7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do or have you had an engine knock in park at warm idle on your 2009-13 Maxima
No, my 7th generation has more than 5,000 miles and no engine noise
65.13%
Possibly but it hasn't been diagnosed by Nissan yet
12.61%
Yes and my Short Block was replaced
2.94%
Yes and I had the bearing replaced per the TSB
6.30%
Yes and I have yet to take action
13.03%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Been watching this thread for a couple weeks now. I have a 2010 SV with 53K on it. So far, it's quiet. Thanks for the video Rick! Awesome!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:50 PM

I'm glad I looked at this post. I have a 2000 Maxima SE and was looking forward to getting this gen Max, but I will wait and see how this plays out. My Maxima has been a rock for me and I'm looking to get another one in the future.

Does anyone have any updates as far as if any other 7th gen owners having warranty work done? I plan on buying a used 7th gen but will be checking to see if the warranty work was done or not to whatever vehicle I purchase.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have not heard of any engine failures as of yet from a bearing issue, has anyone?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:11 PM

I have not heard of any either.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:50 PM

Have officially crossed the 100K mark. Definitely have the bad main bearing. It knocks, but hasn't gotten worse (as far as my ears can tell). Oil analyses have been ok. Minimally high levels of iron and aluminum, but Blackstone says that could easily be the wear signature of this engine and it's probably ok. Had a bearing streak (most likely) at around 60k-ish. Elevated lead for one oil change interval.

My thoughts are this:

Noise is present at idle and can be heard at low speed like in parking lots and such (when torque converter is unlocked). Once torque converter locks, noise goes away completely. I really think that somehow, when the TC is in lock-up, it somehow stabilizes the crankshaft and bearing wear at the bad egg stops. I've been way too hard on this car for a bad main bearing to not give away if it were wearing every one of the 100,000 miles.

I think light damage happens when TC unlocked and no damage happens when it's locked. Silly idea, but just my observation and would sorta make sense.

Late,
Trav
Old 05-09-2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
I recently purchased a 2014 also. I purchased it knowing about this problem and expecting that the number of vehicles having this issue is very limited. We will probably find out soon enough. Unfortunately Nissan does not appear to take the time to resolve any problems in manufacturing. Such as the seats rocking or condensation in the tail lights for the 2009 thru 2013 models so I expect any issues those model years had the 2014's will have also.

Yes it is scary, especially when the dealer and/or Nissan rep tells you that the engine knocking sounds are normal and there is nothing wrong. Or even if the problem is acknowledged Nissan does not have long block in stock to fix the problem. Does not makes me feel real confident about my Maxima.
Originally Posted by stodge
My faith in Nissan plummeted when a dealer told me that the left pull in my wife's Versa was normal. A different dealer fixed it under warranty.
Yeah.....when I took my brand new '12 in for its free first oil change, I mentioned that there was a vibration at highway speeds and asked for them to re-balance the wheels. They told me that was normal with these cars too. LOL....a brand new car where vibrations on the highway is "normal".....
Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2012 S with 36k here, no unusual sounds at all. I sure hope I never get any. Plenty of miles left to see however. Big thanks for creating this thread, and to those who posted YouTube videos of the sound! I wish this was a sticky though! Very happy I know what a healthy vq35de sounds like at least, someone else might be less fortunate.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:40 PM

I just joined the forum since I am in the market for a 2012+ Maxima currently, and I stumbled across this thread. This thread has raised concern for me, and I am glad I found it. However, I have a couple of questions concerning the existing warranty, if any, left on the Max and whether or not I am covered if I do purchase the vehicle. The 2012 Max I'm looking at is currently being sold my a BMW dealer as a 1-owner vehicle with 26k mile on it.
  • What existing warranties do I have left?
I know the factory has a 36 month/36,000 mile warranty but I am not sure if that is transferable. Thanks for the help, and I apologize for the long post. I'll be on the lookout for this issue on my search for a Max.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Daaavid
I just joined the forum since I am in the market for a 2012+ Maxima currently, and I stumbled across this thread. This thread has raised concern for me, and I am glad I found it. However, I have a couple of questions concerning the existing warranty, if any, left on the Max and whether or not I am covered if I do purchase the vehicle. The 2012 Max I'm looking at is currently being sold my a BMW dealer as a 1-owner vehicle with 26k mile on it.
  • What existing warranties do I have left?
I know the factory has a 36 month/36,000 mile warranty but I am not sure if that is transferable. Thanks for the help, and I apologize for the long post. I'll be on the lookout for this issue on my search for a Max.
3/36 BTB warranty transfers unless there was a title issue where the car was declared a loss, doubtful in you case.

It's 3 years 36K miles from the original in service date so you have 12k miles but the time could vary greatly depending on when the car was first purchased

GL, great cars if you get a good one
Old 05-09-2014, 09:14 PM

You also have 5-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
3/36 BTB warranty transfers unless there was a title issue where the car was declared a loss, doubtful in you case.

