7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Transmission just failed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:50 PM
RR5

Originally Posted by Excalibur23
I agree. I am curious to know. For me, I didnt get a warning. At that period, I was driving my car 2-3 hours a day for work. I know I wouldve or even shouldve got a warning. But nothing until right as it was happening. The dealer did say there is issues with the cvt, but it isnt enough for nissan to say anything about it. Because I am under warranty it go replaced by Nissan, but for anyone who isn't its 6-8k. I just think that nissans Auto/CVT vehicle have been hit or miss the pass decade. Whether with was the issue with 6th gens auto or the pathfinders with coolant leaking into trans..
I think I'll check with http://www.blackstone-labs.com/transmission.php about taking a CVT fluid sample without doing a drain/fill. I'm in a 2011 with 30560 on the clock so I'm pretty interested in getting a sample analyzed.

This is why I went with the extended warranty, it's pretty lame having to pay slightly more per month but should that warranty replace a big ticket item at no cost, it'll be worth it.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 PM

Yup. Blackstone good idea! However, my CVT failed at 148,000 miles - as in catastrophic failure with small parts of the transmission and many metal shavings falling out of the transmission when I pulled the pan off. I had absolutely ZERO warning. I drove the car pretty hard it's entire life. I wasn't deliberately abusive (very often), but never had really thought twice if I needed to floor it to get around slower traffic. Driving, on average, 3500 miles per month for my job, I don't consider myself an aggressive driver, but I am impatient and have little tolerance for idiots on the road.

That being said, I drove car from home to local Wallie World, 8 miles, the car drove beautifully (as always) - got into parking lot and it had a weird "judder" at parking lot speeds. After I left, I was nearly T-boned a few times on the journey back home when I pulled out and the car just crept along (it limits throttle when it detects error code in transmission....same as traction control limits throttle when spinning tires in snow/ice, etc.)

Soo...that was June 6th. Fast forward to July 17th, I have my car back, have put around 1500 miles on a used/junkyard transmission from a 2010 maxima with 40K miles on it. So far, it seems to be doing well.

Blackstone labs - jury is still out on this one. I purchased a valve body prior to replacement (before knowing what was really going on) because after some diagnosis, I kept pulling a DTC code P0868 = secondary fluid pressure low. I thought valve body was messed up (before I pulled the pan off and metal junk fell out the bottom). Blackstone fluid analyses summary below: average wear (unit averages) - iron should be 118 or less, copper 35 or less, insoluble <0.1 (nothing else included because everything else always normal). Also bear in mind, I did change transmission fluid between the 43K and 111K analysis, just never sent a sample.

43,778 mi: iron 91, copper 27, insolubles 0.5 (!)
111,229 mi: iron 117, copper 48, insolubles TRACE
148.448 mi (failure date): iron 145, copper 30, insolubles 0.2

Blackstone gives good, reliable results, I recommend them highly. The numbers just weren't a true representation of what had happened inside the transmission (it was a sudden failure rather than a gradual failure). The iron increase on the failure date from 117 to 145 isn't really relevant or significant. The engine oil analyses have always ran high iron or aluminum, but again, runs flawlessly (and I get 28-29mpg highway, proving good running order).

Blackstone does sale a sample kit (long tube that goes down dipstick hole, special syringe) so you can pump a sample directly into the sample container. I've used it on several occasions and it is clean, no mess, easy to use and clean up. Just store in ziplock baggy for anytime you need to use it.

Problem is, there are so few people that analyze their fluid from CVT transmissions. I humbly request you please do because I'm very curious what your wear metals are. I'm planning to siphon off a sample very soon and send in, but having others' data to compare to is the only way we can get good, reliable average wear rates for these transmission.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 06-22-2016, 01:46 PM

***Update***
So about 6 months ago, right before my scheduled oil change, the service light came on. They scanned it and said it was an old code from when the transmission got replaced. Sure whatever, they reset the computer and nothing else happen until 3 weeks ago. I brought my car back in, the flashed it again. A week later came back on, the kept the car a day, reflashed with update software apparently. 3 days later on again. Its been in the shop 2 days, just got a call stating that can't figure out whats wrong. And that the trans that was put in is simply just defective. And that the contacted Nissan to put another in.. My car is dealer maintained, babied, whether cold or hot, my car is allowed to warmup before driving it. This is my 3 max. 8 total that has been owned by my family, not counting the other Nissan/Infiniti products. Idk, I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth from Nissan right now.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Excalibur23
***Update***
So about 6 months ago, right before my scheduled oil change, the service light came on. They scanned it and said it was an old code from when the transmission got replaced. Sure whatever, they reset the computer and nothing else happen until 3 weeks ago. I brought my car back in, the flashed it again. A week later came back on, the kept the car a day, reflashed with update software apparently. 3 days later on again. Its been in the shop 2 days, just got a call stating that can't figure out whats wrong. And that the trans that was put in is simply just defective. And that the contacted Nissan to put another in.. My car is dealer maintained, babied, whether cold or hot, my car is allowed to warmup before driving it. This is my 3 max. 8 total that has been owned by my family, not counting the other Nissan/Infiniti products. Idk, I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth from Nissan right now.
Sorry to hear about the troubles. If it were me, how they handle the customer experience as well as the transmission fix will determine if I ever consider the Nissan brand again. Good luck either way.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 AM

***UPDATE***

Since 6/22/16

The transmission was indeed replaced again at that time. Shes currently at 86k. My extend warranty is set to expire at the end of the year. I am debating on trading her in. As I would get another warranty but have absolutely no faith in a separate aftermarket warranty after being burned on one in the past. My wife wants to get an suv, and we've been looking at the new QX60 among other none nissans. But its a CVT . We'll see.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:09 AM
RR5

Keep us up to date on that. The 2012 I've got now has been exhibiting the typical warnings of a transmission that's likely to fail.

It's why I also got the extended warranty for only PENNIES on the dollar haha and as far as I can tell the CVT is covered.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:36 PM

2010 Maxima CVT failure

Started making a clacking noise at 114,000, shifted fine, so I figured CV joints were going, replaced both right and left. Clacking continued, so, desperation, changed both front wheel bearings, Clacking continued and I started to noticed a burning smell. So i now had 118,005 miles out of 120,000 mile extended warranty. And months short of 10 years.

I had my doubts about warranty replacement, since I had serviced car myself, but I took it in on Monday morning, I picked it up Tuesday afternoon with a new CVT. Cost $0.

Maybe Nissan knows they have lost their customer base. Got to start making this right, or it's game over.