7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM air filter mod 7th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
Right, it is designed keep out water/debris but the the opening curves more to the side relative to the snorkel opening and has a couple vertical air deflectors molded in.
I actually modified mine by removing these deflectors to give the air a bit less restricted path into the opening. I did not hack anything from the forward facing inlet area as you still want to receive the air out in front of radiator/trans cores which are heat sources.
I have freeway driven through torrential downpours with no water ingestion issues.
The snorkel is above the grill not directly to the grill .. I ran my car thru heavy rain storm last week with no issues
Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by VVhite-0ut
I did the same thing for the ride to work this morning. Took off the 1st shield, then the arrow part all together. I didn't bother cutting it. Kinda looks like it stretches about the same anyway.

So I took a good listen on the way to work. Drove in D and messed with the paddles. I'll do the same for the ride home, but I'm going to put the arrow back in, and the shield back on top. And I'll report any differences.

Question, are you running with the top shield off, or on? And did you run it with the snorkel off at all?

EDIT** O and just 70mph? lol that's if I feel like taking my time...
I'm running the top shield on ... My 1st test I ran with no snorkel just to see and hear what it did .. It roared just like a short intake and it was snappy .. Today I got a reading of 21.7 .. Not bad
Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by 187max
Today I got a reading of 21.7 .. Not bad
Have you reset your Avg MPG tack, or is this a continuation prior to the mod?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:58 AM

The snorkel is above the grill not directly to the grill .. I ran my car thru heavy rain storm last week with no issues
Thanks....for telling me something I didn't say and I already know.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Dyno ?

Nothing beats a "Seat of The Pants" dyno.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:19 AM

Have you reset your Avg MPG tack, or is this a continuation prior to the mod?
Yes I did reset .. It's a great tool to have in a car ... Computer doesn't lie
Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Yes I did reset .. It's a great tool to have in a car ... Computer doesn't lie
Compute your gas mileage yourself. I bet it will be different than the "computer that doesn't lie".
Old 07-18-2014, 02:55 PM

I just do a hard reset on the ecu and it makes the computer more accurate reading (not just disconnecting the battery, actually doing the pressing the gas petal a million times process)

At least for what I've tested it is like driving your cvt brand new every time lol
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by GNCMaxima
I just do a hard reset on the ecu and it makes the computer more accurate reading (not just disconnecting the battery, actually doing the pressing the gas petal a million times process)

At least for what I've tested it is like driving your cvt brand new every time lol
What's the process? Is it the same for the 6th gen? I never tried it, and it's really tricky
Old 07-19-2014, 07:22 AM

Had a nice ride to work this morning with all the snorkel, cover, junk removed. Just the big opening for the stock intake... and I like it.

Enough said.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:23 PM

Ok guys I removed the snorkel and drove around to see what gas mileage I could get and the best I got was 18.6 .... The car got pep without it ... I put the snorkel back with 10 mins it went up 20.2 ... So it's the persons preference low end torque or better fuel mileage ... Where I live today it's 80 degrees .. I have to say I like the roaring sound
Old 07-20-2014, 02:44 PM

Had a nice ride to work this morning with all the snorkel, cover, junk removed. Just the big opening for the stock intake... and I like it.

Enough said.
Is this an airtight seal or is the filter just settled in there? With an intake cone it's clamped on so you have that seal, so was just curious.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
What's the process? Is it the same for the 6th gen? I never tried it, and it's really tricky
Its turn the car off
-Put the car ON (Dont start it) wait 3 seconds
-Next press the gas petal 5 times within 5 seconds (Make sure you hit the floor then release, floor then release, etc)
-Wait 7 seconds
-Hold the gas petal down for 10 second (until Engine light blinks)
-Let go and Hold the petal down again for 10 seconds (the Engine light will blink faster)
-Once you see the engine light do the slow and fast blink stage it will come to a complete stop (Within 3 seconds of stopping) Start the car and let it idle for 5 minutes.

There's a better way of explaining this somewhere on here but Im lazy lol

Also I was looking at this picture...Why does the intake need this part? I feel like the air just traps in this lube for no reason?

Name:  Remix_zpsf8a3d37c.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  118.7 KB
Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 PM

Its turn the car off
-Next press the gas petal 5 times within 5 seconds (Make sure you hit the floor then release, floor then release, etc)
-Wait 7 seconds
-Let go and Hold the petal down again for 10 seconds (the Engine light will blink faster)
-Once you see the engine light do the slow and fast blink stage it will come to a complete stop (Within 3 seconds of stopping) Start the car and let it idle for 5 minutes.

Also I was looking at this picture...Why does the intake need this part? I feel like the air just traps in this lube for no reason?

