7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
View Poll Results: Do or have you had an engine knock in park at warm idle on your 2009-13 Maxima
No, my 7th generation has more than 5,000 miles and no engine noise
65.13%
Possibly but it hasn't been diagnosed by Nissan yet
12.61%
Yes and my Short Block was replaced
2.94%
Yes and I had the bearing replaced per the TSB
6.30%
Yes and I have yet to take action
13.03%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When was the car first sold? It's a 5 year / 60k mile warranty...which ever occurs first.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by official_style
I would say now that it's said and done, the dealership was fine, they did what nissan would pay for. Nissan the company is who I am pissed at.
Did Nissan end up giving you any sort of extended warranty ?

I don't blame you for being pissed, I got a new short block and a Gold warranty to 100K and I was mad.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
When was the car first sold? It's a 5 year / 60k mile warranty...which ever occurs first.
Thanks. I took it to another dealer, they are taking care of it for free. Beware of shady dealers.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM

Glad to hear they're helping you out.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by maxcruz
Thanks. I took it to another dealer, they are taking care of it for free. Beware of shady dealers.
Dealers get paid for warranty work so it's very odd that any dealer would turn you away
Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 PM

When my CVT was first acting up the first guy I spoke to was not really interested in what I had to say. I finally spoke with someone else that listened, & went ahead and had the car checked. They ended up replacing the valve body....then came the CVT after. I don't understand why some service advisors act this way. I've dealt with a few of them like that over the years.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
Dealers get paid for warranty work so it's very odd that any dealer would turn you away
Could be lack of knowledge or proper training, they were telling me since I did not buy an extended warranty I was not covered. I bought it used.

The advisor at the second dealer, told me I was not covered also. She said the warranty was for 3 years, 36000 miles. I told her the powertrain warranty was different,and I was still under warranty. She checked it out then agreed with me.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:54 AM

They won't give me the extended warranty. I asked to speak to the persons supervisor last week, today she called me and said that she had put it thru arbitration or something and they won't approve it. Last time I ever buy a nissan and I will make sure anyone I know never buys one either. I'm going to call back and still ask for her supervisor because she was rude on the phone.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM

They won't give me the extended warranty. I asked to speak to the persons supervisor last week, today she called me and said that she had put it thru arbitration or something and they won't approve it. Last time I ever buy a nissan and I will make sure anyone I know never buys one either. I'm going to call back and still ask for her supervisor because she was rude on the phone.
Just my opinion, but if you really want this extended warranty then you will have to make a personal appearance at the dealership and conduct your business during a face to face meeting. It's the most successful and professional way to conduct business.

Results are not guaranteed, but the chances are better than by telephone.

Last edited by Richard66; 03-23-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:12 AM

Nissan Consumer Affairs is generally a mess. They will get a bunch of people involved but no one will take responsibility. Their favorite/only solution is to have you take your vehicle to another dealer.

Not sure the other manufacturers are any better but Nissan is a fail.

Originally Posted by Richard66
Just my opinion, but if you really want this extended warranty then you will have to make a personal appearance at the dealership and conduct your business during a face to face meeting. It's the most successful and professional way to conduct business.
I'm willing to bet he has made several personal appearances. The dealers are generally no better than corporate.

Last edited by Nopike; 03-23-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:13 AM

The dealer just says they have never heard about an extended warranty for this problem being given, and that I have warranty till what is it 50k powertrain? So if it will come back it will be while I'm still under warranty. I'm kind of done wasting my time with this, I definetly wouldn't buy another nissan
Old 03-28-2015, 08:26 PM

The dealer just says they have never heard about an extended warranty for this problem being given, and that I have warranty till what is it 50k powertrain? So if it will come back it will be while I'm still under warranty. I'm kind of done wasting my time with this, I definetly wouldn't buy another nissan
Aren't you the person I exchanged emails with directly about his issue? If so you have my name.

Nissan consumer gave me the 7 year warranty without any hassle at all. As I have said before Nissan Consumer and my dealer were nothing less than awesome

The only possible difference I can see is my car had under 4,000 miles.

Tell Nissan Consumer to look up the Gold Warranty they gave me because of the engine knock on my 2013 Maxima in October 2013.