It's 3 years 36K miles from the original in service date so you have 12k miles but the time could vary greatly depending on when the car was first purchased

GL, great cars if you get a good one
You also have 5-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage.
Awesome. Thank you for the replies. Carfax shows that the vehicle was sold in September of 2012 with a clean title, so I still have about a year and four months left with the factory bumper-to-bumper.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 AM

New to ME 2012 CPO SV

Knock knock?
I get a knock after driving on the highway. I came home one night not too long ago and I heard a knock. I like the engine to idle just a bit to cool off after a highway trip. That's when I first heard it. Its repeatable if I drive a little bit, not just getting to normal temps sitting in the driveway. I already have the gold warranty but I just offloaded a PITA Jetta for this? Made 3 payments on it so far.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 AM

I jumped the gun and got myself into a new 2014 Maxima with 8 miles on the clock. I haven't checked the build date, but I think it was built in late March according to some stickers on and in the car that were left from the dealer. Hopefully it has been resolved in the 2014 models, but until then I'll be on the lookout for it within the break-in period.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM

I was a victim, things happen, not a big deal.... Purchased the car used around 43K, found out about the problem around 46k, took it to the dealer around 58K, 6 weeks later I was driving away with a brand new long block at $0 cost.. 3k later everything is just fine...

Dont let something like this deter you away from a overall great car
Old 05-18-2014, 06:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone had repeated issues after bearing replacement

At the end of April 2014 I purchased a 2011 Maxima from a small dealership in Mass. After about a week I noticed the "knock". I did my research and realized that this is a TSB. I brought my car to the dealership (Clay Nissan in Norwood, MA) with printed TSB paper in hand (thank you Maxima.org) They diagnosed the problem that day and gave me no issues what so ever in replacing the main bearing. I can't say enough good things about the dealership they were great, gave me a rental and were very friendly considering I didn't buy the car there. My question to all of you is has anyone here had the bearing replaced and continued to have problem? Considering what I have read it seems that no one "except one person" has had repeated problems.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:05 PM

It's more than the bearing they are going to replace the whole motor . Long block in all ...
Old 05-19-2014, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by jbomb17
At the end of April 2014 I purchased a 2011 Maxima from a small dealership in Mass. After about a week I noticed the "knock". I did my research and realized that this is a TSB. I brought my car to the dealership (Clay Nissan in Norwood, MA) with printed TSB paper in hand (thank you Maxima.org) They diagnosed the problem that day and gave me no issues what so ever in replacing the main bearing. I can't say enough good things about the dealership they were great, gave me a rental and were very friendly considering I didn't buy the car there. My question to all of you is has anyone here had the bearing replaced and continued to have problem? Considering what I have read it seems that no one "except one person" has had repeated problems.
I've always heard good things about Clay. I drive by it just about everyday. I can't speak to your question though. The video that I posted several pages back is an example of NO ENGINE KNOCK. Had it looked at by two dealers, Mastria and Nissan Village. They both came back with the all clear.
Originally Posted by koreanthunda
It's more than the bearing they are going to replace the whole motor . Long block in all ...
I don't think that's exactly true. Unless something has changed since this thread first opened, the write up actually describes replacing the bearings as a first fix.

Last edited by Jig9798; 05-19-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:37 PM

They diagnosed the problem that day and gave me no issues what so ever in replacing the main bearing. I can't say enough good things about the dealership they were great, gave me a rental and were very friendly considering I didn't buy the car there. My question to all of you is has anyone here had the bearing replaced and continued to have problem? Considering what I have read it seems that no one "except one person" has had repeated problems.
I would be hesitant to have them do just the bearing. Read the entire procedure, it's far from easy and dealership mechanics are not doing stuff like that often.

I'd be willing to bet you create more problems than you solve by ripping that motor apart

If they won't give you a new short or long block call Nissan Consumer

I think the one person who had repeated problems had the bearing replaced vs a new block

GL

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 05-19-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 AM

OK 5 months in now 26K miles and I am getting knocking driving 30 minutes now... Ill print out the tsb and take it in.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:59 AM

I just passed 5K miles since having the new long block replaced... No problems at all!!! Great job done by Davidson Nissan of Watertown, NY
Old 08-15-2014, 11:21 AM

And mine was diagnosed today. TSB updated with do not replace engine.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 PM

I have a 2010 with 113,000 miles on it. Have a very spirited driving style...a.k.a., not easy on the car and have never been. Definitely have the bearing knock and it has been there since new. My take on it: noise there at idle and when acceleration from stop. Without torque converter locked up (happens at 11mph) it rattles and knocks. As soon as TC locks up, noise is gone. My impression is that if TC is locked, no damage is happening. Somehow it stabilizes the crank?? Who knows. Mine is going strong....bad bearing and all....
Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thumbs down

