7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do or have you had an engine knock in park at warm idle on your 2009-13 Maxima
No, my 7th generation has more than 5,000 miles and no engine noise
65.13%
Possibly but it hasn't been diagnosed by Nissan yet
12.61%
Yes and my Short Block was replaced
2.94%
Yes and I had the bearing replaced per the TSB
6.30%
Yes and I have yet to take action
13.03%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

mrgooch's 2010 Maxima

It was still covered up until 60,000.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by doowop42
It was still covered up until 60,000.
Was it covered under the 5/60 drivetrain warranty or did you have an extended bumper to bumper ?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

mrgooch's 2010 Maxima

under the 5/60 drivetrain warranty
Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM

Took my car back in with some pretty bad knocking... got the same "normal" quote. I have requested Consumer Affairs send a Nissan engineer to diagnose. I have yet to hear back. I'll report when I hear something.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

FYI - I was just informed that Nissan has discontinued the short block replacement and now is doing a full engine replacement. This is the way to go as I myself had the short block replaced and have had issues as a result of disassembly and reassemble of the replacement block ( gasket issues & oil leaks). I strongly recommend to those that you want a complete engine replacement not a short block replacement.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tuckert
FYI - I was just informed that Nissan has discontinued the short block replacement and now is doing a full engine replacement. This is the way to go as I myself had the short block replaced and have had issues as a result of disassembly and reassemble of the replacement block ( gasket issues & oil leaks). I strongly recommend to those that you want a complete engine replacement not a short block replacement.
That's the way to go IF you can get them to do it.

BTW what kind of a butcher mechanic working inside a Nissan dealership with access to every tool, the best quality parts, all the correct torques, etc can't assemble a short block correctly ?

I would hate to see that guy even ATTEMPT the bearing replacement per the TSB.

What year is your car and exactly what issue have you had ?

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 12-03-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I couldn't agree with you more pertaining the reassembly. This was one of my arguments with the dealership and advised that this car would be back as a result of this process. I also stated that the car lost part of it's resale value too.

My second car ( 1st one replaced because of the nocking noise at 4K miles)- Both being a 2012. The second car - The engine ( short Block) completed at 17K and now has 21K - It's been at the dealership for the following:

1. Front seat rocking
2. Both side mirrors replaced twice for water retention
3. Wrapped rotors - I replaced with Cyro rotors - The way to go
4. At the dealer 3 times before they would validate the engine / coolant leaking.

For my pain & suffering: Gold warranty along with Free oil & filter changes for the life of the car ( as long as I own it which is to be determined)
Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 PM

My second car ( 1st one replaced because of the nocking noise at 4K miles)- Both being a 2012. The second car - The engine ( short Block) completed at 17K and now has 21K - It's been at the dealership for the following:
So Nissan bought your car first back or gave you a new one ?

Did both cars have the engine knock ?

I started this thread, my short block was replaced on my 2013 at about 4K miles but I only asked for the Gold Warranty.

I since traded the car, I got the sense I could have got more as they gave me the warranty without any hassle.

My car had a host of other issues also, mainly interior rattles and a couple things that didn't work from the factory, Ebrake light and cell charger.

It also had moisture ( fog not water) in the rear tail lamp after washing but I was told this was normal.

After 4k miles i had enough.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 12-03-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmm now I'm interested in this. I was standing outside my car (2010) the other night talking with a buddy and I noticed a similar noise at idle. Can't remember if it was more of a tapping or a knocking but there was definitely a noise. Car was warm because I just drove 20 minutes to his house after driving 5 hours from from vacation. He heard it too, and he is a gearhead. I never hear it inside the car, and never while driving so it has all the correct symptoms.

Thankfully I have a good friend who is a tech at Nissan where I got my car. I texted him asking if he has replaced any blocks due to this issue. I am going to check this tomorrow morning once I get to work. I will report on my findings tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No - I pushed the dealership to replace the car - It cost me $ 750 in which I negotiated free oil changes for the life of the car.

