7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlights won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 12:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

headlights won't turn off

So a little background. I'm Canadian living in Canada. I baught my maxima around four years ago. It's American. I loved it and still do. But about less than two months into owning it, it started acting up by having the lights stay on no matter what - but only at random times. And when I went to come home from work one night it wouldn't start. It just made a bunch of staticy sounds. Got it boosted and the next day had to take it to a dealership (out of town since we didn't have a Nissan dealership in our town at the time but now do) They said since I had an American daylight sensor, it would **** with the car's electrical unit so they removed it and told me I would need to order a Canadian one because it was illegal not to have one. I said thanks, I'll get right on that. Never did. It was cool too because I now could control when the lights came on - even at night. Fast forward to until a month ago. My battery died so I thought I'd get it replaced at the new dealership that just opened up in town. They did and reprogrammed my fob key (free of charge). That's what my receipt says. When I got in it to drive home. I noticed my daylights were on in the windows reflection of the dealership. I thought nothing of it though, that they must have just put something in because it was illegal the way I had it the whole time. And now tonight I went out to my car at lunch and my lights were on and I can't turn them off without disconnecting the battery. So I'm at a cross roads I guess. Do I go back and tell them to undo whatever they did to my lights? Even though the receipt says nothing about it? I don't want to pay for a full car scan to find out what the problem is when I know it's something that they did but I doubt that they'll admit to. Anyone ever hear about these cars doing this? I can't find anything about it. It's a 2011 by the way.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:04 AM

I have a Canadian model myself. When you say the lights won't turn off, do you mean the DRL portion where the high beams are? Any pics you can provide would be great to try and see what's going on.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Disconnected from battery.

Battery connected. I think it's just the normal headlights.

Again connected, different angle

that's when I put my high beams on, so it isn't them.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:06 PM

So as soon as you connect the battery the lights come on?
Have you checked the light stalk to see if it is in auto or on mode?
Have you checked the light sensitivity setting?
What model do you have?
Has there been any work done on the car just before this issue arose?
The last pic looks a bit strange as you mention you have high beams on but the are not actually on, only low beams and parking lights..
Old 07-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes to the battery being connected. Yes to the light stalk. Not sure where the light sensitive setting would be. The model is just a basic 2011, not a SV. The only work was like I said the battery change but they had to have done something with the daytime lights - they never used to come on and now they do. I thought I put my high beams on but maybe I just did something else. The blue light icon came on when I took that last picture.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-08-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:23 PM

Pull out the lo beam head light relay and see if it goes off. It's with the fuses under the hood. The relay may be stuck although unlikely. You can try switching it with another one of the same type.