Well, 2014 maxima sv here. Bought 2 weeks ago new and now have 1500 miles. Tail light needs to be replaced (water/condensation) Mirror turn signal needs to be replaced (almost completely filled with water) Front bumper needs to be re-clear coated due to bad clear coat from factory and now its peeling and now today I heard the knock which brought me to search the internet to this forum. Went to dealership and service manager verified knock. They want to fix everything at one shot included the main bearing. The dealership is small and I'm not feeling confident that they have the experience to fix it appropriately. Not feeling to good about this purchase. I have called Nissan corp. and am waiting for the escalation department to call me tomorrow. I saw the tsb procedure to remove the main bearing and am not confident that most mechanics can take that on and not make more problems then when they started. I called around to the biggest dealership close to me which is 2 1/2 hours away in st louis and was told by the service adviser that they have not had to tackle this problem. I am going to call a few more with the hopes that they have seen this issue and have resolved it and have experience with it. Ill keep you all posted.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:03 PM

Must be one of those Monday or Friday cars that others mention on this forum. Sorry to hear about the problems. This is a chance for the dealer and Nissan to show how much they value one of their customers. Keep us posted.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 PM

How long was yours in the shop for repair?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by honest_abe
Well, 2014 maxima sv here. Bought 2 weeks ago new and now have 1500 miles. Tail light needs to be replaced (water/condensation) Mirror turn signal needs to be replaced (almost completely filled with water) Front bumper needs to be re-clear coated due to bad clear coat from factory and now its peeling and now today I heard the knock which brought me to search the internet to this forum. Went to dealership and service manager verified knock. They want to fix everything at one shot included the main bearing. The dealership is small and I'm not feeling confident that they have the experience to fix it appropriately. Not feeling to good about this purchase. I have called Nissan corp. and am waiting for the escalation department to call me tomorrow. I saw the tsb procedure to remove the main bearing and am not confident that most mechanics can take that on and not make more problems then when they started. I called around to the biggest dealership close to me which is 2 1/2 hours away in st louis and was told by the service adviser that they have not had to tackle this problem. I am going to call a few more with the hopes that they have seen this issue and have resolved it and have experience with it. Ill keep you all posted.
Call Nissan consumer yourself. There is no reason a 2 week old car should have major engine work performed. Demand a new short or long block and a free Gold Warranty to 100K miles.

Given your other issues at 2 weeks I would ask them to buy the car back or replace it.

It's amazing that years after the TSB was released engines are still leaving the Nissan factory with bearing issues

Good Luck
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM

Call Nissan consumer yourself. There is no reason a 2 week old car should have major engine work performed. Demand a new short or long block and a free Gold Warranty to 100K miles.

Given your other issues at 2 weeks I would ask them to buy the car back or replace it.

It's amazing that years after the TSB was released engines are still leaving the Nissan factory with bearing issues

Good Luck
+1.

I have learned that you have to be a very squeaky wheel! Almost sounds like they may be trying to dodge lemon law by doing all the work at once to reduce number of days and trips in the shop. I would become very demanding and follow the advise about asking for buy back or replacement. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 PM

Good Luck
Gotta consider the idea that it may not be as big an issue as everyone makes it out to be. Ever heard of any catastrophic engine failures due to this problem? I haven't.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
Gotta consider the idea that it may not be as big an issue as everyone makes it out to be. Ever heard of any catastrophic engine failures due to this problem? I haven't.
Meow there's a good point.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by serpent
meow there's a good point.

meowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !

I see some things haven't changed, you're still a keyboard cowboy who brings nothing to this forum.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 08-20-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
I don't even own the POS anymore. People PM'd me and I got emails so I figured I would help and at least get them an extended warranty if not a complete buy back

Ask the people suffering from the problem whose posts are helpful, mine or the guy saying it's no big deal.

Good luck selling or trading you car, I'm sure the person buying it will see a bearing knock as no big deal, lol

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 08-20-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:06 PM

If anyone wants to know why you don't need to take this guy too seriously, read the first line of the post above this one. Pretty sure 99% of the people who use these forums don't feel their car is a POS. Sorry guy, but you've got a sour attitude, and it doesn't pair well with you acting like a know-it-all either. You don't own this car anymore. It came and went. You've said what you needed to. Now you're just hanging around spreading negativity and calling it "helpful". You're so easily offended, too serious, and hold grudges like a scorned woman.

And before you get too upset, remember that my last post could've been something you either A) ignored, B) chuckled and joked back, or C) got upset about and started throwing out insults again. You went with C and it kinda confirms my point.

