7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting way to prevent high speed driving...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM

If you follow that link and read the text on the page you will discover the following:

Along with rain, snow or ice comes the need for extra grip. The standard Traction Control System can sense a front-wheel spin and responds by instantly reducing throttle to help you regain grip and put you back on more solid footing.

So yes, VDC controls the throttle as well.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Lol. Yes of course it controls throttle but it does not have anything to do with pulling throttle at 85mph. My point sorry to confuse.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 PM

yes, your point is valid. TCS won't cause throttling at 85mph. I was just curious to see if TCS/VDC is the reason some people see it throttling between 0-40mph
Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM

Things got a little weird there for a moment.
Nissan considers this car a premium sports sedan. That doesn't mean they have no right to tune it however they see fit.
As for the rest of it, I played around today on the tollways and had no problem getting up to speeds that I defend people for attaining. I noticed no lag past 80 whatsoever with my foot to the floor. My car just keeps pulling at near red line.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2012maximaS
yes, your point is valid. TCS won't cause throttling at 85mph. I was just curious to see if TCS/VDC is the reason some people see it throttling between 0-40mph
The factory tune no matter if TCS is off or not does not allow full throttle until 40mph. I have monitored this. And it never sees 100% throttle as stated by someone else here.
Also it runs pig rich at WOT and doesn't run much timing full advance.
Bottom line the car is very de-tuned from the factory more than most cars I'd say.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:27 PM

So it sounds like your options are: to tune it, or sell and buy another car.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jig9798
I'm actually really curious as to what the top speed of our cars is. I've been to 125 mph on a private road.

I know there s a police chase of reportedly 130 mph but I'm skeptical of that report.

Anyone else have top speeds?
That chase was covered here on this board - just happened a week or two ago. There were lots of police cars and helicopters involved, covered two counties, and the consensus was that the perps in the Max reached speeds OVER 130 MPH.

But I wasn't there, and just watched it on TV. The police, patrolmen and helicopters could have been wrong. It is sometimes difficult to be sure how fast a car is actually moving in a car chase.

Edit - When the 7th gens first came out back in '08, there were a few here who took their Maximas to the track. 'Word on the street' had been that Nissan had limited the 7th gen to 146 MPH. But those testing their Maxima at the track said they were not able to reach that speed. They said theirs were topping out in the 130s, but rode fairly comfortably at that speed.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 01-22-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:02 PM

Maximam asked:
Then why do the Germans decide 155mph is a good place to limit with their four door "family" sedans?

My response:
Fairly simple: The autobahn system is designed for very high speed travel, and is usually not overly crowded. American interstate highways are not designed for very high speed travel, usually have speed limits between 55 and 75 MPH, and are often filled with vehicles that are not designed for very high speed travel being driven by drivers that do not know how to handle cars at very high speeds.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
That chase was covered here on this board - just happened a week or two ago. There were lots of police cars and helicopters involved, covered two counties, and the consensus was that the perps in the Max reached speeds OVER 130 MPH. But I wasn't there, and just watched it on TV. The police, patrolmen and helicopters could have been wrong. It is sometimes difficult to be sure how fast a car is actually moving in a car chase. Edit - When the 7th gens first came out back in '08, there were a few here who took their Maximas to the track. 'Word on the street' had been that Nissan had limited the 7th gen to 146 MPH. But those testing their Maxima at the track said they were not able to reach that speed. They said theirs were topping out in the 130s, but rode fairly comfortably at that speed.
146 is not too shabby.

When I hit 125 mph it was still going strong but I let up because of road conditions. I know I could of hit 130.

I suspect the reports from this are over embellished.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM

I have definitely been over 130 not by much maybe 132 at the most. That day it had no problems other days it starts to crawl at 125
Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
So it sounds like your options are: to tune it, or sell and buy another car.
IF your directing that comment to me Ghozt. I like this car, it's a great daily roller.
Just like you I really like this car and will be getting a tune as soon as I find a tuner that will do it for less than $1000.

I know the short comings of it and will mod it till I'm satisfied. I'm a "car guy" as most of us here are.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Racerbox77
I don't know what that link is as it's not pulling anything up related to this thread.

