7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UpREV's comment to my torque management question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

UpREV's comment to my torque management question

The Maxima is pretty mod unfriendly when compared to other options out there. Here is what UpREV says to a local tuner about torque management:

If you switch "Torque management" under settings to OFF, the cruise control will be disabled. Honestly though, I don't know ANYONE that runs with this set to off. It makes the throttle way too touchy and completely unstable. This setting was our original work around for the "brake pedal mod" where the throttle would not open all the way when the brake pedal was pressed. We've since come up with a better solution for this. I think we'll remove that old setting all together in the near future.
It sounded to me though like that wasn't even what the customer was looking for. It sounded to me like he wanted to make sure that he was getting WOT from a dead stop which is another issue all together, and I'm fairly sure it doesn't even effect his vehicle. I'm pretty sure the Maxima already gets WOT from a dead stop. The best way to tell is to log speed, accelerator position, and throttle position, then overlay the throttle and accelerator charts. If the throttle is going to 100% when the accelerator is at 100% then there is no issue (fairly sure that will be the case for this customer).
If he does have the WOT limitation like the early Zs and Gs did, then it's the ETC table that will need tweaking. It may be possible to simply copy the UpRev tuned table from a Z ROM, but if that doesn't do it then it will likely take a LOT of work to figure out what it needs. It took us WEEKS to get it right on the Z, and there isn't any good tuning technique to get that table dialed in. It reacts in strange ways to adjustments one way or the other.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam
The Maxima is pretty mod unfriendly when compared to other options out there. Here is what UpREV says to a local tuner about torque management:

If you switch "Torque management" under settings to OFF, the cruise control will be disabled. Honestly though, I don't know ANYONE that runs with this set to off. It makes the throttle way too touchy and completely unstable. This setting was our original work around for the "brake pedal mod" where the throttle would not open all the way when the brake pedal was pressed. We've since come up with a better solution for this. I think we'll remove that old setting all together in the near future.
It sounded to me though like that wasn't even what the customer was looking for. It sounded to me like he wanted to make sure that he was getting WOT from a dead stop which is another issue all together, and I'm fairly sure it doesn't even effect his vehicle. I'm pretty sure the Maxima already gets WOT from a dead stop. The best way to tell is to log speed, accelerator position, and throttle position, then overlay the throttle and accelerator charts. If the throttle is going to 100% when the accelerator is at 100% then there is no issue (fairly sure that will be the case for this customer).
If he does have the WOT limitation like the early Zs and Gs did, then it's the ETC table that will need tweaking. It may be possible to simply copy the UpRev tuned table from a Z ROM, but if that doesn't do it then it will likely take a LOT of work to figure out what it needs. It took us WEEKS to get it right on the Z, and there isn't any good tuning technique to get that table dialed in. It reacts in strange ways to adjustments one way or the other.
Your initial statement pretty much covered it....
Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 AM

O yeahh? ... ... but what does it all mean?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 PM

The car does not get 100,% throttle till 30mph or so and cuts to 50% @ 80. I've logged this with the Torque PRO app.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:49 PM

interesting...so you can adjust the ETC table if you find a tuner who feels like pouring time into it. sounds expensive.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
interesting...so you can adjust the ETC table if you find a tuner who feels like pouring time into it. sounds expensive.
Ya no thanks. I know how much normal dyno tuning costs, not interested in paying for an experiment.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by VVhite-0ut
O yeahh? ... ... but what does it all mean?
It means save your money and keep your mods limited to only the appearance and handling area.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:16 PM

So I was at the shop I go to today, PROs, getting my y-pipe slapped in, and I was talking with my buddy about how no one can tune the max. He is an uprev tuner, and he's like I'll make u a deal. I have credits left, first let me get it on the dyno and see what I can do about getting readings with the cvt. He said he will get the software for the 7th gen, and he is so comfident he can come up with a good tune, he won't charge me for anything unless it's a great success. What do you guys think? This shop does a lot of big dog turbo cars, here is their website. http://prostuning-net.webs.com
Old 03-28-2015, 11:07 AM

why even bother? just install the basics and be happy. I mean if you want more power then should have bought somethin other than a maxima.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 AM

true that, I actually drive like an old person most of the time since the max is like a luxury car. Well if someone else is in south Florida and wants to be tuned this place wants to tune a maxima. You are right tho I barley ever get on it in my car why take a chance of losing reliability.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by official_style
true that, I actually drive like an old person most of the time since the max is like a luxury car. Well if someone else is in south Florida and wants to be tuned this place wants to tune a maxima. You are right tho I barley ever get on it in my car why take a chance of losing reliability.
Get on it, have fun....it's a maxima
Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 AM

O I do occasiononally, but where I live it's like drive slow homie cruising land, unless it's on the 95 or turnpike
Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Racerbox77
The car does not get 100,% throttle till 30mph or so and cuts to 50% @ 80. I've logged this with the Torque PRO app.
Just flat out not true. None of it. From a dead 0mph, if you mash the pedal to the floor, it goes to WOT IMMEDIATELY. From a dead stop. It dials down to 44% throttle at 85mph.

Everyone has this crazy misconception that Nissan has to protect the weak, flimsy CVT at low speeds so the car limits throttle on take-off. Not true, not proven or pure outright falsification. Whichever the case, I've logged throttle data and I can only promise, if the pedal is on the floor, throttle is wide open, regardless of speed (up to 85mph).

Late,
Travis
Old 04-15-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
Just flat out not true. None of it. From a dead 0mph, if you mash the pedal to the floor, it goes to WOT IMMEDIATELY. From a dead stop. It dials down to 44% throttle at 85mph.

Everyone has this crazy misconception that Nissan has to protect the weak, flimsy CVT at low speeds so the car limits throttle on take-off. Not true, not proven or pure outright falsification. Whichever the case, I've logged throttle data and I can only promise, if the pedal is on the floor, throttle is wide open, regardless of speed (up to 85mph).

Late,
Travis
Wrong.