7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A.C. doesent blow as cold.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A.C. doesent blow as cold.

Hey guys. I have a quick question. Has anyone here ever serviced thier a.c. on thier 7th geb?. The reason I ask is because my brothers 2010 and has stopped blowing cold air, and I recently noticed my 2011 doesent blow as cold as it use to. Summer is right around the corner and I dont want to be caught in a sweat box. When I say servicing the a.c. I mean adding frion. Is that something we can do ourselves, or is it best left to the proffesionals.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 AM

If you have experience with this, then sure, why not do it yourself, just follow the correct procedures in the FSM.

By the sounds of it, and I am taking your post literally word for word, it seems like you may want to get it done professionally instead.
If you simply just "add frion" you risk:
  1. either over-pressurizing the system, and getting worse performance, as the compressor has to work harder to compress more refrigerant or
  2. accidentally venting the system, removing the lubricants that are in the lines causing early compressor failure.
  3. I just read this, but there may be a small leak somewhere causing slow loss of refrigerant, and thus the system is not getting as cold as it can before letting the air go into your cabin.
    So you may want to get that checked as well.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automo...ditioning3.htm
Either way though, do it right, so you only have to do it once and avoid re-doing things or repairs (pardon the pun) down the road.

EDIT: I'm not sure for either of your cars, but if it is still with in warranty, why not try to get it under warranty?

Last edited by Akiyukio; 04-29-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
If you have experience with this, then sure, why not do it yourself, just follow the correct procedures in the FSM.

By the sounds of it, and I am taking your post literally word for word, it seems like you may want to get it done professionally instead.
If you simply just "add frion" you risk:
  1. either over-pressurizing the system, and getting worse performance, as the compressor has to work harder to compress more refrigerant or
  2. accidentally venting the system, removing the lubricants that are in the lines causing early compressor failure.
  3. I just read this, but there may be a small leak somewhere causing slow loss of refrigerant, and thus the system is not getting as cold as it can before letting the air go into your cabin.
    So you may want to get that checked as well.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automo...ditioning3.htm
Either way though, do it right, so you only have to do it once and avoid re-doing things or repairs (pardon the pun) down the road.

EDIT: I'm not sure for either of your cars, but if it is still with in warranty, why not try to get it under warranty?

I agree totally. On my 96, I used a recharge kit with a gauge that was not working correctly. I ended up having to replace a few items because of it.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the imput guys. Both cars are still under warranty, so ill try to get the stealership to cover my bill.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 AM

And if the stealership balks, and you decide to do it yourself, be sure to add the proper refrigerant. Freon has gone the way of the dodo bird, and is not available. The placards under the hood specify exactly what type of refrigerant will work in this car.