My point and I am certain is:
The TCS does not effect if the throttle is pulled back to 40% at 85mph or not. Ive tested it on and off and both times throttle is cut.
That is correct! TCS pulls throttle when it senses "slip" not speed.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 PM

That chase was covered here on this board - just happened a week or two ago. There were lots of police cars and helicopters involved, covered two counties, and the consensus was that the perps in the Max reached speeds OVER 130 MPH.

But I wasn't there, and just watched it on TV. The police, patrolmen and helicopters could have been wrong. It is sometimes difficult to be sure how fast a car is actually moving in a car chase.

Edit - When the 7th gens first came out back in '08, there were a few here who took their Maximas to the track. 'Word on the street' had been that Nissan had limited the 7th gen to 146 MPH. But those testing their Maxima at the track said they were not able to reach that speed. They said theirs were topping out in the 130s, but rode fairly comfortably at that speed.
I have not personally verified myself but the big magazines agree its limited at 132mph.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam
I have not personally verified myself but the big magazines agree its limited at 132mph.
Well I have personally reached that but I could swear I remember seeing somebody claim they got close to 140. Could have been down hill so who knows.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Maximam asked:
Then why do the Germans decide 155mph is a good place to limit with their four door "family" sedans?

My response:
Fairly simple: The autobahn system is designed for very high speed travel, and is usually not overly crowded. American interstate highways are not designed for very high speed travel, usually have speed limits between 55 and 75 MPH, and are often filled with vehicles that are not designed for very high speed travel being driven by drivers that do not know how to handle cars at very high speeds.

These German cars are driven in America, not the autobahn. So you're saying Nissan's 130 mph number is the speed American roads are designed for? I think not.

You said:

"Nissan also limits the Maxima to somewhere between 130 MPH and 140 MPH top cruising speed because the car is designed as a family sedan with a sporting edge, not an ultra-high speed vehicle that would give cage protection to the driver and passengers in a high speed accident."

The BMW 5 series is a family sedan with a sporting edge, sold to Americans and driven on American soil in big numbers. The limiter has nothing to do with our roads vs their roads. The Corvette ZR1 sees speeds over 200mph and rarely sees an autobahn and is American as apple pie. Again, whether a limiter is set at 99mph or 155mph has nothing to do with our roads.

I'll tell you the reason for MOST vehicle speed limiters and it has nothing to do with the occupants the manufacture thinks will occupy the vehicle or if the design had a "sporty" edge. The most common reason for limiters are the tires that meets the road. Add stability and reliability concerns and you have limiters.

Last edited by Maximam; 01-22-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM

Actually, german brands limit their speeds to 155 because they all agreed that was the number. Seriously.
What's hilarious is comparing BMW and Mercedes to Nissan's Maxima. But I digress.
The likely reason Nissan limits where it limits is because (and this is going to shock you) they want to. It probably has something to do with safety, engineering, and avoiding damage.
The Maxima IS NOT a sports car. It WAS marketed as a Four Door Sports Car, but that should tell you something (i.e., that it isn't a sports car, but a sporty car). A sports car is, generally, a small two seat, two door vehicle designed for nimble handling and brisk performance. The Maxima isn't small. Has 5 seats. Has 4 doors. And is designed for brisk performance (we can debate the nimble handling thing another time).
I'm sorry if you bought the marketing hype and believe the Maxima is the same as a BMW 5 series, Ford Mustang, S2000, Porsche, Mercedes. It isn't. It's a very quick, upscale family sedan. It is not meant for the track. It is not meant to hit autobahn speeds.
It is likely limited to prevent damage to the motor and CVT as well as be safe to drive for the average person.
I'm a car guy. I love driving quickly and have enjoyed a host of fun cars. If you wanted a track car that could hit 150, why didn't you buy an Infinity G37?
Seems to me that we're arguing over a really silly concept - the car you bought isn't a track car. It wasn't designed to be a track car. Nissan makes a great track car already - it's the 370Z.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jeffislouie
Nissan makes a great track car already - it's the 370Z.
It's actually called the GTR.

