7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone trouble WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 PM

iPhone trouble WTF?

If this has been covered already, please point me to the thread. I tried searching and in the entire first page of results, not one sentence seemed to deal directly with the issue I'm having.

I have an iPhone 5 with the lightening connector. I was excited that this car came with USB because I hate hate hate having chargers. I always break them or lose them or they stop working. I was hoping to be able to simply plug in my lightening cable that came with the phone and my phone would magically charge. I don't care about using it as an iPod, but even if I wanted to, the car can do it through bluetooth.

So here's my issue. For about a year, I used a cheap knock off lightening cable. When I plug it in, it would charge, despite a message on the phone saying that the component was not apple certified and may not work reliably. It did anyway, albeit slowly.

So recently, I noticed a small crack forming on the cheapo cable end. I figured I'd buy an apple certified cable. When I plugged it in, the phone and stereo went nuts. It is constantly looking for a usb drive, won't charge, and won't let me listen to the stereo. Since I bought a 3 pack, I figured it was a bad cable, but no. Same thing. I am now using the cheapo cable and if the plug end has any pressure applied (if it leans against something, if I go over a bump, etc), I get the same "beep", followed by a message about looking for the drive. It simply cycles until I unplug and replug and set it just so.

Anyone have any idea how to alleviate my biggest annoyance? It seems that Nissan and Apple don't play in the same sandbox. Can I disable the usb search for data through the stereo? Is it my phone? Do I need to buy a charger and have that plug up a cigarette lighter port?

It seems like this should be super easy, but no matter what cable I use lately, none will charge the phone and let me listen to the stereo for long.

It drives me nuts to have to hit the satellite radio button in the middle of a Howard Stern interview I'm missing because I hit a bump.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:32 PM

Seriously? Has no one else had trouble with an iPhone5 cable/charging problem?
Am I going to have to take her to the dealership?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:36 PM

You may be the only one. I have a 5 in a 2010 Max. I've used the Apple cable and an Amazon cable. Never had a problem out of either.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had an issue with an apple cable & my iphone 5. The cable had stopped working correctly, it was old & you could tell where it had a weak spot. This spot was near the connector for the phone. I would move it & it would work again. I was getting the same message as you. I then bought a new apple cable...same result as you with the new cable. I then decided to reset the head unit by unplugging the battery for a minute or two. The new cable has been working correctly since.