While your at it ask them why I also got a new short block vs the bearing replacement.

Others besides me got the free gold warranty for this issue, your dealer may have never never hear of it but if Nissan Consumer tells you that they have never given the warranty as compensation for this specific problem they are 100% FOS !

Case #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
VIN #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking the time to contact Nissan North America and allowing us the opportunity to assist you.

We attempted to call you at (xxx) xxx-xxxx today at 3:37 PM EST but we just reached your voicemail.

With regard to your inquiry, the Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) agreement that you received for your extended warranty is for your reference. Kindly keep the document for your records.

Please be advised that this VSC is non-transferable.

Case # xxxxxx has been created to document your comments. If you have any additional concerns or comments, please feel free to email or contact us directly at 1-800-647-7261 (Option 7).

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 03-28-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 PM

I'm going to try again with them Monday, the chick I dealt with was so rude and stupid. I was trying to explain to her how much stuff had to be taken apart and why I was concerned and she's like 'well I don't know or care about any of that stuff'. I was never contacted by her supervisor either she called back and said they denied it. I will try again this week
Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 PM

I'm going to try again with them Monday, the chick I dealt with was so rude and stupid. I was trying to explain to her how much stuff had to be taken apart and why I was concerned and she's like 'well I don't know or care about any of that stuff'. I was never contacted by her supervisor either she called back and said they denied it. I will try again this week
This girl handled my case, you can try asking for her but my guess is the new blocks and warranties were costing Nissan too much so they stopped giving them out. I only knew to ask because others told me to so people before (and after ) me got the warranty. GL

Sincerely,

Nissan North America

Jastinne Mesina
Consumer Affairs Representative
Nissan North America, Inc.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:46 PM

Hi All,

After reading this thread I wanted some of your guys input. I looked at the videos posted then listened to mine. I swear it sounds the same but I wanted to be sure. I have a link to my motor after letting it warm up for about 15 minutes. My Powertrain warranty is up in September so I would like to get this done before. The car is a 2010 Nissan Maxima SV with 53200 miles. Please let me know if you guys think if I should bring it in. Thank you all in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae3y...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-07-2015, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by slatemaxima
Hi All, After reading this thread I wanted some of your guys input. I looked at the videos posted then listened to mine. I swear it sounds the same but I wanted to be sure. I have a link to my motor after letting it warm up for about 15 minutes. My Powertrain warranty is up in September so I would like to get this done before. The car is a 2010 Nissan Maxima SV with 53200 miles. Please let me know if you guys think if I should bring it in. Thank you all in advance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae3y...ature=youtu.be
Video is private, can't see it.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:12 PM

Crap. Sorry about that. It's public now.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by slatemaxima
Crap. Sorry about that. It's public now.
Yeah, it's definitely got the knock. This is what mine sounds like with no knock -- I'm only at 14,xxx miles as of today, so, who knows, I may not even be out of the woods yet. Here's hoping.

As far as bringing it in, do what you want. There are pretty much two schools of logic on the matter:

1.) bring it in and you'll have your engine ripped apart to replace/fix something that may or may not effect the longevity of the life of your engine.

2.) leave it be - there are minimal documented cases of engine failure that are readily available due to the main bearing knock. I think there is like one or two? Case in point, maxima.org user CorollaULEV has 125,000+ miles (I think?) and has had the bearing knock since the beginning, and has had neither the short nor the long block replaced and maintains that his car is absolutely fine.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:11 PM

Forgot to add link:
Old 05-01-2015, 01:42 PM

anyone had the knock positively diagnosed by a dealer in Ohio?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my engine knock

I figured i would weigh in and let you know my experience. I bought an xterra new in 2005 and ended up taking a loss on it due to a transmission problem that nissan finally acknowledged after i had to get rid of it. I swore i would never buy another nissan, but i fell in love with this maxima. I bought a 2013 maxima in january 2014. It now has 30, 000 miles on it and has been at the dealership for over a week getting the number 1 bearing replaced. On a side note, they gave me a versa to drive...torture...it's like driving a go-kart. I just got off the phone with consumer affairs and explained my trouble with the xterra and how i gave nissan another chance. They told me tough luck. If i want an extended warranty, i could talk to the dealer about buying obe.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:35 PM

Another tidbit to consider when getting #1 bearing replaced is what they have to take apart to get there.