Last edited by Jig9798; 01-27-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jig9798
It's actually called the GTR.
Let's just agree that the Z and the GTR are both track cars.
One some of us can afford, one we can merely salivate about.
Fun fact: while waiting for my Max to be prepped, my dad and I sat in the showroom, walking laps around the GTR. Love it. Someone who lives by me owns one. Every so often, I see him driving around in it. Even in the snow.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by jeffislouie
Actually, german brands limit their speeds to 155 because they all agreed that was the number. Seriously.
What's hilarious is comparing BMW and Mercedes to Nissan's Maxima. But I digress.
The likely reason Nissan limits where it limits is because (and this is going to shock you) they want to. It probably has something to do with safety, engineering, and avoiding damage.
The Maxima IS NOT a sports car. It WAS marketed as a Four Door Sports Car, but that should tell you something (i.e., that it isn't a sports car, but a sporty car). A sports car is, generally, a small two seat, two door vehicle designed for nimble handling and brisk performance. The Maxima isn't small. Has 5 seats. Has 4 doors. And is designed for brisk performance (we can debate the nimble handling thing another time).
I'm sorry if you bought the marketing hype and believe the Maxima is the same as a BMW 5 series, Ford Mustang, S2000, Porsche, Mercedes. It isn't. It's a very quick, upscale family sedan. It is not meant for the track. It is not meant to hit autobahn speeds.
It is likely limited to prevent damage to the motor and CVT as well as be safe to drive for the average person.
I'm a car guy. I love driving quickly and have enjoyed a host of fun cars. If you wanted a track car that could hit 150, why didn't you buy an Infinity G37?
Seems to me that we're arguing over a really silly concept - the car you bought isn't a track car. It wasn't designed to be a track car. Nissan makes a great track car already - it's the 370Z.
I am not sure your responding to me but if you are I will respond.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Maximam
I am not sure your responding to me but if you are I will respond.
I'm responding to the general arguments made on this thread. Sort of a mixed bag of everyone's discussion. Not you in particular, but the more generalized you of the people contributing to the discussion.

Personally, I don't care what you or anyone else does with their car. It's really none of my business. All I'm saying is that people have a tendency to think the car is a sports car and they have a right to do what they want with it without warranty issues popping up. That's just not the case.

Certain modifications are protected. Track days are "abuse" as defined by automakers. So if your car is damaged at the track, they will not cover warranty claims, which is why most people who track their cars don't admit the damage was done at a track. But that's fraud and I don't advise folks to commit fraud.

No argumentation here. Just sayin'.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM

i was thinking if turning etc off turns off cruise control would those be the same system? so if u pulled the cruise control fuse would that disable the whole throttle control system since they both seem to be linked together?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Red4drSE
i was thinking if turning etc off turns off cruise control would those be the same system? so if u pulled the cruise control fuse would that disable the whole throttle control system since they both seem to be linked together?
That's a good point and I'm wondering that too, but at the same time......

It can't be that easy.. Can it??
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM

Are you saying that turning off the traction control disables the cruise? If so it doesn't.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 AM

no im saying that when you turn etc off it also disables cruise control...my guess was if you pull the cruise control fuse would that disable the throttle control system. They seem to be linked in the same system since when you turn one part of the throttle control system off other things involved with throttle control gets disabled also.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 PM

no im saying that when you turn etc off it also disables cruise control...my guess was if you pull the cruise control fuse would that disable the throttle control system. They seem to be linked in the same system since when you turn one part of the throttle control system off other things involved with throttle control gets disabled also.
Forgive my ignorance but what is etc? Thought it was traction control.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Forgive my ignorance but what is etc? Thought it was traction control.
yes I believe ETC stands for Electronic Traction Control. Traction Control is just what people know it as.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 PM

at least one person in the FB group who has disabled their ETC with Uprev over the past month is now in the shop needing a new transmission. just a quick update folks, dont dog your cars..
Old 02-28-2014, 05:28 PM

