7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resonate delete on 7th gen max ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Resonate delete on 7th gen max ?

Guys I was thinking deleting the resonate section and putting a straight pipe ... Any suggestion ? I'm keeping stock mufflers .. How would it sound ? If possible what size and length I need to buy ... One more question will it pass emissions ?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:11 PM

The racing line y-pipe deletes the third res which I believe is not metered/monitored which doesn't throw any codes. Not sure but if you delete the others your will have emissions error codes.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:46 PM

Just go to an exhaust shop and have them cut/weld a piece in.
It is 2 1/4" pipe. Should be under $50.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:17 PM

Try to search around a bit on YouTube and such, removing the resonators will create a lot of drone...that u might like at first, but might get annoying over time. You might want to consider swapping just the mufflers instead
Old 09-22-2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
Try to search around a bit on YouTube and such, removing the resonators will create a lot of drone...that u might like at first, but might get annoying over time. You might want to consider swapping just the mufflers instead
maybe it's best changing the resonator to a better one .. I like the rumbling sound of a mustang .. I hate the sound of gargling from some expensive mufflers ..
Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ThinBlue82
The racing line y-pipe deletes the third res which I believe is not metered/monitored which doesn't throw any codes. Not sure but if you delete the others your will have emissions error codes.
You're getting resonators and catalytic converters confused. They're not the same and the ypipe deletes the cat not the resonator.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:52 PM

I looked around on YouTube and saw some max 7th gen that had there resonator deleted and they sounded real nice just the way I want
Old 09-22-2014, 10:04 PM

I had the resonator deleted and added a straight pipe with my aftermarket mufflers (video here, warm start, hope it works: )

It really does get loud in the cabin. Drone city around 2,000 - 2,500 RPMs if I recall correctly and it gets louder earlier when you add weight to the car (passengers, etc). To be honest, I could've lived with it but if you have a gf/wife or if you frequently drive with passengers in your car and you're considerate of their ride experience, it just sucks to know that you're fine from 0 - 2,000 RPMs and then from like 2,500 RPMs - WOT but it's that middle range which really blows.

It sucks because on the outside it sounds exactly how you want it to, but I ended up going back to my guy and had a high-flow resonator added. Although it undoubtedly took a little bit of the growl/rumble/throatiness away, I'm happy with the compromise.

Was even considering dynamatting the whole vehicle; there is a 7th gen Max out there on YouTube that had it done, and done well might I add, and the guy said he didn't feel like it was worth it.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dudemaine
I had the resonator deleted and added a straight pipe with my aftermarket mufflers (video here, warm start, hope it works: )

It really does get loud in the cabin. Drone city around 2,000 - 2,500 RPMs if I recall correctly and it gets louder earlier when you add weight to the car (passengers, etc). To be honest, I could've lived with it but if you have a gf/wife or if you frequently drive with passengers in your car and you're considerate of their ride experience, it just sucks to know that you're fine from 0 - 2,000 RPMs and then from like 2,500 RPMs - WOT but it's that middle range which really blows.

It sucks because on the outside it sounds exactly how you want it to, but I ended up going back to my guy and had a high-flow resonator added. Although it undoubtedly took a little bit of the growl/rumble/throatiness away, I'm happy with the compromise.

Was even considering dynamatting the whole vehicle; there is a 7th gen Max out there on YouTube that had it done, and done well might I add, and the guy said he didn't feel like it was worth it.

Thanks , it sounds great with deleted resonator but if it's gonna annoying inside the cab I'll rather go with a high flow resonator ... I don't want it to sound like a caddy .. Like a vacume cleaner LOL ..how much your resonator cost?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM

To be honest, I really forgot. I want to say $150 - $250 installed. It wasn't terrible
Old 09-23-2014, 12:54 PM

To be honest, I really forgot. I want to say $150 - $250 installed. It wasn't terrible
Thanx
Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 AM