This past weekend I turned on AC in Maxima for first time since having bearing replaced. Unpleasantly surprised when hot stinky air was blowing out as AC does not work. Not sure whether the dealer disconnected AC or not doing fix, but it worked fine last fall and car only has 8,000 miles on it.

Made me laugh because my biggest concern going before going in for fix was what else the morons at the dealer would mess up doing the repair.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bheintze
Another tidbit to consider when getting #1 bearing replaced is what they have to take apart to get there.

This past weekend I turned on AC in Maxima for first time since having bearing replaced. Unpleasantly surprised when hot stinky air was blowing out as AC does not work. Not sure whether the dealer disconnected AC or not doing fix, but it worked fine last fall and car only has 8,000 miles on it.

Made me laugh because my biggest concern going before going in for fix was what else the morons at the dealer would mess up doing the repair.
I just picked my car up and i sat there and tried everything. So far, so good. On a side note, i was so used to driving that versa that i accidentally squealed the tires pulling out. Going from 109 hp to 290 hp after a week and a half took a minute to get used to. I looked at the invoice and the cost of the fix was $2600. I'm sure glad it was under warranty.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mlzelt
I just got off the phone with consumer affairs and explained my trouble with the xterra and how i gave nissan another chance. They told me tough luck. If i want an extended warranty, i could talk to the dealer about buying obe.
That is just awful how they now insist on replacing the bearing ( instead of a new block) and won't even give people any compensation via an extended warranty anymore , the kicker is that the warranty may not ever be used.

I'm guess your Nissan days are done after this ?
Old 05-09-2015, 05:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
That is just awful how they now insist on replacing the bearing ( instead of a new block) and won't even give people any compensation via an extended warranty anymore , the kicker is that the warranty may not ever be used.

I'm guess your Nissan days are done after this ?
That's a hard question. I really like the looks of the nissans and they way they perform. I just think that if nissan would offer some kind of ext of warranty to people who have issues ( in my case the xterra and maxima), in the long run it would help to sell more cars. This big "f- you" they basically gave me when i explained my situation and asked for a warranty ext doesn't bode much confidence in them. These vehicles cost too much to feel like they aren't reliable. I really don't think my request to extend my warranty was out of line to give me some assurance. I am still wondering if i should send an email to consumer affairs to explain my feelings or if it's just a colossal waste of my time.
As far as my car, it seems to be running much better than before. I guess i will just hope for the best. I usually get a new car every couple of years( when they run out of warranty) but i was seriously considering keeping this one for a while. This incident has certainly made me re- think that.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:49 PM

I would still keep making noise....it was given to others in the same situation.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:49 PM

I would still keep making noise....it was given to others in the same situation.
I agree. Don't give up and make it easy for them. You deserve better.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know. That's what i don't understand. It doesn't seem right that they have warranty ext to others but aren't now. It seems that if they set the precedent of giving them out to others with this issue, they should feel obligated to give it to everyone with the confirmed problem.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max2013
I agree. Don't give up and make it easy for them. You deserve better.
Thank you. If i get time this week i will try to get am email out to them. I will keep you guys posted on what happens.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by mlzelt
I know. That's what i don't understand. It doesn't seem right that they have warranty ext to others but aren't now. It seems that if they set the precedent of giving them out to others with this issue, they should feel obligated to give it to everyone with the confirmed problem.
My guess is the new blocks ( vs bearing repair) and extended warranties were costing too much so the bean counters looked for other ways.

When I brought my car in ( I started this thread in 2013 and the title should be updated by a mod to include the 2014 model year ) for the knock the dealer offered the new block as that's what the Nissan tech line recommended and the 7 year warranty was given to me by Nissan Consumer for simply asking, no haggle whatsoever.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 05-11-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:08 PM

Just got my '10 SV back from dealer with new short block. It is running fine. It still knocks at idle when warm. Does not knock on cold start. I opted to pay for a new water pump, no labor cost, while they were in there.

