7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Sudden engine surge

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM

Sudden engine surge

I just got my 2012 Maxima two weeks ago with 10k miles on it. I noticed something weird when I completely release the gas pedal. Say my speed is above 20mph and I release the gas pedal, the car slows down smoothly but every time at 20mph, there's a sudden split second surge and continues to slow down smoothly. The engine RPM jumps about 200rpm and then goes down and you can actually feel the car going just a tad faster during that split second rather than decelerating smoothly. Anyone else notice something similar?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi there, I'm new here and been lurking aroun this forum for a good month or so?. I have a 2009 sv max with 60000 miles and started experiencing this yesterday into today, from the exact description you posted. When I let off the gas, it slowly decelerates almost like dropping a gear? Weird? Maybe someone else has also experienced this?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 PM

I'm taking a stab at the dark, but could it be that you started to notice the point when the CVT's torque converter unlocks itself?
On a normal automatic transmission, it usually locks up fairly high in gears when you are up to speed, but on the CVT, it actually locks up around that 20mph area.
I think 16mph is the magic number before it locks/unlocks.

EDIT x2: Our cars also have something called a "deceleration mode".
This effect is most noticeable when you are going down hill and you let off the gas pedal and do not touch the brake either.
What happens is that the ECU, using various sensors, detects that it is going down hill, and the that driver is trying to use engine braking to slow prevent the car from going faster and faster downhill.
Thus, what it does is that it shifts the CVT into lower gear ratios so that the engine in essence acts like an air compressor and slows the car down, or at least keeps it the same speed going downhill.
On flat roads, the effect is still there, just not as noticeable until the point when the torque converter unlocks; once that happens, inertia/momentum takes over for a second, and once equalization happens, you go back to feeling the slow deceleration.
In short, what you are feeling is probably normal.

EDIT: This is what I mean.

Last edited by Akiyukio; 04-25-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 AM

It definitely makes some sense to be some kind of engine braking. As soon as I put a little bit of pressure on the brakes, it never happens.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 AM

I'm glad Akiyukio described the engine compression braking so well. This engine compression braking has been in the 6th and 7th gen Maximas. It can catch the attention of drivers who are not used to it.

When I first drove my '04 6th gen back in spring of '04, I thought the CVT was not working just right.Then I read the Owner's Manual and Nissan writeups and found Nissan was heralding this as a 'feature' that made for a sportier ride whenever we were pushing the car on winding and/or hilly roads.

Once I got used to it, I really liked it, and am glad they kept it in the 7th gen. I sometimes drive on twisting mountain roads, and found engine compression braking does make for a more entertaining driving experience. It also helps save on braking on long downgrades. Those that don't like it can simply push the gas pedal slightly and the engine braking stops.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 AM

I noticed this too early on. Does it everyday while driving home from work on a steep hill. I usually will shift into a higher gear using the paddle shifter.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:02 PM

If you cant get use to the engine breaking you can have it disabled at the dealer see here: http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...aking-off.html

This engine breaking does affect MPG coasting especially but there aren't any numbers yet on how much it affects mpg. AFAIK my 00 had engine breaking also.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I'm glad Akiyukio described the engine compression braking so well. This engine compression braking has been in the 6th and 7th gen Maximas. It can catch the attention of drivers who are not used to it.

When I first drove my '04 6th gen back in spring of '04, I thought the CVT was not working just right.Then I read the Owner's Manual and Nissan writeups and found Nissan was heralding this as a 'feature' that made for a sportier ride whenever we were pushing the car on winding and/or hilly roads.

Once I got used to it, I really liked it, and am glad they kept it in the 7th gen. I sometimes drive on twisting mountain roads, and found engine compression braking does make for a more entertaining driving experience. It also helps save on braking on long downgrades. Those that don't like it can simply push the gas pedal slightly and the engine braking stops.
I agree Light....I really like this feature. Keeps me a bit more engaged with the vehicle and helps on brake pad/rotor wear.