7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE....SOMEONE prove this "throttle limitation"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 PM

PLEASE....SOMEONE prove this "throttle limitation"

Okidoki, folks. One of my pet peeves is sharing misinformation. Drives me all kinds of crazy.

Can someone actually PROVE that these 7th gen Maximas cut throttle off the line. I have seen on this forum anything from "50% throttle up to 80mph" to "the transmission will break if full power were applied" but most common is "Nissan limits throttle up to 40mph". Everyone has the (I truly feel) big misconception that the CVT is a fragile, weak transmission. Mine has lasted 144,000mi of abusive driving with good oil analyses.

These cars DO cut throttle down to around 44% at speeds over 85mph. Not interested in hashing that out again. Yup...agreed...they do it and it happens...yup...thanks.

Speed is 0mph, you smack the throttle to the floor....what does the throttle plate do? Please begin discussion....FACTS only, please.

Thanks,
Trav

Last edited by CorollaULEV; 04-27-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 AM

It has been shown with data logging the throttle input vs actual.
I'm sure if you searched the forum enough you would find the information yourself.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Correct...a couple of the guys have posted about this. I think it may have been Ghozt & Racerbox77.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 AM

Sorry man it is not misinformation, it is TRUE INFORMATION.

Speed Limiter Removal
The ECU monitors the transmission mounted speed sensor to determine vehicle speed. When the vehicle speed limit is reached, the ECU cuts the fuel flow to the engine to slow the car.

The signal path for the vehicle speed sensor is as follows:

Sensor to Speedometer
Speedometer to ECU & Cruise Control

If the signal is interrupted at the actual connection to the ECU, speedometer, odometer and cruise control functions are preserved. The ECU does not receive a vehicle speed signal, therefore it will not limit the vehicle speed.

This modification is easy. But beware, it does include mutilation of the factory ECU wiring harness...not for the squeamish.

1.Disconnect negative battery terminal.
2.remove ECU cover from passenger side footwall.
3.Loosen bolt in center of main ECU connector.
4.Unplug main ECU connector.
5.Remove snap-on plastic cover from ECU connector.
6.Locate PINK wire with BLUE stripe. (this wire is located on the right half of the connector when plugged in)
7.Cut PINK/BLUE wire.
8.Reassemble ECU connection.
9.Reconnect negative battery terminal.
10.Drive 140mph.

There has to be like 12 pink and blue wires in that pic. How do I distinguish anybody got pic I don't want go through cutting wire yo!
VqMonstaR is offline Report Post
Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Snapper1978
Sorry man it is not misinformation, it is TRUE INFORMATION.

Speed Limiter Removal
The ECU monitors the transmission mounted speed sensor to determine vehicle speed. When the vehicle speed limit is reached, the ECU cuts the fuel flow to the engine to slow the car.

The signal path for the vehicle speed sensor is as follows:

Sensor to Speedometer
Speedometer to ECU & Cruise Control

If the signal is interrupted at the actual connection to the ECU, speedometer, odometer and cruise control functions are preserved. The ECU does not receive a vehicle speed signal, therefore it will not limit the vehicle speed.

This modification is easy. But beware, it does include mutilation of the factory ECU wiring harness...not for the squeamish.

1.Disconnect negative battery terminal.
2.remove ECU cover from passenger side footwall.
3.Loosen bolt in center of main ECU connector.
4.Unplug main ECU connector.
5.Remove snap-on plastic cover from ECU connector.
6.Locate PINK wire with BLUE stripe. (this wire is located on the right half of the connector when plugged in)
7.Cut PINK/BLUE wire.
8.Reassemble ECU connection.
9.Reconnect negative battery terminal.
10.Drive 140mph.

There has to be like 12 pink and blue wires in that pic. How do I distinguish anybody got pic I don't want go through cutting wire yo!
VqMonstaR is offline Report Post
And the above ^^^ will allow our cars to perform full throttle at 100% of the time? Off the line and past 85, am I getting that right?

Do we know of anybody who has done this yet? As I'm sure that's a warranty voider.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by VVhite-0ut
And the above ^^^ will allow our cars to perform full throttle at 100% of the time? Off the line and past 85, am I getting that right?

Do we know of anybody who has done this yet? As I'm sure that's a warranty voider.
Big time warranty voider for engine and CVT work.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:09 PM

Someone has done it on the 7GM Facebook group to do 1/4 mile runs. The transmission blew shortly after.

https://www.facebook.com/blue.desire...23/?permPage=1
Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 PM

Nope. Lets redirect this back on track, here. My question is:

Has anyone provided evidence of the Maxima cutting throttle in off-the-line acceleration? I dont care about going 85mph because I dont go 85mph on public highways and dont track the car.

