7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Front bumper misalignment at the fenders v. fix?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:37 AM

Front bumper misalignment at the fenders v. fix?

During the install of my clear bra, somehow or another where the front bumper meets are the tops of the fender seems to be slightly misaligned on one side of my car. Is there some built in adjustability that I'm not aware of?

From the diagrams I've seen, it looks like the bumper connects to the fenders via location pins and the bolts up behind the headlight.

Is it just a matter of loosening the bolt and massaging it into place and retightening?

Could the pins be misaligned and throwing everything off?

Any guidance would be great! Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 06:03 AM

They took your front end off to install the clear bra?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by WrightOne86
They took your front end off to install the clear bra?
no, I actually did the installation myself.

Its just an OCD observation I made on my vehicle. Its just ever-so-slightly off.

I've seen this on many other 7th gens I've observed in passing so I figured it might be common.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 AM

I hate that d**n gap! I have one on the driver side where the fender meets that pretty dang noticable, and then I also have the gap under each headlight from my headlight swap. Initially I thought I must've removed a bolt from somewhere that I shouldn't have, but when I took it back off to investigate I see nothing. Smh.

Still haven't found a fix, on these forums or google for that matter. Even called Nissan and they told me to go to a body shop... even though I'm sure Nissan removes/replaces the bumper whenever they need to fix a fog or headlight... A-holes...
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Siizzzoooo
During the install of my clear bra, somehow or another where the front bumper meets are the tops of the fender seems to be slightly misaligned on one side of my car. Is there some built in adjustability that I'm not aware of?

From the diagrams I've seen, it looks like the bumper connects to the fenders via location pins and the bolts up behind the headlight.

Is it just a matter of loosening the bolt and massaging it into place and retightening?

Could the pins be misaligned and throwing everything off?

Any guidance would be great! Thanks
So was it like this before you did this work? If it wasn't it should still re-align by lossening, re-aligning, and re-tightening like you mention.
If that fails you should be able to slot (or open-up) one of the attach holes to give it some more adjustment. But that would require more work and a possible removal again.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:56 PM

make sure that styrofoam block in the bumper cover is sitting where it should, that can push the bumper cover away from the fenders. also, the little black plastic piece that you use to hold the bumper cover to the fenders - that can be inserted but not actually holding anything on unless you get it to catch that plastic lip on the bumper cover. and for the gaps underneath the headlight, there should be a black plastic piece that you sort of "slide" the bumper cover on that holds it up right below the headlight
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 PM

that what u get for taking apart your car so many times.....experience!^^^^^^^
Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseldan
that what u get for taking apart your car so many times.....experience!^^^^^^^
I took it apart as per Ghozt's DIY and it worked like a charm. In fact, it was more difficult trying to squeeze the lights through and positioning them than it was to remove and reinstall the bumper. I have the scratches on my forearm to prove it.

I don't have the experience of other people on this forum, but I agree with Ghozt that it's probably the styrofoam that's making everything stick out and producing the gaps.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, it was quite simple, i even surprised myself
Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 PM

Good to know. The gap under one of my headlights is definitely annoying but at least I now know how ti fix it