7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the full potential of the Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What's the full potential of the Maxima?

I know intake and exhaust don't have that much HP gain for the Maxima so what does? Just wanted to see what people have tried so far. I know it has a CVT engine but what's its full potential. Ive always been about speed over aesthetics.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:33 PM
RR5

Originally Posted by BlacknBlueMaxi
I know intake and exhaust don't have that much HP gain for the Maxima so what does? Just wanted to see what people have tried so far. I know it has a CVT engine but what's its full potential. Ive always been about speed over aesthetics.
CVT engine?
Old 04-27-2015, 04:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

An aftermarket y-pipe will give you noticeable gains. Intake will not.

CVT is the transmission.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:49 AM

The CVT is a huge limiting factor, the Maximas are very undertuned. This is a very capable engine but Nissan limits the throttle to 40% over a certain speed, I think its about 90.

I took my car to an open track this weekend and raced a few times. Most of the cars I raced were stock Mustangs from the late 80's to early 2000's. Almost all of them took me off the line but I would catch them by the time I hit 50-60 and would pass them easily, a couple of them really easily. Not one of them was faster than me from 40ish to 100ish but most of them would start to catch up beyond that point, 1 of them actually passed me at about 120, it was a mid 90's blown Cobra. This track use to be an airport so we had long straights we were racing on, I would get up to about 130-135 before I had to start slowing down.

Without the throttle limitation none of the races would have been even close, even the blown Cobra I don't think. I had a long lead when he started to catch me. Nissan limits the throttle because the CVT might not take the full power the engine can give at high speed. I have the AAM exhaust and Racingline Y pipe, so I should be well over 300hp. My max is heavier then the Mustangs but also has more HP and torque then most of the Stangs I raced. IIRC most of those years had 200-250ish stock.

The kids I was racing were pretty shocked lol, they all thought they would destroy me. All of them were high school or just beyond.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 AM

I think I've only seen 1 person dyno the 7gen stock. Which was mentioned before, have given inconsistant numbers. But based off the dyno he was hitting 220-230whp which isn't a lot. I LOVE my 7gen, but sadly, if you bought the car for performance then you have wasted your money=/. I know the engine throws 290bhp but for a FWD car and hitting roughly 220-230whp is a BIG loss to me, those are RWD power loss specs IMHO. If the 7gen had a better trans to help with the performance and Nissan made this vehicle more mod friendly whp stock would be closer to 245-250'ish(again cant prove due to crappy CVT). And already 1 brave soul has attempted throwing a turbo on the car with no true success I believe, I think he had to settle with 3psi?? which isn't worth it when you turbo a car ideally thats like a maaaaybe 15-30whp gain. That type of gain is like installing headers and a tune majority of the time but paying $$$$ for it=/ with the badass BOV sound=D. I do believe that IF Nissan came out with a badass interchangeable CVT for our models then the performance would be amazing(thats big dreaming on an idea that won't happen). And the only thing close to that would be the new 8gen max but i don't think the CVT is interchangeable and its improved but no one knows but how much yet...at least i dont think so. This is also my 1st maxima so I don't know too much about it and others may say I'm an idiot so my disclaimer is that this is all based off what I've researched prior to purchasing my Maxima.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Bossman150
The CVT is a huge limiting factor, the Maximas are very undertuned. This is a very capable engine but Nissan limits the throttle to 40% over a certain speed, I think its about 90.

I took my car to an open track this weekend and raced a few times. Most of the cars I raced were stock Mustangs from the late 80's to early 2000's. Almost all of them took me off the line but I would catch them by the time I hit 50-60 and would pass them easily, a couple of them really easily. Not one of them was faster than me from 40ish to 100ish but most of them would start to catch up beyond that point, 1 of them actually passed me at about 120, it was a mid 90's blown Cobra. This track use to be an airport so we had long straights we were racing on, I would get up to about 130-135 before I had to start slowing down.

Without the throttle limitation none of the races would have been even close, even the blown Cobra I don't think. I had a long lead when he started to catch me. Nissan limits the throttle because the CVT might not take the full power the engine can give at high speed. I have the AAM exhaust and Racingline Y pipe, so I should be well over 300hp. My max is heavier then the Mustangs but also has more HP and torque then most of the Stangs I raced. IIRC most of those years had 200-250ish stock.

The kids I was racing were pretty shocked lol, they all thought they would destroy me. All of them were high school or just beyond.

Haha that's the way to do it. Yeah I guess I'll just get the motordyne y pipe and exhaust. I've never been a fan of the mustang, I'm glad you stunted on them. I am just jealous my BMW friends that get to chip their 335s and have over 400 HP just on the wheels.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nihon7GM
I think I've only seen 1 person dyno the 7gen stock. Which was mentioned before, have given inconsistant numbers. But based off the dyno he was hitting 220-230whp which isn't a lot. I LOVE my 7gen, but sadly, if you bought the car for performance then you have wasted your money=/. I know the engine throws 290bhp but for a FWD car and hitting roughly 220-230whp is a BIG loss to me, those are RWD power loss specs IMHO. If the 7gen had a better trans to help with the performance and Nissan made this vehicle more mod friendly whp stock would be closer to 245-250'ish(again cant prove due to crappy CVT). And already 1 brave soul has attempted throwing a turbo on the car with no true success I believe, I think he had to settle with 3psi?? which isn't worth it when you turbo a car ideally thats like a maaaaybe 15-30whp gain. That type of gain is like installing headers and a tune majority of the time but paying $$$$ for it=/ with the badass BOV sound=D. I do believe that IF Nissan came out with a badass interchangeable CVT for our models then the performance would be amazing(thats big dreaming on an idea that won't happen). And the only thing close to that would be the new 8gen max but i don't think the CVT is interchangeable and its improved but no one knows but how much yet...at least i dont think so. This is also my 1st maxima so I don't know too much about it and others may say I'm an idiot so my disclaimer is that this is all based off what I've researched prior to purchasing my Maxima.
What your saying makes sense. I bought the Maxima because I use to have a 2002 maxima which got totaled in a snow accident and I've always been a fan of the car. Plus being a college student, I don't want to be dealing with BMW and Mercedes maintenance. The Maxima is just a balance of everything and looks great in my opinion. I just wanted to do what could be done to it to make it faster. Like I was saying "full potential". Thanks everyone for the replies! I will be posting pictures of my "Black And Blue" maxi after I finish adding everything I want. Just ordered tinted tailights, coming in tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
An aftermarket y-pipe will give you noticeable gains. Intake will not.

CVT is the transmission.
Sorry that's what I meant. I sound like a noob -__-. Your maxima is gorgeous by the way. I ****s with the rims a lot.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM

I know it has a CVT engine but what's its full potential. Ive always been about speed over aesthetics.
its CVT transmission, theyre too new of technology and arent holding up in much besides small 4 cylinder compacts really. anything with a blown CVT, usually Murano that comes to work we send right to the Nissan dealership for warranty. we perfected traditional automatic transmissions when TCM and electronics came in around the late 70s early 80s but went to CVT for fuel economy

last i heard a few months ago from guys is its rumored manufacturers might go back to regular automatics because of the problems CVT have been having but i dont know how true that is
Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 PM

Sorry that's what I meant. I sound like a noob -__-. Your maxima is gorgeous by the way. I ****s with the rims a lot.
Thanks , the OEM rims are nice looking. There's been plenty of times when I've said something different than what I meant, no worries .
Old 05-02-2015, 08:53 PM

https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...deo-proof.html

See above. This isn't correct. There is no throttle limitation. And the CVT is more robust and reliable than most automatic transmission on the road. If you bought the Maxima for a track car and severely abuse it, the Maxima or any other CVT equipped car might not be the best. However, after 145,000 miles, mine has tolerated a moderate level of abuse with flawless beauty. These are great vehicles with superb transmissions. Nothing wrong with the CVT. Do you know who makes these CVTs?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV

See above. This isn't correct. There is no throttle limitation. And the CVT is more robust and reliable than most automatic transmission on the road. If you bought the Maxima for a track car and severely abuse it, the Maxima or any other CVT equipped car might not be the best. However, after 145,000 miles, mine has tolerated a moderate level of abuse with flawless beauty. These are great vehicles with superb transmissions. Nothing wrong with the CVT. Do you know who makes these CVTs?
Uh, if you read my post I was talking about the throttle limitation above 85mph, so yes it is correct. The CVT is not more robust and reliable than most automatics on the road lol. If it was they would not have put such a long warranty on them because of all the documented issues. The concept has the potential of being a great transmission, but it just is not in its current form. Its ok maybe even good depending on how you drive, but far from great, especially for a car with this much power. To be clear I am only talking about the CVT in the Maxima, I have not done any real research on other CVTs. Just because you got 145k on it does not make them superb, I have taken almost every car I have owned over 100k, a couple close to 150k and I have never had a single transmission issue. Not even once, and I am on my 10th car. One car to 145k means little.

Last edited by Bossman150; 05-02-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:30 PM

Nothing wrong with the CVT. Do you know who makes these CVTs?
Believe the CVT's are made by JATCO a company majority owned by Nissan.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:59 PM

Uh, if you read my post I was talking about the throttle limitation above 85mph, so yes it is correct. The CVT is not more robust and reliable than most automatics on the road lol. If it was they would not have put such a long warranty on them because of all the documented issues. The concept has the potential of being a great transmission, but it just is not in its current form. Its ok maybe even good depending on how you drive, but far from great, especially for a car with this much power. To be clear I am only talking about the CVT in the Maxima, I have not done any real research on other CVTs. Just because you got 145k on it does not make them superb, I have taken almost every car I have owned over 100k, a couple close to 150k and I have never had a single transmission issue. Not even once, and I am on my 10th car. One car to 145k means little.
Yup. Sorry, sir. I mis-read your post. I think I am going cross-eyed because I swore I read "40% throttle up to 40mph and then again 85-90 and up". Wasn't flaming - just misread. Apologies.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. MY personal opinion is that Nissan scored big by putting the CVT in every single model except the GT-R, 370Z and Titan (Frontier also??) The Maxima is absolutely no different from any other mass-produced premium family sedan on the road - i.e., the CVT isn't such a bomb. It's a boat, but for what it is and what Nissan designed it to be, it scores big. I see the statement a lot that "it's very detuned" by Nissan and a lot of people throw in that "the CVT is too weak to handle more power". I guess I don't know what that means. It runs an optimal timing advance, a perfect performance 12.5:1 A:F ratio at WOT. It achieves 0-60 in around 6 seconds, which is decent for a 3400 lb car. It is comfortable, quiet, smooth and performs on-par with other vehicles in its class. It's a great car, IMO and has been extremely easy on the wallet to own and maintain. I just don't see how the CVT puts it at a disadvantage. Just my opinion...
Old 05-03-2015, 05:26 AM

Yup. Sorry, sir. I mis-read your post. I think I am going cross-eyed because I swore I read "40% throttle up to 40mph and then again 85-90 and up". Wasn't flaming - just misread. Apologies.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. MY personal opinion is that Nissan scored big by putting the CVT in every single model except the GT-R, 370Z and Titan (Frontier also??) The Maxima is absolutely no different from any other mass-produced premium family sedan on the road - i.e., the CVT isn't such a bomb. It's a boat, but for what it is and what Nissan designed it to be, it scores big. I see the statement a lot that "it's very detuned" by Nissan and a lot of people throw in that "the CVT is too weak to handle more power". I guess I don't know what that means. It runs an optimal timing advance, a perfect performance 12.5:1 A:F ratio at WOT. It achieves 0-60 in around 6 seconds, which is decent for a 3400 lb car. It is comfortable, quiet, smooth and performs on-par with other vehicles in its class. It's a great car, IMO and has been extremely easy on the wallet to own and maintain. I just don't see how the CVT puts it at a disadvantage. Just my opinion...
Well said 👌
Old 05-03-2015, 03:40 PM

Never said it wasn't a great car, I love mine like crazy. I just think it would be better with a 6speed manual or traditional auto.

Last edited by Bossman150; 05-03-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:00 PM

A 6spd manual...oh heck yeah. This is my 5th vehicle and first CVT. All previous 4 cars were manual. I swore I would NEVER own an automatic. After having this car though, i would have to think real long and hard about CVT versus a manual. I probably wouldnt even consider a car with a traditional automatic. Just my preference.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:17 PM

CVT limits modding
AT LEAST WITH THIS PLATFORM...
Old 05-03-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by george__
CVT limits modding
AT LEAST WITH THIS PLATFORM...
Depends on the mods. You're fine with NA mods - FI mods are a whole different ballgame and probably asking for trouble.

I look for traditional autos to be phased out in the future and CVTs to take over.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 PM

Depends on the mods. You're fine with NA mods - FI mods are a whole different ballgame and probably asking for trouble.

I look for traditional autos to be phased out in the future and CVTs to take over.
Are there a lot of NA mods for these cars? Like look at the gen 5 compared to similar era G35
Old 05-04-2015, 01:37 AM

186,000 miles on original automatic tranny here, will the CVTs last this long you think? I read some stories already about the problems and it just came out. Pocket tech I call it lol
Old 05-04-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
186,000 miles on original automatic tranny here, will the CVTs last this long you think? I read some stories already about the problems and it just came out. Pocket tech I call it lol
I had a Nissan built (Jatco) CVT tranny in my wife's '07 Dodge Caliber for 5 years with no problems.

Just love the CVT in my 7th Gen Maxima SV Sport, don't think I would be getting 8 L- 100 Kms gas milage with a regular automatic.

Last edited by xlimodriver; 05-04-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 PM

I'm actually really enjoying my 7th gen
Old 05-05-2015, 06:13 AM

So just so everyone is on the same page because sometimes it SEEMS like the debate about the CVT in the 7gen is coming from different people talking about the SAME trans with DIFFERENT goals/ideas of the CVT. The CVT in the 7gen is great for the normal consumer that doesn't mod and simply drives the car for what it is.....or even for those who make it a show car and drive 5mph UNDER the speedlimit to show the car and how nice it looks=). However, in terms of modifications this CVT is crap. Even for N/A standards. No one yet really knows the full potential of the 7gen since its practically impossible to get an accurate dyno. Think about it....people are talking about the ypipe being the best bang for buck performance mod which is 12-14'ish whp....that's great don't get me wrong but in my eyes, best bang for buck mod SHOULD be headers/header(depending on car=) ). That's the same reason why no one has really made a really good headers set for our 7gens since making the 7gen into a performance car was shot down. Yes you can still mod this car for performance, but no one really knows the limitations of the CVT N/A wise cuz we don't have the full tuning support for this car. Someone has already done a turbo setup and with no success limiting them to around 3psi?? I cant remember. Conclusion, until we get a mod friendly/stronger and better trans our cars won't reach its full potential-.- . Only if Nissan could give us a performance transmission so our cars can hit the 280-310whp range N/A would be AWESOME! lol......otherwise go turbo or nitrous blow up tranny/rinse and repeat if you have the money hahaha
Old 05-05-2015, 06:59 AM

I don't beat on my car, but I also do not baby it. I'm happy with its performance. I test drove this gen several times, so I knew what I was getting. I don't believe that it's meant to be driven conservatively.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:49 AM

I don't beat on my car, but I also do not baby it. I'm happy with its performance. I test drove this gen several times, so I knew what I was getting. I don't believe that it's meant to be driven conservatively.
I agree, the performance is pretty decent for the car. I just don't like the fact that the car has such a great engine yet has a crappy trans to balance it out lol. I could pretty much w/o a doubt if the 7gen had a waay better trans(manual preferred lol) you would see waaay more maximas around built and racing-.- sad that its not that way....soooo much potential for this car that went down the drain. BUT I know this car is great for the general consumer but oh wells just my 2 cents lol. I still LOVe driving this car and still plan on modding it out. Granted this time around will be more exterior and interior stuff but I do plan on the commonly used performance upgrades that are out there...intake/exhaust(motordyne lol)/manifold spacers/BOP/pulley
Old 05-05-2015, 11:54 AM

Spend your money for the intake on something else.....no performance gain there. I still have my Stillen intake....haven't sold it because I may give this car to my daughter a little down the line when she's old enough to drive....she was actually dissapointed when I took it off.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Spend your money for the intake on something else.....no performance gain there. I still have my Stillen intake....haven't sold it because I may give this car to my daughter a little down the line when she's old enough to drive....she was actually dissapointed when I took it off.

Well my plans are for the K&N Drop in. The intake will be an eventually bought item simply for the sound AND if the price drops or someone sells it used for a good price(price reflecting what its worth) which wouldnt be anything over $120 lol. I know most say that the intake doesn't provide any gains but since dynos have been so inaccuracte and hard to prove anything i'll stick with the basic knowledge that it'll add at least 2-4whp(which isn't anything at all but still something then nothing)=).
Old 05-05-2015, 12:36 PM

Car will feel somewhat bogged down in the lower RPM's. But if you want sound...it will give you that.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nihon7GM
I agree, the performance is pretty decent for the car. I just don't like the fact that the car has such a great engine yet has a crappy trans to balance it out lol. I could pretty much w/o a doubt if the 7gen had a waay better trans(manual preferred lol) you would see waaay more maximas around built and racing-.- sad that its not that way....soooo much potential for this car that went down the drain. BUT I know this car is great for the general consumer but oh wells just my 2 cents lol. I still LOVe driving this car and still plan on modding it out. Granted this time around will be more exterior and interior stuff but I do plan on the commonly used performance upgrades that are out there...intake/exhaust(motordyne lol)/manifold spacers/BOP/pulley
Question: A CVT can't support a 50hp addition but a traditional auto can? A dyno is great to tune the car. The real-world test to determine performance and increase in power is to take it to the track and get some real numbers. Who cares how many who the car is pumping out...the most important measure is how fast your car can accelerate and how fast it can go. Just my dumb ole opinion.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 AM

Question: A CVT can't support a 50hp addition but a traditional auto can? A dyno is great to tune the car. The real-world test to determine performance and increase in power is to take it to the track and get some real numbers. Who cares how many who the car is pumping out...the most important measure is how fast your car can accelerate and how fast it can go. Just my dumb ole opinion.

I'm not saying the car can't handle 50hp. What I am saying is that from research and what others seem to say is the CVT can't handle TOO much hp. What I mentioned about is that our car has such a great motor that we have the potential of hitting anywhere from 260whp-300whp N/A(290bhp which would be 300-340'ish crank hp with upgrades??). However, what is stopping that is the CVT(N/A wise is the lack of performance support-.- ). We already had a guy try and turbo the car with no success due to CVT putting the car in limp mode or something of the sort because it could not handle the added whp(or sudden rise in boost/hp gain). You are talking about times which I agree dyno + track times help with proving things like speed/drivers ability/time sheets. HOWEVER, how many 7 gens do you actually see at the track doing such, most have stated that its pointless to dyno the 7gen especially with NO dyno mode(#'s are soo inconsistant - hard to determine actual gains=/). Where as even the traditional auto has seen boosted/SC cars (at least 8psi) and also handling nitrous 50-150 shots. So in terms yes I am saying the traditional auto will handle the mass whp gain better then our CVT. We don't even have anything to make our 7gen CVTs better, at least I haven't seen anyone say anything about it(only heard nothing is out there to make it better). I've seen 1 video of a modded 7gen go against a mini cooper s apparently with a supercharge kit. Yes the Max won from what I seen in the video but I haven't seen too many 7gens race track or street(there was also 1 vid of a 7gen max at the track forgot who it ran against tho). So 2 Vids of the 7gen max racing. Basically what I am saying is it has been difficult to determine the 7gen max's FULL potential which was what the OP was asking. Especially since our cars have to deal with hitting the 85mph and sudden power loss.

Last edited by Nihon7GM; 05-07-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:56 AM

4dsc......not!!!!

Most of you seem to think that the decal stuck on the rear side window is actually true.
If you really want 3.5 second 0-60 times and 10-11 second quarter mile runs in a 4door save up your money and buy this.

Top Speed: 186 MPH

0-60: 3.5 Seconds

The newest E63 AMG from Mercedes-Benz has 577 HP and all-wheel drive in S 4Matic trim. It'll hit 60 in a scarcely believable 3.5 seconds.
Me, if I ever feel the need too speed I just get in my 31 year old 2door coupe.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM

Still a classy & sporty looking ride!