7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Samsung galaxy tab 2010 maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:56 AM

Samsung galaxy tab 2010 maxima

I just got a galaxy tab for my maxima but iwas wondering how difficult is it to d.i.y??
Or can someone help me out with a quote on wat it would cost just to get it installed?. Also idnt want it to be a permanant intallation i wanna be able to take it outta my car when i want to.

Maxima nation!! Get at me!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Well we definitely need some more information. I'm assuming you are keeping your stock radio. Do you have bluetooth streaming? If not, are you going to be playing it through the AUX port? Do you want it to charge and play at the same time? Do you want to be able to have it charging when the car is off or just when the car is on? What model and size Galaxy tab do you have?

I personally stay away from anything that you have to glue to the dash, suction to the windshield, or clip to the air vents. They probably won't be stable enough for a tablet size and weight. ProClip makes great stuff even though they are a little pricey. You will have to figure out how to remove the stereo which isn't hard at all.

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...2009-2015.cmsv

How you get your tablet to mount to it is up to some creativity. It's nice if you can find a devices specific mount with a ball mount on the back. Then you can simply find out the size of the ball and buy an arkon ball mount from amazon.

Last edited by mjhuffer; 09-30-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by mjhuffer
well we definitely need some more information. I'm assuming you are keeping your stock radio. Do you have bluetooth streaming? If not, are you going to be playing it through the aux port? Do you want it to charge and play at the same time? Do you want to be able to have it charging when the car is off or just when the car is on? What model and size galaxy tab do you have?
ihave just the regular radio no nav or dvd ijust wanna put my stock radio in the glovebox and have my tablet where the radio is and yes play by aux and bout the charging thats my reason for the non permanant install.

Thnx for the response
Old 09-30-2014, 12:41 PM

Forgot to mention i got the galaxy tab 3 light 7"
Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Putting the stock radio in the glovebox will require extending all the wires and drilling a big enough hole in the glovebox. Making a non permanent mount for the tablet will require some plastic, fiberglass, and bondo work. The route I would go is buy a aftermarket Metra kit and modify if to accept the tablet. If Soundman Car Audio made a mount for the device it would make it so much easier even though I really don't recommend anybody buying their product because their prices are outrageous. You really need to have some bodyworking skills or else it will come out looking bad.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:52 PM

You wouldnt know how much a body shop would charge for this type of work?? And how long would it take?
how do you have your nexus installed yu got picz?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by MidnightMaxima_22
You wouldnt know how much a body shop would charge for this type of work?? And how long would it take?
how do you have your nexus installed yu got picz?
All my pics got deleted from smugmug and I don't have them backed up. I'll try to get some pics here today but I'm currently doing some exhaust work on the car. I actually created a fiberglass mount and installed it where the orange monochrome screen is and I moved the HVAC display down below my aftermarket stereo (and run it through bluetooth). I would have no idea what a bodyshop would charge. They wouldn't probably even touch it. You probably need to talk to a local electronics store.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What about the temp controls and info?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ibleedgreen
What about the temp controls and info?
What about them. If you have the ugly orange screen and you keep the aftermarket radio in the glove box, everything should still work. I went the aftermarket radio route so the HVAC still worked but the info screen didn't. So, I moved the HVAC below the aftermarket radio and completely removed the info screen. Then I put a Nexus 7 where the ugly orange screen used to be.

Last edited by mjhuffer; 10-02-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:53 PM

What about them. If you have the ugly orange screen and you keep the aftermarket radio in the glove box, everything should still work. I went the aftermarket radio route so the HVAC still worked but the info screen didn't. So, I moved the HVAC below the aftermarket radio and completely removed the info screen. Then I put a Nexus 7 where the ugly orange screen used to be.

did you do this yourself?? iwould wanna do it exactly like this.
did you remove your stock radio completely? how do you get only that piece of the orange screen?? how do yu keep it charged??
Old 10-03-2014, 05:33 AM

Yedid you do this yourself?

Absolutely. I do everything to my car. I don't trust anybody touching my car unless it's something extremely serious.

iwould wanna do it exactly like this.

Well an issue I ran into is that the top opening is not exactly the right size. What I had to do is choose between being able to access the notification bar or the home/back/recent apps buttons. I chose to keep the notification bar, root my nexus 7, and download a custom rom with something called PIE/Gravity Box/Xposed Framework. This allows me to swipe from the left of the screen and have my home, back, recent apps button available. It also allows custom long press selections so I can have access to the settings drop down and notifications dropdown because it is tight and it's hard to get to with my finger. Also allows me to have a way to restart the device. I have no idea the screen size for your samsung galaxy so you would have to do some testing. I also downloaded an app called Tasker that allows me to set up rules for when the tablet sees power and when it doesn't. It allows me to control the brightness, wifi, bluetooth, screen timeout with the power on and off of the device. Trust me, this was about 1-2 months worth of innovation and R&D. I honestly don't think I could put a price on what I did because everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was custom.

