7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper 5706 Remote Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 04:47 PM

Viper 5706 Remote Start Question

I'm a dope!
I had the Viper 5706 remote start/alarm installed the other day. Since the install took a little longer than expected, I left without having the tech walk me through how to operate the remote start completely because I was late for another appointment.
Here's the problem I'm having...
After I remote start the car and it is running, I use the Viper remote to unlock the doors and enter the car. I close the door, put my foot on the brake and shift into reverse to back up-- and the engine dies.
I can restart the car and drive off, but obviously, I am not doing something right.
Any help would be appreciated...
Old 11-27-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by JRod28
I'm a dope!
I had the Viper 5706 remote start/alarm installed the other day. Since the install took a little longer than expected, I left without having the tech walk me through how to operate the remote start completely because I was late for another appointment.
Here's the problem I'm having...
After I remote start the car and it is running, I use the Viper remote to unlock the doors and enter the car. I close the door, put my foot on the brake and shift into reverse to back up-- and the engine dies.
I can restart the car and drive off, but obviously, I am not doing something right.
Any help would be appreciated...
Oh, my car is a 2014 Maxima SV with the push to start...
Old 11-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Oh, my car is a 2014 Maxima SV with the push to start...
Try this, after it's remote started, first thing u should do when u get into the car is put your foot on the brake and press the start button once, then u should be able to ahift and drive away
Old 11-28-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
Try this, after it's remote started, first thing u should do when u get into the car is put your foot on the brake and press the start button once, then u should be able to ahift and drive away
Thanks for the tip! It didn't work out exactly for me but based on what you said about stepping on the brake, I found that if I disarmed the alarm using either the OEM key fob unlock button or the button on the driver's door handle, the remote start countdown turned itself off when i tapped the brake pedal. Engine would stay on and I could shift into gear and drive off.
Thanks for saving me a trip back to the installer...
Old 11-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The way all of them are as far as I know is once you remote start it, get in. You push the start button twice so it goes past ACC to the run position. Then tap the brakes and it should be switched over to the car.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by INTRIGUED
The way all of them are as far as I know is once you remote start it, get in. You push the start button twice so it goes past ACC to the run position. Then tap the brakes and it should be switched over to the car.
I will have to try your method again. I thought I tried it before but I believe the engine turned off on the first push of the start button...
Old 02-20-2015, 07:27 AM

How do you like this alarm? Do you lose any factory functions (push button door handle unlock) with this alarm? In the market for an alarm myself.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:31 AM

I will have to try your method again. I thought I tried it before but I believe the engine turned off on the first push of the start button...
I just installed a fortin Evo all in my 2010 maxima that pairs with oem fob, pretty cool I get in push the brake and shift and drive away, nothing else is needed. Before I installed mine a buddy of mine had a viper installed on his 2010 Altima, he was having the same problems as you....I messed around with it for a while, and I figured out when you get in stick the oem fob in the fob holder next to steering wheel and from there he was able to shift and drive off. Sorry I forgot to get back to you, maybe by now you have this figured out
Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 AM

JRod, I was having some of the same issues as you. After remote starting i get in step on the brake and the car would die or when opening a door other than the drivers door the car would cut out. After speaking with the installer and not getting the info i wanted (they said that with a PTS you have to restart the car after getting in to drive away), I did my own research and found that with my 2013 Max, I have ~ 45 sec to get in and tap the break after opening a door (so that there is a takeover from the remote starter to the car) before it cuts out. Some info said you have to press the starter button but that didnt work for me. Could be because of the type of starter I have (Compustar 2 way). I guess depending on the type of remote starter there are different takeover procedures. Find out which one works for your brand.
Good luck.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by capri66
JRod, I was having some of the same issues as you. After remote starting i get in step on the brake and the car would die or when opening a door other than the drivers door the car would cut out. After speaking with the installer and not getting the info i wanted (they said that with a PTS you have to restart the car after getting in to drive away), I did my own research and found that with my 2013 Max, I have ~ 45 sec to get in and tap the break after opening a door (so that there is a takeover from the remote starter to the car) before it cuts out. Some info said you have to press the starter button but that didnt work for me. Could be because of the type of starter I have (Compustar 2 way). I guess depending on the type of remote starter there are different takeover procedures. Find out which one works for your brand.
Good luck.
Yeah I had to experiment. I found I did have to tap the parking brake and then there is about a 3 second delay where the remote start deactivates while the car is still running-- allowing you to then shift into gear and drive off. When I step on the brake it actually displays on the 2 way key fob that the remote start is off. Just had readjust my habits and had to remember to step on the brake as soon as I got in the car before driving off...
Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by AVICJR
How do you like this alarm? Do you lose any factory functions (push button door handle unlock) with this alarm? In the market for an alarm myself.
Only drawback to the Viper 5706 is having to carry the additional key fob but it was a trade-off I was willing to make for the 2-way capability. I like getting confirmation that the car was successfully remote started.
I don't think that the range is anywhere near the 1 mile range advertised but I can remote start my car from my balcony while my car is parked in a back parking lot near my building-- and I can't even see my car!

I bought an extra key fob just to have a spare and I added a tilt sensor so the alarm will go off if someone jacks up the car to steal the wheels/tires. You can set the shock sensor on the alarm depending on the protection you want. I sometimes park next to a warehouse dock at work and the alarm will go off when the fork lift hits the dock plate between the dock and the semi trailer-- the loud bang is sometimes enough to set off my alarm.

I love this system & highly recommend it-- you can add the Viper Smart Start module which allows you to operate the alarm (and have a virtually endless range) using your cell phone but there is a monthly charge for the service. At this point, I don't feel I need this capability...
Old 02-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Thank you JRod!! Last question: aside from the tilt sensor, was there anything else you added to the alarm? I see people saying you need to get this or that extra. Thanks again for your time!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:42 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by AVICJR
Thank you JRod!! Last question: aside from the tilt sensor, was there anything else you added to the alarm? I see people saying you need to get this or that extra. Thanks again for your time!
The only other option I considered was a glass break sensor. Glad I didn't get it--I just had them make the shock sensor a little more sensitive. I have tapped the quarter panel with my fist and the Viper has given me a warning chirp. I am pretty sure that if someone smashes my window, the shock sensor will pick it up and set the alarm off.

Oh and if you are real paranoid about people walking up to your car, I believe that there is a proximity sensor you can add. It works kind of like sonar around your car where if someone gets close, it will give some warning chirps before going into full alarm if they don't back away. I didn't get this-- I'm not as paranoid about my cars as I used to be. Good medication helps... LOL
Old 02-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Thank you!!