What does the throttle body do when I floor the gas pedal from a stop with the transmission in Drive? People say it limits throttle to "protect the transmission". I searched the forum and found nothing.

Does it limit throttle to 10% up until 40mph, 30% until 20mph, 83% until 17.9mph, 69% until 69mph??? What happens to the actual throttle when you floor it from a stop?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Daaavid
Someone has done it on the 7GM Facebook group to do 1/4 mile runs. The transmission blew shortly after.

https://www.facebook.com/blue.desire...23/?permPage=1

Ok 1 I understand why tranny went boom and 2 WOW that thing is a beast with full power....................
Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Will this work for the daily driver like me? I by no means race the max so just curious. Im cautious when it comes to the cvt.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:21 PM

The CVT was designed to be a daily driver, not for the track. There are members here with 250,000+ miles on their cars with no problems.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:40 PM

The whole point of this thread was that the throttle limitation doesnt exist. If the skid control detects wheelspin, it cuts throttle off the line. But Nissan did not design these cars to limit throttle up to a certain speed if you floor it from a stop.

I just dont like seeing misinformation. I see it so often on this forum and it just isnt true. I am asking for someone to prove me wrong. Maybe i am misinformed, but i highly doubt it. My 2010 IMMEDIATELY opens the throttle to 88% (which IS how WOT reads on these cars) when floored from a stop. I have watched it on my OBD-II scanner multiple times.

Can someone confirm that their car limits throttle up to a certain speed or rpm? Not butt dyno, but hard proof?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
The whole point of this thread was that the throttle limitation doesnt exist. If the skid control detects wheelspin, it cuts throttle off the line. But Nissan did not design these cars to limit throttle up to a certain speed if you floor it from a stop.

I just dont like seeing misinformation. I see it so often on this forum and it just isnt true. I am asking for someone to prove me wrong. Maybe i am misinformed, but i highly doubt it. My 2010 IMMEDIATELY opens the throttle to 88% (which IS how WOT reads on these cars) when floored from a stop. I have watched it on my OBD-II scanner multiple times.

Can someone confirm that their car limits throttle up to a certain speed or rpm? Not butt dyno, but hard proof?
If you believe the skid control (aka traction control) is cutting the throttle to prevent wheel slippage, then would it be fair to advise people to turn off the traction control? People claim speeds from 0-40 mph and after 85-90+ mph will drop the throttle to ~40%. UpRev confirms this with their development tunes, and they are able to remove it at the risk of your transmission. There is much to be said on your end, too. If you are claiming that it does not exist, then present a video with the throttle at 88% from WOT (0-40 mph) and (85 mph+). I would not advise the latter unless you are on a safe road.

Ghozt (Dan Evans) will be able to confirm this. He has a turbocharged Maxima, and he just recently got it back after it sitting in the shop for nearly a year. If you are interested, these individuals who are making these electronic throttle cutoff claims are active on the 7GM Facebook group as Dan runs the group himself.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Daaavid
If you believe the skid control (aka traction control) is cutting the throttle to prevent wheel slippage, then would it be fair to advise people to turn off the traction control? People claim speeds from 0-40 mph and after 85-90+ mph will drop the throttle to ~40%. UpRev confirms this with their development tunes, and they are able to remove it at the risk of your transmission. There is much to be said on your end, too. If you are claiming that it does not exist, then present a video with the throttle at 88% from WOT (0-40 mph) and (85 mph+). I would not advise the latter unless you are on a safe road.

Ghozt (Dan Evans) will be able to confirm this. He has a turbocharged Maxima, and he just recently got it back after it sitting in the shop for nearly a year. If you are interested, these individuals who are making these electronic throttle cutoff claims are active on the 7GM Facebook group as Dan runs the group himself.

I'm starting a new thread. I now have video proof that this is entirely false. It goes WOT 88% IMMEDIATELY from 0mph until 85 (although I did not go faster than 60). Not sure what vehicle UpRev tested, but it probably wasn't a 2010 Maxima with good tires and good traction.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
I'm starting a new thread. I now have video proof that this is entirely false. It goes WOT 88% IMMEDIATELY from 0mph until 85 (although I did not go faster than 60). Not sure what vehicle UpRev tested, but it probably wasn't a 2010 Maxima with good tires and good traction.

I'd like to see... What's the thread???
Old 05-16-2015, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Emoney66
I'd like to see... What's the thread???
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...deo-proof.html

Its actually on the next page. Im a little bitter about it because apparently some of the forum members are implying that the app is reporting data incorrectly because I didnt pay thousands of dollars for the program. I know my data is accurate, though. I have done more research than the ones that posted replies and I know exactly how the program retrieves the data.

Its there for you, tho.