7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12V Plug not working. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

12V Plug not working. Help please.

2012 w/ Premium Package. Both 12V plugs are not working - the one inside the center console under the arm rest and the other inside the small storage compartment just in front of the first plug. I have pulled both fuses and both are in good shape.

I guess my next step is to tear into the console and see what's going on. Could it be possible that one has failed and caused both not to work?

How in the heck do I gain access to them. Can I simply pull up on them and get them out? I cannot find anywhere how to take the center console apart.

Anyone else had this problem and been able to repair?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by joegrdoyle
2012 w/ Premium Package. Both 12V plugs are not working - the one inside the center console under the arm rest and the other inside the small storage compartment just in front of the first plug. I have pulled both fuses and both are in good shape.

I guess my next step is to tear into the console and see what's going on. Could it be possible that one has failed and caused both not to work?

How in the heck do I gain access to them. Can I simply pull up on them and get them out? I cannot find anywhere how to take the center console apart.

The power outlet in my console works but the one behind the cup holder has never worked, going in for repair this weekend

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 08-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:59 PM

Have you taken a multimeter to it to see if it has either a ground or voltage going through it? That would be the quickest way to see what the problem is since the fuses are good.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
The power outlet in my console works but the one behind the cup holder has never worked, going in for repair this weekend
Can you please let me know what you find out?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by escblads
Have you taken a multimeter to it to see if it has either a ground or voltage going through it? That would be the quickest way to see what the problem is since the fuses are good.
No voltage. Didn't know if it was one plug causing a problem for both or both are actually bad. I'm assuming the back of the plugs would be a greater chance of causing the problem than the back of the fuse box, however, if both are not working and independent of one another, I didn't know if maybe I should start at the fuse box.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do you guys know if I have to tear apart the entire console or if I can just pop the plugs out the felt trays (for lack of a better term) they are in? I want to get to the back of the plugs to see what is going on but didn't know if tearing apart the console was necessary. I have searched all over for information but little exists on the 7th generation.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM

It's still in warranty I assume. Let the dealership fix it. It's their problem not yours.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM

My car goes in Saturday, send me a PM just case I forget as I am off work for 2 weeks

Why don't you just let the dealer handle it since it's under warranty ?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 AM

I'm glad to know about this. I"ll be taking mine in. That is really aggravating.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Mine was just a fuse,
Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
Mine was just a fuse,
+1 mine was a fuse as well. Took it to the dealership yesterday (first oil change) and they fixed that outlet. As soon as they drove the car to the door so I can leave the outlet stopped working again so they replaced it with another fuse. Really quick and there were free snacks!