To bring it back to the topic of the thread, I just want to again contribute my opinion to the readers that this issue is not nearly as widespread as this thread is making it out to be. Certainly check your car for symptoms of the knock, but don't be an automobile-hypochondriac.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Serpent
If anyone wants to know why you don't need to take this guy too seriously, read the first line of the post above this one. Pretty sure 99% of the people who use these forums don't feel their car is a POS. Sorry guy, but you've got a sour attitude, and it doesn't pair well with you acting like a know-it-all either. You don't own this car anymore. It came and went. You've said what you needed to. Now you're just hanging around spreading negativity and calling it "helpful". You're so easily offended, too serious, and hold grudges like a scorned woman.

And before you get too upset, remember that my last post could've been something you either A) ignored, B) chuckled and joked back, or C) got upset about and started throwing out insults again. You went with C and it kinda confirms my point.

To bring it back to the topic of the thread, I just want to again contribute my opinion to the readers that this issue is not nearly as widespread as this thread is making it out to be. Certainly check your car for symptoms of the knock, but don't be an automobile-hypochondriac.
It may not be a wide spread issue but it does not bring warm and fuzzy feelings when your vehicle has a major issue. You may not appreciate 13maximasv but some of us do since he does pm us when we had a question and he does not have his max anymore.

For the record, if your engine is knocking it is causing damage. The VQ35 is a tough engine and can take a lot of beating. That is why they have kept running and not had a major stop failure yet even with a bad knock.

https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...roblems-2.html

Post 1 "I received a call from the service manager today stating that upon further review of my main bearings, there is significant wear on #1 and #4"

At some point maybe Ill find this funny, maybe not ha-ha funny.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by serpent
if
meow !

If anyone wants to know why you don't need to take this guy too seriously, read the first line of the post above this one. Pretty sure 99% of the people who use these forums don't feel their car is a POS.
I don't even own the POS anymore.
I'm pretty sure 99% of people on this forum can comprehend the meaning of a simple sentence. Try taking a reading comprehension class. My statement CLEARLY refers to my old Maxima as a POS and does not reference anybody Else's car.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 08-21-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM

I appreciate 13Maximasv's post. That's how I feel right now. Mine is 14 with 4k miles and sounds like in the video. I have lifetime powertrain warranty on mine and still I find it outrageous that I paid 38K for a car with a bearing problem. Ripping a brand new car apart for a fix will never leave you back with a new car. My seat is beginning to rock already. AFTER FIVE FKKING YEARS THEY REFUSED TO FIX IT! How does this not make you mad.
I was very flattering of the car, go read my previous posts, but now I am angry as hell.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 PM

I myself have dealt with the replacement of the valve body on the CVT, then the whole CVT, as well as the head gaskets. I'm still happy with my car, & am satisfied with the way things were handled by Nissan. My car is an older 7th gen though. I think that all makes & models have issues of some sort. The problem here is that some of these issues have been around for a while....there is no reason for the guys with the newer cars to still be dealing with this. I do understand the frustration.

Last edited by 1996blackmax; 08-21-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Nissan quality is so-so. The 7th gen has a lot going for it, such as looks and price. As far as quality and service goes Nissan is middle of the road at best. Will my next car be a Nissan? Most likely not.

Last edited by Nopike; 08-22-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Nissan quality is so-so. The 7th gen has a lot going for it, such as looks and price. As far as quality and service goes Nissan is middle of the road at best. Will my next car be a Nissan. Most likely not.
What are the other makes/models you will be considering instead of the Maxima? Seems they all have their own list of problems anymore, but,like you, I would certainly be interested in a solid, more reliable alternative at a similar price point.... If there are any.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Since I have had my 2014 sport for only eight months and I had my 98 Maxima SE for 16 years prior to that I probably won't be making a decision anytime soon.

The few "encounters" I have had with Nissan dealers and Nissan corporate during the past 8 months were for the most part totally disappointing.

Subaru, Acura, Honda and Ford would all be considered. Toyoda makes an good product but none of their models appealed to me. If you spend considerable more on a BMW, Mercedes or Lexus you will probably get a more solid and reliable vehicle. Is it worth it? It was not worth it for me so I went with the Maxima.

The Maxima is in many ways a very nice vehicle. I don't deny that. But I do not have a whole lot of confidence in Nissan. The other auto makers may not be a whole lot better. Unless you spend a ton of money.

Many businesses have learned that providing an excellent product and service is the way to gain and keep customers. Regardless what they want you to believe. I have a feeling the automotive industry has not caught on to this. Maybe it is just the nature of the business. Considering a lot of people only buy a car every 6-10 years maybe the automakers decided, why bother.

Last edited by Nopike; 08-23-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Meow there's a good point.
But i propose another point. My intention was to buy a new car, not one that needs to have the bumper painted, have tail light and turn signal replaced and have the engine rebuilt in less than 2 weeks of having it. It really takes the enjoyment and the excitement out of the entire experience. I think we can all agree on that.

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems