7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Stereo install, AAM exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Update on Stereo install, AAM exhaust

My install on my Stereo equipment was completed yesterday with Kicker CS series 6x9's in the front doors and 6.5's in the rear doors. (pics here from my other post http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/bossman0150/profile/) The biggest thing I have learned is I should have replaced the dash speakers as well. According to the installer they are in-line with the front door speakers and he really advised against dissconnecting them. So he lelft them hooked up and I think I agree with him that they need to remain, but compared to the new Kickers in the doors they are harsh and loud, so I can't really crank it to super high levels because the dash speakers have such loud high end it hurts my ears. They don't sound horrible, and I am really surprised they are taking the much higher power being supplied to them compared to the factory amp but they are just too much. I had to fade to the back about 5 notches to make it comfortable. I think I am going to replace them with JL c2 series 3.5 inch, that should remove the harshness and help them to blend better.

Also the Kicker CS series speakers are pretty good, but not great. They go well with the cheaper Soundstream 4 channel amp that is pushing them. Eventually I am going to replace them with JL C2 series as well and go with a JL HD 4 channel amp to push everything, but that can wait a while. This setup with the JL amp/sub is MUCH better than the stock Bose system. The stock Bose speakers are a joke. This is coming from a Bose fan, I have a vintage Bose Lifstyle home theater 5.1 system I bought brand new in '95 and it still sounds amazing today. Really dissapointed in what they put their name in for car stereo stuff.

As for the AAM exhaust, I have really learned to like the noise from it. I am no longer annoyed with the sound at any speed and actually find it comforting as I drive. I am dissapointed in AAM though, I contacted them mid week last week with pics and an explanation that one side of the final run of pipe is longer than the other, forcing me to have both tips sticking out much farther than I would like. Also because of that the right side tip hangs 1/2-3/4 in ch lower than the left. They said they would get right back to me and I have heard nothing. I will probably end up taking to a shop and having them make it right even if it means having to cut and weld. I am too OCD to leave it like it is.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:18 AM

I am by no means an audio expert, but you shouldn't need your dash speakers. I completely gutted my Bose stereo and I have plenty of sound running just 5 drivers, (R mid and tweeter, L mid and tweeter, and subwoofer in trunk) no dash speakers, no rear door speakers, and no rear deck speakers. Try disconnecting the dash speakers and if you can turn the gain/sensitivity down on the rear door speakers on the amp or keep them faded towards the front. You should be able to get nice and loud with what you have.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Just a quick update, I just talked to my salesman and I am going to swap out the JL w1 in a sealed box for a JL 10w6v3 in a ported box and changing the amp from the JX250 to a Crescendo Audio Symphony 600.1. Should rock pretty hard!

Also, I sent another email to AAM. They sent me a reply saying that the 5" tips are supposed to stick out farther than the 3", but failed to address the other issues at all, and even after a third email I have not heard anything else. Sigh.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bossman150
Just a quick update, I just talked to my salesman and I am going to swap out the JL w1 in a sealed box for a JL 10w6v3 in a ported box and changing the amp from the JX250 to a Crescendo Audio Symphony 600.1. Should rock pretty hard!

Also, I sent another email to AAM. They sent me a reply saying that the 5" tips are supposed to stick out farther than the 3", but failed to address the other issues at all, and even after a third email I have not heard anything else. Sigh.
When I had my AAM I was OCD about the tips also... I took it to a Big Al's Muffler shop and had them weld the tips, looked much better..
Old 04-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Go with the 12"

Did you look at the thin woofers? Like a tw3 or tw6