7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM

Here we go again

Need some help, I don't know if this is my fault or the dopes that installed my springs. But one of my strut bolts is stripped, but it's still into the strut stud? Or whatever it's called, first I need to get the bolt out, how do I do that? And can the hole be retreaded or does the whole strut assembly need to be fixed? I appreciate the help, also if anyone has brought there car to shop for this how much am I looking for to fix
Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Removed my post because I replied to the wrong thread... Woops
Old 10-15-2014, 03:08 PM

Alright guys I'm going to fix this myself with tap and die kit, only problem....any safe way to get bolt out and try saving it?

Only reason is dealership is alittle out of the way to get a new bolt, if it's not worth saving I'll grab another, thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 07:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
Alright guys I'm going to fix this myself with tap and die kit, only problem....any safe way to get bolt out and try saving it?

Only reason is dealership is alittle out of the way to get a new bolt, if it's not worth saving I'll grab another, thanks
Are you talking about one of the three at the top? If so you maybe able to drill out and use a nut/bolt combo. They are not made as well anymore, they used to make beefy studs but now they have these silly little bolts that feel like they thread into tinfoil.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maximam
Are you talking about one of the three at the top? If so you maybe able to drill out and use a nut/bolt combo. They are not made as well anymore, they used to make beefy studs but now they have these silly little bolts that feel like they thread into tinfoil.
I didn't get around to it yesterday because I was busy and today's going to be heavy rain all day. So tomorrow I'm going to tackle it. And yes it's one of the three on top the strut. First I'm going to try and rethread it, if that fails I'm going to take your advice with the bolt and nut.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:49 AM

ran into that same problem. lucky enough I work at a place where bolts and taps are abundant. I grabbed one of the M8x1.25 taps and a few bolts and I rethreaded all of the holes to clean them up. if you really stripped the inner threads, you may want to redrill them completely and then retap with a different size. if you have any questions on this, shoot me a pm. ill be more than happy to help. and its sometimes hard to find taps or bolts with a specific thread size so if that's the case, let me know and ill get you what you need.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the response Roma, honestly I lucked out, first with alittle pressure of a flat head screwdriver under the bolt head I was able to extract it using a ratchet. Now the bolt seemed to be ok, but the bolt hole was completely gone, I stopped by my grandfathers because he has 2 of every tool ever made lol, luckily he had a tap set, the one I used was 5/16, was able to make new threads thank god and the bolt screwed in effortlessly. All in all it was about a 5 min job, hardest part was jacking that side of the car to move the strut around.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Also today I went ahead and bought torque wrench, I torqued all bolts down to 40 lbs. also maybe someone can help me, I also bought a 15/16" adapter to torque the wheels properly. Obviously not the right size, can someone tell me what size the lug nut bolts are so I can buy the proper adapter? I'm thinking 13/16", but idk thanks guys