No - First car yes - Second car was diagnosed with coolant smell because of cracks within the block behind the timing chain.

I responded early on to your post because Nissan was reluctant to do anything - I pushed hard for the Gold warranty. Once granted I advised with a post so that others could purse as well.

In summary I still like the car I'm just concerned with what will happen next.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by aguynamedpat
Hmm now I'm interested in this. I was standing outside my car (2010) the other night talking with a buddy and I noticed a similar noise at idle. Can't remember if it was more of a tapping or a knocking but there was definitely a noise. Car was warm because I just drove 20 minutes to his house after driving 5 hours from from vacation. He heard it too, and he is a gearhead. I never hear it inside the car, and never while driving so it has all the correct symptoms.

Thankfully I have a good friend who is a tech at Nissan where I got my car. I texted him asking if he has replaced any blocks due to this issue. I am going to check this tomorrow morning once I get to work. I will report on my findings tomorrow.
There is a TSB concerning this so he may have done the bearing as opposed to the entire block.

A lot of dealers are saying this is normal, there are some videos of the knock , if it sounds like them chances are you have it.

Mine went away in gear
Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 PM

No - I pushed the dealership to replace the car - It cost me $ 750 in which I negotiated free oil changes for the life of the car.

No - First car yes - Second car was diagnosed with coolant smell because of cracks within the block behind the timing chain.

I responded early on to your post because Nissan was reluctant to do anything - I pushed hard for the Gold warranty. Once granted I advised with a post so that others could purse as well.

In summary I still like the car I'm just concerned with what will happen next.

Two different 2012 Maxima's with bad motors ? I would contact Nissan consumer and tell them your story and ask for a buy back.

I basically asked for the Gold warranty and they granted 7 years, I pushed very little and got 8/100.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 01-17-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 AM

Where did you hear this? Is the knock gone with the long block? I have had a short block replacement and the knock returned after about 3 months. Upon returning, the dealer now says the same noise that required engine replacement previously, is now normal. The mechanic's attitude was, "I put a new engine in... what else do you want. There's nothing wrong..." I'm fighting with Nissan corporate to get a Nissan engineer to come diagnose the knock... if I get that to happen, I will insist on a long block. I was wondering where you heard this so I might use it with my argument against Nissan.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
So Nissan bought your car first back or gave you a new one ?

Did both cars have the engine knock ?

I started this thread, my short block was replaced on my 2013 at about 4K miles but I only asked for the Gold Warranty.

I since traded the car, I got the sense I could have got more as they gave me the warranty without any hassle.

My car had a host of other issues also, mainly interior rattles and a couple things that didn't work from the factory, Ebrake light and cell charger.

It also had moisture ( fog not water) in the rear tail lamp after washing but I was told this was normal.

After 4k miles i had enough.

I fail to see how a defective seal at the lamp is normal. I do not know of any other make cars that have this problem. After a while corrosion will set in the electrical parts of the tail light causing issues down the line..
Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wouldn't accept this push for a new car. I was advised by the dealership mechanic.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by silberma
I fail to see how a defective seal at the lamp is normal. I do not know of any other make cars that have this problem. After a while corrosion will set in the electrical parts of the tail light causing issues down the line..
The exterior lamps on our 7th Gen are not hermetically sealed. This is not a flaw but rather how they were originally designed. So ... I suppose it is a design flaw, but I SUSPECT it was intentional to better disperse heat.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 AM

I wouldn't accept this push for a new car. I was advised by the dealership mechanic.

Good luck & keep us posted.
So the mechanic at your dealership told you to go for a new car ?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No - The mechanic told me they are no longer doing short block replacements, they are now preforming complete engine replacements. I'm sure the dealerships were milking this and charging Nissan a lot of labor costs.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 PM

No - The mechanic told me they are no longer doing short block replacements, they are now preforming complete engine replacements. I'm sure the dealerships were milking this and charging Nissan a lot of labor costs.
Warranty work is paid at a flat rate by Nissan, hours and price are set.

How the mechanic knows what Nissan is doing all over the country I have no idea.

