7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

rear spoiler choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 PM

rear spoiler choices

got an 09 sv premium and I want a spoiler.. stillen has no third brake light and looks smaller than a factory one.. I have third brake light in rear window and cant decide wich way to go??? ebay has em for 120 shipped painted! then I could disconnect rear window light, or should I go with the stillen spoiler... opinions and pictures of stillen on vibrant silver appreciated.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Not many get the stillen, but it doesn't necessarily look bad. I went OEM, I like the brake light in the spoiler. Really though, anything's better than nothing. I tried for a couple months to convince myself that I didn't need the spoiler, but I couldn't do it. I bought the trunk spoiler, and even the roof spoiler a little while after that. Both options you mentioned are fine. Only way to go wrong is if you don't get anything.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:02 AM

Personally, I would go the OEM route, with the integrated stop lamp, then see if I can disconnect the inside Center High Mounted Stop Lamp.

Reason being that the spoiler may block the inside lamp from certain angles and I find that having two of those CHMSL just look weird.

But wait a bit, let pictures be uploaded, and go from there, don't rush it, it is a permanent modification to your car after all, and if you mess up, you may need a new trunk lid.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 PM

be different. look for a new spoiler that will fit your ride. Almost everyone chooses the OEM and only a handful choose the stillen spoiler.

I only know 2 people who went with a different spoiler design.

Thats just my suggestion.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 PM

I plan on getting OEM as well. Question. When a car comes with one installed is there a different rear deck cover or maybe some kind of snap in that fills the hole where the rear window center brake light housing would normally be? I'd like it to look factory when I am done.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM

I debated on whether to get the factory spoiler when I bought my Max. I think they look good either way.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I plan on getting OEM as well. Question. When a car comes with one installed is there a different rear deck cover or maybe some kind of snap in that fills the hole where the rear window center brake light housing would normally be? I'd like it to look factory when I am done.
As far as I know if the car came equiped with the trunk spoiler from the factory the brake light in the rear window was never installed or a hole was ever cut. All cars made without the trunk spoiler came with the rear window brake light. If you install an aftermarket spoiler then the rear window brake light should be disconnected or taken out and the hole covered filled with the item of your choice.

I installed and aftermarket spoiler on a 2000GLE and left the rear window light in place however I disconnected the wires to it and used them to power the LED strip on the spoiler. The rear window was tinted so it was not visable from the outside.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 AM

I installed a color matched spoiler from spoilerandwingking.com. Mine is a 2010SV. I left the CHMSL in the rear deck as well as the LED strip in the spoiler. I think it looks fine, personally, but that's my opinion.

If you decide to remove the stop lamp in the rear deck, the dealership can get a cover that is fitted for the hole left so your rear deck doesn't looked all jacked up. I think it's about $25.

Late,
Trav
Old 04-20-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
I installed a color matched spoiler from spoilerandwingking.com. Mine is a 2010SV. I left the CHMSL in the rear deck as well as the LED strip in the spoiler. I think it looks fine, personally, but that's my opinion.

If you decide to remove the stop lamp in the rear deck, the dealership can get a cover that is fitted for the hole left so your rear deck doesn't looked all jacked up. I think it's about $25.

Late,
Trav
Ok that's perfect. My opinion is I don't want people knowing its aftermarket. I want it to look factory.