7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Snow Tire/Wheel Package 2014 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 PM

Snow Tire/Wheel Package 2014 Sport

Thought I would share pics/thoughts of new snow tire/wheel setup on Maxima

215/55R17 Michelin X-ice Xi3 with Enkei M52 rims from Tire Rack. Went without TPMS as I knew having to go to dealer to re-program at each change would annoy me greatly.

Of course, since I put them on a few weeks ago only one short trip in snow which was no problem whatsoever. Dry traction has been better than expected, and the car actually feels quite a bit quicker under full acceleration (likely due to lighter wheel/tire and much less dry grip).

So far so good, I'll update once I have the chance to drive through some real snow. Also, I did drive the stock 19's in the snow a few times before switching over and they handled okay, better than I expected.
Attached Thumbnails Snow Tire/Wheel Package 2014 Sport-fullsizerender-6-.jpg   Snow Tire/Wheel Package 2014 Sport-fullsizerender-7-.jpg  
Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Discount tire activated my TPMS for free. Now have both sets with sensors.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice! What did the package run you?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by holeinone
Nice! What did the package run you?
Package was $1,213. Also got a $70 mail in rebate from Michelin.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:24 AM

Those look great... real nice choice on the wheels.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM

How about not driving a new car or any good "summer" car in the winter period? Maybe get a garage and a winter beater or 4x4 and save the cash one would spend on a winter tire/wheel set for a good summer set. Just not a fan of driving my 2014 Maxima SV in the snow or ice, and I'm in MN. Priorities. If you are near MN I will sell you one of my winter autos for same price you spent on tire/wheel set. 99 dakota 4x4 and 98 grand prix both with 150k on them run great! Hopefully you live in a state that doesn't use salt on the roads.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gunnerT
How about not driving a new car or any good "summer" car in the winter period? Maybe get a garage and a winter beater or 4x4 and save the cash one would spend on a winter tire/wheel set for a good summer set. Just not a fan of driving my 2014 Maxima SV in the snow or ice, and I'm in MN. Priorities. If you are near MN I will sell you one of my winter autos for same price you spent on tire/wheel set. 99 dakota 4x4 and 98 grand prix both with 150k on them run great! Hopefully you live in a state that doesn't use salt on the roads.
The Maxima is a perfectly capable FWD daily driver for the winter as long as you take care of proper maintenance during the rougher winter months and refrain from driving like a doofus, and know when you're better off just staying at home.

I live in the northeast and would consider it to be more of a hassle to have to worry about another vehicle in the winter.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by j_dubb
The Maxima is a perfectly capable FWD daily driver for the winter as long as you take care of proper maintenance during the rougher winter months and refrain from driving like a doofus, and know when you're better off just staying at home. I live in the northeast and would consider it to be more of a hassle to have to worry about another vehicle in the winter.
I agree, the Max is a perfectly capable car to get you through the winters. Never had any problems with my 1st 7th-gen (2009 SV) in the winters that I drove her in. I agree with many others that you'll be fine as long as you respect the road/weather conditions then you'll have nothing to worry about.

I do have to disagree about having to worry about a 2nd vehicle in the winter, though, because I feel it's exactly the opposite: it's almost kind of liberating to not... care .. if anything happens to the winter vehicle. I obviously stay on top of service and preventative maintenance and respect the conditions when they are present, but it's nice to not care and fill it with 87, throw whatever supplies in it and not worry if anything happens (dings, dents, scratches on body, rips in leather, etc etc)

And not that I have any of the above stated issues per se; she's actually in great condition for an 02, but it's just nice to not really give a sh*t if/when anything happens for the time you use it. I dunno, just a frame of mind thing I guess.

The 4x4 speaks for itself but still, you gotta respect the conditions; I'm not one of these tools that think I can go 80mph in a blizzard just due to 4x4 and then you'll see me in an embankment on the side of the road a few miles later. Lol, those guys really crack me up!!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by gunnerT

I'm in metro Detroit, and these types of thoughts are exactly why I bought my Maxima instead of one of the used BMW 5 series or M37s I was looking at. The Maxima is a nice enough car, but it is just a good-looking fwd workhorse for me.

I travel a lot for work and don't want the hassle of maintaining an older beater for winter. I used to take the wife's 4x4 when needed but with three young kids I don't want her to ever be without her truck. So far the Maxima has proven to be a very competent winter vehicle even with the stock 19s, and the snow tire set just makes it that much better.

Snow tires are also much cheaper than the replacement stock 19 inch tires when they wear out. Also, I cannot imagine what the cost to replace one of the 19 inch rims would be if I hit a pothole with it.

I make it a point to wash our cars at least once a week, and sooner if I drive through a lot of salt. I also installed large ceiling fans in garage and will eventually heat the garage, to help get rid of moisture. That regimen has worked fine for me thus far, and I have not had any rust issues with any of my cars (including the numerous high-mileage ten-plus year old cars I've owned in the past).
Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by kruegs
Those look great... real nice choice on the wheels.
Thanks! I spent several hours looking at countless different styles online. I found Tire-Rack's tool which allows you to view wheels on car to be invaluable.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:45 AM

I just went with the Hankook W409's and I have to say I'm loving the tire, my car handles great in snow and Ice , traction control rarely actives and I was concerned at highway speeds due to the soft nature of the tire but even at 90 they are good. They have a T speed rating which is 116MPH I believe. They were pricey at 900 just for tires but I got 245/50/R18's on stock rims. I have a set of 20" wheels and tires for summer!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by seesole
I just went with the Hankook W409's and I have to say I'm loving the tire, my car handles great in snow and Ice
Just had the W419's put on my 2013 and so far so good. Can I ask you what pressure you inflate your Hankook's to? The sidewall states 50psi which seems high....compared to my all seasons anyways. The dealership filled them to about 38psi so I'm now wondering if that's correct or should I be maxing them out?!?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 PM

Look's wicked. A white car with a darker rim will always been up there in my books!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jprocs24
Look's wicked. A white car with a darker rim will always been up there in my books!
Damn straight.