7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car just goes limp!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 PM

My car just goes limp!

Ok, I don't know if it's just crappy Nissan mechanics here or I have the worst imagination in the world but my car goes limp (not that I'm running it hard).

Here's what's happening, maybe one of you can tell me what it is or may be from your experience:

I'm driving along and hit the gas, it accelerates up to 90 then I step on the pedal and it bogs, the gas pedal is floored sometimes and the car just falls flat on its' face.

I asked them to check my plugs and they said they were good, they put it on their machine and got nothing, they drove it and couldn't duplicate what happened but hopefully I'll drive them next time so they can tell me (didn't have time the last time I went).

What could this be? Please help, I'm not a mechanically inclined enough person to assess this problem.

Any help you provide is appreciated,
Thanks
Old 10-29-2014, 03:16 PM

They have a pill for that these days
Old 10-29-2014, 03:21 PM

How many miles do you have on it? Sounds like your cvt is going into limp mode. Also, I would consider hitting the gas and taking it to 90 driving it hard. If your doing that repeatedly or driving above 80mph on thr highway for example for extended periods of time our cars have been known to limp out. I few weeks ago someone posted having similar problems with his car. We told hit to check his cvt fluid levels and condition. You may be due for a fluid change. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 PM

If the CVT goes into limp mode, it will display the CVT icon. Is that not correct? Based on a lot of the tuners on this forum, the CVT does cut power after 85 mph as if there were only 30% throttle input vs 100%. How often does this occur? What are your engine temps? Any odd noises?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:49 PM

HTML Code:
How many miles do you have on it? Sounds like your cvt is going into limp mode. Also, I would consider hitting the gas and taking it to 90 driving it hard. If your doing that repeatedly or driving above 80mph on thr highway for example for extended periods of time our cars have been known to limp out. I few weeks ago someone posted having similar problems with his car. We told hit to check his cvt fluid levels and condition. You may be due for a fluid change. Good luck
!

Thanks for responding and my apologies for taking so long to respond, I have 140K plus on the odo. I tried to get the Nissan mechanics here to drive my car at that speed so they can see for themselves, it isn't after repeated runs, it happens as soon as one run then it falls flat on its' face.

I'm aware that after 4 runs the CVT is supposed to go into this Limp Mode to protect it from overheating but I'm only running it one time and then it falls dead, if I feather the pedal then it'll pick back up and before falling down again.

I took my car in to Nissan today but I can't get them to duplicate it so they can't identify what's wrong, I took my car to get my spark plugs changed but they said there was nothing wrong with them.

I swear I this thing is bothering me so much that I just don't know what to do.

I will try getting the fluid changed and whatever else but without identifying exactly what is wrong then I'm afraid I'll just be throwing money away without fixing the problem.

HTML Code:
If the CVT goes into limp mode, it will display the CVT icon. Is that not correct? Based on a lot of the tuners on this forum, the CVT does cut power after 85 mph as if there were only 30% throttle input vs 100%. How often does this occur? What are your engine temps? Any odd noises?
The CVT icon doesn't come on, like I stated above this happens on one run and my engine temps have been normal with no odd noises whatsoever. I don't feel it is a CVT problem but I feel as though when I hit the accelerator that the car just stops breathing and then dies for several seconds unless I feather the pedal then it'll rev up again and then die again.

Please provide any responses that will help, I will ignore jokes like one poster did because this isn't a laughing matter. Thank you for those of you who responded in kind.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:23 PM

I can't believe someone hasn't called it by now!!