On a side note: People really freak out when you can get Netflix, WatchESPN, Big10ToGo (to watch my ****ty Boilers), Youtube, Golf Live Extra, etc. I understand you aren't supposed to have video within view of the driver but I'm responsible. It's more for the passengers when I do road trips.

did you remove your stock radio completely?
Yes. The stock radio is sitting in my closet. I haven't had a stock radio in a car since I started driving. They are all crap IMO.

how do you get only that piece of the orange screen?
The orange screen is actually two seperate dot matrix screens. You can separate the HVAC screen and the info screen.

how do yu keep it charged?
I have a 2.1amp charger that is modded by bridging the data wires inside the cable so the tablet sees it as a wall charger. Allows the tablet to charge at a much higher amperage. I hardwired a 12v accessory outlet behind the dash and just plugged it into that.

It looks a lot better than this. I took this right when I was done and didn't have time to clean up all the dust.

Last edited by mjhuffer; 10-03-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Yedid you do this yourself?

Absolutely. I do everything to my car. I don't trust anybody touching my car unless it's something extremely serious.

iwould wanna do it exactly like this.

Well an issue I ran into is that the top opening is not exactly the right size. What I had to do is choose between being able to access the notification bar or the home/back/recent apps buttons. I chose to keep the notification bar, root my nexus 7, and download a custom rom with something called PIE/Gravity Box/Xposed Framework. This allows me to swipe from the left of the screen and have my home, back, recent apps button available. It also allows custom long press selections so I can have access to the settings drop down and notifications dropdown because it is tight and it's hard to get to with my finger. Also allows me to have a way to restart the device. I have no idea the screen size for your samsung galaxy so you would have to do some testing. I also downloaded an app called Tasker that allows me to set up rules for when the tablet sees power and when it doesn't. It allows me to control the brightness, wifi, bluetooth, screen timeout with the power on and off of the device. Trust me, this was about 1-2 months worth of innovation and R&D. I honestly don't think I could put a price on what I did because everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was custom.

On a side note: People really freak out when you can get Netflix, WatchESPN, Big10ToGo (to watch my ****ty Boilers), Youtube, Golf Live Extra, etc. I understand you aren't supposed to have video within view of the driver but I'm responsible. It's more for the passengers when I do road trips.

did you remove your stock radio completely?
Yes. The stock radio is sitting in my closet. I haven't had a stock radio in a car since I started driving. They are all crap IMO.

how do you get only that piece of the orange screen?
The orange screen is actually two seperate dot matrix screens. You can separate the HVAC screen and the info screen.

how do yu keep it charged?
I have a 2.1amp charger that is modded by bridging the data wires inside the cable so the tablet sees it as a wall charger. Allows the tablet to charge at a much higher amperage. I hardwired a 12v accessory outlet behind the dash and just plugged it into that.

It looks a lot better than this. I took this right when I was done and didn't have time to clean up all the dust.

Are yu an expert or something for these kind of things??
how did you remove everything?
i really wanna do it but i dnt wanna fck it up.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:26 AM

Are yu an expert or something for these kind of things??
I've been doing car audio for about 10 years now as a hobby. In real life I work as an actuary. I've always been obsessed with car audio and android. Everything I learn is either from experience or google/youtube. I've been working with phones and android for a long time now as well. To call me an expert though is stretching it. There are people that are much better at body work and have tricks of the trade years beyond what I can do.

how did you remove everything?
http://metraonline.com/files/products/INST95-7427B.pdf
Don't use a metal screwdriver to pry. Buy a plastic pry tool. They sell them on ebay for cheap.

I don't want to sound like a **** but from the questions you are asking me, you most definitely will. I will help you the best I can. Just take your time and think about what your really want to do within a budget.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 PM

I really wish the iPad mini would fit up there, I keep trying to get use to android but apple won't let me
Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 PM

I don't want to sound like a **** but from the questions you are asking me, you most definitely will. I will help you the best I can. Just take your time and think about what your really want to do within a budget.
QFT

You gotta take a chance to make a chance. Messing up is part of the process. Just be careful and you'll be fine. Be careful of what you cut. Measure twice, cut once, that kind of stuff.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:15 PM

I did have a galaxy 7" tablet up top, but took it out because I couldn't get use to androidName:  image.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  62.6 KBbut here's a pic for reference
Old 10-04-2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
I did have a galaxy 7" tablet up top, but took it out because I couldn't get use to androidbut here's a pic for reference
Where did you get this done? Ihave this same exact tablet...
Old 10-04-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by MidnightMaxima_22
Where did you get this done? Ihave this same exact tablet...
I did it myself, I wish I did a write up on it, ask any questions and I'll try and help out
Old 10-06-2014, 07:19 AM

if i just replace my stock stereo with a indash?
how easy it is to instal it myself??
Old 10-06-2014, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
I did it myself, I wish I did a write up on it, ask any questions and I'll try and help out
did yu have any trouble taking apart and installing the tablet what was the most difficult part of doing this and was it easy to remove after??

did you do any custom work??