It really does get loud in the cabin. Drone city around 2,000 - 2,500 RPMs if I recall correctly and it gets louder earlier when you add weight to the car (passengers, etc). To be honest, I could've lived with it but if you have a gf/wife or if you frequently drive with passengers in your car and you're considerate of their ride experience, it just sucks to know that you're fine from 0 - 2,000 RPMs and then from like 2,500 RPMs - WOT but it's that middle range which really blows......
It sucks because on the outside it sounds exactly how you want it to, but I ended up going back to my guy and had a high-flow resonator added.Although it undoubtedly took a little bit of the growl/rumble/throatiness away, I'm happy with the compromise......
!
Did exactly the same thing with my 5th generation. Ended up selling it shortly after. Honestly the drone was too far over the top for me, the guy at the custom exhaust shop warned me but I wouldn't listen.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had this done today....zero drone and only cost me $30 for a local shop to do it. Sounds good to me, not loud at all but has a little more rumble. Can't tell much inside the vehicle unless you turn the radio off or roll down a window. 10/10 would do again. Would post a pic but the app won't let me for some reason
Old 12-06-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Had this done today....zero drone and only cost me $30 for a local shop to do it. Sounds good to me, not loud at all but has a little more rumble. Can't tell much inside the vehicle unless you turn the radio off or roll down a window. 10/10 would do again. Would post a pic but the app won't let me for some reason
any performance gains from this?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by fame126
any performance gains from this?
nope. Don't really see how there could be because the resonator itself is a straight thru design
Old 12-08-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by tommy6905
try to search around a bit on youtube and such, removing the resonators will create a lot of drone...that u might like at first, but might get annoying over time. You might want to consider swapping just the mufflers instead
+1
Old 12-08-2014, 01:11 PM

^^^ agreed

Definite drone. I was fine with it but it does get annoying at times (like when u have passengers)

I'm telling u, it was only for those mid-range rpms where it was noticeable, from like 1700 or 1800 to like 2200 or 2300 is where it was at its worst

thing that sucks is that it sounds perfect on the outside without the resonator imo

I had basically a full car one time (2 in the front & 2 in the back) and we were leaving this restaurant and it was a slow incline of a hill and it was so bad that I was letting off the gas

again I didn't care but being mindful of the wife and other passengers -- I got the hi flow resonator.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

^^^ agreed Definite drone. I was fine with it but it does get annoying at times (like when u have passengers) I'm telling u, it was only for those mid-range rpms where it was noticeable, from like 1700 or 1800 to like 2200 or 2300 is where it was at its worst thing that sucks is that it sounds perfect on the outside without the resonator imo I had basically a full car one time (2 in the front & 2 in the back) and we were leaving this restaurant and it was a slow incline of a hill and it was so bad that I was letting off the gas again I didn't care but being mindful of the wife and other passengers -- I got the hi flow resonator.
I've had multiple vehicles with various different exhaust systems. Flowmaster and magnaflow for the most part....THAT'S drone, deleting the resonator on the maxima (at least on mine) is literally so quiet inside the car still that I have to turn the radio off and intentionally listen for the sound difference. Outside the car, you can sort of tell it's different but it's nothing crazy. I don't know if it's the difference in how the shop did the work, though I can't imagine welding a straight piece of pipe in could vary much between shops, but for whatever reason I simply can't fathom the complaints about drone with this setup.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I've had multiple vehicles with various different exhaust systems. Flowmaster and magnaflow for the most part....THAT'S drone, deleting the resonator on the maxima (at least on mine) is literally so quiet inside the car still that I have to turn the radio off and intentionally listen for the sound difference. Outside the car, you can sort of tell it's different but it's nothing crazy. I don't know if it's the difference in how the shop did the work, though I can't imagine welding a straight piece of pipe in could vary much between shops, but for whatever reason I simply can't fathom the complaints about drone with this setup.
Hm. I wonder if maybe you had a wider straight pipe? That's the only thing I can think of. Either that or you're deaf!! Lol I'm kidding

I started a thread called 'feedback requested' for my ride and on one of the pages is a video clip outside the car of a warm start with no resonator. I really loved it. Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with the hi-flow resonator but I just wish I didn't have to compromise and got the best of both worlds
Old 12-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hm. I wonder if maybe you had a wider straight pipe? That's the only thing I can think of. Either that or you're deaf!! Lol I'm kidding I started a thread called 'feedback requested' for my ride and on one of the pages is a video clip outside the car of a warm start with no resonator. I really loved it. Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with the hi-flow resonator but I just wish I didn't have to compromise and got the best of both worlds
Mine has a 2.5" pipe. I've got a picture but can't upload it on this app I'm using for some reason
Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hm. I wonder if maybe you had a wider straight pipe? That's the only thing I can think of. Either that or you're deaf!! Lol I'm kidding I started a thread called 'feedback requested' for my ride and on one of the pages is a video clip outside the car of a warm start with no resonator. I really loved it. Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with the hi-flow resonator but I just wish I didn't have to compromise and got the best of both worlds
Just to clarify, you are talking about drone with the stock exhaust with the exception of the resonator being deleted right? I noticed you mentioned in that thread something about having aftermarket mufflers...
Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here's a link to mine....again, stock exhaust with 2.5" pipe in place of the resonator

http://youtu.be/vgXY539K24w
Old 12-09-2014, 06:17 AM

Check out my thread with my magnaflow setup.
There are videos and pics in there.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Aftermarket resonator replacement

Could you please let me know what aftermarket resonator you bought to replace factory one with?