It's the doggone blinker fluid, dude! Your blinker fluid is low! It also sounds like the CVT turbocharger is about to give out. Seems like you got some crazy boost fluctuations that are turning the belt gliders into sludge. You might want to think about a power steering pump replacement. Check your belt tension on the CVT belt. There is a small sight-glass on the tranny between the labia majora and the labia minora. Do you smell a burning smell? Like a big old cow pattie that got set on fire under the hood? If you do, you might want to check under the hood. They might have accidentally put a Honda motor in your Maxima? Nissan's factory diagnostic test is to pull the spark plugs out and put them in upside down. If it still runs okay, then your catalytic converter is going out. You might wanna check that, too. Let us know what you find. They might have actually messed up and put gears inside your transmission. If you have one of the early models with gears, then all hope is lost. May as well set a brick on the gas pedal, put the old girl in drive and tie the steering wheel straight-ahead for the biggest cliff you can find. FYI...staying in the car at the time isn't smart, but that's your discretion.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:31 AM

Get the fluid changed asap then report back.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=CorollaULEV;8997463]I can't believe someone hasn't called it by now!!

It's the doggone blinker fluid, dude! Your blinker fluid is low! It also sounds like the CVT turbocharger is about to give out. Seems like you got some crazy boost fluctuations that are turning the belt gliders into sludge. You might want to think about a power steering pump replacement. Check your belt tension on the CVT belt. There is a small sight-glass on the tranny between the labia majora and the labia minora. Do you smell a burning smell? Like a big old cow pattie that got set on fire under the hood? If you do, you might want to check under the hood. They might have accidentally put a Honda motor in your Maxima? Nissan's factory diagnostic test is to pull the spark plugs out and put them in upside down. If it still runs okay, then your catalytic converter is going out. You might wanna check that, too. Let us know what you find. They might have actually messed up and put gears inside your transmission. If you have one of the early models with gears, then all hope is lost. May as well set a brick on the gas pedal, put the old girl in drive and tie the steering wheel straight-ahead for the biggest cliff you can find. FYI...staying in the car at the time isn't smart, but that's your discretion.[/QUOTE

LMAO!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:05 PM

I'd really appreciate serious responses only, it's no laughing matter to me. There used to be a time when you could come onto this forum and get serious responses from people who cared but obviously until something happens to the person's car who is making light of the situation happens to them then it won't be a laughing matter any longer.

Thanks for nothing.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:22 PM

I'd try resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 10min. Maybe also checking the air filter and cleaning out the engine using something like gumout multi-system tuneup.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:09 AM

I would take it to nissan and let them figure out what is wrong .. Could be sensor , computer or something electronically.. If it turns out to be the trans is shot .. There's plenty of junk yards that have 7th gens .. It would be cheaper than fixing it ... Do the install yourself along with a friend .. It shouldn't be that difficult
Old 11-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
I'd really appreciate serious responses only, it's no laughing matter to me. There used to be a time when you could come onto this forum and get serious responses from people who cared but obviously until something happens to the person's car who is making light of the situation happens to them then it won't be a laughing matter any longer.

Thanks for nothing.
It's the internet, you shouldn't let one person being mildly jovial get to you. Not only that, but several other people have engaged you and given you some solid advice.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:33 PM

Here's a serious response. In my state, and many others, driving 90 miles an hour is a serious criminal offense.
You would be eligible for the charges of reckless driving, aggravated speeding, reckless endangerment, and negligent driving.
Unless you live in Montana and were doing this on a road without speed limits or on a track, you shouldn't be driving more than 90 miles an hour ever.
Plus, I'm pretty sure the moderators would be happy to tell you that it is against forum rules to talk about breaking the law.
Serious enough for you?
If you can't handle a mild ribbing, stay off the internet. It only gets worse. You said "thanks for nothing", so I'll remind you that no one here owes you a damn thing. You've gotten plenty of responses that dealt with your 'issue' seriously but I'd wager that those members who answered your question in the hopes it helps you are way thicker skinned than you are.
The internet is no place for feelings. Quit whining.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by jeffislouie
Here's a serious response. In my state, and many others, driving 90 miles an hour is a serious criminal offense.
You would be eligible for the charges of reckless driving, aggravated speeding, reckless endangerment, and negligent driving.
Unless you live in Montana and were doing this on a road without speed limits or on a track, you shouldn't be driving more than 90 miles an hour ever.
Plus, I'm pretty sure the moderators would be happy to tell you that it is against forum rules to talk about breaking the law.
Serious enough for you?
If you can't handle a mild ribbing, stay off the internet. It only gets worse. You said "thanks for nothing", so I'll remind you that no one here owes you a damn thing. You've gotten plenty of responses that dealt with your 'issue' seriously but I'd wager that those members who answered your question in the hopes it helps you are way thicker skinned than you are.
The internet is no place for feelings. Quit whining.
First off all, the problem happened at 80 mph, yes that is slightly above the law but I suggested they drive the car up to 90 so they could catch it. Second I told the people who responded in kind thanks for their help, yes I took offense to the "mild" ribbing as you called it but that's my right since I started this thread to respond how I want.

