7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

So I valet my car in the city today, kept the FOB, and he drove away??? WTF

Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 AM

So I valet my car in the city today, kept the FOB, and he drove away??? WTF

LOL I thought it was interesting that I was able to Valet the car and keep the fob only to see the attendant drive off and park my car. I didn't realize I had the fob in my pocket until I got to the office. I was going to assume my car was stranded somewhere in the garage but no, he was able to park and all. I would have thought the moment I walked away and he pressed the brake to put it in gear the car would die??? I look at this in a couple different manners. If heaven forbid someone was car jacked, they take the car, get away, and never be able to restart it or it dies immediately and he shoots you. LOL Now I am wondering. If I just put the fob in that spot at the bottom of the dash can anyone drive it?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 AM

Was thinking the same thing

Not leaving the fob in the car but the Car Jack scenario.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by teddyca
LOL I thought it was interesting that I was able to Valet the car and keep the fob only to see the attendant drive off and park my car. I didn't realize I had the fob in my pocket until I got to the office. I was going to assume my car was stranded somewhere in the garage but no, he was able to park and all. I would have thought the moment I walked away and he pressed the brake to put it in gear the car would die??? I look at this in a couple different manners. If heaven forbid someone was car jacked, they take the car, get away, and never be able to restart it or it dies immediately and he shoots you. LOL Now I am wondering. If I just put the fob in that spot at the bottom of the dash can anyone drive it?
they can drive away without the key but once the car is off they can't start it .. warning indicator comes on
Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 AM

The system is designed with car jacking in mind. If someone jacked your car at gunpoint they would be able to drive it away (steal it) and once the car was turned off it couldn't be restarted without the fob. If the car died immediately without taking it the thief might possibly become more agitated and take his anger out on you. Now which scenario sounds like the better option? We tend to forget that a car is a replaceable object, even if it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars insurance will cover most of your loss. Save the herosim for your wife and kids.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM

^^^ this guy is on point ^^^^
Not worth your life... Although we may joke about it!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM

I am new to the forum, but since we are on the security system subject and this is along the lines of this thread I thought I'd share this with you all.

About a month ago I went to a friends house in Milwaukee and the car started, drove, turned off, ect. normal. About 4 hours later I went to grab my jacket in the car and it wouldn't let me in. I had to use the actual key within the fob to get in the car. Once in the security light started blinking and I could not start the car, use the windows, steering wheel was locked, NOTHING worked. I was irate because I had only owned the car since May. My question is, if the battery in the fob goes dead will the car not be able to "read" it hence thinking you are a thief trying to steal the car?

I tried over the course of the night to start the car, but nothing worked. The little security warning on the dash just kept blinking until eventually the battery died and I had to have the car towed. The next day the dealership put the car on a charger and after an hour it started right up, I replaced the batteries in both my fobs and haven't had the problem since.

Has this ever happened to any of you, or have any feedback on what may have happened? Thanks guys!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 AM

Yes - it has happened to me. The fob battery died and, like you, I couldn't get into the car without using the physical key.

But, I did know to put the fob into the fob slot just beneath the trunk release switch. When the fob is in there, it is the same as having a regular key on the ignition.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Yeah once I was in the vehicle I did put the key in the correct spot under the trunk release, but it still didn't work. I just thought I would have gotten a warning or something that the battery in the fob was low, before that happened. I'm just paranoid now I guess. I don't want to be locked out get stranded. Hoping it was just the fob battery issue.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM

If they ever car jacked me for my max I'll give him money to put gas and make it dissaper
Old 10-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Honestly guys I clearly know the purpose of this design and just found it funny that it didn't die. If I were car jacked I would give him the keys and and my ATM for dinner and fuel. LOL
Old 10-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone3944
Yeah once I was in the vehicle I did put the key in the correct spot under the trunk release, but it still didn't work. I just thought I would have gotten a warning or something that the battery in the fob was low, before that happened. I'm just paranoid now I guess. I don't want to be locked out get stranded. Hoping it was just the fob battery issue.
If your key fob battery is getting low, the car will notify you in the warnings sections of the display. What it looks like is on page 2-21 of the owners manual illustration #11. I got that warning one time and replaced both fob batteries.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by teddyca
Honestly, guys I know the purpose of this design and just found it funny that it didn't die. If I were car jacked I would give him the keys and and my ATM for dinner and fuel. LOL
teddyca, its funny that you thought it would die if driven away without the keyfob. When my wife and I traded in my last vehicle at the Nissan dealer in KCMO the salesman told us the same thing, only he gave it a range of about 200 yards.

He explained that it was the "carjacking" feature in that it allowed the thief to get a reasonable distance away from you then it would cut off. This made my wife paranoid for a while because whenever I got out the car to gas up, the system would beep because I had the keys in my pocket. I can't remeber how many times I wanted to see how far I could drive before it "cut off" but I never tried it.

Eventually, I learned the truth, which is stated up above. The guy who told me the wrong info no longer works at Nissan but it always amazes me what people will say with total confidence even though they aren't sure if their facts are right or not.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone3944
Once you placed the fob in the proper slot under the trunk release switch, the fob battery is out of the picture. If the car will not start in that situation, I would think you either have a dead car battery or something is broken somewhere.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Once you placed the fob in the proper slot under the trunk release switch, the fob battery is out of the picture. If the car will not start in that situation, I would think you either have a dead car battery or something is broken somewhere.
This or depending on the year it could be the steering wheel lock issue
Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Ok....it is a 2010 Max SV. What is the steering wheel lock issue? The dealership recharged the battery and ever since then it has been fine. I did also replace the batteries in both fobs.