Short blocks are on back order so I saw where one guy was able to get a long block with less wait time.

I guess going forward we'll see what people here report

Hopefully someone files a class action soon
Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM

I've worked in the Automotive Industry for 18+ years, in this case I can predict that Nissan now wants to do a full analysis on the defective engines, they lose that control and highly valuable info by allowing the dealers to open up the engines & make repairs themselves.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by KGMtech
I've worked in the Automotive Industry for 18+ years, in this case I can predict that Nissan now wants to do a full analysis on the defective engines, they lose that control and highly valuable info by allowing the dealers to open up the engines & make repairs themselves.

I saw stories here and on other forums of Nissan actually sending reps out to see the motors. People were reporting this back in 2010 and being told it was normal. Some are still being told it's normal today.

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ormal-not.html

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...ping-idle.html

Since Nissan recognized the problem and the TSB replace the bearing was released ( Sept 2012) over a year ago I find it odd that all of a sudden they want to see the motors. My guess is the problem is so widespread since the TSB ( harder for dealers to say it's normal now) that Nissan finds it cheaper to send the long block if indeed that is what they are doing.

This post was made 7 months before the TSB was released

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...ine-knock.html

Even Nissan doesn't say it's just a bad apple. They are looking at who assembled the car and the lot # of the bearings to identify other Maxima's that may have the same problem. It could be a supplier providing a bad run of bearings or the engine not being properly torqued at assembly or a multitude of other problems, that's what they want to know. If I had a new car that had a knocking sound, I would take that very seriously, they should NOT knock and ignoring the problem may just push it outside of your warranty period. I would not recommend buying a Maxima until they identify what is causing this total engine failure. I have read other people posting complaints about knocking on other sites and dealers blowing them off. My car was running fine and even the MPG was normal and it may have been OK for some time, but eventually the engine would have failed and I may have been stuck for the repair. A new Maxima short block is $8,000 according to the dealer and that's in the crate, not in the car.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 12-04-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There is a TSB concerning this so he may have done the bearing as opposed to the entire block.

A lot of dealers are saying this is normal, there are some videos of the knock , if it sounds like them chances are you have it.

Mine went away in gear
Mine does not go away in any gear. It is faint though I'm not sure if it's the bearing or not to be honest. I'll get a video up shortly.

When I talked to my buddy I referenced the TSB. He said he has not done any of those jobs. Also sent me a pic of the TSB and it specifically says on there "Do not replace the engine for this issue." He said no way in hell he would want just the bearing replaced if it were him. He would want the whole block.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Mine does not go away in any gear. It is faint though I'm not sure if it's the bearing or not to be honest. I'll get a video up shortly.

When I talked to my buddy I referenced the TSB. He said he has not done any of those jobs. Also sent me a pic of the TSB and it specifically says on there "Do not replace the engine for this issue." He said no way in hell he would want just the bearing replaced if it were him. He would want the whole block.
I'm sure you did this but make sure the car is warm, others reported their noise did not go away in gear either but mine did. My car had under 4,000 miles so maybe there was less damage to mine when it was diagnosed, just a guess.

I had my block replaced, the TSB is on page one of this thread.

I'm guessing Nissan had more issues replacing the bearing and decided to replace the motor now.

The dealers call the Nissan helpline and they tell the dealership how to proceed with the repair.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 12-04-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here it is. Drove 30 mins home from work and pulled it in the garage. Noise is still there but not as loud as others. Thoughts?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:53 PM

Here it is. Drove 30 mins home from work and pulled it in the garage. Noise is still there but not as loud as others. Thoughts?

Warm idle - YouTube

I heard some people say the noise is better heard under the car.

So when you put your car in Drive the engine noise stays the same ?

I don't hear an obvious knock like some of the other videos.

Maybe others can chime in
Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ya that sounds just like mine which does not sound like others who have a distinct knock sound.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I heard some people say the noise is better heard under the car.

So when you put your car in Drive the engine noise stays the same ?

I don't hear an obvious knock like some of the other videos.