I didn't disrespect anyone by stating the obvious but you are taking this way beyond where it should go, I know that no person here owes me anything and I'm very grateful to those who responded in the way I was hoping to get the answers (straightforward, no BS).

The only person who was whining is you, thanks but next time if you have nothing to say in direct regards to the topic at hand when the issue regarding me and that ONE poster was the individual I addressed then you should stay out of it. Stay OT

To those who have Maximas; I've been on this forum since I bought my first Max back in 2k and continued on from their to my 2k3 and now my 2k9, I appreciate a decent conversation and really mean no person any harm.

This forum was all about getting mechanical advice, tips and sharing things we have in common regarding our cars, particularly when it comes to maintenance issues.

Back then you asked a serious question and you got a serious answer, people didn't heckle you because they understood your frustration and that you were probably spending a lot of money or were about to so they provided help as though it were their own vehicles in peril.

If I have offended anyone then believe me that was not the intent, so charge it to my head and not to my heart.

Stay OT
Old 11-06-2014, 04:03 PM

The only person who was whining is you, thanks but next time if you have nothing to say in direct regards to the topic at hand when the issue regarding me and that ONE poster was the individual I addressed then you should stay out of it.
If you think I'm whining, you should hear my wife.

So you know, the individual you got mad at was just having a little fun at your expense. Unless you are Mr. Maximadotorg, try to remember that this is just a public forum. You're going to get some jokers. Try not to get upset.

I'm serious about the 90 mph thing. I'm a lawyer and you'd be amazed at the stuff I've seen happen to nice folks who went too fast. Consider it more a plea for caution. Did you know that law enforcement/prosecutors have used posts on online forums as evidence against people? It's happened, so be careful.

As to the topic, I believe some folks have mentioned that the throttle dials down to something like 30% above certain speeds (even with their foot to the floor) to preserve the CVT and avoid damage. I've also seen threads where people seem to think that what you've experienced end up being the early warning signs of CVT failure.

Best of luck.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jeffislouie
If you think I'm whining, you should hear my wife.

So you know, the individual you got mad at was just having a little fun at your expense. Unless you are Mr. Maximadotorg, try to remember that this is just a public forum. You're going to get some jokers. Try not to get upset.

I'm serious about the 90 mph thing. I'm a lawyer and you'd be amazed at the stuff I've seen happen to nice folks who went too fast. Consider it more a plea for caution. Did you know that law enforcement/prosecutors have used posts on online forums as evidence against people? It's happened, so be careful.

As to the topic, I believe some folks have mentioned that the throttle dials down to something like 30% above certain speeds (even with their foot to the floor) to preserve the CVT and avoid damage. I've also seen threads where people seem to think that what you've experienced end up being the early warning signs of CVT failure.

Best of luck.

Cool, thanks for the legal advice and for accepting my weak apologies, lol.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Wow a heated debate
Old 11-07-2014, 05:05 AM

First off all, the problem happened at 80 mph, yes that is slightly above the law but I suggested they drive the car up to 90 so they could catch it.
I thought I had made a mistake by not taking you serious. But then....this. You actually walked into a dealership, told them your car has a problem at 80mph and asked a Nissan technician to drive your vehicle at 90mph on open public highways?! Really?? What part of that remotely seems okay?

