7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Cranks.... but hard start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP! Cranks.... but hard start!!!

Hey guy! Within the past few weeks I’ve noticed my 2010 Maxima taking longer than normal to start. Before, when I pushed the start button it would fire right up within a second. Here lately it’s taking 2-3 seconds before it turns over. At first I thought I got a bad batch of gas from my normal fuel station, so I tried a different company and got the same results. This weekend I took a road trip to Florida. For the drive down I added a couple of cans for fuel system cleaner to a full tank, no improvements. I also replaced 3 of the 6 plugs (I have to figure out how to access the back 30 and the battery was replaced. As far as I can tell this issue is only on start up. It doesn’t feel like I lost any power coming off the line, no hesitation or stalls. I hate to think it’s the fuel pump or injectors; heck the car is only four years old (90k). It’s like I’m losing fuel pressure if the car sits for an extended period of time. If I turn it off and back on again, it fires up not problem. If it sits for 20-30min, it takes a couple a second to turn over. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:54 PM

FWIW I was having hard starts with my 4th Gen a few years ago. It was due to the starter. It was going out so it was getting weak. It would not turn the engine fast enough to start it quickly. I thought it was a fuel issue until the starter died a couple months later. You may consider getting your starter tested or trying a new one.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Do you have a check engine light on?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would think it was the starter if the hard start was all the time. Like I said before, if I shut the engine off and immediately start it again it will fire right up with no problem. But if it sits for a while, and I try it again, it take a second or two before it turn off.
No, no check engine light!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by AtlantaCarl
I would think it was the starter if the hard start was all the time. Like I said before, if I shut the engine off and immediately start it again it will fire right up with no problem. But if it sits for a while, and I try it again, it take a second or two before it turn off.
To me that sounds like a battery issue, when it eventually starts the alternator takes over and charges the battery along the way, sitting for a little bit I'm willing to bet the battery is losing charge. Is there anything in the car staying on? I know u said u changed it but my opinion it's a battery or alternator issue, also try sticking the key fob in it's little cubby and see if that makes a difference
Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The battery is just five days old and even after replacingthe battery the problem continues. I would agree with you if the problem wentaway for several days, allowing the battery time to drain; but it didn’t. Alsothere nothing plugged up that would slowly drain the battery. My iPod isplugged into my USB port; but that switches off when the car is off.
I'll give the key fob trick a try during lunch and report back. Also I'll stop by AutoZone or someplace to have the alternatior tested.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 AM

The battery is just five days old and even after replacingthe battery the problem continues. I would agree with you if the problem wentaway for several days, allowing the battery time to drain; but it didn’t. Alsothere nothing plugged up that would slowly drain the battery. My iPod isplugged into my USB port; but that switches off when the car is off.
I'll give the key fob trick a try during lunch and report back. Also I'll stop by AutoZone or someplace to have the alternatior tested.
I agree then the battery should not be the issue
Old 10-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Workshop

No go on the key fob!!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:47 PM

I really hate to suggest anything expensive, but a possibility here is that the fuel pump is having problems, so fails to maintain fuel pressure while sitting idle with the motor off. This allows the fuel to slightly drain back toward the tank, so the car won't start until the fuel pump is able to push the fuel back up to the engine.

The fuel pump is inside the gas tank, which makes this a fairly expensive repair, so you don't want to replace the fuel pump until the service tech confirms that is the problem.

The fuel pump depends on being immersed in gasoline in order to keep from overheating, so those folks who run their gas tank down to the last gallon or two are more likely to have the pump fail. But sometimes, even with the best pampering, a part can simply fail.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I really hate to suggest anything expensive, but a possibility here is that the fuel pump is having problems, so fails to maintain fuel pressure while sitting idle with the motor off. This allows the fuel to slightly drain back toward the tank, so the car won't start until the fuel pump is able to push the fuel back up to the engine.

The fuel pump is inside the gas tank, which makes this a fairly expensive repair, so you don't want to replace the fuel pump until the service tech confirms that is the problem.

The fuel pump depends on being immersed in gasoline in order to keep from overheating, so those folks who run their gas tank down to the last gallon or two are more likely to have the pump fail. But sometimes, even with the best pampering, a part can simply fail.
If the gas is draining back a little bit to the tank after shutoff, couldn't you just park the car nose down for a couple of hours so that the engine is lower than the gas tank. If the car starts right up like it should then the fuel pump is probably failing.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Administrator

I'd be more inclined to say that it's the fuel pressure regulator rather than the fuel pump since you said it starts up fine if you've been driving the car recently, but a hard start once it sits for a while.

Regardless, I'm dissapointed that you're having issues at only 90k.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:05 PM

I know the starter may be a long shot. But with a problem like this, where it may be hard to nail down a cause, I would try the easy/cheap stuff first. Hate to throw a bunch of time and money into a repair and then find out it was something simple and cheap.

Another option is to wait till the problem gets worse, it may be easier to troubleshoot once that happens.

Last edited by Nopike; 10-08-2014 at 07:12 PM.