Maybe others can chime in
Yeah I had the wife put it in reverse, neutral and drive and the noise stayed the same.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Yep. Mine sounds like that too. I took the car by the closest dealer and asked the service advisor to look up the TSB... He came back and said that there was no information on the TSB...???
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Newmax2011
Yep. Mine sounds like that too. I took the car by the closest dealer and asked the service advisor to look up the TSB... He came back and said that there was no information on the TSB...???
Odd I have a copy of the first page of the TSB on my phone that my buddy sent...

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps209166ea.jpg

Name:  20131204_080500_zps209166ea.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  55.2 KB

Last edited by aguynamedpat; 12-04-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Newmax2011
What video does your car sound like ? Some videos posted here have an engine knock and some do not so you may be OK depending on which video you are referring to.

The TSB is on the first page of this thread. What year is your car ? The TSB says 2009 - 2012 so if it's a 2013 and he searched via year it won't show up. 2013's built until at least November 2012 ( my cars build date) can have the issue.

TSB # is NTB12-071 released 9/11/2012
Old 12-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Angry knock update

Here is my update to my previous post regarding my 2010 Max main bearing. They replaced the long block, yea, My Consumer Affairs agent contacted me to say they have no additional warranty coverage for me. I held her on the phone for 30 min trying to plead my case and concerns with no luck. I ask her for a letter stating my case or an e-mail with their decision but she said they can't do that. I then ask to be connected to legal but she told me I would need an attorney who would have to contact the legal team. I'm very disappointing with nissan but very satisfied with my dealer. I have been a very loyal Nissan owner but have decided to fire Nissan and move forward. I'm working on the dealership to buy back my Max, 34 days in the shop on my 3rd payment and I'm concerned with everything that can go wrong with such a major repair job. Nissan Consumer Affairs lost a customer, I was shopping for a Pathfinder but heading to Dodge to check out the Durango.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by cjgunne
I was shopping for a Pathfinder but heading to Dodge to check out the Durango.
Oh no not Chrysler!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:06 PM

Was you car still under the 3/36 warranty ?

They may be only offering the warranty on newer cars and/or original owners.

Wow, your 3rd payment, too bad you didn't find out about this problem earlier, were you a member of this forum before you bought the car ?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM

Wow, your 3rd payment, too bad you didn't find out about this problem earlier, were you a member of this forum before you bought the car ?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam
I should have asked if he read the forum before he bought as I glanced over this forum ( Infiniti and 4th gen Max) for years when I had my I30 and never joined
Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That might be true, I still have factory warranty to 60,000, I was not a member prior to purchase I found this forum while searching this issue. If Nissan backs up their product they should give me up to 100,000 for my troubles. Who knows what types of future problems could pop up over this. replacing a motor is a big job with plenty of things to go wrong
Old 12-07-2013, 01:12 AM

So should i not buy a 7th Gen??? I'm coming back from a deployment and i been wanting one before i left for deployment but didnt make sense to buy a new car if i wouldnt be around to drive it. I been reading the forums and it doesnt seem like a good idea since of the problems ya'll are talking about

Last edited by reice23; 12-07-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 AM

I have been debating that myself but have decided to go for it. 1) I have to believe that the vast majority of 7th Gen's do not have this issue. A forum such as this can tend to magnify such a problem and make it appear much more common than it really is. 2) Nissan knows about this issue and "hopefully" has made sure that the 2014's do not have it. 3) New vehicle warranty covers me if there are issues. 4) I really want another Maxima. I have had my 98SE for 15 years and it has been a great car. 5) Regardless of what you buy there is some risk involved. Rather take my chances with this than with a Chrysler.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Maybe i should have reworded my post i plan on buying a used 2012/2013. My researching abilities are minimal since im still on deployment and internet is slower than dial-up if thats even possible lol
Old 12-07-2013, 08:48 AM

The OP, 13Maximasv, seems to feel that if the vehicle makes it to 30K miles without an issue it should be OK. If you buy it used CPO you should still have a few years coverage on the powertrain

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems