7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Driver's side headlight aimed higher than passenger's

Old 04-28-2015, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Driver's side headlight aimed higher than passenger's

I need some advice. I've searched every website I could do find the answer without success.

Today, I just noticed that my driver's side headlight (Daytime running light which uses the same bulb as the high beam) is aimred significantly higher than the passenger's side. When I parked my car about 3 feet from the wall, the reflection on the wall shows my driver's side headlight about one foot higher than the passenger's side. I read that the passenger's side is usually aimed higher than the driver's side to prevent glaring to the oncoming traffic but my car is the other way around. Just for your note, I am in Canada and I have a 2014 Maxima SV (Canadian version).

Do I need to adjust my headlights? Or is this intentionally done by Nissan?

If I do need to adjust my headlights, where is the screw to adjust the headlights and what should it look like?

I would really appreciate any advice.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok. Upon more research, I found out how to adjust the headlights. It's located in EXL of FSM http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2014%20Maxima/

Now, I am still not sure what it should look like. The FSM has all the measurements using some sort of screen to adjust the headlight but I have no idea what they are doing there.

Is there an easy way to properly aim headlights?
Can I just adjust it so that the top cutoff is at the hood level and be done with it?

Please help!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:36 PM

Get the dealer to fix it, it is covered by the 3 years / 60,000km general warranty = bumper to bumper.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply. I guess that'd be the easiest route.

I have a stupid question though.

Do I need to take my car back to the dealer who I bought the car from?

Or, can I just go to any Nissan dealershop and they should honor the warranty? (such as adjusting the headlights!)
Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 PM

For something as trivial as aiming your headlights, save the hassle and do it yourself.

The dealership will be able to do it. I am not sure how to adjust the high beams, and the FSM doesn't seem to outline that. It only outlines your actual low beams (projectors) as I see the 25 feet requirements for proper adjustment, etc. Pull your car up to a wall, no matter the distance, and tape off where the cutoff line of the headlight is and tape a horizontal piece of tape onto the wall. Then go ahead and use the adjustment screws. If it is moving the projector, then stop and return it back to the original position and look for another adjustment screw. If not, then turn on your high beams and give it another shot. Search online for high beam adjustment requirements. You don't want it too high or too low.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the advice! I'll play with my headlights tonight and see if I can aim them correctly!