Reading all this thread and the oil analysis thread from the "corolla!^%@" username with 130k miles on his 7th gen, I am leaning towards this being a nuisance to the sensitive owner and some of us are getting new short/long blocks for free. In my case I have 61.5K miles. I purchased certified used with 32k I noticed the knock after reading this thread almost 2 years ago. I finally started to be concerned because it had gotten louder.
I will cross my fingers and think positive thoughts!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is this a #1 bearing issue?

Could this be the same problem?

Nissan dealer (Destination Nissan, Albany NY) says its my front pipe. I dont want to waste money without knowing for sure (Nissan dealer wasnt even sure what it is). I currenty have a Maxima 09 SV sport/technology package, about to hit 81k. Routine maintenance always done on schedule and everything. I do have a stillen intake, y pipe, and stillen exhaust installed.

It happens after driving for about 15-20mins. Happens in any gear as long as it's idling. Can be heard best from the bottom of the car. If I give it gas, the rattling goes away, but as soon as it hits below 800rpm, thats when the rattling is at its worse.

Here is a video. Please let me know what are your thoughts. Thanks in advance
Old 05-23-2015, 08:10 PM

Not Good !!!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 PM

Lot of noise under there so it is hard to hear. I believe I hear it but with the y pipe it may be hard for the dealer to hear it.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:55 PM

That's pretty loud....not sure that it sounds like the bearing noise some have posted.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply guys. I really appreciate it. I do agree, its so loud its hard to isolate the where the sound is coming from. The nissan dealer recommended a new y pipe, I am puzzled because I have the racingline y-pipe -- which comes without the third catalytic converter. Shouldnt the racingline y-pipe be quiet because it doesnt have a cat? The dealer quoted me $1050 on just the front pipe plus an hour of labor :'(
Old 05-24-2015, 07:49 AM

Dude....that sounds like big nasty exhaust leak. Did you say it doesnt make the sound when cold?

I would take that car to an exhaust shop and let them tighten up those flanges. I have the RL ypipe and it sounds nothing like that. Its just as quiet as stock ypipe was. I highly doubt anything is BROKEN, but you probably have a loose flange or need a new gasket somewhere.

Nissan wanting to charge you $1050 for a new ypipe? Really? I would NOT go back to that dealer because it sounds like they were trying to bend you over. I would take it to any reputible exhaust shop. Sounds like a 10 minute fix to me.

Late,
Trav

Last edited by CorollaULEV; 05-24-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:30 AM

I agree with the other guys. Sounds like something exhaust related rattling. Check the heat shield because that can be a common cause of rattling like that. I would recommend getting some heat resistant gloves and pushing and pulling on some of the exhaust pieces and when you hear a change in the rattle youll know youve found it.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
Dude....that sounds like big nasty exhaust leak. Did you say it doesnt make the sound when cold?

I would take that car to an exhaust shop and let them tighten up those flanges. I have the RL ypipe and it sounds nothing like that. Its just as quiet as stock ypipe was. I highly doubt anything is BROKEN, but you probably have a loose flange or need a new gasket somewhere.

Nissan wanting to charge you $1050 for a new ypipe? Really? I would NOT go back to that dealer because it sounds like they were trying to bend you over. I would take it to any reputible exhaust shop. Sounds like a 10 minute fix to me.

Late,
Trav
So i actually bought the heat resistant gloves and also went out of my way to buy a mechanics stethoscope. While on jack stands, i got under the car and checked for any loose shields, it seems like both converters are fine on that. But with the help of my buddy, i was able to verify its the front cat converter generating the noise. As soon as he lets go of the gas, the sound is much more evident and was able to isolate it with the mechanics stethoscope. What do you guys think about buying a used cat converter (From a junk yard)? Or should i buy a new one? Thanks so much for your help guys!!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:37 AM

Ha. I remember when I posted in this thread a day before I got my car. Well, I'm pretty sure my new 2014 (well has 10k miles on it now after a year) has this issue. I was cleaning up the grease left behind by the dealership after I got the oil changed about a week ago and stumbled upon this thread again, and sure enough it does sound like my car is knocking. I'll have to get a video posted up to get a second opinion.

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems