7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09/10 SV Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

09/10 SV Purchase

Hey Everyone.
I have what I hope is a pretty simple question to answer. I am beginning the search for my next Maxima and want to know how to quickly determine the option packages on the Sport and Premium model. Right now, I am not sure if I want the Sport or Premium, I just know I want the Technology package on either. Is there an easy way to look at the pictures posted on Autotrader or Cars.com and determine if the car is equipped with the Sport Technology or Premium Technology Package? If I understand the option packages correctly, I need to look for more than a navigation picture or a backup camera picture since the Nav or the backup camera can be added as stand alone options. I never trust what options the dealers list as being on a used car. I want to see proof in the pictures before I drive to look at a car.

Thanks for the help!!

Edit --Sorry, I should have been clearer. I know the difference between the Sport and Premium versions. It is the Technology package I am trying to figure out. I want the Technology package on either the Sport or Premium. How can I visually tell it has the technology package and not just a backup camera or just the navigation option? I want to make sure it has the entire technology package.

Last edited by Pauls 98 SE; 02-10-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 AM

The sport package has 19inch rims, OEM trunk spoiler and paddle shifters and will never have the black too glass panoramic sunroofs. The premium comes with 18 inch rims, not trunk spoiler (although many dealerships and owners add one as its a cheap and easy accessory) to determine if the spoiler is stock from the assembly line look for on 3rd brake light on the spoiler ONLY. If the car has two 3rd brake lights(one on the spoiler and one in the rear windshield deck where the speakers are) then it's most likely a premium. Also, most premiums don't come with paddle shifters I believe.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 AM

The premium package has the larger panoramic sunroof and wood grain trim. The sport has a carbon fiber trim and I believe the headlights are different. They've got more black in um. And if you're deciding between an 09 and a 10, I'd do my best to get a 10. The 09's music connection is the old iPhone 3GS 30-pin connection. Which means it won't charge an iphone 4 or later, and won't connect with an iphone 5 or later (the adapters don't seem to always work for people either, steering wheel controls don't work). And you're SOL if you have an android phone. The 2010 used a standard USB connection instead, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can stream via bluetooth as well with the 10. If you don't use a phone to play music anyway, might not matter, but inconvenient enough that I would have got a 10 if I had it to do over again.

Last edited by JakeOfAllTrades; 02-10-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:05 AM

I have an 09 premiun with the panoramic roof and it does have the paddle shifters
Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 AM

I was considering premium and sport and went with the sport due to concerns about rattles and build quailty of the panoramic roof. That roof just will not be a solid as a normal one. Although I will say that it looks sharp I figured a normal sunroof is safer and less likely to have issues.

Regardless which model you get check your climate controlled driver seat closely. Seems that the seat bottom never heats up on many if not all of them. Pretty disappointing in the cold weather.

I came from a 98SE and must say that the old ones, built in Japan, were much better quailty.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-10-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM

I have a 2010 SV with the Sport/Technology packages. It has all the features like the others have stated. I personally have not had a problem with my heated seat but my heated steering wheel will cut off after a few mins.

Things I like are the rear privacy shade, the 9.3 gig hard drive, being able to stream music from my android phone, the powered center console jack and the ipod connector.

Things I don't really like are the rear a/c & radio controls, and the fact that the rear seat does not fold down. (non folding rear seat is because of the full glass roof). I also wish that I could open the trunk when the doors are unlocked without having to have the key in my pocket.

This is my 3rd Maxima and 4th Nissan vehicle, (2010 Murano LE) overall I like the car but I may end up going back to the Murano or the Infiniti line of small SUV's.

One more thing I forgot, having the full glass roof also negates you from being able to use a roof rack. And as for the rattles, I noticed them a lot at first because I was conscious of the glass roof but its no longer an issue for me. The car is quiet and handles great.

Last edited by Maxgig; 02-10-2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add information
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM

So let me try this a different way. Can someone with a Sport model equipped with Technology package post a pic of their center console/radio area?
Can someone with a Premium model with the Technology package post a pic of the center console/radio area?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 PM

As Info, the only two things in the Tech package that are not already in the Premium package are the 9.3GB Hard Drive Music Box and the Hard Drive Navigation System.

I have the Premium and Tech package. There is a big round **** in the center of my dash column right up against the bottom of the display screen. Just to the left of that big button are two columns with three buttons each. The buttons in the column nearest the left edge of the big button read 'DEST', 'ROUTE', and 'MAP.' I may be misguided, but I would think such buttons would only be there as part of the Navigation package, which is only available as part of the Technology package.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-11-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:25 PM

If it has navigation it has the tech package, plain and simple. You'll have a better chance of being hit by lightning than stumbling across a max where someone went to the trouble to install just a center stack aftermarket nav into a non-tech vehicle.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM

Tech Package

Hello yall I'm new to this forum but very old to the import scene. My wife works for a dealer and she stated that a Tech Package can be installed on any trim level. Sports and Premium can both contain paddle shifters. Paddle shifters can be installed if the Maxima didn't come with them. I guess the CVT is all electrically controlled anyway. You may not even use the paddles if you have them unless you like driving track. Other than that the VQ35DE is in 09 and above so you will at least have the piece of mind that your riding a solid engine.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
If it has navigation it has the tech package, plain and simple. You'll have a better chance of being hit by lightning than stumbling across a max where someone went to the trouble to install just a center stack aftermarket nav into a non-tech vehicle.
Hmmm. When I was doing the research narrowing my selection of cars to the Maxima, I read on several sites like Cars.com and Edmunds that you could order the Nav as a stand alone option. If it is as simple as you say, that would make it easy for me.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pauls 98 SE
Hmmm. When I was doing the research narrowing my selection of cars to the Maxima, I read on several sites like Cars.com and Edmunds that you could order the Nav as a stand alone option. If it is as simple as you say, that would make it easy for me.
It was the whole tech package as an option.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:39 PM

Tech Package

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.. Dealership can order and install the package after purchase on new and used. You will pay dealership prices but if your vehicle has a warranty of any type you will still retain that with a dealer install. If you have no warranty then you could install it yourself. I find the Tech package for sale all the time locally and on ebay. You also should consider that the dealership may charge you for a firmware update if you buy certain models. Unlocking the Nav units and OEM units with a dealer code can cost you some $ too. It really does boil down to the dealership and how they conduct their service. On a side note my Maxima is just Premium with no other packages and it has the regular bluetooth and cd changer I'm satisfied with it. My wifes new Murano has the Tech Package and she hardly uses it and she pays $100 a year for the XM service. She turns the music down all the way anyway when she drives. I feel that I wasted some money buying the Tech Package.