7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Planning to Buy a 7th gen need your insight

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015 | 01:46 PM

Planning to Buy a 7th gen need your insight

All on the forum,

Since most of you are Max Geniuses, I am looking for some insight. As we all know the Max's go through the initial roll out with great features and then the correct some mistakes and take away good things initially included on the early gen released models.

So to the point, I have a 4th gen my beloved 97, 5 spd, SE with 225k and she is at the point of dying. Rust has taken over and the engine has a sputter that I don't have the time to diagnose. Tranny is leaking and well she is just tired. She has been a great ride and now I am looking to get a used 7th gen.

So which year is the best? What would you say are the key changes from 09-to the 15's and (I will really will miss the 5 speed) which ones have the most issues with the CV trans?

Thanks for all of your great wisdom as you have been a lot of help through the years!

Nate
Old 12-28-2015 | 02:28 PM

I have a 2009 SV sport which I bought used 4 years ago. It has been proven very reliable with the 50K miles on it. No shop time other than standard maintenance. I get 29 MPH highway and around 24 MPH mixed city/highway. I have owned a 5th gen GLE for 4 years and found that car very reliable also. There is no 2015 model, 7th gen ended with 2014. All are pretty much the same through the years with just minor changes being made. Keep in mind the 2009 and 2010 model have a 10 year 120K mile warranty on the CVT because of reported problems with some units. All other years the existing power train warranty applies. I have had no problems with my CVT, though there have been a few here that replacement was needed. There are two threads here that you can get a lot of feedback from they are "What do you like about your 7th gen" and "What don't you like about your 7th Gen". There are a lot of replies.
Old 12-28-2015 | 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I have a 2009 SV sport which I bought used 4 years ago. It has been proven very reliable with the 50K miles on it. No shop time other than standard maintenance. I get 29 MPH highway and around 24 MPH mixed city/highway. I have owned a 5th gen GLE for 4 years and found that car very reliable also. There is no 2015 model, 7th gen ended with 2014. All are pretty much the same through the years with just minor changes being made. Keep in mind the 2009 and 2010 model have a 10 year 120K mile warranty on the CVT because of reported problems with some units. All other years the existing power train warranty applies. I have had no problems with my CVT, though there have been a few here that replacement was needed. There are two threads here that you can get a lot of feedback from they are "What do you like about your 7th gen" and "What don't you like about your 7th Gen". There are a lot of replies.

Thanks I read those threads before posting but they didn't get to some of the points that I want to hear about the best years and why. I appreciate your insight on the 2009 and 2010 models CVT.
Old 12-28-2015 | 03:08 PM

I would get an 11 or 12 myself. The Bluetooth capability is a lot better than the 09 in the head unit, and there is a USB in the dash instead of a compact flash reader.
You also get the darker tails and headlights.

I have an 09 with 144k, and no major issues.
Old 12-28-2015 | 03:41 PM

The later models 12-14 look better because of wheels, tail and headlights. Also there are a few better electronic features. However I feel the 09 model was the best engineered and put together model there was.
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:19 PM

I would stick with 2012+ just because they are the last of the 7th gen and were tweaked to perfection. Also for warranty issues 2014 will still come with factory warranty which is always a plus. All depends on the features and price point. I would get a 2011 fully loaded before I got an 2014 S, again it depends on you. Car radio is not swappable, HID's and other things are so you'll have to balance those things as well. 2012+ have the tinted lights as mentioned above.
Old 12-30-2015 | 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
The later models 12-14 look better because of wheels, tail and headlights. Also there are a few better electronic features. However I feel the 09 model was the best engineered and put together model there was.
Yes it always seems as if the first model year has it nicely appointed then they get a little cheaper on the quality.

Its the bait and switch.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-30-2015 | 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by mikekay
I would stick with 2012+ just because they are the last of the 7th gen and were tweaked to perfection. Also for warranty issues 2014 will still come with factory warranty which is always a plus. All depends on the features and price point. I would get a 2011 fully loaded before I got an 2014 S, again it depends on you. Car radio is not swappable, HID's and other things are so you'll have to balance those things as well. 2012+ have the tinted lights as mentioned above.
Thanks for the insight. Any recommendations on sourcing one that is in great shape and low miles? I have been using Edmunds but not sure.

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2015 | 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by nate_man

Thanks for the insight. Any recommendations on sourcing one that is in great shape and low miles? I have been using Edmunds but not sure.

