. the OEM ballast attaches directly to the headlight and seals the area behind the bulb. on the halogen headlight its completely different.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM

I ordered the OEM ballasts and bulbs so the fit will be perfect. Ok that's nice to know that even the factory equipped cars have halogen high beams. I won't even bother upgrading that. Don't use it much anyway. Thanks for the info! Makes me feel I made the right purchase.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I ordered the OEM ballasts and bulbs so the fit will be perfect. Ok that's nice to know that even the factory equipped cars have halogen high beams. I won't even bother upgrading that. Don't use it much anyway. Thanks for the info! Makes me feel I made the right purchase.
If you have OEM HID's then you already have the OEM ballast and bulb. If you had to purchase them after the fact then they won't fit. The halogen headlights are different in the back, it won't even fit the stock HID bulb. You'd need an aftermarket HID kit.