Thanks, so ya I think it's the same but couldn't remember the steps, I use to own a 6th gen and did it periodically to reset the ecu
Old 07-21-2014, 05:33 AM

Its turn the car off
-Wait 7 seconds

I wondered the same thing too but I'm sure it's something ingenious from Nissan that we're too dumb to figure out..
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Is this an airtight seal or is the filter just settled in there? With an intake cone it's clamped on so you have that seal, so was just curious.
Well the stock intake itself hasn't been messed with. The box, the clamps, the filter, all in tact. Simply just the snorkel to the grill is gone.

As I read your statement my heart fell to my feet because I instantly thought I could have an opening somewhere the filter wasn't. But it couldn't be. You don't have to touch the air filter box at all when removed the snorkel. The snorkel just slides in and out of the bottom of the box (which is underneath the filter). So I'm going to say it's as airtight as it was when it left factory.

Can't imagine there's anything wrong with that.

And 187Max... isn't the sound just awesome!? And doesn't it sound even BETTER everything time ya hear it and think to yourself... 'didn't even spend a penny'
Old 08-05-2014, 04:09 PM

Wish I would've done that😢. Save me $300 and an hour of work... But the after intakes look cooler😀
Old 08-05-2014, 04:25 PM

Any updates on this for the few that did it? Power gains? Loss? Mpg? Etc
Old 08-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Well the stock intake itself hasn't been messed with. The box, the clamps, the filter, all in tact. Simply just the snorkel to the grill is gone.

As I read your statement my heart fell to my feet because I instantly thought I could have an opening somewhere the filter wasn't. But it couldn't be. You don't have to touch the air filter box at all when removed the snorkel. The snorkel just slides in and out of the bottom of the box (which is underneath the filter). So I'm going to say it's as airtight as it was when it left factory.

And 187Max... isn't the sound just awesome!? And doesn't it sound even BETTER everything time ya hear it and think to yourself... 'didn't even spend a penny'
okay cool, yeah just want to make sure nothing can get around it.

if you want to make it a tiny bit louder, you can do a pcv resonator delete. the pcv resonator is that small black box connected to the small tube on the intake on the left side of the air filter box. just replace all the hosing with a longer hose and no box, all that basically does is reduce noise slightly.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 AM

I just garaged my car last friday as I'm getting the headlights done.

But my mpg's were higher than my avg. Now, I hadn't reset my avg since I got the car about 5 months ago. But they were 20.9 before, and 22.1 since. The noise though, idk if it's me but it's loud. The only problem now is, it looks like what it is. Stock, with something missing. Not eye appealing when showing off my stillen strut brace lol. Still, I'm happy with it. I'm sure i'll be dropping in a K&N filter and that's it.

How about you 187max?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 PM

You guys so silly!

The reason your MPG went up???

The Maxima is no different from any other vehicle on the road these days. It gots O2 sensors (well, actually, AFR or air-fuel ratio sensors). Not only that, but it has an IAT (intake air temp) sensor.

It's little silicone brain is programmed to monitor these things and adjust fuel injection accordingly. Think about it:

Hot air = less dense. Less dense = less mass by volume. Less mass of AIR means less mass of FUEL injected. Remember - the goal is to maintain that magical 14.7:1 stoichiometric ratio for cleanest burn (while in closed loop). EVERYTHING about precise fuel injection is aimed at maintaining a clean, pollution-free burn. Going WOT, or when engine is cold are different - don't care about maintaining stoich burn then. But open loop fuel injection is still based on the closed loop adjustments.

Soo....in essence...your car see's an ambient temp of 75 degrees and says "whatever...who cares" and then sees the intake air temp of 105 (or much hotter if idling) and says "YIKES...trim the fuel down - gotta keep my exhausties clean". Bottom line is - hot air is less dense (less mass per volume). The car knows this stuff, dude. For every 10 degrees F change, expect a 1% drop or gain in hp.

I have monitored it and will be glad to do it again with my bluetooth scanner....but I can only promise that with the snorkel removed, the intake temps go very high, even at a good steady cruise down the highway at 60-70mph. At idle, the temps go wicked high and it doesn't cool down like you think it does once you start rolling again.

It sounds cool. But the bottom line is the reason your fuel mileage is better is because it is injecting LESS FUEL. Think about that for a while. Your car is telling you something useful here. LESS FUEL does NOT mean MORE POWER.