Thanks,
Cars.com also. I would certainly suggest getting a certified pre owned, purchased from a reputable Nissan dealer. I've had great luck with my purchase, zero complaints about my car. Almost 40k on it and I swear it's still in as good condition as the day it rolled off production line.
Old 12-31-2015 | 07:27 AM

I love my 11', but I understand the audio/Bluetooth integration is better in the 12'+. Other than that, I don't think there are too many differences mechanically, just aesthetics. Just find the right car with the options you want.
Old 12-31-2015 | 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nate_man
All on the forum,

Since most of you are Max Geniuses, I am looking for some insight. As we all know the Max's go through the initial roll out with great features and then the correct some mistakes and take away good things initially included on the early gen released models.

So to the point, I have a 4th gen my beloved 97, 5 spd, SE with 225k and she is at the point of dying. Rust has taken over and the engine has a sputter that I don't have the time to diagnose. Tranny is leaking and well she is just tired. She has been a great ride and now I am looking to get a used 7th gen.

So which year is the best? What would you say are the key changes from 09-to the 15's and (I will really will miss the 5 speed) which ones have the most issues with the CV trans?

Thanks for all of your great wisdom as you have been a lot of help through the years!

Nate
Just don't expect the same quality in the 7th gen as you had in your 4th gen.
Old 01-04-2016 | 08:01 PM

That 4th gen was an awesome car wasn't it? That was back when Nissan used to make excellent, reliable cars....Unfortunately I can't say the same about the newer model maximas. I personally would look elsewhere and that's coming from someone who owns a 2011 maxima, first owner. If you do however decide to go for the 7th gen, be mindful of the possibility of the #1 factory bearing problem (There are 2 lengthy threads about it on this forum). Also, check or pay your trusted mechanic to inspect the cvt for early signs of failure.

By the way, I'm not fear-mongering. Just be cautious if you're going to get the 7th gen. Best of luck!

Last edited by Zygi; 01-07-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2016 | 03:02 AM

^ please tell us exactly what a mechanic would check for on the cvt.....
Old 01-05-2016 | 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
^ please tell us exactly what a mechanic would check for on the cvt.....
First thing I was thinking. I am not aware of a consistent issue with the CVT that would show signs of wear like conventional trannys slipping between shifts etc... A fluid check maybe but the CVTs here seem to just loose their **** in one day.
Old 01-05-2016 | 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zygi
That 4th gen was an awesome car wasn't it? That was back when Nissan used to make excellent, reliable cars....Unfortunately I can't say the same about the newer model maximas. I personally would look elsewhere and that's coming from someone who owns a 2011 maxima, first owner. If you do however decide to go for the 7th gen, be mindful of the possibility of the #1 factory bearing problem (There are 2 lengthy thread about it on this forum). Also, check or pay your trusted mechanic to inspect the cvt for early signs of failure.

By the way, I'm not fear-mongering. Just be cautious if you're going to get the 7th gen. Best of luck!
I agree the 4th and '02-'03 5th gens were the best. '00-'01s had their issues but still had the quality. I have had three 2013 Nissans and they all exhibited poor QC. My '05 was a better car than my 2013 and that was miles worse than my 5th gens.

The result for me is I gave Nissan every chance to show me quality and they have failed me. I mean look at me, I went through three '13's being the Nissan fanboy I was trying to give Nissan a chance. Now I am out, no more Nissan and thats coming from a guy who drove 510s in high school and read books on every nut and bolt of 510s and Z cars. I could assemble an L series in my sleep. :-)
Old 01-07-2016 | 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam
First thing I was thinking. I am not aware of a consistent issue with the CVT that would show signs of wear like conventional trannys slipping between shifts etc... A fluid check maybe but the CVTs here seem to just loose their **** in one day.
Haha Yeah it's not a traditional transmission but you can still look for things like whine or unusual sluggishness of the cvt. I'm sure a good mechanic would know what to look for but yeah, for most folks these damn things just fail out of nowhere.
Old 01-07-2016 | 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zygi
Haha Yeah it's not a traditional transmission but you can still look for things like whine or unusual sluggishness of the cvt. I'm sure a good mechanic would know what to look for but yeah, for most folks these damn things just fail out of nowhere.
Unfortunately, the CVT whines by nature under hard acceleration.