On another note - yes, Nissan does cut your throttle in half between 80 and 90. With your foot to the floor, the throttle plate is wide open until you hit about 84-85mph, at which point it limits you to 44% throttle. It still accelerates, but there is definitely a "softening" of acceleration above 85.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:36 AM

140k miles and I don't know if I saw an answer to if the CVT fluid has ever been changed. Let's make sure we've at least covered basic maintenance. OP, has that been done or not? When was the last oil change, air filter replacement? You said something about plugs but I don't remember the outcome--they were checked recently, right?
Old 11-07-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Serpent
140k miles and I don't know if I saw an answer to if the CVT fluid has ever been changed. Let's make sure we've at least covered basic maintenance. OP, has that been done or not? When was the last oil change, air filter replacement? You said something about plugs but I don't remember the outcome--they were checked recently, right?
I do routine maintenance on my vehicle and I'm a stickler for changing fluids when required. The last time I took my car in and had it inspected Nissan said my CVT was fine and my fluids are good but I will get them to change it anyway and report back to let you know what I find out.

Thanks for all the help and my apologies to CorollaULEV, I was just having a bad day.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 AM

I recently had them change the CVT fluid and it seems to perform a lot quicker/better, however I know I will take flack for posting this but; I took my car up to a higher speed than before just to ensure it wasn't still doing the same thing and lo and behold it did go limp again but at that speed I won't mention.

Go ahead and persecute me for saying so, I'm more concerned about what is wrong with my car than I am with exceeding the speed limit.

I'm sure it will bother some of you but that's ok, I'm not doing this just for the fun of it or putting anyone at risk, I made sure no one was around, it was on the highway and for only a short stretch.

I guess I'm going to have to take it back to Nissan to have them run a full test on it somehow to find out what is going on.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:46 AM

Put it on a dyno. The indy place I take my Z to had to use one for a quirk in runability this summer.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:00 AM

Lol @ 90mph claims being "too much"....I've done twice that speed on route 70 in Maryland, so what?

Dont let these dudes get to you with their crying of legality and speed limits...

Its your business, and then the law is responsible for enforcement, not them.
I hate people who push their opinions of driving and speed on others, its not their place to do so. Its the same people who will slow down and try to force their driving style on you when you start going fast. You are not in charge people! Lolz haha

Anyway good luck with the whip!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Lol @ 90mph claims being "too much"....I've done twice that speed on route 70 in Maryland, so what?

Dont let these dudes get to you with their crying of legality and speed limits...

Its your business, and then the law is responsible for enforcement, not them.
I hate people who push their opinions of driving and speed on others, its not their place to do so. Its the same people who will slow down and try to force their driving style on you when you start going fast. You are not in charge people! Lolz haha

Anyway good luck with the whip!
I agree and it wasn't like I was even going 30 miles above the speed limit either, the only reason I suggested that they test it higher than normal is because I was going slightly faster than the posted speed limit when I felt it.

From what I've been reading over at the 5th gen it seemed typical that our cars start off with about 50% throttle or so and then cut at 85, it could've been that this is what I felt when I said it goes limp.

It may be a basic function of our cars programmed behavior for the CVT or throttle/whatever for the sake of saving damage to the CVT or for the simple way that Nissan designed the car to be built as a cruiser and not as a "sprint or race" car.

I can live with it I guess but it is something annoying when you are out on those country backroads with nothing in site and you want to go slightly above the posted limit.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 AM

Just say you were doing 10 over the speed limit... In WYOMING where the limit is 80!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by T200
Just say you were doing 10 over the speed limit... In WYOMING where the limit is 80!
Lol true. Speaking of which Wyoming is awesome for that, so is Montana.

But the 7th gen indeed does die up top, I felt it in our 2014 and Ive seen it while driving my 5th gen on hwy next to 7th gens