I say try it but I'm guessing you'll just lose your cruise control. Update us when you find out.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 PM

the guy that told me about turning etc off said if you do that be sure to install a big trans cooler because its going to get hot. For those who didn't know..yes its electronic throttle control...it pulls throttle after 80mph and it keeps going down the faster you go. If you turn it off it goes to a true 100 percent throttle and it does not go down as speed goes up. When I was stock I did 14.2@99mph...when I did intake/ypipe/exhaust/29k btu trans cooler I ran 14.1@99mph. My mph is capped because when I run down the track it pulls good but around the 1/8 mile I feel the car start to soften the pull and it slowly starts to soften more and more as speed is reaching 100mph. My 1/8 mph is 79mph stock and with said mods is still 79mph...same conditions and track. The car needs a tune and etc turned off. I don't have the money at the moment to get the uprev and tune it (son needs a bracket for his teeth for braces down the road) but after that im going to put away for uprev and a tune. One other mod im going to do before the tune is the IMG (intake manifold gasket). When I get this done ill update on the results. I don't have a maxima (07 Altima 3.5se) but my config is pretty much the same as the 7th gen maxima...vq+cvt lol
Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 AM

at least one person in the FB group who has disabled their ETC with Uprev over the past month is now in the shop needing a new transmission. just a quick update folks, dont dog your cars..
Wow that's scary
Old 03-01-2014, 04:30 AM

Ahhh. You mean the electronic throttle control in the tune not the Electronic traction control button on the dash.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:58 PM

I don't think turning etc off is what killed his transmission lol..but yes you beat the **** out of anything is just asking for trouble. The key with these cars is to keep the transmission cool because they do get hot and the factory cooler is junk. So any mods or anything to this car a trans cooler is a must.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 PM

turning ETC off is what allowed him to kill the transmission because he said he was brake-launching and chasing people around going 160mph. you cant do either of those things really with the throttle limited to 40%. Nissan isn't covering anything since ETC was disabled.

the throttle control is there to keep you guys from destroying the transmission, however, feel free to entertain yourselves and test it out. dont say others didnt warn you.

Last edited by Ghozt; 03-02-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 AM

turning ETC off is what allowed him to kill the transmission because he said he was brake-launching and chasing people around going 160mph. you cant do either of those things really with the throttle limited to 40%. Nissan isn't covering anything since ETC was disabled. the throttle control is there to keep you guys from destroying the transmission, however, feel free to entertain yourselves and test it out. dont say others didnt warn you.
Is there anyways to get it above 40% though? Say 50-65% or is either on at 40% and off at 100%??
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 AM

well sounds like his actions is what killed it..with it off or on wont prevent someones bad choices on what they do..hell I could kill my trans right now with it on lol...let me go out there right now and power brake off the stall over and over again and netural drop from 6000 rpms..bet your *** that trans would blow up from me doing that haha..so with it turned on wont do **** if I did those things. I know a guy with his turned off and he don't have any issues but he is not stupid like that guy you know and drives his car like an idiot =P
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 AM

Any way to turn it off (throttle cut) without a tune would be great.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM

You can skew the voltage but the end result is still damage.

Spain has a car company called "Seat" it is owned by "VW". The Seat cupra was easily modifiable with a simple resistor. It just skewed the voltage to fool the ECM. The end results were all very much the same, engine or transmission destruction. Europeans have a need to go fast, if you get rear-ended in the ultra fast lane on the autobahn its your fault for being in the persons way. Anyway, they would mod their cars because the ETC limit was set to0 low.

If you mod the ETC then just make sure your keeping that CVT nice and cool. In Europe ETC mods and Transmission shift mods are very common coming back to America nobody seems to dabble in this dark art as much.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM

well sounds like his actions is what killed it..with it off or on wont prevent someones bad choices on what they do..hell I could kill my trans right now with it on lol...let me go out there right now and power brake off the stall over and over again and netural drop from 6000 rpms..bet your *** that trans would blow up from me doing that haha..so with it turned on wont do **** if I did those things. I know a guy with his turned off and he don't have any issues but he is not stupid like that guy you know and drives his car like an idiot =P
correct. people have blown theirs transmission with it on, so yeah its mostly driving habits. knowing WHY people would disable ETC though, it generally indicates they're gonna start driving the car pretty hard so...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM

I'm game. Let's figure this voltage skew out. Not hard to install a large trans cooler.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:20 PM

I'm game. Let's figure this voltage skew out. Not hard to install a large trans cooler.
Doesn't seem too hard but just make sure it doesn't void your tranny warranty because apparently the car throws a code that does not pop up on the dash if the fluid pressure gets too low and this can happen due to the sourcing of fluid to the cooler

Quick Reply: Interesting way to prevent high speed driving...