Late,
Trav

Last edited by CorollaULEV; 08-11-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:29 PM

<sigh>
First of all, as an attorney, I'd advise you to be very careful about the speeds you ran and even more careful posting videos about it.
In my state, where the speed limit on most highways is still 55, you could have been charged with a class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months in jail and up to $1500 in fines (plus court costs). So try and be careful and check your local laws.
As for the "computer doesn't lie" - yes. Yes it does. Mine always shows 1 mpg higher than actual (at least).
Ds is slower than D. All the time.
And your runs don't seem to be appreciably faster than stock. I had a K&N on my Accord and thought my car was faster too. It was. But by less than a tenth of a second to 60.
If you like what you did, awesome. However, any power gain is either minimal (less than 5 hp) or only measurable by your ears and your butt.
I, for one, don't want to cut up my intake for very little difference. Especially because it's a lease. I'd rather pony up the bucks for a new intake, but I'd only do that if I was adding exhaust, which I won't do because it will make the car sound even weirder under acceleration. Different strokes, as they say...
Old 09-19-2014, 06:46 PM

Enough said .. No money spent and sounds like a $ 300 short intake and does the same performance
Old 09-19-2014, 06:55 PM

I just garaged my car last friday as I'm getting the headlights done.

But my mpg's were higher than my avg. Now, I hadn't reset my avg since I got the car about 5 months ago. But they were 20.9 before, and 22.1 since. The noise though, idk if it's me but it's loud. The only problem now is, it looks like what it is. Stock, with something missing. Not eye appealing when showing off my stillen strut brace lol. Still, I'm happy with it. I'm sure i'll be dropping in a K&N filter and that's it.

How about you 187max?
K&N filter can not go wrong .. I've been driving my car without the snorkel for quite some time and yesterday i put it back in after 1 hr driving I pulled over and took it back out .. I did notice the difference in power so I left it out
Old 09-25-2014, 10:21 AM

I took the snorkel off, than drove around for a few days.
MPG went down.
Sounds great though.

Last night I removed the rad cover and looked at how air gets into the system. I can't even see how any cool air possibly gets through the front end of the car. The duct to the grille is completely blocked off.
I removed the plastic piece that blocks the airflow and then sprayed some water directly into the grille.
Water went right into the engine bay.
It's my opinion that if left out, water will be ingested into the intake.
This is not a good thing.
I wanted to leave the piece out and bolt everything back up, but we get torrential rains here from time to time, not to mention wet snow.
Oh well back to stock intake.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Update

Anybody who has done this mod might want to take a look at their air filters.

I was messing around with the intake and noticed the air filter seems oily, or just dirtier in general. Upon further review I noticed it was an oily substance and it's specifically gathering on the left side of the box. Closer to the engine. I can see this is happening because of the tranny exhaust hose that ends pretty much at the front of the stock air intake box.

So if you've removed the snorkel all together, you'll most likely have this build up in the same specific spot.

Since I noticed, I've rotated the air filter and re installed the entire stock intake.

I have not driven it yet. But I can't even remember how it sounded or performed before this mod so I'm sure I'll notice a difference again. And I'll post once I do.

Again, if you've done this mod I'd suggest checking your air filters. Not saying this is a huge problem but it was concern enough for me to make a change for the time being.

187 how's yours looking?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM

Reporting back with the obvious. The roar is gone but the car feels better. More responsive. I'll be leaving the stock box all attached.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 PM

Also I was looking at this picture...Why does the intake need this part? I feel like the air just traps in this tube for no reason?

That is called a Helmholtz Chamber. It eliminates drone created by tube harmonics. Air isn't trapped there, but it stops the air from vibrating and making unwanted noise.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:18 PM

A whole lot of people put these short cone intakes on these cars ,, the only thing I don't like is that the engine is sucking up all the hot air under the hood and that's is a no no .. Heat kills your gas mileage and performance ... It looks good and sounds good ...car takes off at the low end torque but kills it at high end where fuel mileage drops .. I did a test and a mod ... First I removed the OEM snorkel and went for a test drive going up hill and on the flats .. Wow the results was amazing .. It pulled better making the car shift faster in Ds mode without hammering the car ... If you want that roaring sound without spending a dime that's the way to go ... It does the same as the short intake .. Remember it will suck in hot air ... I liked the performance but my theory is to get cold air to the engine , I was looking at the snorkel and I saw a restriction at the input tip by the grill .. I cut it right off assembled it and went for a test drive ,, what difference .. It had the same performance as if it didn't have snorkel .. I
The faster I went the faster the response on the pedal and the shifting without beating the car up ... Now I have a forced air ram using stock OEM filter box. .. I took some pics and 1 video tested in Ds mode not manual shifting and can see how quick it accelerates without pushing it .. I only need to buy a K&N filter ... I'm happy with the results .. Now I have to figure out how to post the pics and 1 video ..
You are ecactly on-track. Hot air is less dense and makes less power....period. The BEST test would be to log MAF sensor reading when doint a WOT run with versus without the intake snorkel. I would guarantee that you will have lower mass airflow readings with snorkel removled because it is sucking hot air (meaning less power). I could post a video doing this and log the sensors, but people on the forum laugh at me when I use my Torque Pro app to do this because it is a cheap app and apparently reports incorrect data (according to some). I will find out and report back my inaccurate data. Wont take the time for posting videos though.